Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW GSA 1200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Just looking online. They are about 17000 new? That's a serious amount of dough lads. I wish I had that to drop on a bike. Is there much discount for cash or are they really firm? Or are yis importing second hand from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

emo72 wrote: »
    Just looking online. They are about 17000 new? That's a serious amount of dough lads. I wish I had that to drop on a bike. Is there much discount for cash or are they really firm? Or are yis importing second hand from UK?

Lol , they're "from" 17k. You'll get the absolute minimum for that. The average price of a GSA is 22 or 23 k new. That's also without luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

D3V!L wrote: »
    emo72 wrote: »

Lol , they're "from" 17k. You'll get the absolute minimum for that. The average price of a GSA is 22 or 23 k new. That's also without luggage.

Yep, it is in the same bracket as other premium brands like Ducati and Harley Davidson.

Those who buy new are helping the likes of me buying them 2 years old :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I physically couldn't buy a bike for 22k and that doesn't include luggage, gps and bits.....your upto 25k. Immoral. There's so much out there in the mid teens that are stonking bikes. Unfort the BM badge holds a lot of weight for the Starbucks cruisers. Having said that my 07 GS which is the most boring bike in the world has been like a Swiss watch , never lets me down and just keeps going. Looking at a super tenere next week.

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I physically couldn't buy a bike for 22k and that doesn't include luggage, gps and bits.....your upto 25k. Immoral. There's so much out there in the mid teens that are stonking bikes. Unfort the BM badge holds a lot of weight for the Starbucks cruisers. Having said that my 07 GS which is the most boring bike in the world has been like a Swiss watch , never lets me down and just keeps going. Looking at a super tenere next week.

You get what you pay for. Do you honestly think that someone is going to drop that sort of money on a bike to take it out for a spin to a coffee shop every second Sunday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Ok. I have bought 2 bikes new over the years. A dr125 in 2001 for about 3 grand, can't really remember to be honest, and then 2004 Z750 for about 8 or 9 grand, again it's fuzzy. I thought they were value for money purchases and would have liked to buy the Honda 1000 naked bike a few years later but that had crept up to about 12k, which is way above my perceived value threshold, for a bike. The one thing I love about bikes is in the second hand market there is great opportunities to own a great bike at cheap money, enjoy it for a year or 2 and still get your money back when you sell it on.

The amount of BMWs on the road at the prices they are has surprised me though, lovely bikes, I'd love one, but gawd they are shockingly pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You get what you pay for. Do you honestly think that someone is going to drop that sort of money on a bike to take it out for a spin to a coffee shop every second Sunday ?

I don't know man, one of my neighbours has one. I'd say in the two years we've been living near each other I've seen it off the driveway like 6 times.

Some more people have more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

"Immoral" really ?
    But so long as someone else does it, so you can buy a 2nd hand one a few years down the road it's not "immoral" for you ?

There are no factories building 2nd hand bikes - at any price level....

I put my entire 5-yr SSIA (remember them !?) into a bike in 07. €21.5k. I still have it, and it was the best bike decision I ever made. A bargain imho when all is considered.

Getting it's first repair this week: brake hoses are tired.

I even sold a GS1200 to get it (could not get on with that at all).

And PCP is putting a lot of this GS's on the road. Very few people buy outright.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Sorry for weird edit above: anyone notice it does this when you're posting from Android?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

PCP is on most of those. 5 or 6 grand will get you on the road with a GS, and the same again in a few years for a new one, or an XR or something else. Once you don't mind never riding anything but a BMW again without handing the bike back and having nothing to show for your money.

Normally I'd be in the same boat as you, but BMW is the only make in .ie that has anything even approaching a dealer network with any comeback, the vast majority of 'dealers' in other makes will import and service it for you but you're ****ed if you want anything over that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭blade1

gerrowadat wrote: »
    PCP is on most of those. 5 or 6 grand will get you on the road with a GS, and the same again in a few years for a new one, or an XR or something else. Once you don't mind never riding anything but a BMW again without handing the bike back and having nothing to show for your money.

Normally I'd be in the same boat as you, but BMW is the only make in .ie that has anything even approaching a dealer network with any comeback, the vast majority of 'dealers' in other makes will import and service it for you but you're ****ed if you want anything over that.

Is there a cap on the milage you can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

Out of interest OP, and if you don't mind sharing info- Where did you PX the VFR? I'm considering upgrading my 2006 one and the new version is topping my shopping list!!

blade1 wrote: »
    Is there a cap on the milage you can do?

It works the same as the car version, lower mileage will mean a better deal. Large mileage will mean bigger payments.

It looks quite affordable in theory, but you're still paying depreciation though without having to cough up the full price.

PCP is pure and utter madness buying a bike imo. Horses for courses as they say.

PCP is pure and utter madness buying a bike imo. Horses for courses as they say.

Depends, if you're buying a new bike anyway, it's often a smarter option.

If you can't afford a new bike, then you can't really afford it, PCP or not.

colm_c wrote: »

If you can't afford a new bike, then you can't really afford it, PCP or not.

I can't afford it alright but too many other hobbies / interests:) .....very good thread seeing that we are talking of buying things re cameras for bikes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What is PCP like on a GSA here in Ireland ? Dont see much advertising at all

Not a GS, but might be useful : here's an excercise I did for a 3 year plan on a new F800GT SE. Different types of finance, and used too. Even threw in a German comparison..

428173.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

Just put a deposit on a Triple Black GSA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

A really nice all-around bike if you're looking for something less expensive than a GSA

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/CRF1000L-africa-twin/overview.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What kept ya??:pac:

yeah what blade said, and we better get some pics :)

did you sell the Harley?

yeah what blade said, and we better get some pics :)

did you sell the Harley?

It's getting traded in. Should have listened to the missus and kept my 2016 GSA.

I'm getting a lot of "I told you so" at home :pac:

time to send the missus on a shoe shopping spree

For Irish roads id choose the GSA all day long but for the riding I do in the US I love the Harley. Haven't road the GSA in two years

Sorry to muddy the waters folks, a newer FJR as a tourer? Any takers on how versatile for a 6ft middle aged rider? Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

A really nice all-around bike if you're looking for something less expensive than a GSA

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/CRF1000L-africa-twin/overview.html

Saw one beside a GSA down in Overlanders the other day. Very tasty looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's getting traded in. Should have listened to the missus and kept my 2016 GSA.

I'm getting a lot of "I told you so" at home :pac:
    I get the same after I sold mine, she still misses it! Great 2 up bike

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Saw one beside a GSA down in Overlanders the other day. Very tasty looking bike.

The Africa Twin is a great onroad\offroad bike, personally I never take the GSA offroad and for a bit more money this would be my Honda choice...

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/vfr1200x-2016/overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Did you go for the TFT screen?

• Advertisement

markad1 wrote: »
    Did you go for the TFT screen?

Yes , yes I did :D

I'm getting all the goodies apart from the quick shifter. It's pointless on a bike like this.

Advertisement