Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandela effect

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Ugh now I'm stumped, this was something that was mentioned in a seminar on history and memory, by a historian, to a group of graduate students years ago. I'm trying to Google it to find out where it originated and I can't find anything. I'll keep looking.

It would be bitterly ironic if it turned out to be a false memory.

This has been well-studied in psychology and is a bias that has to be factored for. I can't think of the term for it and i'm not walking the 20 feet to the book for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This has been well-studied in psychology and is a bias that has to be factored for. I can't think of the term for it and i'm not walking the 20 feet to the book for you.

I know it's a well-studied phenomenon in general but the specific incidence of Irish people of a certain age very commonly having memories of the Black and Tans is what Duffy was asking about and which I'm struggling to find a source for.

Also, username checks out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Alas, poor Yorrick, I knew him well

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Burial. wrote: »
    Most famous one is probably that the Queen song doesn't end in "We are the champions....of the world". "Of the world" is sang at the end of one of the choruses but the final part finishes with "cause we are the champions". Pretty mad.

Also the song One Vision ends "gimme gimme gimme fried chicken"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory

Anybody ever hear of this before.I for a long time thought in the movie Forrest gump in probably the most famous since in the movie thought he said "momma always said life is like a box of chocolates".but he actually says "momma always said life was like a box of chocolates.anyone else have an example of something they thought happened/was said but the opposite actually happened/was said.

Wtf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Alas, poor Yorrick, I knew him well

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've been watching videos of it on YouTube recently. It started off as being interesting but the more I watched the more I discovered most of them are nonsense. They're just people getting their facts wrong.

There's someone who makes a new video anytime he discovers he's been mishearing a song lyric slightly. Anytime he notices there's an S at the end of a word which he had previously being hearing differently he makes a video about it. He must have dozens of these videos.

In another video he even blames his divorce on his wife being a different person in 'this reality'.

Most of this shite is people not wanting to accept they're wrong about something. Here's a YouTube comment I saw recently.

426192.jpg

One Mandela Effect that I was surprised at was that Oliver Hardy never said "that's another fine mess you've gotten me into". It was always "nice mess".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

James Cagney was lampooned by impressionists for decades using his catchphrase "why, you dirty rat". He never said it, ever.

The Mandela effect isn't just people remembering things wrong. People that believe in it believe that reality is being changed because there's an alternate reality that they shift in and out of, that people are travelling from the future and changing time or that we're living in some kind of computer simulation.

Apparently thousands of people remember Nelson Mandela dying and his funeral being broadcast on television in the 1980s, hence the name Mandela effect.

There are some people that take all of this far too seriously and appear to have some kind of mental disorder. Anytime they discover they've being remembering a song lyric or a line in a film incorrectly they think it's more 'evidence' that whatever insane theory they believe is right. They're obsessed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Burial. wrote:
    Most famous one is probably that the Queen song doesn't end in "We are the champions....of the world". "Of the world" is sang at the end of one of the choruses but the final part finishes with "cause we are the champions". Pretty mad.

Pretty sure he sang it on a live video that is quite well known. It's just not on any album/single or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

The Mandela effect isn't just people remembering things wrong. People that believe in it believe that reality is being changed because there's an alternate reality that they shift in and out of, that people are travelling from the future and changing time or that we're living in some kind of computer simulation.

Apparently thousands of people remember Nelson Mandela dying and his funeral being broadcast on television in the 1980s, hence the name Mandela effect.

There are some people that take all of this far too seriously and appear to have some kind of mental disorder. Anytime they discover they've being remembering a song lyric or a line in a film incorrectly they think it's more 'evidence' that whatever insane theory they believe is right. They're obsessed with it.

Thats where the term comes from a woman said she remembers his funeal being on tv.she was shocked to hear and see he was still alive this was about 2 r 3 years before he died.he said she remembers news reports saying he had died in prison on robin island.thousands of others said they also remember the same thing.the Kennedy assassination is another people remembering four people in the car when actually there where 6 people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Of course maybe you only think you heard about all this, and learning about how it worked, but in fact you never did

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Burial. wrote: »

This is one of the main examples used when it comes to the Mandela Effect and it's complete bollocks.

The live version of We are the Champions ends with 'of the world' and that's the version most people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I think this quote qualifies, as its used as the exact opposite of what it means.
    "Blood is thicker than water". People use this to mean that family is more important than non-family. But the original phrase is "the blood of battle is thicker than the waters of the womb". Which means that people you have shared adversity with are more important than those that are just family.

I think this quote qualifies, as its used as the exact opposite of what it means. "Blood is thicker than water". People use this to mean that family is more important than non-family. But the original phrase is "the blood of battle is thicker than the waters of the womb". Which means that people you have shared adversity with are more important than those that are just family.

No that isn't Mandela effect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wonder if this is how languages evolve... our brains are auto-correcting word combinations into an easier to remember \ pronounce form...

Maybe but it's not the Mandela effect is it?

The mandela effect is remembering something that never happened. Not remembering something slightly differently.

So for example Darth vader never said "Luke, I am your father" but he did reveal himself as Luke's father.

However the mandela effect is remembering thousands of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating 9/11 when it never happened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Grayson wrote: »
    Maybe but it's not the Mandela effect is it?
    The mandela effect is remembering something that never happened. Not remembering something slightly differently. So for example Darth vader never said "Luke, I am your father" but he did reveal himself as Luke's father.
    However the mandela effect is remembering thousands of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating 9/11 when it never happened at all.

Did people actually remember that as happening, or do they remember reading an untrue media report about that happening?
    It's not a false memory, it's a memory of something false.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Did people actually remember that as happening, or do they remember reading an untrue media report about that happening?
    It's not a false memory, it's a memory of something false.

It's neither.

In order for this to be the Mandela effect it would have to be something like a significant proportion of people who believed they saw this on tv or the like (but obviously didn't). The reality is that it is more likely to be something that a relatively small number of people genuinely did witness with their own eyes (I don't think there was ever a claim that it was thousands either, like some sort of carnival).

It's also a political comment unnecessarily shoe-horned into the mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory

Anybody ever hear of this before.I for a long time thought in the movie Forrest gump in probably the most famous since in the movie thought he said "momma always said life is like a box of chocolates".but he actually says "momma always said life was like a box of chocolates.anyone else have an example of something they thought happened/was said but the opposite actually happened/was said.

FFS is that the best you could come up with...? :rolls eyes:

Beam me up Scotty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I stopped in the shop on the way home and picked up some fresh herbs and spices, some wild duck and four bottles of wine. To go home and prepare some Sous Vide while listening to Beethoven on the gramaphone.

The following morning I had a radically different recollection of events!

The apartment was trashed, curtains torn, I was covered in some kind of yellow ectoplasm.
    The four wine bottles were mysteriously empty. And a trail of bits of pizza and chips led outside to my car crashed into a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    The apartment was trashed, curtains torn, I was covered in some kind of yellow ectoplasm.
    The four wine bottles were mysteriously empty. And a trail of bits of pizza and chips led outside to my car crashed into a wall.

That's not the Mandela effect. That's the MERLOT effect!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

ligerdub wrote: »
    It's neither.

In order for this to be the Mandela effect it would have to be something like a significant proportion of people who believed they saw this on tv or the like (but obviously didn't). The reality is that it is more likely to be something that a relatively small number of people genuinely did witness with their own eyes (I don't think there was ever a claim that it was thousands either, like some sort of carnival).

It's also a political comment unnecessarily shoe-horned into the mixer.

It's not a political example shoehorned. When I first heard of the Mandela effect it was given as an example.
    Loads of people, including the current US president, claim to remember watching news reports about it. However there were no news report of it happening. There's no record of it happening. No reporter saw it. And people have trawled through all the video from that day and it's not there. It's a fake memory that some people have.

Grayson wrote: »
    It's not a political example shoehorned. When I first heard of the Mandela effect it was given as an example.
    Loads of people, including the current US president, claim to remember watching news reports about it. However there were no news report of it happening. There's no record of it happening. No reporter saw it. And people have trawled through all the video from that day and it's not there. It's a fake memory that some people have.

I'm sure you could have found a better example.

I don't want to drag this particular topic out, but there are quite a few examples of this actually happening. This video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_TwEaF5Jh0

Now this all depends on whether or not you consider this to be fake news or not. Bear in mind that the Mandela effect does not relate to something so and so had seen with their own eyes a couple of days ago, and it usually relates to the trivial, rather than something which would tend to provoke some sort of emotion. It's usually something that builds up over time for some reason. These incidents are different. Also, I don't believe there is a common perception that they saw news reports, or more specifically video of them in the act. There is unlikely to be footage of such an occurrence anyway, and as it turns out there obviously were news reports that said exactly that.

In any event it's still not the Mandela effect, it's a totally different thing.

The Mandela effect is such that the general belief if that such and such is true, but it can be demonstrably shown to not be the case e.g. everyone thinks the monopoly guy wears a monocle but he doesn't and here is why. There's no such footnote in the New Jersey/911 example.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kit Kat or Kit-Kat?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kit Kat or Kit-Kat?

Club milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

twill wrote: »
    The film Apollo 13 changed the line to ""we have a problem" for dramatic effect.

On the topic of Apollo 13, in the film Ed Harris who played Gene Kranz said "failure it not an option" whereas the real Gene Kranz never said that.

The phrase became so well associated with him that he titled his autobiography Failure is not an Option

ligerdub wrote: »
    I'm sure you could have found a better example.

I don't want to drag this particular topic out, but there are quite a few examples of this actually happening. This video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_TwEaF5Jh0

Now this all depends on whether or not you consider this to be fake news or not. Bear in mind that the Mandela effect does not relate to something so and so had seen with their own eyes a couple of days ago, and it usually relates to the trivial, rather than something which would tend to provoke some sort of emotion. It's usually something that builds up over time for some reason. These incidents are different. Also, I don't believe there is a common perception that they saw news reports, or more specifically video of them in the act. There is unlikely to be footage of such an occurrence anyway, and as it turns out there obviously were news reports that said exactly that.

In any event it's still not the Mandela effect, it's a totally different thing.

The Mandela effect is such that the general belief if that such and such is true, but it can be demonstrably shown to not be the case e.g. everyone thinks the monopoly guy wears a monocle but he doesn't and here is why. There's no such footnote in the New Jersey/911 example.

It's the exact same thing. People remember hearing that Mandela died. None of them claim to be there when it happened. They claim to remember hearing about it or seeing it on TV.
    The same thing occurs with Muslims dancing in the streets after 9/11. Trump never claimed to be there, neither did all the people who claimed to see it on TV. They all say they remember seeing reports of it happening at the time. Some were even specific enough to remember a particular reporter and channel.

They're both false memories about something that they claim to have seen on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wrong: 'Woof' said Flaherty
    Correct: 'Woof' said Faherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Most people remember the line in Field of Dreams as "If you build it they will come".

But it's actually he will come.

Seen some heated discussions on it online over the years with many convinced that the film must have been changed over time.

Advertisement