Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Won The Lottery

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd buy an Apache attack helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

What did the Apaches ever do to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nah, always preferred the Russian one from Rambo

rambo300012.jpg

It's a flying tank! :)

backspin. wrote: »
    I wouldn't want 100 million, it could attract some dodgy people and id worry about kidnapping or extortion. At the very least you'd attract a load of hangers on.

5 million would be loads. Buy a nice house, new car and split a million among the family and then have a nice retirement. Maybe work part time at something i'm interested in to keep me from getting bored.

I'd far rather 100 million to 5 million. 5 million makes you wealthy but 100 million puts you into a different world altogether, a world I would like to inhabit.

If you aren't stupid enough to go public on the win and give it time before starting to spend money on big ticket luxury items and giving up work etc then the big win will be forgotten about, especially if you are not living in Dublin etc. People worry far too much about kidnapping etc in these scenarios. How many property developers etc worth in the 100's of millions do you hear about getting kidnapped or extorted. None in Ireland anyway and they don't hide their wealth.

As for what would I buy aside from the obvious things like build a serious house, buy supercars and luxury 4x4s etc I'd either buy a business which I would work in to pass the time (that could include buying a significant amount of investment property and running the business of managing it myself). In fact I'd get involved in buying up some businesses first and make it look like that's where my money was coming from for houses, cars etc. I'd also buy a significant amount of farm land.

Back to the fun items I'd also without doubt take out a lease on a corporate suite in croke park and host all my friends and family for big days in croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd far rather 100 million to 5 million. 5 million makes you wealthy but 100 million puts you into a different world altogether, a world I would like to inhabit.

If you aren't stupid enough to go public on the win and give it time before starting to spend money on big ticket luxury items and giving up work etc then the big win will be forgotten about, especially if you are not living in Dublin etc. People worry far too much about kidnapping etc in these scenarios.

Indeed... with time, planning, and thought about who you tell and how much you tell them, there's no reason that 100 mil couldn't be enjoyed.

• Advertisement

I would do lots of college things. A masters and a Phd.
    I would write a book and read all of the books I could get my hands on and have a library.
    Sell Wexford strawberries on the side of the road on sunny days, and only on sunny days.
    Go all around the world to all of the museums etc., staying in nice hotels.
    Have a garden and a greenhouse, and live near the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

1 million would be perfect, house paid for out around west Cork, continue to work and put away about 100k, without a mortgage to worry about, life would be easy.

100 million is insane money really and I'd probably end up building a house here on its own land, a house in New Zealand on a nice plot by the sea and a place in New York or London.

I'd really have to stop myself from spending it all on cars though, that would be my bggest weakness, but if I could limit myself to a 3 car garage I'd be happy, maybe become a trader of classic or exotic cars to keep the mind busy during the year.

Sort out the immediate family, parents get a new house and they can rent out our current one for income, houses for the 2 sisters and nephew and niece. I'd offer friends money but it wouldnt be anything mad, to try and keep everyone happy and not worrying about cutting other people. I'd probably buy a corporate box at Chelsea and the Aviva too for games if I'm in the country and give to friends and family too. use also.

I do like the idea of setting up a charity too and if I did, I'd probably try to help homeless families through the interest of the money and I'd setup an dog shelter/sanctuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I'd buy a big plot of land and hold giant raves there every month, pissing off everybody in the area.

I'd also hire a private detective to find out where my 3rd class teacher lived now and wake her up by revving my Pagani Zonda in her driveway at 4am on a Monday morning. I'd also have the horn of the Zonda customized to play an audio clip of Nelson from the Simpsons shouting ''ha....ha!'' every time I pressed the car horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

1m - pretty much the same as everyone else here.

100m - ah now that is different ...
    Spend the year travelling from sporting event to sporting event.... Champs League Final, World Cup, Superbowl, Wimbledon, Ryder Cup, World Cup Skiing, French Open Tennis, The Ashes in Australia, Olympics, FA Cup Final, Box at The Emirates, Us Open Tennis, Cheltenham, The Masters, Formula One around the World (especially Monaco), Rugby World Cup, Grand National, baseball World Series, NBA, Stanley Cup, Tour de France, Giro D'Italia, Americas Cup, Melbourne Cup, El Classico, Polo in Palermo, Surf championships in Hawaii, The Open Golf etc etc etc etc...

Bored ???? No time for that

Dramatik wrote: »
    I'd buy a big plot of land and hold giant raves there every month, pissing off everybody in the area.

I'd also hire a private detective to find out where my 3rd class teacher lived now and wake her up by revving my Pagani Zonda in her driveway at 4am on a Monday morning. I'd also have the horn of the Zonda customized to play an audio clip of Nelson from the Simpsons shouting ''ha....ha!'' every time I pressed the car horn.

Nice touch - might steal that idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

€1m - I think the idea of saying you won considerably less than you did is a good one! I'd do similar to most...pay off family mortgages, give a gift to close family, upgrade car, secure pension, etc. As well as some holiday treats and that kind of thing.

€100m - All of the above, but more gifts for more family and friends.

I like the idea of setting up a charity, but I wouldn't want to run it. Maybe a soup kitchen or something like that. Something local. I think I'd set up a grant scheme in a university too.

Buy or sponsor a cycling or MotoGP team and tour around the world on the circuit for a year!

I wouldn't buy properties abroad as I prefer the idea of going to lots of different places and staying in a fantastic hotel or house. Except maybe I'd buy a place where a lot of my friends would use it...maybe New York or London.

This is one of my favourite pastimes...dreaming about having money to make significant changes to a lot of people's lives. :pac:

Malari wrote: »
    Buy or sponsor a cycling or MotoGP team and tour around the world on the circuit for a year!

There's an old saying "motor racing is the most effective way known to man of converting money into noise" and it's probably pretty true - I'd say your €100m would disappear fairly fast if you bought a MotoGP team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Gravelly wrote: »
    There's an old saying "motor racing is the most effective way known to man of converting money into noise" and it's probably pretty true - I'd say your €100m would disappear fairly fast if you bought a MotoGP team.

That's why I said "or sponsor". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I would do lots of college things. A masters and a Phd.

My idea of hell.

Im impressed that you want to spend your freedom developing your knowledge.

I've thought about it a lot and, for me anyway, once all material and health worries go away then in terms of self fulfillment it's got to be the pursuit of possibly useless but deeply interesting information.

Film studies at NYU while living in a luxury apartment in the city, I mean that's just heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'd been thinking of it many times before, so my answer is well meditated.

1 million
    I'd quit work and the same would do my wife.
    According to the official stats I'll be dead in 15 years time, so I don't need much money to keep on going.
    Currently I'm happy with my wage, I'd probably add 10-15% just to be more comfortable. Hence, for the next 15 years I'd be fine with 420,000 euro. With the same rule, my wife would be fine with 350,000 euro.
    We'd both be fine with 770,000 euro.
    With the rest we'd buy a small house in a far and remote part of Ireland and leave this filthy and rotten country for good.
    If we lived more than official stats say we'd find a way to keep going...

100 millions
    Same as above, probably with a little more money, I'd say I could keep 1.5 millions-
    I'd give out the rest to family, friends, people I like, animals charities and whoever needs it
    I'd make dozens people happy if I won the lottery, I wouldn't be greedy, so I ask why doesn't God help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'd take ye all out for a celebratory drink

branie2 wrote: »
    I'd take ye all out for a celebratory drink

Kebab after?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Spend it all on plastic surgery to make me look like Margot Robbie.........I'd keep my meat and veg tho!!!!

Gravelly wrote: »
    Kebab after?

Of course :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

1 million, quit my current job, it's probably enough due to my age & debt levels to live comfortably (not lavishly) enough for the rest of my life but I'd probably work part time doing something I enjoy

100 million, the usual stuff, sort out family and friends, two holiday homes, one in the south of France with a private beach, the other in Fuerteventura
    A lot of travel, wouldnt be that bothered with a big fcuk off house & high performance cars etc

Would definitely give a huge amount of it away via anonymous random acts of kindness, 1k tip for a waiter/waitress, maybe organise with the local supermarket to pay for people's weekly grocery shop, picking up the tab for people's meals in restaurants, organise with a travel agent to pay for random families holidays, stuff like that I'd get a buzz out of

I'd also get involved in fund raising for local sports clubs & charities, so if the local boxing club for example needed 25k for equipment etc, help with that, when they get to 15k, just write a cheque for the remainder

I'd have to get rid of most of it, it would drive me mad otherwise & yes, I'd rather be rich & miserable than poor & happy plus a bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work

I'll also take you out on holiday

1 million. Nice sized house (not mansion sized by any means) on a couple acres with a big ass, well equipped workshop. Half to store and work on stuff I'd give a second lease of life too from the bangernomics or fixerupper thread and the other half for wood work projects. Do as many motor repair and wood work courses as possible. Thats the million gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

1 million

Build a decent sized house. Don't want nor need a palace.
    Spread it around the close family a small bit.
    Save the rest for a few holidays, maybe buy a nice motor.

100 million
    Pretty much the same as above plus investing in land to expand the farm at home. It's one of the best ways to retain wealth, or so I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

1m- Sort out family and mates a bit, nice property and maybe one or two others for a monthly income, travel every few weeks, immerse myself in hobbies and getting fit as possible.

Hundreds of millions - Same as above only bigger and better properties, anonymously paying for life saving or enhancing surgery for youngsters or people in dire need, set up foundations or donate generously to community centres etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Funny how?

1 million - house and try and get a job that suits my life. Maybe a three day 36 hours a week with four days off. Create a bookies with max 10k payout like the local non franchise ones.

100 milion - Never work again and just travel non stop. Buy all my friends a house and just go mad. Would give up drinking and just be at a pool non stop. Perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Not going to answer the 100 million question, don't know the answer. I think I'd rather win 1 million.

-keep working
    -pay mortgage.
    -buy two cars
    -whatever is left put in a deposit account (safe I know)
    -top up our income by €5000 a year from above account

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

It seems to me that many people see a huge house as something to aspire to. Not me, it could get really tiresome having a half hour walk just to stick the kettle on or empty the bladder....

In many respects, for two people the smaller the better, a small cottage on a large plot of land would do nicely, and we already have that.

I could employ a cleaner but with all the new found freedom of being a millionaire I'd probably spend most of the time wandering about the place in my undies and outsiders visiting our abode might take offence. Therefore, I don't want a lifestyle that warrants an entourage. Happy to do my own cleaning and gardening, in exchange for peace and quiet and solitude.

1m: Major house renovation; have the place re-roofed, rewired, underfloor heating, external and internal insulation, roof full of solar and bribe somebody to bring fibre out to the back of beyond. I'd probably treat the missus to a new septic tank as well, romantic that I am! All done over the course of one winter while we travel around the southern Peloponnese in our new 120K Grand Panorama Motorhome. Oh and a nice big new shed to keep it in.

Work? Ha!!! Not a bloody chance! Regardless of whether the win is 1m or 100m, I've have paid more than my fair share of pension contributions over the years and value time spent with the family far more highly than material things, enough to bridge the gap between now and the pension kicking in would be fine :)

100m: Pretty much the same, more money to family and deserving causes, buy a load of surrounding land, not sure really I might take up smoking again :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote: »
    Any charity that you handed €50m to would end up squandering a big chunk of it on wages and assorted nonsense. That's before you consider how many charities seem to be run by immoral scumbags.

If you set up your own, then as CEO/director you don't need to be paid, and you can be sure that there's not some greedy fncker sticking his hand in the jar and paying for expensive holidays/dinners/mortgages out of your donation.
    Much cheaper to tell all concerned that if they think of misbehaving you used to live close to the border and have given the paramilitaries a million for the first hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If..

1 Million
    Buy a house, nice car and see the world. Give my family and my girlfriends family money.
    I would love never to work again but after buying a house, probably a few cars over the years, sharing the wealth and with well over 30 years to go until retirement age don't think I could not work. That's actually a messed up statement to make.... not being able to retire after winning a million :confused::(

100 Million
    Forget about it. Never work a day in my life again. Same goes for the people mentioned above.
    I know the cliche answer to say is 'give to charities' but I would do one better. I'd create a company and hire so many tradesmen. Go over to somewhere that's rife with poverty and make things better. Actually, that probably would become my "job" as such.
    Set aside something like 30 million. Find out how much it could help and get as much bang for my buck. Those concrete housing things the germans do seem to be a cheap way of providing great housing. Make a crap load of them somewhere. You can't help everyone but I would bloody try to help as much as I could (hence the lego style housing idea)

Advertisement