Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Rathborne, Ashtown, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rdoyle16

Thanks mikehene, that is exactly as I was saying previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

My understanding is the houses in Royal Canal Park were not bought off plan. There was a showhouse and building had started.

elainers wrote: »
    My understanding is the houses in Royal Canal Park were not bought off plan. There was a showhouse and building had started.
    I presume that was the case after the first phase was completed.? Show houses are usually completed with the first phase, as will most likely be the case in Rathborne Park also. So those coming in after us will have a better idea than us Guinea pigs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikehene

Yeah I think phase one was off plans for royal canal park also.

mikehene wrote: »
    Yeah I think phase one was off plans for royal canal park also.
    Bruncvik wrote: »
    So my question to you guys is. Did you have exact size and dimensions provided in your contracts?
    Nope.  We got the exact dimensions by measuring the rooms when we got the keys.  However, it's important to note that we only dealt with the realtor (Sherry Fitz, in our case) prior to signing the contract, and they heavily discouraged any communication with Ballymore.  An advice, which, to my regret, I followed.

Still, there were two ways to get dimensions, and we availed of both of them:

* By measuring the rooms of the show house.  And every time we went there, we found at least one other new owner doing the same.
    * By asking the on-site administrator for Ballymore for the plans.  That we got the plans appears to be more of a personal decision of the administrator than the company policy.
    Also they have allowed only 5 days from completion to get the valuation and money drawn down, which seems unrealistic. How long were you afforded.
    I think for us it was 21 days from receiving the contract, including proof of financing.  Even if the number was a bit different, Ballymore was flexible enough to let a few days slide.
    That's the quote of the first person who responded in the other thread. The second person who responded to your question said they asked for plans to be included but couldn't remember if they were or not. 
    I'll still be asking for plans to be included in mine either way. I'll take a view on whether to proceed or not after considering Castlethorn's response. I'm not refusing to sign but neither do I believe I should just roll over and go yeah, let's spend this much money with no guarantee of what they'll build just because it's the done thing. Improvements aren't made unless people challenge the status quo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 suci2016

Hi all,

By way of an update, I met with our solicitor this morning. Down to a few outstanding queries. Pretty much the same points as previously mentioned but I’ll refresh.

1. Declaration of identity. Again no map supplied outlining the boundary lines of our property. The map supplied in the first draft of the contract states for illustration purposes only. Our solicitor has kicked back on this to be furnished with a finalised map or land direct map. Think it’s under no. 25 of the special conditions in the contract.

2. No update on spec. Our solicitor has again kicked back on this but not likely to get any further info.

3. NAMA discharge letter. Awaiting further clarity on this.

4. No. 5 of the general conditions - insolvency of the contractor - very unlikely to happen in the current market but from my basic understanding we would be liable to pay for the works to the date the contractor went bankrupt, if only partially complete.

5. The subject to loan clause has been added into the contract. While most of it is standard the timelines are very tight as previously mentioned, 5 days for the surveyor to inspect, report, send report to the bank and bank to confirm release of funds. Our solicitor has requested a minimum of 10 days and even then that’s tight. Not sure if this clause supercedes clause 4. After the 5 days the developer could potentially put the house back on the market if the 5 days is not complied with.

On another note, passed the site this afternoon. Portacabins are in place and set up, a number of cars on site and a digger. Looks like things are gearing up, hopefully site clearance commences next week, with a 2-3 week completion period then early January start with a bang (too optimistic???).

Elainers, noone is going to "just roll over and go yeah, let's spend this much money with no guarantee of what they'll build just because it's the done thing." We have considered the risk, and for me, being in the industry and knowing how stringent the BCAR process is now, I don't feel there is an issue. But at the end of the day you will have to be happy yourself with your own purchase and if your not comfortable then perhaps waiting until phase 2 would be better. But keep in mind you will likely have to fork out more for the luxury of having show houses etc. Not to mention the rise in house prices and how quickly phase 1 sold out... Just worth considering if you were thinking of pulling out over the drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Daithon

Hi All, the response to my solicitor reads as a take it or leave it type attitude , but none the less they did clarify a couple of items, and inserted the subject to loan clause.

The main item that still needs clarity is the title. my understanding is that 'castlethorn' the company is not the registered owners, but that the 3 named individuals are.

We got the same reply regarding plans and spec which is disappointing but not surprise noting other comments on here.

Anyone have any more update from their solicitors , or close to signing contracts?

Just some clarifications but no sign of a revised contract for signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rapscallion1

Daithon wrote: »
    Anyone have any more update from their solicitors , or close to signing contracts?

I've signed mine. Two amendments. Getting my solicitor to call theirs seems to have sped things up. Sent off on Friday.

My solicitor wrote the revisions.

My solicitor wrote the revisions.
    And they accepted? Would you mind saying what the amendments were?

And they accepted? Would you mind saying what the amendments were?

Yep he interested the standard subject to loan clause they provided and wrote in a clause related to my payment of the help to buy, as I have an usual situation regarding that.

Figured they weren't going to move on any of the other stuff like the timeline. They have all the leverage. In relation to the detail of the plans they have to build what's in the planning permission. I'm not worried about anything. They want them up as fast as we do.

[font=arial, sans-serif]FYI - Castlethorn are accepting the law society phrasing but only on request: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/property-developer-to-include-subject-to-loan-clause-if-requested-1.3325061[/font]

I've signed mine. Two amendments. Getting my solicitor to call theirs seems to have sped things up. Sent off on Friday.

That's Great!! Congrats! Hopefully not far off having mine signed too. Was there any mention of the white goods being included or would you have been within the 28 days ?

Daithon wrote: »
    That's Great!! Congrats! Hopefully not far off having mine signed too. Was there any mention of the white goods being included or would you have been within the 28 days ?

Thanks, it's great to have it done and dusted! I would have been within the 28 days but they had told us not to worry if there were delays on their side pushing us over the 28 days.

Site clearance has commenced!!! Now only the small matter of getting the contract agreed and signed!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 a523504

Can any advice on making changes during construction? I would like to get the attic floored

a523504 wrote: »
    Can any advice on making changes during construction? I would like to get the attic floored
    Their default position is not to allow any changes. Best bet is to try approach the foreman on site, but no guarantees there either.

• Advertisement

View down Pelletstown Avenue this afternoon

suci2016 wrote: »
    Site clearance has commenced!!!

Foundation works expected to start in full swing on the 3rd January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

a523504 wrote: »

If they are anything like Ballymore (RCP) they will have learned lessons from previous projects and probably wont allow changes, or only minimal impact ones.

Early phases of RCP allowed a lot of scope for customization, but later phases allowed almost none. In the last phase they wouldnt even let people pick a different color for the internal walls, even at buyers expense.
    Its annoying but makes sense.

Building 20+ identical houses is almost like an assembly line, work is repeated for each house and can be done quite quickly and efficiently.

The second one house veers off the standard plan, this stops and incurs delays, higher costs and higher chance of things going wrong or not being as expected.

As advised, approach the company, and maybe the site foreman, but be prepared to temper your disappointment in case they refuse any changes.

I was having a look thru the planning application on the DCC website and there is a good dimensioned House Type 1 in the pack. Although, the Type 1A/ 1B with/ without utility seems to be reversed, and the area is 107.8 as opposed to 106 in the brochure (haven't looked for other house types as I went for Type 1)

The PDF file has a couple of pages to it, and the Type 1 without utility was on Pg 2 of 4

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00389709.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 linda1211

hello, Any body else have sighed the contract?

linda1211 wrote: »
    hello, Any body else have sighed the contract?
    Have signed and had our solicitor insert amendments but haven't received countersigned copy from Castlethorn's solicitor as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 linda1211

rdoyle16 wrote: »
    Have signed and had our solicitor insert amendments but haven't received countersigned copy from Castlethorn's solicitor as of yet.

Thank you! May i ask what the amendments were? And is there any timeline for returning the countersigned copy from Castlethorn's solicitor?

linda1211 wrote: »
    rdoyle16 wrote: »

Thank you! May i ask what the amendments were? And is there any timeline for returning the countersigned copy from Castlethorn's solicitor?
    Amendment was inclusion of a clause that the contract was subject to obtaining loan approval. I don't know what timeline is for them to return countersigned copies. They should be quick on this I would imagine as they cannot draw down the HTB funds until we upload signed contracts to Revenue website.

Has anyone else received countersigned copies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nmeg

I signed contracts and still no counter signed copy back. Hopefully they will be back this week but realistically, I expect them in the New Year.

• Advertisement

We’ve been advised that in order to avail of white goods contracts have to be returned tomorrow, Thursday 21st and no further extension will be granted.

Our solicitor is waiting for the final amended wording but advised that they at a point where we will not be getting anything further on points queried as per the below points:

1. Conditions for loan approval are still very tight, 6 days.

2. NAMA release letter - the undertaking is weak on this but are advised they are currently issuing these quite quickly at present.

3. Nothing further to be added to the specification. We have asked to add the brochure to the contract as it has a little more detail but that’s about it on this point.

4. Their solicitor is awaiting clients instructions on wording relating to the potential of insolvency ie we would still need to pay for work done to the date the contractor became insolvent. Very unlikely in the current market.

Anyone else hear anything further or sign?

For the record we have been advised that the white goods include: electric hob, electric oven, integrated dishwasher, fridge freezer, washer/dryer.

Advertisement