Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone else playing Haven?? The combat is ****e, the areas are all the same pretty much, the gameplay loop is repetitive, the crafting is rudimentary but the writing, dialogue, relationship between the two characters and the story are all great. Some genuine laugh out loud and touching moments anyone who has ever been in a relationship could get and I'm not talking stereotypical stuff here it's great stuff at times and realistic too :D. Best voice acting I've experienced in a while too. As a game this isn't great but everything else has me still playing it and wanting to see it through to the end.

I'm interested in it as I absolutely adored Furi but it's just been completely ignored by all the press and I've not seen a review of it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm interested in it as I absolutely adored Furi but it's just been completely ignored by all the press and I've not seen a review of it.

Yeah and I got stuck at one point earlier and had no idea where I needed to go and a google search led me to guides for Darksiders 3 DLC.

It's on gamepass so theres that.

I ended my time with it tonight by sleeping and there being humorous dialogue about him having cold feet and which was worse - warming them on her calves now or or risk being woken by them in the night :D

The writing and dialogue and delivery is superb just the game loop is crap and I'd still say it's worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Rally driving games. If you ever feel like a challenge, look no further than the Dirt Rally games. Dirt Rally is hard, Dirt Rally 2.0 is much harder. Don't let that put you off though, as it is a very rewarding experience when everything is going well. There is nothing like driving a Group B monster through a forest or trying to tame the beast on an icy stage in Monte Carlo.

Also, Dirt Rally in Virtual Reality is an amazing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So what games will you be playing over Christmas and into the New Year?

For me: Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Astro Bot Rescue Mission and GTA: Online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Immortals Fenyx Rising, BOTW and Sakuna of Rice and Ruin for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Miles Morales, Cobra Kai: The Saga Continues, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Valhalla, Death Stranding, some Resi Evil (0 and revelations). Bought the wrong credit accidentally on Eneba and rather than waiting for a refund I got MK11 so might have a go at that. Maybe a bit of Demon's Souls NG+ or start again with a new build

Might bite the bullet and get Spoderman. Probably a few others.

Wouldn't mind but I'm working a few of the days over Christmas so not entirely sure when I'll be playing all of the above :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Immortals Fenix Rising is brilliant. Will play that on switch.
    More Xcom 2 on switch too.
    Will try to get some more cyberpunk played on Stadia.
    Then with the kids off we will prob play more overcooked and sackboy on PS5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have a good few days of and have the Switch and PC packed for the parents.

I'll continue on with Dragon Quest 3 on the Switch. On PC I'm not so sure as I'm between games. I'll continue on with Forza 3 and maybe start into Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

taking on old ps4 home to play on an sd tv, shudder. have preloaded Dead Souls III for one more attempt, immortals fenyx rising and evil within 2 on disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Still partying like it's 2015 here so once I finish the last episode of Life Is Strange, I'll be moving onto Arkham Knight.

Currently working my way through The Clone Wars on TV before I hit The Mandalorian so reckon I may squeeze in Republic Commando afterwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Going to finish off Jedi Fallen Order. Have the Control Expansion Packs and Death Stranding waiting in the wings. Also, going to pick up Life is Strange 2 for about 11 euros in Argos today and give that a whirl. There'll be Fortnite and Crash Team Racing played with the kids as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Immortals Fenyx Rising until completion (platinum maybe, depends what trophies are left when I'm near the end), then going to go with something a little bit different... Demons Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Trying to get up to my tenth clear on Hades - up to eight now and somehow playing a lot of Borderlands 2 on the Switch in handheld. It's a great port and with the Hori Split Pad Pro plays brilliantly. Just one of those games to mindlessly play through while herself is watching something on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Going to finish off Jedi Fallen Order. Have the Control Expansion Packs and Death Stranding waiting in the wings. Also, going to pick up Life is Strange 2 for about 11 euros in Argos today and give that a whirl. There'll be Fortnite and Crash Team Racing played with the kids as well.

I stopped playing Fallen order after a few hours ( got it on release day). found it very linear.
    Might start again if I get a deal on the pS5 upgraded version.

Needs something SW now to keep me going after Mando

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Crash 4 and Ghost of Tsushima. Gonna put Death Stranding to the side for a while, the mountain section is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just finished AC Odyssey so I'm playing Hellblade now for the first time as a palate cleanser from open worlds (super burnt out on them), and then it'll be Death Stranding to get me through the Christmas if I can stick with it after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'll continue on with Dragon Quest 3 on the Switch. On PC I'm not so sure as I'm between games. I'll continue on with Forza 3 and maybe start into Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin properly.

Did you finish Sekiro yet?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you finish Sekiro yet?

Nope. And set up my pc there saw it was installed and decided I'm going to finish it this time! Fourth time is the charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Penn wrote: »
    Immortals Fenyx Rising until completion (platinum maybe, depends what trophies are left when I'm near the end), then going to go with something a little bit different... Demons Souls.

Still working on that myself, jumping in and out every now and then. There's a lot more hidden stuff to collect that you'd think, especially the mounts and legendary monsters (of which there isn't a complete list available yet!!). I'm 1 short of the 10, and no idea where to go.

One other thing that may stop you is if you've missed chests. To get the plat, you've to get all the wings, mounts, Phosphor skins and weapons, and most of them are in chests. Even with most of the map complete, every now and again I'll be using the look and come across one I hadn't earlier. Could make the plat just too annoying to get, as you can't upgrade the range on it. I can see a patch to have a show all treasure option or something like that.

As for myself, will try and play a bit more of:
    - Godfall: It's grand, just doesn't make you want to come back, there's a good game there but it's not complete yet
    - Wreckfest online: Got some good matches last night, all dependent on if the people you're playing against have paid for the faster car packs
    - Maybe try and finish Ghost of Tsushima
    - Try and complete the plat on Immortals Fenyx Rising
    - I'll probably hover over Days Gone a few times and decide I couldn't be arsed continuing
    - Maybe a bit of Rocket League with the lads

Spent a good 20 minutes going through the Jan sales last night. Not a lot jumping out at me tbh.

• Advertisement

Still working on that myself, jumping in and out every now and then. There's a lot more hidden stuff to collect that you'd think, especially the mounts and legendary monsters (of which there isn't a complete list available yet!!). I'm 1 short of the 10, and no idea where to go.

One other thing that may stop you is if you've missed chests. To get the plat, you've to get all the wings, mounts, Phosphor skins and weapons, and most of them are in chests. Even with most of the map complete, every now and again I'll be using the look and come across one I hadn't earlier. Could make the plat just too annoying to get, as you can't upgrade the range on it. I can see a patch to have a show all treasure option or something like that.

Yeah there have been a few chests and stuff I've found while travelling that the far-sighted hadn't picked up (and doing that to begin with is a pain in the jacksy). I've been making sure to get all chests in vaults anyway to make sure I don't have to redo those. But yeah, I imagine there'll be a checklist added in a patch.

Got some of the trickier trophies naturally, like the ones for killing enemies with environment traps and getting the 80-whatever combo, so if the collection trophies start to annoy by the end, I might just move on to something else and revisit it before dlc comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I picked up THPS on Epic store so going to spend a bit of time with that. Getting a PS5 for Christmas so will be playing Astro Boy and Demon Souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely going to finish up Paradise Killer which I’ve been immensely enjoying. Going to finally give In Other Waters a good go as I’ve seen it pop up on quite a few end of year lists. And eager to start Hylics 2, because it looks mesmerisingly odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

As I suggested previously, Virtual Virtual Reality is 40% off on Steam at the moment, and comes to €7.49

https://store.steampowered.com/app/889480/Virtual_Virtual_Reality/

I'd say you'd really enjoy it and it gets very favourable reviews.

Just weird enough to keep you entertained! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Forgot how collect-y Crash was and to make it worse they've tied unlocking skins to it!

Going through a level and seeing 103/104 boxes at the end...

uf2rk99b08221.jpg

J. Marston wrote: »
    Forgot how collect-y Crash was and to make it worse they've tied unlocking skins to it!

Going through a level and seeing 103/104 boxes at the end...

uf2rk99b08221.jpg

It wasn't that big an issue in previous games, but they went way overboard in Crash 4. Levels are much longer, some of the hidden gems and boxes are just ridiculous, and then having to do the N-verted levels too (especially when it comes to levels with Polar which can make getting all the boxes an absolute nightmare) is tough enough.

Then add in having to get Platinum time relics for full completion (previous was only gold), the flashback tape levels and N-sanely Perfect Relics... I played a fair bit mostly just because I didn't want to start a new game in the weeks before the PS5 came out, but getting full completion for that game just seems beyond N-furiating.

The game is great overall, but as much as I loved fully completing the games in the N-Sane trilogy, this one was just never on the cards for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Made yet another attempt to get into Witcher 3, and once again bailed. Ergh. It just doesn't click with me. The combat is so horrible, and simply moving about the world has that inelegant sense of steering something cumbersome, I just get frustrated and play BOTW instead.

I see the YouTube videos of all those apparently great plot lines - and what little I've played has shown great writing and voice acting (I've yet to leave White Orchard lol), but the game feels horrible to play. Am I a bad gamer? :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

The game plays much better than you have more than 2GB of VRAM! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

pixelburp wrote: »
    Made yet another attempt to get into Witcher 3, and once again bailed. Ergh. It just doesn't click with me.

For me, the gameplay was the underwhelming part of the game i found, its fairly basic and easy from the get go, the only difficulty spikes are when you bump into a new monster that requires you to use a specific sign to make the fight manageable. And the game just gets easier the more you level as you can get redic overpowered.

Saying that, i did love hunting down monsters and doing bounties, thats the only fighting of the game i really enjoyed. The nests/packs you bump into on the road are just tedious after awhile.

Everything else about the game is top tier, graphics, stories, voice acting, exploring, gwent. It really is the best open world game in my opinion, rivaled only by BOTW, but they kind of swap aspects, W3 having better story but BOTW having better gameplay (mostly) but even then, id take W3 over BOTW.. If it wasnt for that ****ty weapon system id prob have went with BOTW :P:pac:

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Made yet another attempt to get into Witcher 3, and once again bailed. Ergh. It just doesn't click with me. The combat is so horrible, and simply moving about the world has that inelegant sense of steering something cumbersome, I just get frustrated and play BOTW instead.

I see the YouTube videos of all those apparently great plot lines - and what little I've played has shown great writing and voice acting (I've yet to leave White Orchard lol), but the game feels horrible to play. Am I a bad gamer? :D

The worst gamer.

Might be worth trying to approach it as a 'roleplaying' game. Playing dungeons and dragons made western rpgs click with me. Ended up enjoying stuff like mass effect. Basically these games have pretty ropey combat and game mechanics but the fun is in making the choices in the story and messing around with that..it's tempting to just pick the good choices but that's boring. Have some fun with the choices you make. It's tooling around with the story and making the choices you, or the character you choose to play would make. Ignore any alignment meters and just have fun with it.

Also helps if you are in the mood for those games as well. I know if I'm not in the mood for a very wordy game there's no point in me playing it.

It will eventually clock but there is a good investment of time to be made before you get there.

Advertisement