Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,570 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Only seen brief clips, but Crimson Desert and Hood have my attention as well as already mentioned Deathloop and R&C. Possibly Dying Light 2 next yr too? Oh, and Cyberpunk for PS5 minus all the glitches/bugs..

I absolutely loved dying light 1 but 2 seems to have gone through dev hell. I'm just glad they took the difficult decision to put it on the back burner to make it better and release when ready but whether good example of announced too early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2021 is looking very strong. Lots of good games on the horizon and lots delayed to miss clashing with cyberpunk. Indie gaming is looking to be exceptional.

Don't ask me what I'm looking forward to... I know there's loads but can't think past earth defense force 6 at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm hoping for a Forza Horizon 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well my short list for 2021 games so far is (hopefully) Hollow Knight: Silksong, Evil Genius 2 and the Redemption expansion to Binding of Isaac.

Outside of those theres the usual hope & prayer from more news on BoTW2, Total WarHammer 3 or Bayonetta 3; also Monster Hunter Rise, Nier Replicant and Yakuza on PC. Once everything (hopefully) stabilises in the first few months of next year more games will be announced as devs get back to full pelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Also Resident Evil 8 Village

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

New Horizon game coming next year as well. The first one was great fun so looking forward to the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Sorry if totally wrong thread, been trying to find most appropriate one, here’s goes anyway...not sure if Xbox Or PS but way back in the day there was a car crash game, essence was bigger/better the crash the more points you got, could crash any number of vehicles into oncoming traffic, off bridges etc. etc. Been trying to figure out what it was called, anyone any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,350 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sorry if totally wrong thread, been trying to find most appropriate one, here’s goes anyway...not sure if Xbox Or PS but way back in the day there was a car crash game, essence was bigger/better the crash the more points you got, could crash any number of vehicles into oncoming traffic, off bridges etc. etc. Been trying to figure out what it was called, anyone any idea?

Burnout

Might be wrong discussion to post this in, brother got me a gamestop voucher, I assume I can buy a psn voucher in store with it?

Bit of advice please. I have 25 PSN credit and trying to decide between these to play on PS5. Both detective walking sims by the sounds of it. Anyone play one or both and recommend? Both currently on sale.

Return of the Obra Dinn - €18. Sounds a bit mad but gets great reviews on here and other sites.

Observer: System Redux - €24. Sounds like the PS5 version got some nice upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Return of the Obra Dinn is one of the best video games ever made. That 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Bit of advice please. I have 25 PSN credit and trying to decide between these to play on PS5. Both detective walking sims by the sounds of it. Anyone play one or both and recommend? Both currently on sale.

Return of the Obra Dinn - €18. Sounds a bit mad but gets great reviews on here and other sites.

Observer: System Redux - €24. Sounds like the PS5 version got some nice upgrades.

Don't normally play those type of games but they definitely sound interesting, can't help you on which one to get though :)

I found Observer to be a pretty disappointing experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Return of the Obra Dinn is incredible

I was leaning towards Obra Dinn as i was close to pulling the trigger a few times before but never did. Saw 2 articles, one about how obra dinn is scratching their cyberpunk itch and the other comparing it to the csi games which i loved. With the comments above, the decision has been made, thanks lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope you enjoy it. It's a fantastic game that tells a story that can only be told in the medium of videogames.

I really need to have another go at trying to beat it. It's a game you can't really take a break from!

Hadn't realised Obra Dinn was in the sale so going to pick it up as well. My question now is this: which do I play first - Kentucky Route Zero (on sale for €13) or Obra Dinn?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hadn't realised Obra Dinn was in the sale so going to pick it up as well. My question now is this: which do I play first - Kentucky Route Zero (on sale for €13) or Obra Dinn?

They’re both relatively short games so you won’t be stuck with either for too long.

Obra Dinn is the more easily recommended of the two, and more accessible - its punchy, attention grabbing and very mechanically involving. Kentucky Route Zero is a slower, weirder proposition. I adore them both absolutely, but KRZ0 is one best played when you have some peace and quiet to really soak in its atmosphere and pacing.

Actually scoffed when i saw the size of the install, a whole 2gb's :pac:

Yep, that means it's definitely not one of the best video games ever made but I'll check it out all the same.

If you don't care for his recommendations why bother with the snipey comments?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm. To the subject of hype in games. The very first "omg best game ever" en masses hype I remember was for the first Black & White (2002, yikes) from perennial bullshít artist Peter Molyneux (now there's yesterday's man). The game itself was grand like, good n all but like much of Molyneux's work in the 2000s, was seriously overhyped to a ludicrous degree. Hello Games has nothing on the garbage Molyneux used to spout IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm. To the subject of hype in games. The very first "omg best game ever" en masses hype I remember was for the first Black & White (2002, yikes) from perennial bullshít artist Peter Molyneux (now there's yesterday's man). The game itself was grand like, good n all but like much of Molyneux's work in the 2000s, was seriously overhyped to a ludicrous degree. Hello Games has nothing on the garbage Molyneux used to spout IMO.

God I remember that, it didn't hold a candle to Populus 2 in the end. Was very disappointed I'd actually got sucked in like that.

Nate

I don't use 'one of the best games ever made' lightly in these circumstances. I wholeheartedly believe it - it's the kind of game I play games for (along with your Outer Wilds, Breath of the Wilds, Ico, Half-Lifes etc...). Apologies if it sets the bar too high, but there's no hyperbole from me in this case (all IMO of course) :)

Well I think there's a difference between hyping up a game before release, and hyping up one after release. The reality of Black & White hit as soon as people actually played the game. Just recently we've seen Cyberpunk's years-long, hysterical hype-building come crashing down as the reality of it being just another video game hit home.

But I think there's a difference between that and people holding a game in high regard after release. In Obra Dinn's case we're talking about a game that's been out over two years, widely praised by audiences and critics alike. It's the 'reality' of the game that was released that has earned that response, rather than unrealistic promises and smart marketing pre-release.

Brain not working enough at the moment to recall but any examples of a game that was super hyped pre release and then lived up to it?

Brain not working enough at the moment to recall but any examples of a game that was super hyped pre release and then lived up to it?

Half-Life 2 is the one I remember best. Outrageous level of excitement around it for years, and I still remember my jaw-dropping when I booted it up on release day and was greeted with a genuine generational leap in graphics and design.

I mean, I also remember the frustration of trying to get the crappy first version of Steam to download the game on dial-up... but thankfully the game was worth it :p

Lots of Nintendo games too would fit in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Don't know about super hyped but one has already been mentioned, BOTW. Suppose you could throw Mario Odyssey in there too. Always will be hype for these but they delivered. God of War was another that had a fair bit of hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Hmmm. To the subject of hype in games. The very first "omg best game ever" en masses hype I remember was for the first Black & White (2002, yikes) from perennial bullshartist Peter Molyneux (now there's yesterday's man). The game itself was grand like, good n all but like much of Molyneux's work in the 2000s, was seriously overhyped to a ludicrous degree. Hello Games has nothing on the garbage Molyneux used to spout IMO.

I remember that but the earliest one I can remember was Killer Instinct which was going to be the ultimate, best ever beat Em up, it wasn't, it was sh1te.

Ah yeah, i was thinking of HL 1 and my lack of knowledge pre release, forgot about HL 2 :) Speaking of HL, I can't decide which one I prefer.

Advertisement