Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a grand game. I enjoyed it for what it is but I'd agree with a lot of Azza's criticism of it. I wouldn't call it one of my favourites by a long shot. It's just one of those games that's always guaranteed to elicit a trolling comment from Retrogamer.

I think it's grand as well and do actually appreciate the combat. But I'm not going to pretend the dialogue isn't poundland Joss Whedon (the world building is ok if not interesting) and pretend that it doesn't fall back too heavily on ubisoft rote formula too much. It actually surprised me it was a lot better than it was considering how badly I rate the Killzone games are. You're just taking any negative comments I have and taking it as blanket criticism of the game. I think my biggest bug bear is that it's almost brilliant which is probably why I come across harsher on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Horizon is amazing.

Uncultured swine, the lot of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm actually some few hours into my NG+ run of that game, on Ultra Hard. The only thing about that difficulty that has tested me has actually been the hunting trials. Seriously f*ck that one with the Thunderjaw and 2 Ravagers :mad: 2mins and 30secs to control 2 Ravagers and have them take down a Thunderjaw.

To anyone who's played it, you know what I'm on about. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm actually some few hours into my NG+ run of that game, on Ultra Hard. The only thing about that difficulty that has tested me has actually been the hunting trials. Seriously f*ck that one with the Thunderjaw and 2 Ravagers :mad: 2mins and 30secs to control 2 Ravagers and have them take down a Thunderjaw.

To anyone who's played it, you know what I'm on about. Ridiculous.

From what I remember, you can kill the thunderjaw and it still counts. Knock the 2 disc launchers of its back and use them to kill the thunderjaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Finally got around to playing final fantasy 15 as it was coming off of the microsoft game pass on PC so I said I'd give it a go before it went.

To anyone that considered it don't bother. The negatives far out way the positives. A fun semi open world at first but quickly gets repetitive with a mediocre combat system and lack of enemy types. You will be fighting the same 30-40 enemies over and over again for the whole game. There's nearly 100 fish to catch though and 100 food recipes to learn all with their own 3d models! Nice priorities.

The storyline and characters are awful. Really awful. I almost turned the game off with how it opened. Compare it to final fantasy 7's opening. I couldn't stomach some of the cut scenes and they weren't skippable. Non likeable protagonists, lame antagonists, terrible script, mediocre acting. The usual modern final fantasy affair with the exception of 7 remake. Doing the main quest line made me want to quit the game.

The first few dozen hours experience with the game was great, there's definitely some fun to be had in the open world but then you quickly realise it's the same quests and enemies in nearly every zone. The dungeons were mediocre at best, badly designed for the most part and too similar to each other. 1 of the only things keeping me in the game was the possible end game dungeons but they are just as lame as the earlier ones with the same enemies that you've already fought and killed 100 times. Not many cool unique bosses. The most interesting boss fight was the garuda boss fight which was not even part of the main game. I was expecting bosses like this in every dungeon. There are some cool giant world bosses but they are all fairly dumb animals.

The summons are really good but once I got Garuda that's all that seemed to summon 90% of the time. I never once summoned Odin despite being the first 1 I got. You can't choose which 1 to summon.

The soundtrack is ok. There are some good tracks but it's nothing compared to 7 remake. My only hope is they take what they learned from doing the open world here and improve on it for the sequels to final fantasy 7 remake.

The magic system sucks, far worse than the majority of FF games.

Game started as an 8/10 for me for the first 30-40 hour as I was mainly doing the open world stuff and avoiding the main quest line but I can't overlook the really big negatives. There's easily 100 hours+ of content here but I'd happily take 50 hours of better content over what's on offer here. The game really drags by the end. 6/10 would be generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I really enjoyed HZD. I even liked the collectible grind during the first playthrough, it wasn't as annoying as usual. The trials were very frustrating at times.

In gaming anything can be improved by adding in zombies.

Armageddon is movie gold, are we seriously suggesting it's not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Armageddon is movie gold, are we seriously suggesting it's not?

Let's not pretend it's not outrageously ironically enjoyable except for Steve buscemi who is always enjoyable

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Let's not pretend it's not outrageously ironically enjoyable except for Steve buscemi who is always enjoyable

Now recalling Buscemi's role in Con Air. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just finished Horizon last night. Got to the final chapter on Saturday, themn before the point of no return, decided to do a load of side quests, including the Frozen Wilds DLC. About 50 hours altogether, finishing at Level 49.. Liked it and I like their version of the Ubi towers. Might go back and unlock the last couple of those.
    One sidequest did result in
    the Ancient Armour which came in handy during the Frozen Wilds and the final chapter.

Can see the comparisons to Breath of the Wild. Seriously, I can't climb that short head height wall without a yellow mark on it?

Now recalling Buscemi's role in Con Air. :D

You don't invite Steve buscemi on set unless you want everyone performances to be forgotten except him.

I mean look at the number he did on the Wedding Singer. Who else was even in that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Come to think of it, all of Horizon Zero Dawn's faults would of been rectified had Steve Buscemi been in it.

Steve Buscemi could make the story of kingdom hearts worth paying attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But keeping Lance Reddick? Maybe Buscemi in the role of Erend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

gizmo wrote: »
    Speaking of derivative works...

Whatever about the content of the game, I am absolutely baffled as to why any marketing department thought it appropriate to rip off the incredibly contrived Ubisoft-style scripted game chat for the initial reveal of their game. :o

Looks good, hope it's on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The Division with Zombies? Sign me the **** up.

There's a line in there about enemies more terrifying than other players, it might just be a throwaway line but I hope they are actually a big danger. The zombie numbers seem good so hopefully.

A lot of these survival games the zombies become only a nuances after a bit and it's the humans that are the real danger, players more so than NPC but even NPC usually are more trouble.

I just finished a 2 hour session of The Crew 2, about 1 hour and 50 minutes longer than I intended. Horrible driving controls. The only thing I like about it is the huge map. I like games that allow you to drive from one location to another for ages, but that's it really. The game is packed, PACKED, full of content but like every other Ubisoft game, it's bloated to a fault. I finished 6 races and the percentage completion for it came up as 3% for that specific sub-category, with the overall category being 1%. And there are about 5 categories of races. That's way too much.

I was playing on PC and it's rather a horrible port. If I want a stable frame-rate, I have to either play it in 1080p for 60fps, or 1440p for 30fps (playing 1440p in 60fps just causes horrible stutter -- one of a few reasons why I lean towards console gaming, I rarely need to worry about that), I stuck with the latter setting.

Visually the game looks good, but it's just.....meh. Quantity > Quality, that's what they've went with. I'll likely not turn it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Looks good, hope it's on PS5.

Steam only at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Playing Control on Xbox Series X and GamePass. Like it a lot. Really atmospheric with good combat and graphics/sound. Probably should have waited for the next gen version out today but maybe I'll replay with DLC and that in a few years when it's cheap.

Funny bug where the sound AND the subtitles drop out during important conversations. I thought it was some profound part of the game.. :) but it's just a bug (I've googled) Restart instead of instant resume seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Think the short "home movies" by the doctor in the game are brilliantly done and really add to the atmosphere. The weapon and personal mods are confusing ... But getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭recyclops

The ultimate is now on sale so pretty much the price of the DLC, if your not too far in its worth picking up now as saves dont carry over much to my annoyance as I waited for the ultimate to start the DLC and now ive to replay the whole game

Was worried about 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim as it's mostly story and Vanillaware haven't really shone in that department but.... it's kind of incredible. I can't put the game down. It looks gorgeous, the writing is fantastic and the soundtrack is very different from Basiscape's other work but so good. I just can't stop thinking about it in work and wanting to go home and find keep plugging away at the story to find out where it goes.

If it stays as good as it is to the end it will be far and away the best thing I played in 2020. And I heard it only gets better at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

recyclops wrote: »
    The ultimate is now on sale so pretty much the price of the DLC, if your not too far in its worth picking up now as saves dont carry over much to my annoyance as I waited for the ultimate to start the DLC and now ive to replay the whole game

Good to know. But I bought a new series x and the 3 year gold to gamepass ultimate upgrade and I'm not spending anymore money on xbox than I have to. Standard edition will do. Plus I'm nearly finished ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

TW:WH 3 just been officially announced - coming this year :)

TW:WH 3 just been officially announced - coming this year :)

Welp. That's my rig rendered obsolete again, thanks to another TW game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Started Obra Dinn last night.

Stopped Obra Dinn last night.

I can tell it's probably great when you get really into it, but I just don't want to try force myself to get to that point. Aside from the headache of the graphics, it just seemed like something that's going to annoy me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Penn wrote: »
    Started Obra Dinn last night.

Stopped Obra Dinn last night.

I can tell it's probably great when you get really into it, but I just don't want to try force myself to get to that point. Aside from the headache of the graphics, it just seemed like something that's going to annoy me too much.

I changed the settings to (I think) LCD monitor which meant it was just black and white rather than being black and green.

For me, it's one of the best games ever made. Just so smartly executed and one that revealed more and more the closer you look at each scene. First game that truly made me feel like a detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I changed the settings to (I think) LCD monitor which meant it was just black and white rather than being black and green.

For me, it's one of the best games ever made. Just so smartly executed and one that revealed more and more the closer you look at each scene. First game that truly made me feel like a detective.

I'd second both those points.

The graphics style worked very well but I found the default colour scheme a bit of a strain, messed around with the other options until I found something that worked for me.

And it definitely nailed that feeling of getting stuck in a dead end, going back to a scene, and noticing some little thing that unravelled a whole thread of the mystery. (Not sure the metaphor quite works but you know what I mean).

Welp. That's my rig rendered obsolete again, thanks to another TW game.

it'll be late 2021 by the time it's released, if thats any help :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And it'll be late 2023 by the time we can buy parts to upgrade!

it'll be late 2021 by the time it's released, if thats any help :/

My PC only manages to get 60 on WH2 when it's not too crazy. The benchmark averages 35-45fps though (TW3K runs much better in comparison, which is weird). This game, like almost every other new TW game that comes out, will make me upgrade. First it was Shogun 2 that made me upgrade, then it was Three Kingdoms, and now it's this. It seems to be Total War games that serve as my standard for whether or not it's worth upgrading my computer.

• Advertisement

My PC only manages to get 60 on WH2 when it's not too crazy. The benchmark averages 35-45fps though (TW3K runs much better in comparison, which is weird). This game, like almost every other new TW game that comes out, will make me upgrade. First it was Shogun 2 that made me upgrade, then it was Three Kingdoms, and now it's this. It seems to be Total War games that serve as my standard for whether or not it's worth upgrading my computer.

I'm the very same with fps in WH2, early game is great but it clogs up with massive battles later on, especially multiple waaaagh armies, to be expected really but still.

Advertisement