Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandela effect

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Most people remember the line in Field of Dreams as "If you build it they will come".

But it's actually he will come.

Seen some heated discussions on it online over the years with many convinced that the film must have been changed over time.

I guess it says a lot about modern society that so many of these examples are about mis remembered movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Grayson wrote: »
    It's the exact same thing. People remember hearing that Mandela died. None of them claim to be there when it happened. They claim to remember hearing about it or seeing it on TV.
    The same thing occurs with Muslims dancing in the streets after 9/11. Trump never claimed to be there, neither did all the people who claimed to see it on TV. They all say they remember seeing reports of it happening at the time. Some were even specific enough to remember a particular reporter and channel.
    They're both false memories about something that they claim to have seen on TV.

There was footage of Muslims dancing in the streets after 9/11 - it just wasn't from the USA or near the Twin Towers.
    There were reports but no footage of Muslims celebrating in New Jersey, a very small number and nowhere near the Twin Towers.
    Fresh in people's minds would have been lots of footage of the Twin Towers attacks.
    I can see how it might have gotten conflated in error in memories.

But what was the source\trigger of the actual error-memory about Nelson Mandela? Can we trace it to some other announcement of the death of a public figure that was the news about the same time as Mandela was in the news I wonder?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I guess it says a lot about modern society that so many of these examples are about mis remembered movies.

In the 19th century it probably happened with phrases from the Bible or poems?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's the exact same thing. People remember hearing that Mandela died. None of them claim to be there when it happened. They claim to remember hearing about it or seeing it on TV.
    The same thing occurs with Muslims dancing in the streets after 9/11. Trump never claimed to be there, neither did all the people who claimed to see it on TV. They all say they remember seeing reports of it happening at the time. Some were even specific enough to remember a particular reporter and channel.
    They're both false memories about something that they claim to have seen on TV.

There was footage of Muslims dancing in the streets after 9/11 - it just wasn't from the USA or near the Twin Towers.
    There were reports but no footage of Muslims celebrating in New Jersey, a very small number and nowhere near the Twin Towers.
    Fresh in people's minds would have been lots of footage of the Twin Towers attacks.
    I can see how it might have gotten conflated in error in memories.

But what was the source\trigger of the actual error-memory about Nelson Mandela? Can we trace it to some other announcement of the death of a public figure that was the news about the same time as Mandela was in the news I wonder?
    They probably have a vague memory of his release from prison, clearly if they didn't realise for twenty or so years that he was still alive they must not pay much attention to the news or anything so hearing his name a lot when he got out of prison they got it in their heads the whole event was a funeral (huge crowd lining the streets etc). Nothing mysterious about it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Only just discovered the acknowledgement of the "Mandela Effect" over the weekend.

I clearly remember actor Jack Palance dying in the late 1990s after he starred in City Slickers 2. I nearly fell off the seat when in the early 00s he then presented an award at the Oscars and then died (again) in 2006. I googled this at the time and loads of other people remember the same events but there is no media trace of Jack's first "death".

Same too with actor Martin Landau. I remember him dying shortly after winning the Oscar for Ed Wood. I was really surprised then to see on the news his death announced in 2017. Some people remember him winning that Oscar posthumously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Mandy Rice Davies’ famous Profumo scandal quote; people often recall it as “Well, he would say that, wouldn’t he?”. But it was simply “Well, he would, wouldn’t he?”.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kit Kat or Kit-Kat?
    KiteKat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Something that I noticed while re watching The Sopranos recently. Silvio Dante always quotes Godfather in the show but one of the lines he says is "Our true enemy has yet to reveal himself" which is a quote from Godfather 3, however in the actual movie Michael Corleone actually says "Our true enemy has not yet shown his face".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

(I couldn't find a clip of his joke about Nelson's column)

I just saw the word Mandela and forgot about that is was referring to the "Mandela effect"
    Haw Haw!

Oh wait - wrong Nelson...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement