Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

How could I forget HL2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Brain not working enough at the moment to recall but any examples of a game that was super hyped pre release and then lived up to it?

Ocarina of Time, the build up to that was insane and it delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I remember that but the earliest one I can remember was Killer Instinct which was going to be the ultimate, best ever beat Em up, it wasn't, it was sh1te.

Wash your mouth out, once I got Orchid's 47 hit combo on the Snes it was the best game ever!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still can't get over Valve releasing an incredible, full-blooded Half-Life game this year after a decade of fevered anticipation, and barely anyone (relatively speaking) getting to play it :( Says so much about the state and uptake of VR in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Um, maybe because I do care for his recommendations???
    Speaking of snipey, perhaps don't shoot first and ask questions later - it wasn't Johnny's recommendation specifically. It's just that historically when someone says, "best game ever" it usually doesn't live up to the hype so I've learned to lower my expectations. I'm still going to play it based on the recommendations here, including Johnny's but I am cautiously optimistic. That's all. :confused:

Fair enough, sorry I took it the wrong way. I see Johnny get a lot of flak on different forums about his film and music recommendations. There's times I don't agree with him but I can't ever fault his enthusiasm for the film and games.

• Advertisement

I still can't get over Valve releasing an incredible, full-blooded Half-Life game this year after a decade of fevered anticipation, and barely anyone (relatively speaking) getting to play it :( Says so much about the state and uptake of VR in 2020.

There's a lot of aspects that work against me investing in it atm. I don't want to invest heavily in a technology that hasn't really been hugely adopted. Also don't have the space which factors in for a fair few people I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brain not working enough at the moment to recall but any examples of a game that was super hyped pre release and then lived up to it?

A few of the earlier GTAs like Vice City and San Andreas delivered on their enormous hype, and even 4 and 5 did to an extent. San Andreas in particular was everything I hoped it’d be and more, but I was still fairly young when it came out and the novelty of playing it might’ve made me biased. I went back to it in 2015 for another playthrough on the PS4 and then realised it actually was amazing and it still held up.

Super Mario Galaxy is another one, maybe didn’t quite have the same marketing budget as the Rockstar titles but I remember it being a pretty big deal as the first Mario title on the Wii. And it was magical in fairness.

Odyssey too, as mentioned above, definitely fits the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

GTA Vice City is one game I wanted to finish, but the controls for it drove me mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a lot of aspects that work against me investing in it atm. I don't want to invest heavily in a technology that hasn't really been hugely adopted. Also don't have the space which factors in for a fair few people I suspect.

Yep, it's totally understandable. I have a Rift and even that's now old-hat - it's not just a matter of having the hardware, but it's constantly being iterated and improved on to a frustrating degree from the perspective of those who bought in even a few years ago. There's not enough out there to justify the constant investment needed. And I've absolutely run into space issues too.

Alyx is that good IMO, and ultimately well worth the various issues and expense that comes with the territory. But I'll be surprised if Valve push further, as even looking at the years sales charts (as per Steam's own charts at the moment) it can't have been a profitable enterprise for them. Obviously they're a company big enough to eat the cost as a sheer passion project, but I'd say a HL3 - which seems inevitable given where Alyx ends up - will be more traditional, or at least with VR as an option rather than the base experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The one that sticks out for me was resident evil 4. Was very excited about that game but was not expecting one of the very best action games of all time that influenced action games for years yet nothing still has really come close to matching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Most hyped games tend to deliver to some degree as the way games are covered its very rare a game kinda drops from nowhere to be a big release.

Its probably easier to remember hyped ones that didn't deliver what people were expecting like Fallout 4, BioShock Infinite, Resident Evil 6, No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk. They all kinda promised something that just didn't exist on day one. Stuff like Anthem, Fallout 76 & Avengers; maybe I am naive but I think people were very guarded on them even before the pre release beta's killed them in most peoples eyes.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    GTA Vice City is one game I wanted to finish, but the controls for it drove me mad.

God that's one that I had serious hype for pre-release having loved GTA 3 which was a revelation to me at the time and VC didn't fail to deliver. Got it early too as I'd a pal working in Xtra-Vision.

I replayed both on PS4 in the last year or so and my love for Vice City is no more, it has some serious frustrations I don't recall having back in the day. GTA 3 though I had a blast playing again.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Its so unfortunate that more people are not in a position to experience HL:Alyx. The price of admission is simply too high, but as a gaming experience I think its unsurpassed. People spending €1500 on a RTX 3090 or €1000 euro on 6900XT should seriously consider an Index instead, I guarantee 120FPS or ray tracing doesn't match the experience of VR done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Azza wrote: »
    Its so unfortunate that more people are not in a position to experience HL:Alyx. The price of admission is simply too high,

Aye I can never seem to fit it into any PC budget or upgrade. My next PC is going to set me back €1300-€1500 probably because it's going to be specced for 32GB RAM, all solid-state storage for a mix of work and play. I really wanted to get into VR but it never seems to be financially viable. It's like consoles... I can't justify 100s on a device that is solely for entertainment consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Jealous of people who get to play Alyx, looks so good but can't justify the cost (I would need a new pc). Personally, I wish Steam never happened, feel like we have missed out on some great Valve games as a result. At least Turtle Rock Studios are back on the case!

God that's one that I had serious hype for pre-release having loved GTA 3 which was a revelation to me at the time and VC didn't fail to deliver. Got it early too as I'd a pal working in Xtra-Vision.

I replayed both on PS4 in the last year or so and my love for Vice City is no more, it has some serious frustrations I don't recall having back in the day. GTA 3 though I had a blast playing again.

GTA III, San Andreas and Vice City were part of a 'GTA Trilogy' for the PS4 from what I remember.

I just couldn't get into III or Vice City due to the controls. Played San Andreas on the XB360 and loved it. Couldn't get the same feeling when I tried it on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of vice city, what an incredible soundtrack. I was actually listening to it in my car just yesterday. It's mad, those 80's songs are iconic in their own right but listening to them now just makes me think of driving neon streets in my Comet. I'd love if GTA 6 revisited Vice City but not sure if they could recapture the magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Speaking of vice city, what an incredible soundtrack. I was actually listening to it in my car just yesterday. It's mad, those 80's songs are iconic in their own right but listening to them now just makes me think of driving neon streets in my Comet. I'd love if GTA 6 revisited Vice City but not sure if they could recapture the magic.

I always remember hating 80s music being played by my parents at home until I played VC, now i am the same as you, anytime I hear a song from the soundtrack I am transported back nearly 20 years to playing VC. Flash FM in particular.

I bought the CD box set soundtrack many moons ago in golden discs.

The radio stations in Vice City are easily my favourite by far. I like the tunes in GTA IV but not really GTA V.

I always remember hating 80s music being played by my parents at home until I played VC, now i am the same as you, anytime I hear a song from the soundtrack I am transported back nearly 20 years to playing VC. Flash FM in particular.

I bought the CD box set soundtrack many moons ago in golden discs.

I think Andreas had the country music. Running over swathes of people in tune with "Crazy" or "All my exes live in Texas".. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

As far as licensed soundtracks go it'll never be touched in a game ever again, in my opinion. To this day I haven't sang along to a game as much...

4rvxlh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I prefered GTA IIIs and SA soundtracks to VC tbh, then GTAIVs soundtrack went to **** and I havent played the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know if they could ever beat V-Rock in Vice City. I mean they had two songs from a fictional band made just for the game, and they were still great tunes that slotted in perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think I'd rank Vice City's soundtrack ahead of San Andreas as it fit the setting so well. The talk radio and ads on GTAIII's radio were great (phrases still pop into my head "As a mother and a fireman...", "biorhythmic subconsistence gymnastics", "cinco-cinco-cinco, nueve-dos-nueve-dos"). I'd have to look up the songs though as none are coming to mind.

The same with GTAIV, when I think about that game it's the city and the gameplay that comes to mind not the soundtrack. As for GTAV, I actively disliked that game's radio and spent more time skipping through stations than actually listening to it.

All that said, nothing beats The Ballad of Chapped-Lips Calhoun by Sideways Hank O'Malley and the Alabama Bottle Boys tbh :pac:

They removed some the songs in later versions didn't they, I think the 2 Michael Jackson songs were among them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think I'd rank Vice City's soundtrack ahead of San Andreas as it fit the setting so well. The talk radio and ads on GTAIII's radio were great (phrases still pop into my head "As a mother and a fireman...", "biorhythmic subconsistence gymnastics", "cinco-cinco-cinco, nueve-dos-nueve-dos"). I'd have to look up the songs though as none are coming to mind.

The same with GTAIV, when I think about that game it's the city and the gameplay that comes to mind not the soundtrack. As for GTAV, I actively disliked that game's radio and spent more time skipping through stations than actually listening to it.

All that said, nothing beats The Ballad of Chapped-Lips Calhoun by Sideways Hank O'Malley and the Alabama Bottle Boys tbh :pac:

There was only a few songs in GTA V I liked. I thought most were rubbish. Loved the Vice City sound track, it was so good. The ads were brilliant too. Any one remember the Maibatsu Thunder ad. Now that ad would make me buy a car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Vice City feels ripe for remaster you'd imagine, but then GRA Online makes so much money it's probably not worth the effort. Plus I'd not trust Rockstar to avoid over engineering a remaster anyway. I'd love to replay VC but something tells me nostalgia is papering over the cracks of that older 3d engine Rockstar used for III and VC; memory suggests it was very ... brittle

San Andreas had some classics in there too. Remember driving along to this in the mountains on a dirt bike.

https://youtu.be/PeMvMNpvB5M

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Penn wrote: »
    I don't know if they could ever beat V-Rock in Vice City. I mean they had two songs from a fictional band made just for the game, and they were still great tunes that slotted in perfectly.

I grew up listening to metal in the 80s so most of it was well trod territory for me, plus a load of ****e FM rock from America.

GTA III had the good sense to made the dub channel a DJ playing the Scientists "rids to world of the curse of the evil vampires" album

And this cracker of a track:

• Advertisement
Advertisement