Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Started playing Death Stranding and I just wanted to know if the cut scene to playing ratio changes. I've played about 20 minutes but watched about 2 hours of cut scenes at this stage. It's what boiled my piss with MGS4 - so much so that I gave up playing - and I never even bothered with MGS5 because I couldn't face into that sort of nonsense again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Started playing Death Stranding and I just wanted to know if the cut scene to playing ratio changes. I've played about 20 minutes but watched about 2 hours of cut scenes at this stage. It's what boiled my piss with MGS4 - so much so that I gave up playing - and I never even bothered with MGS5 because I couldn't face into that sort of nonsense again.

As someone who actually fell asleep during an MGS 4 cutscene, Death Stranding is nowhere near that. Once you get to chapter 3, it's all gameplay only for a long time, then cool cutscenes for each chapter after and a few long ones at the end, loved the story though.

Also, you should give MGS 5 shout, such great gameplay mechanics in that, ton of fun infiltrating camps and completing objectives while tying fulton balloons to everything not nailed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As someone who actually fell asleep during an MGS 4 cutscene...

I did the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Also, you should give MGS 5 shout, such great gameplay mechanics in that, ton of fun infiltrating camps and completing objectives while tying fulton balloons to everything not nailed down.

I concur with the encouragement to play MGS5. I'm the biggest fan of that series that I know and I understand the cutscenes are just not for everyone. You'll either love or hate the games, but MGS5 really does go gameplay first and cutscenes waaaaaaaaay second.

There is nowhere near as much as their used to be. Most set pieces happen within the game as you're playing it. There are cutscenes, of course, but I have actually forgotten some of them, that's how less of them there are. MGS5 is gameplay, first and foremost. Give it a go.

(yay 3,000 posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

MGSV was far too repetitive for me.

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    MGSV was far too repetitive for me.

It's only as repetitive as you make it :D Mix it up a bit, there are so many ways to finish each mission :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,654 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Found MGS5 seriously dull.

I kinda got fed up with the growing incoherence of Kojima's storys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

MGS5 *almost* goes too far the opposite direction - there’s so many repetitive, pointless missions between the story progress. Thankfully the gameplay is a lot of fun. But there’s actually some really cool narrative stuff, like one extended mission in the back half of the game that has the absolute balls to
    wipe out a tonne of the progress you’ve made due to a virus spreading along your crew
    . That’s the kind of audacious **** that Kojima manages at his best. But then he names a character ‘Die Hardman’ and you realise he still has plenty of room for improvement :p

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Controversial opinion maybe, but i play Kojima games exclusively for the cutscenes. Don't get me wrong, I love the games (for the most part) but nobody does cutscenes like Kojima!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

As a quick addendum: while i like most of his games, MGS5 is probably the first game of his that I would say i 'enjoyed' playing.

• Advertisement

Well it has been years now since I touched it, but from what I do remember unlike the earlier MGS games 5 is not a linear, story-based stealth game but more like an open world stealth sandbox with some key missions and story splattered about the place.

I didn't finish any MGS game after #2. Third one I got pretty far but then got stuck on something and just stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Controversial opinion maybe, but i play Kojima games exclusively for the cutscenes. Don't get me wrong, I love the games (for the most part) but nobody does cutscenes like Kojima!

Same here. I got bored of Death Stranding because of the long stretches between story updates, I was interested in learning more about the world but there was just too much trekking back and forth you had to do before getting to the next cut scene.

I've loved every MGS game on the other hand. Brilliant for both the cutscenes and gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I gave up on MGSV because of the insistence to treat each mission like it's own stand alone game with intro and outro credits... And it was dull. MGS worked better as a linear story type game, not this open world bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of MGS, i really hope this rumour of MGS 1 remake is true. Also, the cast recently reunited for a zoom session.

I found the gameplay in MGS5 to be fine early on but then felt the game made me play a certain way. Put everyone to sleep and extract them for the base.

It's funny because that was a part of the game I was completely hooked on in Peacewalker. Sunk hours into that solo and a fair chunk of time with a pal in co-op.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not going to stop saying it but mgs 4 is over rated junk.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

You just couldn't keep up with the story Retro...didn't you know twas the nanomachines that did it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not going to stop saying it but mgs 4 is over rated junk.

I swear there are maybe like five particular games when they’re mentioned in this forum, some kind of very loud alarm system goes off in your home and you rush to the keyboard :p

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Tbh I think Death Stranding is his best effort since Snake Eater. But you might as well skip the cutscenes cause DS's story is just not worth it, too serious and boring with nothing much interesting to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I changed the settings to (I think) LCD monitor which meant it was just black and white rather than being black and green.

For me, it's one of the best games ever made. Just so smartly executed and one that revealed more and more the closer you look at each scene. First game that truly made me feel like a detective.

I've been burned a few times by game journo hype gaslighting the easily swayed into believing that dross is genius (Gone Home lol). As much as I loved Papers Please, I played about 5 minutes of Obra and just went "nah".

• Advertisement

Ah here where you not as profoundly moved with Death Stranding as this ad for the PS4 Pro indicated you would be!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The question is: would MGS be as big as series as it has been without Kojimas overblown, 1st year undergrad scripts? They're fine games, just rarely so exceptional I'd rank them Best in Class for (action) stealth. Never played Snake Eater, which IIRC is the best regarded, right? I can't work out how far along the Tommy Wiseau axis of well-meaning idiot he is, and like Wiseau wonder if Kojima either knows or cares how roundly mocked his storytelling is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I loved snake eater, being able to kill The End multiple ways was unreal.

The multiplayer on 4 was decent for its time.

I swear there are maybe like five particular games when they’re mentioned in this forum, some kind of very loud alarm system goes off in your home and you rush to the keyboard :p

Yeah I'm absolutely sick of him coming onto to every thread to praise Red Dead Redemption 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Just finsihed the main game in Control. Regular edition. Xbox Series X. Gamepass. I enjoyed it a lot, enough to experience a few "**** have 3 hours gone already" moments. And for "free" on GamePass. Nice! If you can play it free or e.g. 20 quid for Ultimate Edition. Then that's a bargain.

Story: The story is compelling. Crazy science being explained by the doctor via his grainy technicolor movie clips on old projectors is very clever. Fits with the story. Good acting here too. It's creepy X files/Stranger things kind of stuff, rather than straight out horror, which is great. Not sure I cared that much about the main character or her brother to be honest, but they fit in ok.

Design: I think I would have given up if I treated this as some kind of exploration game. It's not. It's quite linear. Most of the time I flew along without getting lost, which, considering the size of the world and rubbish map, is pretty good game design. I did waste time in the research section in a huge underground area, which seems to have no bearing in the game. I tries to be Metroid like game, and this works, sort of. But the weapon and personal mods upgrades are confusing to use and not sure they give really any benefit. Mostly you just want to improve your health bar and your ability to launch projectiles. There is one side mission, I think you need to do to get the very useful "evade" skill. But the other you get in the main game. Combat it exciting and fun. You develop your skills up nicely throughout the game and by the time you get to the Ashtray Maze, near the end, you're just having a ball. Note: this maze doesn't activate until late in the game, so don't waste your time here early on. (is that a spoiler ?) I like the fact that you have to go all out and attack and keep moving or attack and cover strategically and gradually from a distance. The situation is creepy and scary, but you have to get over that and go for it. Good mix of different enemy types to keep it interesting.

Puzzles: nothing really. I did look up the only reasonable difficult puzzle in the game because I don't have that much time to play. Also, somethings such as "find person x at y" I looked up. I don't have time to go searching the world especially with that crap map.

Graphics/sound/physics: All pretty great. I like the way to you destoy stuff and it stays destroyed. Even small items can be broken into smaller parts. The physics are great in it. Believable. Levitation is done really well in it. They could have made a mess of this. Throwing everything including the kitchen sink at enemies is great fun and doesn't get old. It was all perfectly smooth and fast on Series X. I'd imagine the 60 FPS version would play great. Some other time. Did have a couple of glitches with sound and subtitles dropping out. And one freeze near the end. Restart the game sorted those out. Maybe instant resume issues.

I was gonna put this in the "trivial happiness" thread, but nobody there would understand how happy I am over such a menial thing.

Last night I was browsing to see if 'Shank' and 'Shank 2' were on Steam, and I found them for a tenner each.

I went over to see if it was on sale elsewhere and I found Shank 2 for about €3. So I got that. But I couldn't find Shank 1. So I put it on my Wishlist on the off-chance that it might go on sale...….

Not even a day later I get a notification telling me "a game on your Wishlist is on sale", lo and behold f*cking Shank is on sale for €2.49. I couldn't make it up if I wanted to. I'm delighted with myself.

WTF is Shank?

pixelburp wrote: »
    The question is: would MGS be as big as series as it has been without Kojimas overblown, 1st year undergrad scripts? They're fine games, just rarely so exceptional I'd rank them Best in Class for (action) stealth. Never played Snake Eater, which IIRC is the best regarded, right? I can't work out how far along the Tommy Wiseau axis of well-meaning idiot he is, and like Wiseau wonder if Kojima either knows or cares how roundly mocked his storytelling is.

The first one was the best IMO, but it has not aged well.

Azza wrote: »
    WTF is Shank?

Oh it was a 2D sidescrolling hack 'n' slash game that came out on the Xbox 360/PS3 about 10-11 years ago. It was developed by the same crowd who made Don't Starve and Mark of the Ninja.

Shank_Art.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭McFly85

MGS3 is by far the best. Much better stealth gameplay than any that came before it, one of the best boss fights in gaming history and the story being straightforward for Kojima and pretty engaging. Top class theme song too :D

The others I would rank 1, Revengeance(yes I’m including it), Peace Walker,4,5

Although I’m not sure I’m being fair to 5, Im just a few hours in and struggling to warm to it. The stealth is good but it doesn’t feel like a Metal Gear game.

Advertisement