Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW GSA 1200

Options
  • 30-08-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi..... Ive got a 2015 vfr800 and was looking to change.
    I've looked at the Multistrada the 09 Tracer and the GS 1200.
    The Ducati has been nocked off the list, after a test ride....
    Ive ridden the GS but not the GSA.....I'm a bit worried that the GSA will be too heavy and a pain to move around by hand
    Can anyone give me advise .
    I'm 6' 2" and 55yrs old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

needy111 wrote: »
    Hi..... Ive got a 2015 vfr800 and was looking to change.
    I've looked at the Multistrada the 09 Tracer and the GS 1200.
    The Ducati has been nocked off the list, after a test ride....
    Ive ridden the GS but not the GSA.....I'm a bit worried that the GSA will be too heavy and a pain to move around by hand
    Can anyone give me advise .
    I'm 6' 2" and 55yrs old

It's not much heavier than the GS unloaded, but with a full fuel tank it's a different story.

Are you looking to wheel it into a tight spot?

I'd also look at the S1000XR, its more a competitor to the multi than the GS/GSA. I think the XR will be my next bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

colm_c wrote: »
    It's not much heavier than the GS unloaded, but with a full fuel tank it's a different story.

I'd also look at the S1000XR, its more a competitor to the multi than the GS/GSA. I think the XR will be my next bike.

I'd have to agree there. The XR looks lovely. I am very tempted by it. :rolleyes:

The GS and GSA are mainly separated by a larger tank, and a few other bits. But, the fuel weight would be the main weight difference to consider.

I've an 800GSA and you can really feel the difference between full tank and low fuel when moving it by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

The XR is a cracker of a bike. Its a great allrounder.
    2 of the marshals in Mondello use them for trackdays.

Book a test ride with Joe Duffy BMW and go have fun with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Also check out the XTZ1200 Super Tenere

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

And dare I say it, the Crossrunner and Crosstourer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 needy111

no real tight spots, just general moving of the bike.... on and off the centre stand, back and forward if turning it in the garage.
    When I rode my mates GS, I found it heavy when I took it of the stand and pushed it back...... I think its made me worried when he said you would find it hard to move the GSA on a tight circle on the drive, because its so heavy and so easy for it to go on you !

I have the chance to PX the 2015 vfr 800 for a 2010 gsa..... its a massive difference in weight, but if I ride the vfr for more than half an hour I get pins and needles in the hands :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

pins and needles from vibes or from the position of your hands?

massive bar ends, renthal soft grey grips, & get your front wheel balanced and you could be good as new if it's pins and needles from vibrations

pins and needles from vibes or from the position of your hands?

massive bar ends, renthal soft grey grips, & get your front wheel balanced and you could be good as new if it's pins and needles from vibrations

Its not vibration, I think its the wrists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Its not vibration, I think its the wrists ?

ok you could always look at getting bar risers and to change the angle of your brake and clutch levers to see if you can get your hand and arm to be in more of a straight line which will take stress off your wrist

wouldn't cost much to try it if you like your vfr and it's just the wrist pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't think there's too much of a difference between the gs and gsa when moving them about. But I'd go for a gsa, the tank gives you protection, sort of like a touring bike without fairings. Extra range is no harm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What was wrong with the Tracer?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

I have owned a GSA for 6 years and a GS for 4 years before.
    The GSA is only slightly heavier but offers more in comfort and weather protection and better suspension.
    Its only when its stopped you notice the weight but I am turning 65 and can still manage fine.
    I have been looking for a smaller and lighter endure type bike and have tried many but none ticked all the boxes to replace the GSA.
    The BMW XR was a great bike for city or shorter journeys but revs too highly to be relaxing for a long journey
    BMW 800 GS is only a little lighter and still very tall.
    I quite liked the Triumph 800's but would worry slightly about reliability and resale value.
    I just didn't like the Versys, maybe not endure enough for me.
    Last week I tried 2 Honda CB500X with 2 different levels of rally raid suspension conversions and enjoyed it very much driving around the Wicklow mountains and I will be ordering one next year. Admittedly it will have much less wind and weather protection but you can't have everything.
    If anyone is looking for 08 GSA with full BMW service history,ESA suspension, BMW alarm, new tyres 2000 km , 3 Touratech Boxes with BMW inner bags, BMW Tank Bag, Garmin Zumo 550 with lifetime Europe Maps private message me.

blade1 wrote: »
    What was wrong with the Tracer?

I liked the tracer.... nice to ride and also the BM.
    The BM feels like a substantial bike for your money.....
    Ive actually just bought the GSA 2010.!!!!
    Very comfy , after 2hrs riding, and still doing the twisties.
    Although I need to get used to how far away the road is when you top and put the feet down !!!

Thanks to you all for your in put....
    I did a PX with the vfr for a 2010 gs a.
    Very happy with the choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

It just has to be bmw doesn't it? No other bikes exist.

Synthol wrote: »

:D..... That's like one of the vfr owners said......" you may say goodbye to being a biker, if you buy the BM " !!!!!!
    I hope it is the best bike Ive ever ridden... Only time will tell.
    All I can say, is I chose it over the Multistrada and the Tracer.... and for the few miles Ive done on it....... I love it . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

GBX wrote: »
    Also check out the XTZ1200 Super Tenere

Yes, I'm in the same boat and what's hold my back from the super tenere is no bloody heat grips. This is a must for our winters imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, I'm in the same boat and what's hold my back from the super tenere is no bloody heat grips. This is a must for our winters imo.

Heated gloves are much better than heated grips.

:D..... That's like one of the vfr owners said......" you may say goodbye to being a biker, if you buy the BM " !!!!!!
    I hope it is the best bike Ive ever ridden... Only time will tell.
    All I can say, is I chose it over the Multistrada and the Tracer.... and for the few miles Ive done on it....... I love it . ;)

And have you tried the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Awful snobby for a lad going on about snobby bmw owners aren't we?

They do make some nice bikes in fairness.

gerrowadat wrote: »

But sure he rides a super busa. :D Nothing else is good enough.

Cienciano wrote: »
    They do make some nice bikes in fairness.

True but bmw is not the only manufacturer of motorbikes in the world so much so that any other manufacturers are not even considered, because "bmw is the best". Motorbikes are performance machines so performance is most important when choosing a motorbike.

Paulw wrote: »
    But sure he rides a super busa. :D Nothing else is good enough.

I like many other motorbikes including the s1000rr.

gerrowadat wrote: »

Says the man who regularly overpays the dealer for their services because anything else is not good enough.

True but bmw is not the only manufacturer of motorbikes in the world so much so that any other manufacturers are not even considered, because "bmw is the best". Motorbikes are performance machines so performance is most important when choosing a motorbike.

LOL, no, not really. Loads of things to consider, performance may be right down the list of some people, might not even be a consideration for a lot of people. Anyway, OP considered other bikes but wants a GS.

And have you tried the others?

Yes. tried the Ducati/ Yam and then the GS/ GS TE and then the GSA....
    Personal choice... the GSA..... gives all I'm looking for ;-):D

Motorbikes are performance machines so performance is most important when choosing a motorbike.

What a load of rubbish. :D Performance is one factor. There are MANY other factors - fuel economy, comfort, stability, etc. Some want bikes to ride two up, some want to carry gear, some want a touring bike, some want an adventure bike, some want a simple commuter. If performance was most important, there would be very limited choice in bikes.

I know, I know ... I shouldn't feed the super busa troll. :D

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. :D Performance is one factor. There are MANY other factors - fuel economy, comfort, stability, etc. Some want bikes to ride two up, some want to carry gear, some want a touring bike, some want an adventure bike, some want a simple commuter. If performance was most important, there would be very limited choice in bikes.

I know, I know ... I shouldn't feed the super busa troll. :D

Comfort, fuel economy, stability? Sounds like the features of a car to me.

Advertisement