Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre Airplane or Airport behaviour

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Flying home from Lanzarote last month with my wife and kids. There is a large departures hall there. Next thing a huge Muslim guy (I based this assumption on the fact that the lady with him was wearing a Hijab) Starts roaring in Arabic and running around making dramatic gestures with his hands. I've never seen a situation turn so tense so quickly. Everyone in the entire airport went silent stood still and the only noise was this guy roaring loudly. Armed airport police were there in an instant and were ready to react. I honestly thought they were going to shoot this guy on the spot as he had a coat on and was opening it. The lady with him spoke to the police and the situation seemed to calm down a little. It eventually looked as though he was just a guy with some special needs and was panicking being in the airport. We were all ushered through security fairly lively though. My kids were looking at me during it all to see my reaction. I was telling them it was fine and not to worry. I was bricking it to be honest! What struck me as weird was that I saw two people taking out their phones to video the unfolding scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

LynnGrace wrote: »
    amtc wrote: »
    That's wha

Did nobody else step on them while you were there?

No! This was 7 years of this but I had perfected a kind of crawl to put in time and found a kind of out of way escalator! Felt so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

amtc wrote: »
    I used to get the 6.50 flight to brussels and back same day 9pm on a regular basis. My meetings were at the airport and were generally over by 2, so O developed a nice little coffee and bar crawl round the airport but generally ended up bored stiff by the gate on the way home. The flight to Dublin always left the same gate as one to Israel. There was a coke machine in the corner and all the people on the Israeli flight used to kneel and pray to the drinks machine. Obviously this faced in Mecca (although to this day I have no idea if going to Israel this is a fact). I must say I found this extremely funny. The bar crawl before hand may have helped.

Blonde you say ?
    Em.... I'm not sure they face Mecca. Unless in a tank.

Post of the day. :D

Haven't had any really funny encounters in flying, but once on take off the oxygen masks dropped down on our row at the back.
    The hostess rushed down to tell us not to pull them.
    She tried to push them back up, but the flap wouldn't stay shut and she wasn't supposed to cellotape them shut just in case we did really need them.

There was almost one of those Fr Dougal moments when it ever so tempting to just give an auld pull to the mask and inhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Flying from London to Vancouver a few years back and I was seated behind a German married couple, id say mid 60s and from the moment the flight started right up to when we landed, the guy just stared at the live in-flight map that showed the symbol of the plane and how fast we were going, distance to destination etc. He never once looked at a magazine, watched a movie or walked around the cabin.
    Literally 10 hours staring at this map. Weird.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Flying from London to Vancouver a few years back and I was seated behind a German married couple, id say mid 60s and from the moment the flight started right up to when we landed, the guy just stared at the live in-flight map that showed the symbol of the plane and how fast we were going, distance to destination etc. He never once looked at a magazine, watched a movie or walked around the cabin.
    Literally 10 hours staring at this map. Weird.

That could be a distraction technique to get over a fear of flying or enclosed spaces.

I had a flight where 2 ladies were sat opposite me, I in the middle seat and they insisted yapping over me the whole flight.
    I suggested a move, but they didn't. That's OK, some people like being in their assigned seats.
    The one at the window also had the weakest bladder in the universe and stored her carry on luggage on her lap. The one on the outside had a similar affliction.
    So every 20 minutes they were getting up to go to the jacks, trying to play tetris with their hand luggage on their seats and I had to get up. And then they had to do the dance in reverse when they came back to the seat.
    It wasn't too difficult, just annoying and having to shift about so much.

I didn't pee once on the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Em.... I'm not sure they face Mecca. Unless in a tank.

around 20% of the population in Israel (around 1.5m) is muslim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Thanks. At least I know I wasn't going mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I saw a guy video-edit an entire ad campaign for Chanel (the latest Kirsten Stewart one) on a flight from Stuttgart to London a few months ago. Pulled out the laptop, stuck in the earphones and away he went for a good three hours, adding special effects and playing around with music and photoshopping Stewart for half the plane to see. I wasn't complaining, it was pretty fascinating to watch and a nice aul preview but a bit bizarre all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Actually the mention of Lanzarote reminds me of the family I encountered coming back to Shannon one year.

It was a mother, father and three children including one pushchair and an elderly lady I took to be granny.

The fun started getting off the bus at Arrecife. It was a narrow gap between bus and footpath, mother and granny, struggled with all the suitcases and pushchair and left them piled on the path while dad looked on with a stupid blank look on his face. Mother and granny struggled while a crowd built up behind them.

Then at security granny was left to struggle with pushchair and children while dad looked on with a stupid blank look on his face while a crowd built up behind them.

Finally in Shannon granny was ahead of us on the down escalator struggling with the same pushchair and bags and chose to stop at the foot of the escalator while a crowd crashed into her . Dad was nowhere to be seen at this stage but I bet he still had a stupid blank face on him.

Saw a chap trip up a flight attendant carrying drinks after making a fuss about made-up issues in a failed attempt to get an upgrade. Horrible piece of work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement