Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizarre Airplane or Airport behaviour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

jmayo wrote: »
    This looked so promising what with a lady in your seat and then ....

And again a stunning girl and ...
    :(
    I guess I am expecting too much from this thread ever since the stories about the Russians and Ukrainians.

I was being polite. Google Kyle and Rhonda from Road Trip. This pair could have been lifted straight from that movie

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I once got a flight from London to Dublin and my seat ended up being right in the middle of a family or two of about 16 what I believe to be Roma gypsies. The first thing the guy sitting beside me said was 'that's a nice watch you have there how much did it cost?''

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OnDraught wrote: »
    Planes should be divided up with a section for people that want to sit in peace and not have to listen to other people's nonsense/kids. I'd pay extra for this.

I was once on a flight out of Amman where half the plane was full of people being made leave the country.
    These were people that have never been on a plane before who were bringing shopping bags of their belongings and food on board, not knowing they had assigned seats, not knowing how to close seatbelt buckles, walking around on take off and during the flight.
    It was a strange flight to be on to hear all the gasps when turbulence hit and when the plane landed.

But begorrah, not one of them stood up until the plane was taxi'd and the seatbelt light went off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Ryanair now print which door you should board through on your boarding pass.

If you are sitting in row 1 you board through the front door and so on.

You will continue to find people who board through the wrong door and blame the cabin crew for it when it is pointed out to them.

I suppose I should keep that in mind, so next time I show the nice Aer Lingus lady my ticket when entering the plane, and she points down the aisle as to say "your seat is that way", I won't give her the "no sh1t sherlock" look. Apparently there are people who genuinely need this sort of hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

what always amazes me is the people who argue with Cabin crew or security.

You will never win, so don't even bother trying. Your civil rights get left at the entrance to the airport, if you don't like it, don't fly.

They seem to get away with whatever they want because they can just summon the police if anyone tries to pull them up on something. No incentive for them to give a good service

Twould make my life so much easier if I had a horde of armed henchmen to dispatch any prickly customers for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Two fat Americans acting personally offended that I (a) had the aisle seat - they asked for me to be moved so they could have the space! (b) actually wanted some overhead compartment space and (c) wouldn't share the sweets that I'd brought as my own snack on a flight from London to Dublin years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Not really weird but when I was young, my sisters and I were traveling with mum to Hong Kong with BA. They had separated us all in economy and my mum complained. We got upgraded to business class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

defrule wrote: »
    Not really weird but when I was young, my sisters and I were traveling with mum to Hong Kong with BA. They had separated us all in economy and my mum complained. We got upgraded to business class.

BA doing a Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

The night after the Germany v Ireland match 3 years ago (the one where John O'Shea scored the injury time equaliser) I was flying from Dusseldorf back to Dublin. Trying to get to the airport was a disaster as the trains and busses had stopped running, and the autobahns were closed around the airport due to a security alert. Eventually got close enough to the airport in a taxi whose driver had some local knowledge. Flight was delayed, place was packed and German security was everywhere. Turns out there was a bomb scare in the airport. Eventually security queues were processed and I and several hundred celebrating Irish football supporters made our way to the gate. Further delays, which allowed even more celebrating, drinking and singing, until hours later they announced that the airport was completely closed and that the Dublin plane was in Cologne.
    So we were herded onto buses and driven down the Autobahn to Cologne airport. The real fun started in Cologne, where you could say the **** hit the fan. We all had to go through airport security again, which meant no liquids, which included all the duty free booze from Dusseldorf airport. Most of the Irish supporters were not very willing to part with their expensive purchases. I handed over a bottle of wine, but the gent behind me refused to give up 2 bottles of whiskey, and tried to drink it on the spot. Lots of name calling, chanting, and standoffs ensued, and more security was called. I moved on, so I don't know what happened the protesters, but I'm sure some of them did not get through.
    Eventually got back to Dublin the following morning. Found out there was actually a WWII bomb in Dusseldorf airport. Still have the email from Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm all for a good time but a guy sitting beside me one particular time, part of a stag, was about 40-45 years old, absolutely powering through drinks at around 10am and roaring random phrases sporadically - every time one of his mates would roar something back but there was no actual conversation as such. At one point he was just literally making gutteral noises every few minutes - no words, just a bizarre noise like Bat Dad from South Park in between gulps of beer.
    ?".

This reminds me of a flight I was on with my family 2 Christmases ago. Going to Fuerteventura.

There was a guy in (I'd say) his 50s. He was absolutely flutered and kept barking out the same line every few minutes, I think it went something like "Get your knickers down, the boys are back in town" and he kept hugging another man around the same age, talking about how they were going to 'rip the place up'.

Anyway, when we landed it became apparent that he wasn't on a stag, but with his very embarrassed wife and young daughter :o he didn't even seem to know the guy he kept hugging. That guy scarpered with his own family as soon as we hit the terminal.

We were behind the drunk guy and his family in the Taxi queue and the wife got into the taxi with the kid and wouldn't let him into the cab. Pushed him away and got the driver to drive off :o

My heart went out to the kid. That was her holiday ruined I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Flying to New York one time, hear loud screaming coming from the back of the plane. Screams of pain not drunkeness or anything. About 90 minutes in, way over the atlantic one of the cabin crew come over the PA and ask is there a doctor on board. I don't think there was so this poor dude suffered all the way to NY with whatever he has.

When we landed we were told to stay in our seats, they opened the doors and a load of medical people ran down the aisle. Kept us there for a good while before we were allowed off. Never found out if the guy was OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Flying to New York one time, hear loud screaming coming from the back of the plane. Screams of pain not drunkeness or anything. About 90 minutes in, way over the atlantic one of the cabin crew come over the PA and ask is there a doctor on board. I don't think there was so this poor dude suffered all the way to NY with whatever he has.

When we landed we were told to stay in our seats, they opened the doors and a load of medical people ran down the aisle. Kept us there for a good while before we were allowed off. Never found out if the guy was OK.

It was that Russian bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

10 hr flight from London to Seattle, couldn't check in online so I have to be assigned at the airport and I get the sh*ttiest seat near the rear toilets. And the passenger seated next to me is an old ex-Boeing engineer who wanted to talk about his toy train collection. Nice gent, but enough...

I also started to throw up from food poisoning once about 2 hrs into a 10 hr flight from London to Cancún. Couldn't make it to the toilet in time... embarassing and so desperately sorry for all the other passengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

On an interminable journey from London to Seattle one time and had a good laugh off a girl across the aisle from me as she looked like she was losing the will to leave as some old codger was boring the ear off her by droning on about some hobby or other. It got so bad I think she put her own fingers back her throat at least five time to induce vomit just to get away from him. Think she sicked all over herself at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I was on a flight home from Paris a few years ago and the couple in front of me were so lovey dovey. I could hear the noise of the smooching, and he kept leaning in whispering to her, touching her hair etc etc..
    Then the plane lands and they share another kiss. Few arse grabs on the way out. Smoochy smooch.. Grand.

But the fcuking weirdest part was their behaviour totally changed once we arrived at the baggage collection. We were all stood around the belt and they didn't acknowledge one another. Both grabbed their bags individually and off they went on their separate ways. Clearly having an affair I thought! Then the saddest thing was when we walked through to arrivals, the dude's wife and kids were there waiting for him and the kid was shouting "daddy!!".. meanwhile off walks his mistress out of the airport alone and his wife was none the wiser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Flying out of Riga in the last year arrived at passport control a hour and half before hand , loads of time youd think ,

there was a flight to Israel leaving around the same time . about 100 older people came marching up to the top of the line and pushed in waving Israeli passports and shouting about being late

any one who objected was shouted down and pushed aside by them in a most ignorant manner ,

two more desks were opened to try and get everyone through but more kept pushing to the front of the line resulting in me oly just getting to the gate as it closed and being that dick who is last on the plane .

never seen such obnoxious behavior by such a large group of people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Did you feel like spilling the beans to the man's wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Flying out of Riga in the last year arrived at passport control a hour and half before hand , loads of time youd think ,

there was a flight to Israel leaving around the same time . about 100 older people came marching up to the top of the line and pushed in waving Israeli passports and shouting about being late

any one who objected was shouted down and pushed aside by them in a most ignorant manner ,

two more desks were opened to try and get everyone through but more kept pushing to the front of the line resulting in me oly just getting to the gate as it closed and being that dick who is last on the plane .

Must gave thought you were Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

branie2 wrote: »
    Did you feel like spilling the beans to the man's wife?

Na. None of my business. Except when it comes to unloading it all on t'internet. Obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Was sat beside a large American chap on the way over to New York, early morning flight.

I was in a hazy half-napping state and not particularly hungry but before I could say no the air hostess had already plonked down the hot meal. I ignored it and drifted back to my half-napping state.

About 5 minutes later I awoke to the guy tapping me asking if he could have my meal before the air hostess came back to collect it.

Grand, says I.

Trying to drift off and again he taps me. The air hostesses are bringing down small tubs of ice-cream and he wanted me to be awake to take mine and give it to him.

I gave it to him but I did not feel good about it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was flying to Philadelphia from Dublin (T2) and approaching the boarding gate there was this cafe selling alcohol, as well as breakfast and coffee etc. It was the only one nearby so it was busy, it was about 8am.

As we walked down along the hall towards the cafe we passed this loud obnoxious man in a wheelchair with a much younger companion. He was cross and contankerous and very unpleasant during the brief moment we were near him. We went down and joined the long que, and were almost at the top when these two arrived at the cafe.

She joined the que and he proceeded to bulldoze everyone out of his way as he pushed past the que to the top. Nobody said anything but everyone seemed a bit taken aback. The lady served him, then proceeded to ask for payment, so at this point he starts roaring at his companion, demanding she come to the counter to pay the lady and order. The poor woman was scarlet, and was apooogusing profusely as she made her way to him. He loudly told her to stop apologising, that none of us were in a wheelchair, he was and "they can deal" with it.

He was so hateful, rude and aggressive, it was thoroughly bizarre.

Another time I was flying from Dublin to stansted and was eating a muffin waiting to board and this weirdo just kept staring at me so I asked him if he wanted a bite of it, he looked thoroughly horrified and didn't even respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On an interminable journey from London to Seattle one time and had a good laugh off a girl across the aisle from me as she looked like she was losing the will to leave as some old codger was boring the ear off her by droning on about some hobby or other. It got so bad I think she put her own fingers back her throat at least five time to induce vomit just to get away from him. Think she sicked all over herself at one stage.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mynamejeff wrote: »

Having worked in the travel industry I can tell you that Israelis are pretty much without exception the rudest and most ignorant people when travelling in a group. Truly vile and obnoxious to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I used to get the 6.50 flight to brussels and back same day 9pm on a regular basis. My meetings were at the airport and were generally over by 2, so O developed a nice little coffee and bar crawl round the airport but generally ended up bored stiff by the gate on the way home. The flight to Dublin always left the same gate as one to Israel. There was a coke machine in the corner and all the people on the Israeli flight used to kneel and pray to the drinks machine. Obviously this faced in Mecca (although to this day I have no idea if going to Israel this is a fact). I must say I found this extremely funny. The bar crawl before hand may have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

amtc wrote: »
    I used to get the 6.50 flight to brussels and back same day 9pm on a regular basis. My meetings were at the airport and were generally over by 2, so O developed a nice little coffee and bar crawl round the airport but generally ended up bored stiff by the gate on the way home. The flight to Dublin always left the same gate as one to Israel. There was a coke machine in the corner and all the people on the Israeli flight used to kneel and pray to the drinks machine. Obviously this faced in Mecca (although to this day I have no idea if going to Israel this is a fact). I must say I found this extremely funny. The bar crawl before hand may have helped.

Em.... I'm not sure they face Mecca. Unless in a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

That's what made it funny! To this day I regret I never asked.

Mind you (although having quite a good Masters) I can be extremely blonde. I complained after 7 years of doing this trip that the escalators in brussels airport were constantly out of order. My boss cracked up and told me they only started when you stood on them. Not my finest hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Flying from Philadelphia to Dublin connecting on the way back to Vegas a few years back.  Waiting at the gate and there is an American couple (mid to late 40's I'd say, looked like a couple of backward hicks) waiting to board the plane too.  They proceed to fill their large coke they purchased from the fast food place with their duty free so they could drink it on the plane.  Fair enough. 
    Two of them are p*ssed on the plane and the guy proceeds to go into the toilet and thinks its a good idea to light up a cigarette.  Air hostess had been watching them and knew what the craic was.  She lay into him when he came out and made him show her the cigarette making sure that it wasn't in the bin.  She was asking him if he realised that if the toilets went up in flames, that we are 30,000 miles above the Atlantic Ocean and there was no where to go, what would he do.  His response was "ugh I dunno". 
    Then in passport control in Dublin they were in the EU queue, no clue what was going on and tried to argue that they were in the correct queue.  Everyone from the flight starting giving them stick.  Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Mind you (although having quite a good Masters) I can be extremely blonde. I complained after 7 years of doing this trip that the escalators in brussels airport were constantly out of order. My boss cracked up and told me they only started when you stood on them. Not my finest hour.

In fairness it's like that in Berlin too. Nearly broke my neck on an escalators the first time when it just started moving. I had assumed it was out off order. Although I am very blonde too :)

The story about the man and his mistress reminded me of another story. I was coming home from somewhere, can't remember where but this man and his son were sitting beside me. The man started chatting to me while his son, who was about 6, played a video game. He was from Bulgaria and he seemed really nice. He talked about his wife and the reasons they moved to Ireland.

He asked me my name and I told him as I saw no reason not too. We said our goodbyes getting off the plane and that was it.. or so I thought. A few days later I got a message on FB in the 'other messages' folder. It was from a guy called Igor. I was like.. huh, who and then I remembered that was his name. I didn't reply. He continued to message me for about 3 months afterwards asking why I wasn't responding, did I not like him any longer, what is my problem, do I think I'm better then him etc etc. Pretty creepy and very odd behaviour.

I always think of the poor wife. God knows how many women he's doing that kind of thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Did nobody else step on them while you were there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

OnDraught wrote: »
    Planes should be divided up with a section for people that want to sit in peace and not have to listen to other people's nonsense/kids. I'd pay extra for this.

Some are. It's called First/Business Class.

Advertisement