Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just don’t believe Retr0 when he says he can 1cc it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Timed exclusive.
    Has that been confirmed yet or is it just from the Capcom leak awhile back?

If so, then I'll be all over it once it comes to the PC. Still not mad about the art style but it's a minor complaint given we're finally getting a new entry in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just don’t believe Retr0 when he says he can 1cc it :p

I look forward to the no hit speedrun only playing with their left foot videos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

*stands up*

I suck at "hard" games (insofar as we mean games who gameplay loop factors in intentional difficulty spikes), have no desire to Git Gud as a philosophy of gaming, so G&G is nowhere near my playlist. Hollow Knight was my own exception to the rule and it nearly broke me.

I'm pixelburp and I'm a Bad Gamer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

pixelburp wrote: »
    *stands up*

I suck at "hard" games (insofar as we mean games who gameplay loop factors in intentional difficulty spikes), have no desire to Git Gud as a philosophy of gaming, so G&G is nowhere near my playlist. Hollow Knight was my own exception to the rule and it nearly broke me.

I'm more or less the same, I can appreciate the design of a difficult game but I just don't have the skill required to enjoy them. I wouldn't have been able to get through the souls games if it wasn't for level grinding and co op. This is why I had to drop Sekiro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Iguarantee

Markitron wrote: »
    Definitely coming, question is, will we get a united Ireland first?

I give it a 50/50 chance myself.

Who cares about a united Ireland in comparison to fantastical adventures in a magical land of dragons, ogres, thievery and sleeping in other peoples houses!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    Has that been confirmed yet or is it just from the Capcom leak awhile back?

If so, then I'll be all over it once it comes to the PC. Still not mad about the art style but it's a minor complaint given we're finally getting a new entry in the series.

It's Capcom. If they can make money from it it's not an exclusive
    *stands up*

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm more or less the same, I can appreciate the design of a difficult game but I just don't have the skill required to enjoy them. I wouldn't have been able to get through the souls games if it wasn't for level grinding and co op. This is why I had to drop Sekiro.

544823.jpg

Bunch'ah slackjawed casual gamers around here. Ghouls n'Ghosts will turn you into a gaming Tyrannosaurus. Just like me.

544823.jpg

Bunch'ah slackjawed casual gamers around here. Ghouls n'Ghosts will turn you into a gaming Tyrannosaurus. Just like me.

You call me a casual gamer one more time and I'll bleed you, real quiet, leave you here.

Got that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You have to take a different approach to old school difficulty that I think a lot of younger people just aren't used to. And I don't mean like Dark Souls or Hollow Knight, those games are actually very modern takes of difficulty and death.

These types of games are actually really short and can be beaten pretty quickly if you persevere. DF retro did a recent video about NES games and they were talking about how hard Batman Return of the Joker is but John also said it took him 3 hours in one evening to beat it. People used to 40+ hour games barely challenging them are likely to totally bounce off a game that slam dunks them with difficulty from the get go. And they would be right to do so if it was a 40+ hour game but since they are short if you stick with them you will get better and overcome them. It's worth experimenting with something like supposedly legendary hard games like Contra, stick with them and beat them in an afternoon.

Saying that GnG games are on another level of difficulty. Super GnG is the most fair of them and even that is brutal. They are totally fair games but they aren't something you can beat in an afternoon of going in blind. Getting good enough to one credit Ghouls n'Ghosts took months and I've totally lost it now which means I have to put up with Johnny Ultimate constantly teasing me about it.

One of my favourite GnG memories was in Hey arcade in Akihabara. I was playing GnG and they had it set to the highest dipswitch setting which is ridiculous. All weapons other than the fire and sword weapons (which are utterly useless) drop incredibly rarely until stage 3 (the best tactic is to pick up the rapid fire daggers as soon as possible). I was doing really well. Got to stage 4 and even had a japanese guy standing over my shoulder watching me play...

Except he wasn't. He was waiting for the stupid Gaijin to die and get off the machine so he could one credit it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

*stands up*

I'm Penn and I'm a Gud Gamer. And Cuphead can go f*ck itself.

• Advertisement

I'll defend Cuphead with my dying breath as the best Contra clone in years and the closest we have gotten to a proper treasure games since Bangai-O Missile Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Strap this on your sore ass, Retro;

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Strap this on your sore ass, Retro;

Oh man, Hope John Linneman is doing that review. I'll be watching that when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Republic Commando is coming to PS4 and Switch

https://youtu.be/MTi1KSZt5Jw

Definitely getting GnG a go after that review. I'll trust John as it was him that convinced me to take a chance on Ace Combat 7.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Republic Commando is coming to PS4 and Switch

https://youtu.be/MTi1KSZt5Jw

I haven't played that game since 2005, will def give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

That new GnG is disappointing to me. I look at Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Ori games, Rayman Legends ... and I see no progress with the GnG games. GnG and Super Mario came out in the same year ... and look where Mario is these days. BUT it does have varying difficulty levels in it and with a sale, it'd be a decent enough purchase. Really, Capcom needs to do more with GnG, they are throwing away a huge opportunity on a great concept. Maybe they should just sell Arthur & Co to Nintendo.

YoshiSays wrote: »
    That new GnG is disappointing to me. I look at Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Ori games, Rayman Legends ... and I see no progress with the GnG games. GnG and Super Mario came out in the same year ... and look where Mario is these days. BUT it does have varying difficulty levels in it and with a sale, it'd be a decent enough purchase. Really, Capcom needs to do more with GnG, they are throwing away a huge opportunity on a great concept. Maybe they should just sell Arthur & Co to Nintendo.

I don't know what else they could do though. I enjoyed the two maximo games at release but they didn't really feel like GnG.

GnG is just too routed in it's control scheme. It's all about Fujiwara's classic design principles that you see everywhere in Capcom game design. Any action you take you have to commit to it. It's actually brilliant game design but people are more used to platform games were you have full control in the air. Modernising GnG would lose the games essence. I'm kind of happy with this approach they are taking, it's like Megaman 11. It just proves that this game design is still good and it offers gameplay that modern games aren't offering.

(Then again I've not played it and I could be hugely dissappointed like I was with Ultimate GnG).

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Iguarantee

You have to take a different approach to old school difficulty that I think a lot of younger people just aren't used to.

Megaman on the GameBoy comes to mind!

The original megaman on the gameboy has its own issues where the sprites are too big and it's just no fun. The later gameboy games are great especially megaman V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I see Ryu and Chun Li joined Fortnite a few days ago. Today, I see Ripley and the Xenomorph are joining it too.

That game is like the pop culture smorgasbord of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

J. Marston wrote: »
    I see Ryu and Chun Li joined Fortnite a few days ago. Today, I see Ripley and the Xenomorph are joining it too.

It's more "let's throw sh1t at the wall and see what sticks"

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

J. Marston wrote: »

the funko pop of gaming

Sieghardt wrote: »
    the funko pop of gaming

I would have said the Ready Player One of gaming but that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    2 games I've been interested in just went on sale on psn, both 12 euro. Night in the Woods and Stranded Deep.

Think I'll most likely get Night in the Woods anyway, sounds really interesting.

Stranded Deep though, anyone play this? I'm on the tail end of Subnautica which is absolutely brilliant and i have a feeling stranded deep will be fairly bare bones in comparison?

The front cover of Night in the Woods remind me of the opening scenes in Watership Down for some reason.

image.png
    image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Dirt 5 is up on XBGP for PC for anyone looking for a bit of more Arcade type racing - Wreckfest is also on there now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Dirt 5 is up on XBGP for PC for anyone looking for a bit of more Arcade type racing - Wreckfest is also on there now

Great news. Will install both on one of my Xbox's later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every now and again I get exposed to Fortnite and I'm like ... huh. Thanks. I hate it.

https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/1365092195422855171

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Every now and again I get exposed to Fortnite and I'm like ... huh. Thanks. I hate it.

https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/1365092195422855171

Stop following silly people?

• Advertisement

Stop following silly people?

I don't have a Twitter account, this just came onto my lap via cultural osmosis, thought I'd share the idiocy. I generally do a good job cos YouTube doesn't try to recommend any of the 50 billion Fortnite channels either.

Advertisement