Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I enjoyed two souls.... But then I was playing it in coop, I was drunk and we were riffing on how bad it was

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Ah here, that Heavy Rain looks like a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I really enjoyed that robot one, I had to google the name so not sure what that says. Detroit become Human

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dohboy

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that robot one, I had to google the name so not sure what that says. Detroit become Human

I started Detroit Become Human recently but didn't finish it. It was enjoyable enough, but I wasn't compelled to return. I felt like I was watching a box set that I wasn't especially interested in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azza wrote: »
    Ah here, that Heavy Rain looks like a masterpiece.

Ok that made me laugh.

Fantastic accents and acting as well.

Show me you lep ris!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It does bare reminding it's not all that long ago since you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a game ruined with QTEs. For a while it seemed like a mechanic that'd never disappear (although it still crops up now and again).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Kojima made the game he wanted to make, and that's all there is to it.

I don't think there was all that much talk about it not been the game people wanted, the criticisms seem to be more commenting on the dull gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I often wonder how much good could've been put into the world with the budget of the average David Cage schlockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Greyfox wrote: »
    I don't think there was all that much talk about it not been the game people wanted, the criticisms seem to be more commenting on the dull gameplay.

Dull because people wanted an action packed open world with lots of bloated sidequests. Otherwise nobody knew what it was they wanted to see. The idea with Death Stranding is you have to play it for what it actually is. If you go around thinking "this is dull" constantly then obviously the game is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

pixelburp wrote: »
    Was there ever any leak or information revealed about what the DelToro / Kojima Silent Hill(s) was going to look like? IIRC we only ever got that teaser trailer with Norman Reedus right?
    There was also this concept trailer released in Japan. It looked insanse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

WB's patent on the Nemesis system was approved yesterday. Show's just how stupid American patent law is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,686 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kiith wrote: »
    WB's patent on the Nemesis system was approved yesterday. Show's just how stupid American patent law is.

****ing stupid approval!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭brady12

Ffs That's a joke

Means absolutely nothing until challenged in the courts which is something they will lose as how ever is getting sued will point to Capcom vs. Data East and the Fighters History lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,686 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reading twitter posts, i saw that apparently Namco patented the mechanic of minigames during loading screens. It expired a few years back but no need for it anymore. **** sake Namco!

Forgive my brain fog/naivety/general idiocy; but I'm assuming this means that no other game can adopt a system similar to/resembling a Nemesis system, lest WB takes them to court over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well that sucks, I think it'd translate terrifically to sports and especially racing games.

Forgive my brain fog/naivety/general idiocy; but I'm assuming this means that no other game can adopt a system similar to/resembling a Nemesis system, lest WB takes them to court over it?

It would if copyright didn't protect derivative works. Patenting the nemesis system is as stupid as Nintendo patenting the jump mechanic in mario. It's just WB's legal team giving themselves an excuse to exist and to keep charging WB.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It would if copyright didn't protect derivative works. Patenting the nemesis system is as stupid as Nintendo patenting the jump mechanic in mario. It's just WB's legal team giving themselves an excuse to exist and to keep charging WB.

Unwarranted, then. No need to be patenting that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe the purpose is less strict legal enforcement than a method to dissuade other studios from incurring the hassle of wasted hours in court. A sneaky strategy to stop others simply lifting the Nemesis system, cautious that being embroiled in a legal battle - however likely it was they might win it - would be damaging.

Nuisance lawsuits are a potted industry already in America. Legalised shakedowns because if it gets dragged through the courts, everyone loses. So easier to pay the claimants off ,give them what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

If Ubisoft wanted to patent the Eagle Jump from Assassin's Creed or the tower climbing>map revealing mechanic, they could. But they didn't. WB are clearly being really uppity about their Nemesis system. It's a great system, but it's an innovation that other companies should be allowed to implement in their own way. Too scared to be bested - that's my guess. Video games can't exist without other video games. That's just the way it is. WB want to be different.

*spits*

Different my hole. Snooty, more like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As long as someone doesn't actually call it the Nemesis system, they will almost certainly be fine.

Won't stop WB trying to claim they can't use it though...cause they ****ing suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭Varik

As long as someone doesn't actually call it the Nemesis system, they will almost certainly be fine.

Won't stop WB trying to claim they can't use it though...cause they ****ing suck.

Patents usually are as broad as possible, the name won't matter.

Software patents are ludicrous, and it's not just the US the EU is just as bad for granting them. They're not how to guides usually they just list out the problems, and some vague solution.

The likes of Blizzard got sued multiple times for WOW by companies with a patent that vaguely described a network, the patent could have applied to a large number of things but they go after the target that would pay out to avoid court.

Until World patent office stopped letting them you'd people & companies filing patents for Cold fusion.

Most companies just accumulate patents the same way countries stockpiled nukes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That sounds ****e. Just handing you a win is a joke really. The gaming equivalent of a participant trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ugh, why. I already can’t stand that some games ask you if you want to lower the difficulty just because you die a few times. It’s currently annoying me in MGSV which is worse than usual as it’s a game that practically encourages experimentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Might finally play the Soulsborne games to completion.

That is really bizarre. I've heard of games asking if you'd like to decrease the difficulty if you lose a number of times in a row. Some games even ask you if you want to INCREASE the difficulty if you're doing too good (I think FIFA does this off the top of my head) but the thing about those is that they're modeled off of choice. You can decline and have it not ask you again.

At no point should a game automatically scale the difficulty based on how good (or shíte, in this case) you're doing. If I'm struggling on a boss and you automatically scale down the difficulty for me, how am I supposed to learn? Unless I want to change it myself, Sony, stay out of it.

• Advertisement

Games outside of the soulsborne games are rarely difficult enough to warrant that waste of AI surely :confused:

Usually when games are hard it's because the devs have been lazy and simply increased the enemies health and damage and reduced yours.

Advertisement