Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I am iffy about gardasil but both my children had their childhood jabs. My son has autism but I don't think for one second that jabs caused it. It's just as babies get older it becomes more obvious if they are developmentally different and people like to have someone to blame naturally enough so it must be big pharma or something mammy did/ate/said/thought rather than genetics.

Just worth noting in relation to any of your gardasil concerns, one of the main claimed side effects by antivax crowd is chronic fatigue syndrome. This has a tendency to manifest itself at a similar age to the point where they'd be getting hpv vaccine. So it's basically the exact same way as the first signs of autism tends to show up at around the same as mmr vaccine. No sign of any causal relationship.

But otherwise, fair play on being one of the wise parents. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

batgoat wrote: »
    Just worth noting in relation to any of your gardasil concerns, one of the main claimed side effects by antivax crowd is chronic fatigue syndrome. This has a tendency to manifest itself at a similar age to the point where they'd be getting hpv vaccine. So it's basically the exact same way as the first signs of autism tends to show up at around the same as mmr vaccine. No sign of any causal relationship.
    But otherwise, fair play on being one of the wise parents. :)

I did read that somewhere and that most of the girls who had side effects seemed to be very sporty athletic types who would be more prone to chronic fatigue syndrome alright. I will still get both of mine vaccinated when old enough. If I can prevent a cancer then hell yeah they are getting a jab.!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Queen Cleopatra

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    Parents opinion is just that, their opinion. It does not trump science.

I have a brother who was adversely affected by the swine flu vaccination (Accepted by the medical community). However, my views on vaccination have not changed. I can say the same for my parents. We are very much pro-vaccine. If it is mentioned in conversation though that my brother developed narcolepsy as a result of the swine flu vaccination, a lot of people will become very defensive of vaccinations. They don't want to accept that there could ever be any problems with a vaccine. Its almost as if they see me as anti-vax, which couldn't be further from the truth. Then there are those that ramble on about vaccines and autism etc and they can't understand how I am pro-vaccine after what happened to my brother.

You keep saying that you are pro vac but I have my doubts. Many of your posts are banging on about Glaxo and big pharma, government corruption and conspiracy. Pick a side and stick with it.

You have given no proof about the swine flu vac but I have provided a cdc study debunking links to narcolepsy. Let's see the science!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Just her wrote: »
    Personally I find it difficult to deny or reject a parents opinion if they say that their child was adversely affected by a vaccine.

You do find that difficult, and on what basis do you accept their medical opinion? Because they are qualified vaccine researchers? Because they are qualified medical doctors? Because they are qualified nurses? Because they are qualified paramedics? Because they are qualified care assistants? Because they are just people?

Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2018/08/23/why-polio-remains-surprisingly-hard-to-eradicate/
    Rumors that the polio vaccine causes sterility in children circulate not just in Pakistan but also in many parts of Africa.

Polio is scary. Even if you recover from it you could get a relapse that cripples or kills you decades later.

Since there are no truly effective cheap anti-virals for most diseases we should consider bringing back sanatoriums, and have them funded solely by people who refuse to vaccinate. The health risks are a financial burden that the rest of us shouldn't have to cover for these parasites.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2018/08/23/why-polio-remains-surprisingly-hard-to-eradicate/
    Rumors that the polio vaccine causes sterility in children circulate not just in Pakistan but also in many parts of Africa.

Polio is scary. Even if you recover from it you could get a relapse that cripples or kills you decades later.

Since there are no truly effective cheap anti-virals for most diseases we should consider bringing back sanatoriums, and have them funded solely by people who refuse to vaccinate. The health risks are a financial burden that the rest of us shouldn't have to cover for these parasites.
    There's an excellent Hidden World episode about vaccines in Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

link please?

Igotadose wrote: »

link please?
    Here you go.
    https://youtu.be/-nblLTon4kQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

You keep saying that you are pro vac but I have my doubts. Many of your posts are banging on about Glaxo and big pharma, government corruption and conspiracy. Pick a side and stick with it.

You have given no proof about the swine flu vac but I have provided a cdc study debunking links to narcolepsy. Let's see the science!!!

I'll say it again. I am all for vaccines. When I have children of my own, they will be fully vaccinated. I don't know what else to say to dispel your doubts. My sister received the HPV vaccine last year!

I have never used "big pharma" in any of my posts. Nor have I ever talked about a conspiracy! I presume you are trying to paint me as some sort of quack pot so I won't be taken seriously.

As I have said already, that study you linked to is for a different vaccine. It has about as much relevance to the Pandemrix vaccine as it does to proving that our president has a third nipple. THIS is also written by the CDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...proving that our president has a third nipple.

Huge if true.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Huge if true.

I think its a normal size nipple!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think its a normal size nipple!

Just looks huge on Michael D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Someone read chapter 1 of their LC biology book. I think you'll find that the scientific method isn't all its cracked up to be and is in fact a form of scientific fascism.

Found KenM

I'll say it again. I am all for vaccines. When I have children of my own, they will be fully vaccinated. I don't know what else to say to dispel your doubts. My sister received the HPV vaccine last year!

I have never used "big pharma" in any of my posts. Nor have I ever talked about a conspiracy! I presume you are trying to paint me as some sort of quack pot so I won't be taken seriously.

As I have said already, that study you linked to is for a different vaccine. It has about as much relevance to the Pandemrix vaccine as it does to proving that our president has a third nipple. THIS is also written by the CDC.

I take it you are seeking compo? This country would be broke very quickly if everyone thought like you. As I've said before I would much rather our taxes be spent fighting these vaccine compensation claims rather than bending over and paying out! Rotten behaviour in my opinion! I know this is what the majority think but are just to afraid to say it in case they offend. I'm direct though and if someone get offended that is not my problem!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I have a teaching colleague (who works in a different school to me), who I met yesterday for coffee. She told me about a new student in her school. She wasn’t vaccinated - she was born outside of Ireland and didn’t have a vaccination schedule in her home country. When they moved to Ireland, they didn’t get the vaccine. Not from an anti-vax perspective, it just got put on the long finger.

Anywho. The student contracted measles. It was a bad case, and it resulted in the development of meningitis. The infection quickly spread. Her organs shut down. She ended up losing her two feet and three fingers off one hand and will be in a wheelchair for life. She also has hearing damage. Thirteen years of age.

Vaccinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Texas: right wing, lots of self-righteous stupid throughout the state. Way too many firearms in the hands of the unqualified.

But, even in Texas, where everyone's darling Andrew Wakefield has set up shop, they do the right thing when an anti-vax crank does the wrong thing: firing a stupid nurse who wrote about a patient's measles on an anti-vax site:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-nurse-investigation-posting-patients-measles-anti-vaccination/story?id=57443736

NB: note the 'nonvaxxer' designation among this gaggle of cranks. Got to keep an ear open for that and call it what it is - crankery endangering everyone's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was recommended not to get the BCG for my soon-to-be-born child the other day, on the basis that 'only prostitutes get that disease', which would be TB.

A friend of my family contracted TB about 15 years ago. They spent months in hospital and nearly died. As I informed the colleague: Baby will be getting all the vaccines, thank you very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

kylith wrote: »
    I was recommended not to get the BCG for my soon-to-be-born child the other day, on the basis that 'only prostitutes get that disease', which would be TB.

A friend of my family contracted TB about 15 years ago. They spent months in hospital and nearly died. As I informed the colleague: Baby will be getting all the vaccines, thank you very much.

TB's treatment regimen is probably up there with some cancer chemos.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

TB's treatment regimen is probably up there with some cancer chemos.

Weird fact, the Southern Health board didn't offer the BCG vaccine for decades when the rest of the country received.(haven't found a reason for it) So there's a load of people from that side of country that never got vaccine....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

BCG for tb hasn't been given for years in Ireland. Would the person have been talking about the Hep B vaccine?

I take it you are seeking compo? This country would be broke very quickly if everyone thought like you. As I've said before I would much rather our taxes be spent fighting these vaccine compensation claims rather than bending over and paying out! Rotten behaviour in my opinion! I know this is what the majority think but are just to afraid to say it in case they offend. I'm direct though and if someone get offended that is not my problem!

No, I'm not seeking "compo". My parents are seeking compensation for my brother though, which he will get. It's just a matter of when. The test case is expected to be settled late next year or 2020 which would mean it has dragged on for a decade.

I like the way you mention "our taxes". Are you paying a lot of taxes on disability?

As for the majority agreeing with your opinion, I highly doubt it. If that was the case you would have a flood of thanks on your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The BCG isn't part of the schedule any more.

No, I'm not seeking "compo". My parents are seeking compensation for my brother though, which he will get. It's just a matter of when. The test case is expected to be settled late next year or 2020 which would mean it has dragged on for a decade.

I like the way you mention "our taxes". Are you paying a lot of taxes on disability?

As for the majority agreeing with your opinion, I highly doubt it. If that was the case you would have a flood of thanks on your posts!

Hopefully that case will be a win for the state. I'm sure the majority agree with me. Unfortunately the majority are spineless. Don't see your posts getting any thanks either. That's because nobody believes that vaccine damage shyte

lazygal wrote: »
    The BCG isn't part of the schedule any more.
    I didn’t know that. Nevertheless, if it were offered I’d go for it. ‘All the inoculations, please Doctor!’

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn’t know that. Nevertheless, if it were offered I’d go for it. ‘All the inoculations, please Doctor!’

Get the chicken pox one done. You've to pay but totally worth it.

lazygal wrote: »
    Get the chicken pox one done. You've to pay but totally worth it.
    I will be. I was the only one in my family to be given it.

I'll be getting the whooping cough one myself in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

319 cases of TB in 2016. Public health data for aggressively prejudiced idiocy not generally available.

Wasn't aware of the availability issue. Very concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

alaimacerc wrote: »
    319 cases of TB in 2016. Public health data for aggressively prejudiced idiocy not generally available.

Wasn't aware of the availability issue. Very concerning.

Ah now hold on a second. Some vaccines have substantial side effects. If they're not indicated you probably shouldn't be pushing to take them, you should listen to the medical advice.

The anti-vaxxers movement is about people who won't take any vaccines ever. Not being in favour of a particular vaccine is completely unassociated with the anti-vaxxers and I think you should listen to the medical, professional advice in that instance which is there is no need to get the BCG vaccine. BCG vaccine isn't indicated at present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement