Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Not that important but it occurred to me that I don’t recall seeing that generally in heterosexual couples, the man drives when they are together. It’s generally more relaxing to be driven around than doing the driving. This is in relation to complaints about the division of domestic labour. Also in couples where travel costs are paid for individually e.g. couples not living together, it’s an expense just on the male.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cue incoming articles "again" about pay not being equal in football

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

silverharp wrote: »
    cue incoming articles "again" about pay not being equal in football

Men's world cup final has one of the highest viewing figures of any event

Women's world cup final? More people watch Sunday mass on tv.
    Pure garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Men's world cup final has one of the highest viewing figures of any event

Women's world cup final? More people watch Sunday mass on tv.
    Pure garbage

Hope solo was banging on about it, women paid less due to 'male chauvinism'. Delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'd be careful saying that in front of Hope Solo. She might batter you like she did her teenage nephew and sister.

• Advertisement

Head of ITV comedy drops all-male writing teams

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/18/head-of-itv-comedy-drops-all-male-writing-teams
    ITV’s head of comedy has said she will no longer commission any show with an all-male writing team, or one that has just a “token woman”.

Saskia Schuster took action after an audit of her shows revealed “an awful lot” of all-male teams and a “significant lack” of women in scripted commissions. She said for every five scripts sent to her by a man, she would receive just one by a woman.
    ---
    This looks like it could lead to "positive discrimination" if it's an industry where there are a lot more male than female workers.

I doubt they will ever get to the stage that every minority/grouping would be part of a writing group; yet again, the focus is on gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

ITV has comedy?

Lorraine Courtney: 'Career women will keep paying motherhood penalty until men do their fair share at home'

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/lorraine-courtney-career-women-will-keep-paying-motherhood-penalty-until-men-do-their-fair-share-at-home-38245955.html

Lots of digs at men in this.

I have slightly controversial views on this: women seem more focused on the state of their homes than men on average (this also comes up in how much they want to redecorate and spend on their homes*). So for example, a house might be cleaned because somebody is coming into the house. If the house was clean enough before they were coming in, it seems that some of this has been done for appearances. Why should a man have to do 50% of such work. And in general if a man would like to do X amount of hours of housework per week, and a woman would like to do X+Y hours, why should the correct amount of hours be X+Y?

*A lot of the money for this can come from men

Mary Mitchell- O’Connor tries to justify the women-only positions she created in the Irish third level sector.

People on a mission to save a particular group can sometimes cause problems e.g. for other groups
    On that very day, I made a promise to myself - and to the female academics all over the country - to do everything possible to accelerate the progression of women within our hallowed halls of learning. While I was in charge of higher education, things were going to change.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/mary-mitchell-oconnor-backlash-about-femaleonly-posts-is-rubbish-we-need-to-right-the-balance-38258187.html

Requires free registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

iptba wrote: »

Need to have an account to read the story. Maybe quote the text as well as having a link.

The only thing I think about when I see her name is.....

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Need to have an account to read the story. Maybe quote the text as well as having a link.

The only thing I think about when I see her name is.....

Okay. I only have a free account which allows me access it.

A day after Phil Hogan was nominated for a second term as Ireland's EU commissioner, president-elect Ursula von der Leyen said she wanted a 50-50 gender split.

Ms Von der Leyen told Renew Europe MEPs - the EU's liberal alliance - she would ask each member state to nominate two candidates, one male and one female.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/gender-threat-to-hogans-brussels-role-dismissed-38301924.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I guess there won't be complaints about "pay gap" about this one...

https://www.forbes.com/celebrities/#4eda69ad5947

Why can't everybody be paid as much as Taylor Swift or, ehr, Kylie Jenner? (before anyone says "but she IS an entrepreneur and yadda yadda", would she have been selling tonnes of rubbish beauty products if she didn't come from a celebrity family and was instead a random "Tara from Balbriggan"?) :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I found an old article called Twelve Books for Feminist Boys and Girls from a while ago. I was curious about versus female author earnings and it was in the list of results.

I guess its random and not really sexist, but it did get me thinking about how male and female anger is viewed.

A woman is standing up for herself and a man is bullying. A man should cry rather than get angry, and if he gets angry he should feel ashamed.

And I started to think how anger is a perfectly healthy emotion in moderation. If you have a late deadline , you get angry and finish it. If your boss is bullying you, you get angry and try to be a better ployee. If there's a sexist who thinks that women shouldn't breastfeed in public, then you get angry and don't let her (not a typo ;) ) tell you what to do.

And I wonder could this be a link in regards to male suicide? Crying can be good, talking can be good, but sometimes its good to get angry and push through.

I don't see any reason why anger should be demonized in men vs women.

I found an old article called Twelve Books for Feminist Boys and Girls from a while ago. I was curious about versus female author earnings and it was in the list of results.

I guess its random and not really sexist, but it did get me thinking about how male and female anger is viewed.

A woman is standing up for herself and a man is bullying. A man should cry rather than get angry, and if he gets angry he should feel ashamed.

And I started to think how anger is a perfectly healthy emotion in moderation. If you have a late deadline , you get angry and finish it. If your boss is bullying you, you get angry and try to be a better ployee. If there's a sexist who thinks that women shouldn't breastfeed in public, then you get angry and don't let her (not a typo ;) ) tell you what to do.

And I wonder could this be a link in regards to male suicide? Crying can be good, talking can be good, but sometimes its good to get angry and push through.

I don't see any reason why anger should be demonized in men vs women.

I wonder if the social context has any effect on suicide at the end of the day?. Young people have always been told what to do or how to behave but they don't listen to teachers or priests or media feminists so much.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I wonder if the social context has any effect on suicide at the end of the day?. Young people have always been told what to do or how to behave but they don't listen to teachers or priests or media feminists so much.

Control on gender behaviour isn't really top down, but more all around. Friends, family, teachers, and siblings. So there isn't really as much of a rebel element with positive associations.

And I don't necesarilly mean feminism as its really more a symptom than a causer.

I think my post got a little sidetracked as it was more about male anger and a thought on depression.

That's next level low - look into the news, find something that could be made to fit a narrative and use it. What's absurd is the immense number of people in the comment who can't understand the problem with the way CNN and the NYT manipulated the headlines and no, it's not a case of functional illiteracy.

I haven't followed this story much (I mean the actual Kyoto Animation attack), but it looks like the perpetrator had some beef against the company for "plagiarism", or so it's been reported. He also has a previous conviction. In a nutshell no, he didn't burn down these offices because women woked in there, as it's been implied by these headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    That's next level low - look into the news, find something that could be made to fit a narrative and use it. What's absurd is the immense number of people in the comment who can't understand the problem with the way CNN and the NYT manipulated the headlines and no, it's not a case of functional illiteracy.

I haven't followed this story much (I mean the actual Kyoto Animation attack), but it looks like the perpetrator had some beef against the company for "plagiarism", or so it's been reported. He also has a previous conviction. In a nutshell no, he didn't burn down these offices because women woked in there, as it's been implied by these headlines.

I usually don't mind the NYT but they are quite guilty of just pandering to their followers unfortunately. A day or two ago the NYT had an article up with a tagline along the lines of "Men are far more likely than women to be involved in violent crime-both as perpetrators and victims-so why is the True Crime genre so popular with women?". This in itself is pretty true and inoffensive.

Yet the most liked comment underneath this very sentence is "Because women are most often the victims of violence so we need to learn to recognise it and try avoid it".

The commenter clearly didn't bother to understand or care what the article was about, they just saw a few words like "men", "women","violence" and their brain whirred to spin it into a victimhood narrative. They started with the predetermined notion that men=bad and just found a way to shoehorn a reference to the article in.

Right or wrong the NYT won't ignore those thousands of likes and will lean towards producing content that gets these people's attention.

(Not important that all)
    What's the need to have petty swipes at all men in this column.
    Sinead Ryan: 'Menopause or manopause, what's worse?'
    Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of medical intervention for the sake of it; in the absence of an actual, diagnosed illness perhaps leaving well enough alone is best.

The surgery, pioneered by (male) doctors in the United Kingdom, only delays the witching hour by a couple of decades.
    Now if scientists could only delay the manopause - when middle aged blokes discover lycra and a penchant for red sports cars - well that would be worth something.
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sinead-ryan-menopause-or-manopause-whats-worse-38381740.html

• Advertisement

Now if scientists could only delay the manopause - when middle aged blokes discover lycra and a penchant for red sports cars - well that would be worth something.

I don't know what compels middle aged men to wear lycra, but I can tell you what makes it so they get "red sports cars": they didn't have the bloodydamn money for them when they were younger :D

I'm sure a lot of women who are reaching menopause will not be interested in an extra few decades...:P

It's bizarre that we've actually gotten to the point that men are being gaslighted from helping women :S

If this lady is being completely sincere, then she misses an obvious contradiction:

"We want the human species to go on, but without men."

On the other hand, I'll go with my first instinct and declare that video to be nothing more than a publicity stunt.

If this lady is being completely sincere, then she misses an obvious contradiction:

"We want the human species to go on, but without men."

On the other hand, I'll go with my first instinct and declare that video to be nothing more than a publicity stunt.
    Before posting it, I looked through a good number of the comments underneath to look for any evidence that it was fake. Also I put the link into Twitter to see tweets referring to it. I certainly didn't read thousands of tweets but couldn't come across anything that said it was fake, though perhaps it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's part of the narcissistic epidemic that we are drenched in...that woman is a great example of it along with being shamelessly manipulated by a feminism industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

She says 'modern men' as if men in the Middle Ages were wonderful, virtuous people.

In relation to the original question over how feminism is relevant to me. It mostly isn't anywhere else but the internet when I see thing like below that make me laugh but also sigh. Women's football always asks not to be compared to men's...seemingly unless it's something positive and then it needs to be highlighted as an achievement, as a 'we beat you men!'. It could just be that the women's Champions League isn't as competitive or difficult to qualify for as the men's. But sure that's not going to stop them comparing the two because it looks favorably on the gals.

bwv7NC2.jpg

New ‘Monopoly’ game will pay female players more than males
    https://nypost.com/2019/09/10/new-monopoly-game-will-get-a-feminist-update/

• Advertisement

From 2015. 5 minutes
    The Reality of Feminism
    Eccentrik Hat

A video compilation of some of the best arguments against modern, 3rd wave feminism. I hope to shed some light for people who are otherwise unaware of the damage feminism is doing right now, and bring encouragement to those who already oppose it by reminding them that they are not alone.

Advertisement