Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting my Japanese studios, and general remembrance mixed-up, but what turned things around for Capcom? I could have sworn their reputation was mud a few years back yet now seem to be knocking out hit after hit, critical or otherwise? Or indeed is it just the RE series that's building their kudos?

I'm a big Resi fan, so I can really only speak for how they turned that series around, but I would imagine it broadly applies to a lot of their output during this timeframe.

Basically after they released RE4 and it became one of the most influential games of that decade, they seemed to take on a heavy western influence, both in their own game design and their outsourcing. As retro mentioned they started messing around with MTX, but also really exploitative DLC practices (such as paying to unlock items already on the disc). This got worse after RE5 released and sold more than any RE before it. They obviously hit rock bottom with RE6, which was basically every then-current trendy gaming feature and cliché thrown at the wall to see what would stick. They had gotten to the point where they were making a poor amalgamation of all the games that they inspired with RE4 in the first place.

RE6 still sold well but the fan reaction was poison, since then the series has been going from strength to strength as they actually started giving the fans what they had been asking for for almost a decade. RE3 might have been a bit of a misstep but it was still a quality game. RE8 looks like it could be the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ace Combat 7 and World War Z added to PS Now. Now looks to be getting to compete with gamepass finally although will NEVER get to that point as Don't know it doesn't have to. Good month though.

All, this means good chance both will show up on ps plus soon.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1366420335453732864?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ace Combat 7 is excellent.

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Post reported. Poor Jordan got his account hacked by Retro.

Gave Metro Exodus a go, much better 1st impression than 2033 but after getting to the first open area, i got really bored of awkwardly stealthing until getting caught (mostly from boredom of sneaking) and blasting fire til i die and repeat. I don't like pure shooters either like Doom and i usually like Stealth mechanics in games so i think I'm just gonna stop and sell. Great graphics, story, setting but i can't get into it and really not pushed on giving it much of a go. I keep humming and hawing (sp) about having to wait for a companion to finish talking or catch up. I think it's confirmed that i no longer care about FPS's.

For now, I'm gonna play Night in The Woods and also downloading Warzone to give that another go for some mindless online fun/rage. Also have Concrete Genie and SWJ: Fallen Order to get to as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another convert to acecombatology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

I have an XBox Series X and Gamepass and Ace Combat 7. Is my life now complete ? Is this a dip into/out of game or ???

YoshiSays wrote: »
    I have an XBox Series X and Gamepass and Ace Combat 7. Is my life now complete ? Is this a dip into/out of game or ???
    Ace Combat will make you completely complete. A full 360 degrees complete.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's like having your neck nibbled by an angel.

An angel that can hit over 2000 km/hour and can carry 96 sidewinders in it's tardis like undercarriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since you mention the tardis, I can only assume you mean a weeping angel whose touch can kill you?

• Advertisement

I'm loving Ace Combat 7 already and I haven't even played it!
    It's the best game ever.

I'm loving Ace Combat 7 already and I haven't even played it!
    It's the best game ever.

emperor-palpatine-1555323736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    emperor-palpatine-1555323736.jpg

You need to get some sun Retro.

I think I'm going to give up all other video games, work, family, alcohol, cocaine, corona virus news, holidays and boards.ie so that I'll have more time to focus on Ace Combat 7. It's just so good.

Another convert to acecombatology.
    I'm happy I converted over last winter.

Ace Combat 7 > Days Gone and Subnautica, combined! *runs*

I'm happy I converted over last winter.

Ace Combat 7 > Days Gone and Subnautica, combined! *runs*

giphy.webp

Ah Subnautica is pretty great.

Days Gone.... It's grand. It's the most middle of the road, designed by committee, let's play it safe triple A game outside of a Ubisoft annual update. It's also not Ace Combat.

Downloaded Subnautica tonight so I'll get cracking at it very soon. Great to see it on the excellent Xbox Game Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Lockdown has gotten me back into playing games. Played one called soma interesting game but the dam ending has me ruined. I don’t no how I didn’t see it coming. Questing some choices I made in the game. Like yes just a game and now I’m questioning the nature of existence

Soma is an incredible piece of hard sci Fi. The ending is so good.

• Advertisement

Soma is an incredible piece of hard sci Fi. The ending is so good.

I only played the start of that but remember getting a new don't game and switched to it, never going back. I really need to give it another go hearing so much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not a big fan of Soma and Amnesia type games, not that they're bad I'm just a wimp. I even delayed playing Dead Space for years which turned out to be one of my favourite series. Dead Space is one thing with your array of guns and equipment, it's an entirely different matter walking around a creepy environment with a only a chisel or lamp in your hand. Outlast can go fup off as well now I think of it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I only played the start of that but remember getting a new don't game and switched to it, never going back. I really need to give it another go hearing so much about it.

I'd highly recommend you do. It's got some really great narrative ideas and the ending is so worth it. It's pretty short as well.

I also love its approach to binary choices it gives the player. Each one is a very morally grey area but whatever you choose has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game or story. No morality meter, no paragon/renegade bull****. All it does is make the player think about the choice that they have to make.
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Soma and Amnesia type games, not that they're bad I'm just a wimp. I even delayed playing Dead Space for years which turned out to be one of my favourite series. Dead Space is one thing with your array of guns and equipment, it's an entirely different matter walking around a creepy environment with a only a chisel or lamp in your hand. Outlast can go fup off as well now I think of it.

There's a few monsters in Soma but they are pretty uncommon. Very scary when they do show up but the game is seriously worth it. It's a much much better game that Dead Space will ever be. It's really more a walking simulator with a few horror moments than a horror game like Amnesia.

^ Amnesia. I don't remember playing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'm fairly certain Soma has been patched to add in a mode that made the enemies non lethal or something, and it can be played as a full on walking simulator now.

Yep there is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Ah, you really need that sense of danger from the enemies to make the game more immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Playing Fallout 1 for the first time. The leader at Shady Sands suggested I help the doctor find an antidote for Radscorpion stings. I spent the next 5 minutes looking for my Quest Log. Couldn’t find one. Googled it to find a lot of posts about the golden era from veteran (old/grumpy?) gamers: “it’s not a hand holding game”, “would u like an arrow telling you exactly where to go” etc “. I understand all that but surely a basic log would be fair? Even a log where the player makes their own notes and records key bits of info from conversations? I think that’d be a good idea actually. Did the developers expect the player to memorise all their side quests even after they stopped playing for a day or 2?

Playing Fallout 1 for the first time. The leader at Shady Sands suggested I help the doctor find an antidote for Radscorpion stings. I spent the next 5 minutes looking for my Quest Log. Couldn’t find one. Googled it to find a lot of posts about the golden era from veteran (old/grumpy?) gamers: “it’s not a hand holding game”, “would u like an arrow telling you exactly where to go” etc “. I understand all that but surely a basic log would be fair? Even a log where the player makes their own notes and records key bits of info from conversations? I think that’d be a good idea actually. Did the developers expect the player to memorise all their side quests even after they stopped playing for a day or 2?

It's call and pen and a A4 notepad. Git gud.... physical? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's call and pen and a A4 notepad. Git gud.... physical? :confused:

That reminds me of some games cannot remember which ones where you have to remember a sequence played out in front of you and you have to repeat it and they can be a long sequence at times so I would scribble down the sequence and then get it right when I enter it.

Advertisement