Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Got Metro Redux for 8 quid and Metro Exodus for a straight swap from cex. Arrived today and middle of chapter 2 on 2033 and I'm so bored already. I think I'm completely gone off FPS games. It doesn't help the game looks old as dirt and doesn't control the best. I can get 6 quid back from cex so no big loss but will try Exodus first to see if i like that.

I suppose it doesn't help coming from Subnautica which has become one of my favourite games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't have a Twitter account, this just came onto my lap via cultural osmosis, thought I'd share the idiocy. I generally do a good job cos YouTube doesn't try to recommend any of the 50 billion Fortnite channels either.

I get ya, same here really - I have a twit acc but never actually use it, but I get mounds of crap from twitter on my home feed - maybe it's time to kiss it goodbye! [but then I'll feel I'm missing something!]

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Got Metro Redux for 8 quid and Metro Exodus for a straight swap from cex. Arrived today and middle of chapter 2 on 2033 and I'm so bored already. I think I'm completely gone off FPS games. It doesn't help the game looks old as dirt and doesn't control the best. I can get 6 quid back from cex so no big loss but will try Exodus first to see if i like that.

I suppose it doesn't help coming from Subnautica which has become one of my favourite games of all time.

Exodus is at least a lot prettier, I gave up on that one too [free on XBGP at least] it was the first game to really test my new PC last year. It ran nice, and it is a looker of a game, and the story isn't terrible. I also love trains and snow, if you do too, you'll like it maybe.

On Subnautica, that is some high praise right there! I haven't played it since 2018 but Steam tells me I have 40hrs clocked in, I do remember going deeeeeep and having some nice bases with plants/crops growing and lockers etc, I had that big sub that could take you anywhere. I was playing on a laptop that could bare handle it at the time [well, it wasn't terrible or I wouldn't have played it so much] , I really should re-d/l, but I'm certain I'll be completely lost with controls, where I'm at etc

End game of Subnautica is so good. Finished with a total time of 33 hours but i played on freedom (can't die of hunger/thirst) so didn't have to spend time hunting down food. The game ran like feck though. Awful pop in and got far worse in endgame with lots of bugs at 1400m. Absolutely loved it as a whole though.

And speaking of, Subnautica Below Zero got it's release day today, 14th May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Subnautica ... Any mods/hacks to get this running better on new consoles ? Came across a Reddit link ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/jrxv0s/subnautica_performance_on_xbox_series_x_recorded/

But not sure ...

Want to give this a go, but with best performance if possible ...

• Advertisement

End game of Subnautica is so good. Finished with a total time of 33 hours but i played on freedom (can't die of hunger/thirst) so didn't have to spend time hunting down food. The game ran like feck though. Awful pop in and got far worse in endgame with lots of bugs at 1400m. Absolutely loved it as a whole though.

And speaking of, Subnautica Below Zero got it's release day today, 14th May.

I think I was close, I had been to a certain Island, stocked up well, had the big sub and had explored deep
    Got through the sunken space craft and the 'Alien' facility, sorted all puzzles, last I remember I was way way down and had built a base down there, like you I had what seemed like endless supplies on board
    I stopped because my laptop actually packed in, managed to get it back to run basics but not games. Too long had passed for some games at that point I feel. Maybe I'll just look up the ending :P I did like the game more at start than towards end though I remember

I think I was close, I had been to a certain Island, stocked up well, had the big sub and had explored deep
    Got through the sunken space craft and the 'Alien' facility, sorted all puzzles, last I remember I was way way down and had built a base down there, like you I had what seemed like endless supplies on board
    I stopped because my laptop actually packed in, managed to get it back to run basics but not games. Too long had passed for some games at that point I feel. Maybe I'll just look up the ending :P I did like the game more at start than towards end though I remember

I was the opposite, stopped playing after 30 minutes as i couldn't make a repair tool and couldn't find any points of interest. Went back to it and it just clicked, liked it more and more as it went on. As for story progress ,
    you go to 1 Allen facility at 1200m which leads you to a final one at 1400m before returning to the surface to finish the story.
    Hugely satisfying ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It took me a few goes to get into it. But it does click after a while, and ends up being great. It's not a typical FPS.

But it is an old game in the middle of the time when games wanted to be cinematic, so it can be hard to go back and deal with the old controls and overloaded cut scenes. .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wreckfest is great fun, especially the demolition derby.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Wreckfest is great fun, especially the demolition derby.

Gonna give it a better go later, only did a couple races in the bangers they offer you at start but liked the driving, collisions feel satisfying as they should in a game like this :)

Did you try Dirt 5?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

YoshiSays wrote: »
    That new GnG is disappointing to me. I look at Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Ori games, Rayman Legends ... and I see no progress with the GnG games. GnG and Super Mario came out in the same year ... and look where Mario is these days. BUT it does have varying difficulty levels in it and with a sale, it'd be a decent enough purchase. Really, Capcom needs to do more with GnG, they are throwing away a huge opportunity on a great concept. Maybe they should just sell Arthur & Co to Nintendo.

And.... I'm disappointed as well. The issue is as I feared it's like ultimate gng. It throws too much **** at the player and it's just unfair meaning the two hit system which should be default is no fun at all. I'll try it with multi hit but I'm afraid it's kind of missed the mark on why the originals are so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And.... I'm disappointed as well. The issue is as I feared it's like ultimate gng. It throws too much **** at the player and it's just unfair meaning the two hit system which should be default is no fun at all. I'll try it with multi hit but I'm afraid it's kind of missed the mark on why the originals are so good.

Yeah, think they are trying to sell it based on nostalgia and it being hard. But it needs to be fair too. And that takes good design, tuning and programming. Also, I don't see much variety between levels. And it seems lifeless to me. I don't have the time to sink time into average games.

Rayman Legends and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are just bursting with life, energy, fun, challenge, variety, toe tapping tunes, brilliant bosses, secrets... I never got into the original Donkey Kong Rare games, but TF is a masterclass of 2D platforming. I gave up for a while it got so hard (for me), but went back and completed the main game. Rayman Legends is equally genius and even more imaginative. So, lots of life in ressurecting 2D platformers.

I would think the teams that created these could have given us an astounding GNG. I am hoping we get some new AAA 2D platform games soon ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Yeah, think they are trying to sell it based on nostalgia and it being hard. But it needs to be fair too. And that takes good design, tuning and programming. Also, I don't see much variety between levels. And it seems lifeless to me. I don't have the time to sink time into average games.

I think that sums it up. The originals are tough but always fair, there's always a way out of every situation and deaths are your own fault. This on the other hand replaces great game design with bull**** respawning enemies. This just reminds me of the PSP game were it is only playable in the mode where you can take multiple hits as you need it to account for the bull****.

Gonna give it a better go later, only did a couple races in the bangers they offer you at start but liked the driving, collisions feel satisfying as they should in a game like this :)

Did you try Dirt 5?

I didn't try Dirt 5 yet because Wreckfest has me hooked. I just love the smashing, bashing and crashing.

What games are people looking forward to over the next few months to stay sane during lockdown? My current list:

Disco Elysium - march
    Resident Evil Village - May 7th
    Mass effect remaster - May 14th
    Subnautica: Below Zero - May 14th
    Back 4 Blood - June 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What games are people looking forward to over the next few months to stay sane during lockdown? My current list:

Disco Elysium - march
    Back 4 Blood - June 18th

Not much for me but am knee deep in Valhalla with Miles Morales, Crash 4 to finish and Cyberpunk (when it's worth playing) to play outside of my standard backlog!

That said, am really looking forward to Deathloop and Disco Elysium as well as the Crash PS5 upgrade and Oddworld (bit of free fun). Was hoping for a release date in H1 for Lego Skywalker Saga but that seems to have fallen off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

What games are people looking forward to over the next few months to stay sane during lockdown?

RE Village, Returnal, Deathloop, Back 4 Blood, Evil Genius 2, and Elden Ring. Yeah. You heard me.

What games are people looking forward to over the next few months to stay sane during lockdown?
    So far: Resident Evil Village and Flight Simulator 2020. Both going on a Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Evil Genius 2, Binding of Isaac expansion, possibly New Pokemon Snap.

Triple jumping in 3D mario games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Disco Elysium - march
    Back 4 Blood - June 18th

Currently replaying Hitman series as i bought Hitman 3 only just started it after playing back through the first 2 such an underrated series imo one of my favorite games.

Kingdom Hearts on PC i played the first two back in the day so going to playthrough them all on PC when it comes out, cant wait.

Evil Genius 2

Pokemon Snap and Outriders in April potentially will wait on reviews though.

Probably end up getting a few random indie titles on steam too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Next few months" Please God let it only be one more. My hair is like a hedge!

Anyway, there's been nothing new grabbing me in gaming for so long now. The Mass Effect trilogy is about all I'm looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Disco Elysium - march
    Back 4 Blood - June 18th
    Disco Elysium seems to be the only thing on the horizon that I'm interested in at the moment.
    I'm not sure if I'll like it as it doesn't really look like the type of game i've played before but it has so many positive reviews and the aesthetic looks great so I'm going to give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Disco Elysium seems to be the only thing on the horizon that I'm interested in at the moment.
    I'm not sure if I'll like it as it doesn't really look like the type of game i've played before but it has so many positive reviews and the aesthetic looks great so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Yea I am in the same boat, it is not the kind of game that I would normally play but everyone was mad for it so I am gonna give it a chance.

Also really looking forward to Village, have a feeling they are gonna nail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Markitron wrote: »
    Also really looking forward to Village, have a feeling they are gonna nail it.
    I'm too much of a wimp for horror games, but I'll probably watch it on stream or something though!

Looking forward to village as well. Capcom are on a roll at the moment putting out excellent games. And what I like most about them is they are all mechanically focused games that are just so much fun to play.

I'm too much of a wimp for horror games, but I'll probably watch it on stream or something though!

You could always give the demo for Resident Evil Village a try when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The Resi ones aren't as bad because you can at least fight back, I am not much of a fan of the ones that make you hide constantly - well except for Alien Isolation but even then you do have some combat/item options and hiding is completely useless in it.
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    You could always give the demo for Resident Evil Village a try when it's released.

RE7 on the PS Plus collection would likely give you a decent flavour of it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe I'm getting my Japanese studios, and general remembrance mixed-up, but what turned things around for Capcom? I could have sworn their reputation was mud a few years back yet now seem to be knocking out hit after hit, critical or otherwise? Or indeed is it just the RE series that's building their kudos?

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting my Japanese studios, and general remembrance mixed-up, but what turned things around for Capcom? I could have sworn their reputation was mud a few years back yet now seem to be knocking out hit after hit, critical or otherwise? Or indeed is it just the RE series that's building their kudos?

They've always been making consistently great games with the odd hiccup like Resident Evil 6. Their reputation has been up and down, embracing microtransactions, cancelling Megaman Legends 3 (actually this one is unforgivable), Street Fighter 5 being a mess and then making western focused games instead of embracing the crazy japanese side people loved about their games. They ruined a few games licensing them out to dodgy western studios, Lost Planet 3 killed the franchise and DMC was almost good but was a bit **** despite what the fans of the game will tell you.

Their releases recently have been really good, Devil May cry 5, Monster Hunter and Resi have been triumphs. Megaman 11 was great and the collections good as well. The only disappointment for me was GnG resurrection.

Advertisement