Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

How does not having the HPV Vaccine pose a risk to people who have had it?

Not everyone is able to have vaccines even if they want to. It's those that would be at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

How does not having the HPV Vaccine pose a risk to people who have had it?

Some people cannot have vaccines, some people just do not develop immunity,. These people depend on herd immunity which requires very high take up of the vaccination..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not everyone is able to have vaccines even if they want to. It's those that would be at risk.

I think the lead on from there is, what's the difference between someone who abstains and someone who can't be vaccinated. The concept of herd vaccination should be acceptable for someone who abstains.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think the lead on from there is, what's the difference between someone who abstains and someone who can't be vaccinated. The concept of herd vaccination should be acceptable for someone who abstains.

You need about 95% coverage to achieve herd immunity whereupon the disease can no longer spread and goes into decline.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You need about 95% coverage to achieve herd immunity whereupon the disease can no longer spread and goes into decline.

Fair enough. I'm not denying the effectiveness of vaccines. I'm just proposing that as a defense for those who abstain. The don't see the distinction in why some don't vaccinate, just that they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Fair enough. I'm not denying the effectiveness of vaccines. I'm just proposing that as a defense for those who abstain. The don't see the distinction in why some don't vaccinate, just that they don't.

You just don't understand herd immunity. Simples.

You just don't understand herd immunity. Simples.

What are you on about? I was indicating Anti-Vaxxers potential arrogance. Go back to compare the meerkat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thing is, if too many abstain then vaccine uptake dips below 95% increasing the chance for pathogens, especially RNA-based viruses like Measle to mutates so that the protection resulting from vaccination becomes worthless. A portion of the population can't be vaccinated for various reasons which is where the 95% figure comes from.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

herd immunity depends on a very high uptake of the vaccine. (mid to high 90% depending on pathogen). There is a small but significant group who cannot be vaccinated or who will not develop immunity despite vaccination. This is outside their control.

However if people start to decide "well I will be covered by herd immunity" then you do not achieve a high enough take up and you never develop herd immunity.

If you develop herd immunity then after a while there is no longer a need to immunize anyone as the disease is wiped out (Smallpox)

The frustrating part is we were so close to wiping out a number of diseases until this anti vax bull became an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thing is, if too many abstain then vaccine uptake dips below 95% increasing the chance for pathogens, especially RNA-based viruses like Measle to mutates so that the protection resulting from vaccination becomes worthless. A portion of the population can't be vaccinated for various reasons which is where the 95% figure comes from.

You only have to look at the measles outbreak that occurred last year......40 cases, 19 hospitalisations......and 20% of those who suffered were infants to young to be immunised.....that's why we need herd immunity, to protect those who are vulnerable rather than those who choose to freeload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What do you think happens when 50% of people don't get vaccinated because they think herd immunity will protect them? Below a certain % of immunisation there is no herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

jester77 wrote: »
    These people are dangerous.

Some countries are making it compulsory for children to be vaccinated before they are allowed in daycare or school. Every country should start making this a law to eliminate these nut cases.

Definitely. Certain celebrities like Jim Carrey are on the anti-vaxxer train and are vocal about it, which doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

kylith wrote: »
    What do you think happens when 50% of people don't get vaccinated because they think herd immunity will protect them? Below a certain % of immunisation there is no herd immunity.

50% is already about 40% too low for herd immunity to work, once it drops below 90% there is potential for a cascade of infections that can even then infect vaccinated people as no vaccine is 100% effective, its again only the amount of people vaccinated around you that is the real protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

danmanw8 wrote: »
    Definitely. Certain celebrities like Jim Carrey are on the anti-vaxxer train and are vocal about it, which doesn't help

Expect a massive rise in the numbers of parents who will simply choose to home-school their children if they are expected to have to vaccinate their children as a condition of allowing access to education -

California home school interest surges as parents choose to sidestep vaccination law

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Robert de Niro is also an anti-vaxxer

Expect a massive rise in the numbers of parents who will simply choose to home-school their children if they are expected to have to vaccinate their children as a condition of allowing access to education -

California home school interest surges as parents choose to sidestep vaccination law

Good, if they choose to put others at risk then they shouldn't have access to state education or benefits.

Its a disgustingly selfish and irresponsible action to take

Lots of Americans already home school their children. It's not really a European thing at all. I'd say the enthusiasm of any anti-vaxxers on this side of the pond will dissipate sharpish once they realise that work will be involved.

H. H. Asquith

VinLieger wrote: »
    Good, if they choose to put others at risk then they shouldn't have access to state education or benefits.

Its a disgustingly selfish and irresponsible action to take

Well of course while it's true that they shouldn't have access to state education and benefits... actually that's an interesting one, I hadn't thought that the parents could be denied child benefit, medical cards, jobseekers or disability allowance, etc, in this country anyway, but it appears to be more affluent, already well-educated parents seem to be shunning vaccinations in favour of an alternative parenting lifestyle anyway...

I digress, what I meant to say is that it still doesn't provide any solution to the issue of parents who choose not to vaccinate their children making the idea of herd immunity as was pointed out previously - effectively useless. These children will still mix and mingle in public, in neighbourhoods with other children, and will still be vulnerable themselves.

That's something that will have to be addressed by Government and the HSE, so from that point of view, no, it's not good at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Unfortunately it's because of such morons that the likes of measles hasn't been entirely eradicated. The US were far closer to eradication of it than Europe would be but it's been making a return in the last few years. It's rather bleak that ignorance is what's preventing illnesses from being eradicated at this stage.

Anti vaccination ideology is terrifying. Not the arguments of the individuals, but the fact they exist in such committed form in a fair number.

• Advertisement

Anti vaccination ideology is terrifying. Not the arguments of the individuals, but the fact they exist in such committed form in a fair number.

I find that the arguments consist of some combination of stupidity, narcissism and ignorance. The fact that they're meeting with support instead of ridicule is worrying.

H. H. Asquith

Lots of Americans already home school their children. It's not really a European thing at all. I'd say the enthusiasm of any anti-vaxxers on this side of the pond will dissipate sharpish once they realise that work will be involved.

It's fast becoming a trend here too though, like proportionately speaking in comparison to the numbers of children in public education and home schooled in the US, Ireland really wouldn't be that far behind in comparative terms. I can't find exact figures now but the last time I looked I was pretty shocked. It's not entirely related to being anti-vax either, but more so that they feel the public school system isn't something they want for their children either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

There are 700 girls going to court also Japan and Korea have 1000's who's life have been ruined by hpv vaccine. How many people have to be damaged before people believe that this risk is real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

gar32 wrote: »
    There are 700 girls going to court also Japan and Korea have 1000's who's life have been ruined by hpv vaccine. How many people have to be damaged before people believe that this risk is real?

And where is the evidence their health conditions were caused by the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

None. A causative link has to be established. What you're talking about is correlation.

Although, I suspect that this has been pointed out to you before and you won't have paid a blind bit of notice...

:rolleyes:

I find that the arguments consist of some combination of stupidity, narcissism and ignorance. The fact that they're meeting with support instead of ridicule is worrying.
    It's the post modern intellectual malaise. Simply having an opinion renders that opinion worthy of consideration. And all of a sudden, we're stuck with 'the other side of the argument', as if that 'other side' carried as much weight.

It's just another slice of the intelligent design/fluoride is bad/whateveryourhavingyourself stupidity pie.

branie2 wrote: »
    Robert de Niro is also an anti-vaxxer
    So? He's a grownup who dresses up and plays make believe for a living.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

There's been a particular problem of spurious claims going unchallenged in Japan. They have a very poor record of cervical cancer prevention for such a rich country. The Japanese medical establishment had been particularly passive in the face of misinformation from anti vaxxers.

but it appears to be more affluent, already well-educated parents seem to be shunning vaccinations in favour of an alternative parenting lifestyle anyway...

What an odd albeit atypical for you chip on shoulder claim to make.

Do you have an iota of evidence to back it up?

• Advertisement

Correlation is not the same as causation, there is zero statistical increase of the issues these people are sufferring from as compared to before the vaccine was cisculated. It just so happens that many of these issues reported typically surface at the age the vaccine is administered and its unfortunate that they were going to fall ill with them regardless of the vaccine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement