Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Won The Lottery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

everlast75 wrote: »
    Gravelly wrote: »
    A monorail.

Monorail?

What's it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

frag420 wrote: »
    If i won £100m...first thing I would do is buy a £1m quickpick!!

Then sort out the family...hitmen cost a small fortune these days!!

Then hookers n coke!!

If you get me the black bags and a shovel, I'll sort out the family

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

After giving money to charity, I would pack up and start a fresh some where else. That would make me very happy:), & I could do this with either amount. I would give my son & god children a cash gift & give myself a makeover & then start my own business. If it was the 100 million, may God, Jesus & his holy mother for forgive me but I would also do everything in my power to get the love of life to forgive me for my childishness, I wouldn't stop saying sorry till he had to forgive me & at least heard me out so I could tell him why I did what I did(I didn't cheat on him, we were actually never together, & I can't explain it but he is the love of my life), & if that failed with 100 million I could at least probably force his neighbours to sell me their house:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

After giving money to charity, I would pack up and start a fresh some where else. That would make me very happy:), & I could do this with either amount. I would give my son & god children a cash gift & give myself a makeover & then start my own business. If it was the 100 million, may God, Jesus & his holy mother for forgive me but I would also do everything in my power to get the love of life to forgive me for my childishness, I wouldn't stop saying sorry till he had to forgive me & at least heard me out so I could tell him why I did what I did(I didn't cheat on him, we were actually never together, & I can't explain it but he is the love of my life), & if that failed with 100 million I could at least probably force his neighbours to sell me their house:D.

Thats a bit scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Move somewhere with a nice warm climate. Modest lodgings with room for guests. Might work depending on amount. Would definitely volunteer and have at least 2 doggos :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Autochange wrote: »
    Thats a bit scary
    I'm lovely really:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

1 million - buy a house, new car, holiday, quit my current job and go back to college so I can change career. Whatever left goes into pension. Once there was no mortgage/rent I would be able to have cool holidays every year.

100 million - Again need to sort out the house, car, probably buy a house for my son he could have when he is older. Think I would still go back to college and do something like speech and language therapy or occupational therapy. Everyone works so you need something to fill in the day :). Then I could set up my own charity and hire therapists so that Autistic kids in Ireland would actually be able to get the intervention they need and not just the kids who parents could afford it.
    If I was running my own charity/business I would hire a manager so I could take the summer off and see the world with my son :D.

Might need to start doing the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

seamus wrote: »
    Big difference between 1 mill and 100 mill tbh.

1 mill I'd buy a nice big house on a decent piece of land outright, stick 200k in a pension scheme, then work a relatively easy going job with short/easy hours, just enough to keep things ticking over. €30-40k or so a year should be more than enough when you've no mortgage to service.

100 mill obviously I'd have no need to work. Throw a decent wedge of cash at all the siblings and parents, stick 1 million in a pension scheme for myself. Then I'd probably set up a charity and run that myself in order to oversee the rest of the cash spent the way I want it to be spent.

If you had 100 million the interest would be better than any pension scheme and why the fcuk would you even want a pension?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

1 million
    . I would tell everyone I won about 400,000 . basically set myself up with a modest house etc and start a good business.
    I would help out some family and friends with maybe 50,000 divided up. maybe pay a few of their bills or put some breathing space on the mortgage
    keep the rest for future

100million
    tell everyone I won about 15million
    buy good house, car, really good businesses etc
    help out friends and family with paying off mortgages and giving them maybe 100k to each family
    have a big party and celebrate
    give some money to local charities that deserve it. non of the Vincent de paul carry on
    make the business really profitable and use them to explain the rest of the money in the future.
    stick 50 million in a high return bank account and live off the intrest and the profit from businesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

1 mill would clear the mortgage, a few nice things and help out family etc

100 mill I would go find techno viking and travel the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you had 100 million the interest would be better than any pension scheme and why the fcuk would you even want a pension?
    Because I would expect to have given most of it away by the time I reach retirement age. The pension pot is to keep me comfortable when I run out of the 100 mill.

1 million - decent house, decent car (but at least 2 years old), 100,000 between family, reserve for things like possible future wedding expenses, and hopefully about 100 to 200,000 left over. Would give a lot of breathing space early on in life to have a million euro but its definitely not forever money :(

100 million:
    - 15 million to family
    - 80 million invested at low risk to keep pace with inflation and hopefully pay me 500,000 net per year, increasing my income as years pass in accordance with inflation and letting any surplus income build up.
    - 2 million for charity, paid over multiple years as I research where it can be best put to use
    - 1.5 million maybe to buy a brilliant home
    - 700,000 to spend on one brilliant car for pleasure use, one decent car for everyday use and a splurge on stuff like watches, clothes, antique stuff at auctions, a few holidays, top of the range bike, drone camera, one of those bendy high definition tvs that look amazing .. just blowing my beans in terms of spending to hopefully get it out of my system!
    - 800,000 to let sit in my account while I wait for my ten grand a week to start piling up and I am busy figuring out what to actually *make* of myself now that money can realistically no longer motivate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

1million
    Pay off mortgage. Set up pensions. New cars and bikes. Put money away for the kids. Numerous cruises

100million
    Design my own house on a plot of land. Learn to fly. Many, many bikes and cars. Personal trainer and personal chef. Money family obviously. House in USA, house in OZ. Lots of holidsys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

I'd buy boards.ie and drive the mods insane as their new leader.

1 million, buy a good 2 bed apartment in Dublin centre and stow the rest. Have a job I like and decent pension, but I'd look into a good degree in something interesting but not career related. With no rent/mortgage to pay or worry about I'd live a very nice life without needing to dip into rainy day fund I think.

Nobody would need to know I'd won the million.

100 million:

I'd do nothing for three months. Stay working, claim it or whatever but don't go near it. Engineer a decent amount of leave from work, probably a career break or a move abroad for a few years, easy enough done.

Take six months out to cruise or travel spending only day-to-day, like a king but committing no major infrastructural decisions. Get used to the new realities and plan accordingly. Probably get a medical done!

Then it'd be a flurry something along the lines of: siblings set up with mortgages and annuities, purchase main property south of France, apartment in Manhattan, hotels everywhere else, and endless travel when I'm not studying at the most fabulous universities I can find. A comfortable luxury vehicle with an excellent sound system on each continent. A yacht big enough for the cook not to feel cramped.

Aim to die the best read, fed, travelled and dressed multi-instrumentalist archaeologist astronomist imaginable. Spend a few years translating the kama sutra into gaeilge because Connemara gals need love too. That kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I dream about this question every week.
    I never get past the first week though.

I would just love to spend it all on my wife and kids.

5 percent to direct family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'd buy an iPhone 8, outright, no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

1 million: Nice house and invest

100 Million: Buy a block of houses and work with the council to help homeless people get back on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

_Roz_ wrote: »
    Never been there, but OH's parents retired to there so I suspect I'll be going there someday. He has notions of retiring to there, but as I hate heat and summer, he'll be retiring there alone! :P

I too would likely go back to full time education.

It is a wonderful place - maybe go in winter when it's less warm :) the coastline is just amazing.

Full time education would be the dream for me now when my brain could handle it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm not greedy, as long as I have my solid gold house, rocket car and millions of dollars I'm happy.

But yeah, I'd buy a pub I think and get sloshed all day and then try and do stand up comedy. If I had enough left over I'd travel around America and write a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Gravelly wrote: »
    I don't do the lotto, so the question is moot, but if I did do it and won, I certainly wouldn't give up work for €1 million. In fact I doubt it would change my life to any real extent. €100 million would be a different proposition. I would have to seriously think about work - I enjoy my job, and I'd imagine that, no matter how many holidays I took, I'd end up being bored out of my mind. I think I'd go part-time, and invest a lot of the money to protect my family inter-generationally - i.e, ensure that my grandkids and great-grandkids had the best possible start. I'm not sure I'd buy an awful lot, as there isn't really anything I can think of off the top of my head that I really want that I couldn't buy now if my wife would only let me!

Damn, I'm boring!

Even if 1 Million isn't really enough to retire on, you'd have to be pretty well off for it not to change your life at all! I don't mean just with buying material things like flash cars and so on, but even 1 Mill would give you a certain level of security.

No mortgage any more, or the opportunity to now buy a nice place if you've been renting. Any outstanding debts cleared, a nice little nest egg for retirement etc

100 Million is a different world altogether and a lot of people who have had that sort of money fall into their lap haven't fared too well with it. I'd probably take my chances but that sort of money brings with it a new set of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Id give up work. Not because i hate my job, but because i cant image i could motivate myself to work/perform for a few thousand when ive got millions in the bank and i would just end up getting fired.
    Also i cant image any employer would be happy with me taking constant holidays and unpaid leave when i decide i want to go and do something with my money.

Id put a lot into my pension fund so that when i retire id have millions saved away.

Then id be free to live a crazy rich guys life, blowing money on expensive hotels, cars, holidays while ensuring that i will always have a large pension fund to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

€1 million, I'd buy about 909090 cans of coke and build a house with them

€100 million, probably buy a castle, a personal assistant and the rest in penny jellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

1 million, buy a good 2 bed apartment in Dublin centre and stow the rest. Have a job I like and decent pension, but I'd look into a good degree in something interesting but not career related. With no rent/mortgage to pay or worry about I'd live a very nice life without needing to dip into rainy day fund I think.

Nobody would need to know I'd won the million.

100 million:

I'd do nothing for three months. Stay working, claim it or whatever but don't go near it. Engineer a decent amount of leave from work, probably a career break or a move abroad for a few years, easy enough done.

Take six months out to cruise or travel spending only day-to-day, like a king but committing no major infrastructural decisions. Get used to the new realities and plan accordingly. Probably get a medical done!

Then it'd be a flurry something along the lines of: siblings set up with mortgages and annuities, purchase main property south of France, apartment in Manhattan, hotels everywhere else, and endless travel when I'm not studying at the most fabulous universities I can find. A comfortable luxury vehicle with an excellent sound system on each continent. A yacht big enough for the cook not to feel cramped.

Aim to die the best read, fed, travelled and dressed multi-instrumentalist archaeologist astronomist imaginable. Spend a few years translating the kama sutra into gaeilge because Connemara gals need love too. That kind of thing.

Im impressed that you want to spend your freedom developing your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

€100m. Easy...Never ever work again...

Buying a nice house in Redondo Beach CA and a weekend / holiday home in San Francisco.

Nice family car and a convertible. Plenty of motorcyclesðŸ️ðŸ️ðŸ️

Also setting up a homeless shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'd buy an iPhone 8, outright, no contract.

2745079.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Solid gold house and a rocket car of course. What else could you possibly want?

Liver and Onions *sllllllllurrrrp*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I wouldn't want 100 million, it could attract some dodgy people and id worry about kidnapping or extortion. At the very least you'd attract a load of hangers on.

5 million would be loads. Buy a nice house, new car and split a million among the family and then have a nice retirement. Maybe work part time at something i'm interested in to keep me from getting bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

backspin. wrote: »
    I wouldn't want 100 million, it could attract some dodgy people and id worry about kidnapping or extortion. At the very least you'd attract a load of hangers on.

5 million would be loads. Buy a nice house, new car and split a million among the family and then have a nice retirement. Maybe work part time at something i'm interested in to keep me from getting bored.

You could hire quite a few hitmen for €100 million to sort those kind of problems out.

Advertisement