Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Osman's House Of Games (BBC2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Splendid, lots more House Of Games in the pipeline

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1083376186099666949

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hope they tidy things up a bit and make some changes

First up - no "it's Monday so I'll give you that" largess from Richard
    2nd up - move the contestants through the week so chair 4 no longer has an advantage in certain rounds.
    3rd up - stress test all questions so it's shown there is only one correct answer.
    4th up - drop Broken Karaoke as I'm just appalling at it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I hope they tidy things up a bit and make some changes

First up - no "it's Monday so I'll give you that" largess from Richard
    2nd up - move the contestants through the week so chair 4 no longer has an advantage in certain rounds.
    3rd up - stress test all questions so it's shown there is only one correct answer.
    4th up - drop Broken Karaoke as I'm just appalling at it :D

I was with you until number 4 there... Broken Karaoke is my absolute favourite round by a country mile and not just because I'm freakishly amazing at it or anything... :D

There is a new series of this beginning tomorrow at 6pm on BBC2

Series 3 Ep 1/100
    Return of the quiz in which four famous faces take part in a week of trivia-based games, beginning with Ade Edmondson, Ed Gamble, Miquita Oliver and Kate Thornton

I bet the most basic geography questions will continue to stump most of the panel on a given day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I love this game show! It's just old-fashioned, simple, gimmick-free entertainment.

Last week's was epic.

This week's, not so much - and catching up on the Friday Finale now, anyone else think Angellica is throwing a massive sulk cos she's clearly not going to win, and it looks like Scarlett will smash it? (Well, I'm assuming she won't anyway, the way she's going)

I bet the most basic geography questions will continue to stump most of the panel on a given day.
    Eh, not Ade Edmonson!!!

Also, does anyone else suspect that this whole week has been rigged so that Scarlett will win it?

(I haven't got to the end yet, so I don't know if she actually will - but much as I love Gyles, and never having heard of Iain, and what with Angellica looking like a sulky four-year-old, and despite the fact that I'd never heard of Scarlett either before last Monday - I'd be absolutely delighted if she does!)

This week's competition was pretty disappointing - don't think I've seen such low scores before. Last week's with Ed, Ade, Miquita, and Kate was great though. And next week looks promising with Phil Jupitus and Ivo Graham in the mix.

This is a story about contestants who were on this show a year ago, but I enjoyed it.

James Acaster says (after he had won the first three episodes that week) "national treasure Anne Diamond called me a dickhead’.

'She really got vicious' he told Australian comedian Josh Earl on his podcast. 'She said, "This is just a stupid quiz for stupid people with stupid brains!’

'I basically didn't try then. But I still won overall, got given the trophy.' "

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1067109146875580416

In reply to that tweet James Acaster apparently said "Three of the people in this photograph absolutely hated me. Tune in!"

https://www.chortle.co.uk/punching-ups/2019/04/17/42839/anne_diamond_called_me_a_dickhead!

He tells the story at 19min 45 in this podcast https://play.acast.com/s/dont-you-know-who-i-am-hosted-by-josh-earl/b466babf-2f60-49e2-837a-6fed335b5d25

This show needs to broadcast the occasional outburst like this to keep it interesting!

• Advertisement

This weeks quartet were all very nice people, no conflicts there I'd say. As usual chair 4 won.

New shows starting on Monday
    I think these are 'socially distant' ie contestants sitting further apart than usual

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1313775186022486016

Skid X wrote: »
    New shows starting on Monday
    I think these are 'socially distant' ie contestants sitting further apart than usual

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1313775186022486016
    HoooRAH!!!

As much as I love the replays (and I've the memory of a goldfish, so they're all practically new to me!), fresh fodder is badly needed.

Surely they can just have a plastic sheet between each chair - obviously the paring games and the one where three work to create something for the other to solve will need to be tweaked. Nothing too tricky I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bumpity bump..

.. back!

Enjoyed that, although I only had half an eye on it tonight.

Great to have fresh episodes to watch!

They've ruined Broken Karaoke by having themed categories and not just giving us the year the song was released.

They've ruined Broken Karaoke by having themed categories and not just giving us the year the song was released.
    And Eurovision? Yuck!

I'm always ****e at that round despite being very good at music questions in general.

Forgot this was back, series linked. :)

Basq wrote: »
    And Eurovision? Yuck!

I'm always ****e at that round despite being very good at music questions in general.

Its one that I'm usually quite good at and get the majority of the songs, but with the themed categories its a little too niche. The only one I got today was Spice Girls.

The games I'm worst at are I'm Terrible at Dating and Distinctly Average, as I'm awful at guesstimating. The rest of the games I tend to do quite well at.

• Advertisement

Can't say I noticed the difference in the Broken Karaoke round :eek: - I really wasn't paying proper attention! But it's not a round i particularly like anyway.

My definite favourite of all the rounds is Where ls Kazakhstan - I absolutely love that one and wish they'd run it every evening!

Like the new Word Cloud game.

Is anyone else driven mad by how Richard pronounces Stephen Mangan's surname??

Or is that how he pronounces it himself?? :eek:

It's up there with Ken Dockerty in the nails- on- blackboard stakes!

And this week it's Aislinn Bea :(

Still enjoying the new series though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is anyone else driven mad by how Richard pronounces Stephen Mangan's surname??

Or is that how he pronounces it himself?? :eek:

It's up there with Ken Dockerty in the nails- on- blackboard stakes!
    I've heard him being called that by different English people. I think Stephen has strong Irish connections and used to come here on holidays a lot as a child. Mayo, I think.

Another name they always mispronounce is Dara O'Briain's. It's always Daaaaawra.

Anyway, my favourite rounds are Where is Kazakhstan?, I'm Terrible At Dating, and of course, Answer Smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That tinfoil hatter who claimed the Manchester bombings were a false flag is one of the guests on it now

Didn't know that about Rufus Hound. Hmmm.

Have to say I'm not enjoying this week's shows half as much as usual..... the only one with a bit of spark about them is Josie who is absolutely lovely - the rest are just dull, and Rufus although I've enjoyed him in shows in the past is bordering on dislikeable (not sure if it's because of the post above, which was news to me).

But of a dud week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not enjoying this week's shows half as much as usual..... the only one with a bit of spark about them is Josie who is absolutely lovely - the rest are just dull, and Rufus although I've enjoyed him in shows in the past is bordering on dislikeable (not sure if it's because of the post above, which was news to me).

But of a dud week.

I'd never heard of the guy before the story about the tweet tbh. Have seen him pop up on a few panel shows since and find that try as I might I cant disassociate him from it. Plus he has an extremely punchable face.

• Advertisement

I'd never heard of the guy before the story about the tweet tbh. Have seen him pop up on a few panel shows since and find that try as I might I cant disassociate him from it. Plus he has an extremely punchable face.

Well, that was quite the little temper tantrum he threw this evening!!

I've seen him in lots of things over the years, and have to say i always enjoyed him..... but i just want this week of HOG to be over now.

Anyone else get the distinct impression that Scott Mills can't stand Rufus?

As an aside, all I can EVER see when I see Scott Mills is that lobster from Under The Sea :D:D

Advertisement