Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

pixelburp wrote: »
    Vice City feels ripe for remaster you'd imagine, but then GRA Online makes so much money it's probably not worth the effort. Plus I'd not trust Rockstar to avoid over engineering a remaster anyway. I'd love to replay VC but something tells me nostalgia is papering over the cracks of that older 3d engine Rockstar used for III and VC; memory suggests it was very ... brittle

A ps5 remake of VC would be absolutely incredible. Especially if they could use the same soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

music can be incredible in games. I always remember stanglehold (Ted Nugent) in Vice City. Then it was in Battlefield Hardline. I don't think I've ever felt better than the time I was hanging out the window, RPG on shoulder. being drven round listening to that.
    There's a scene in Black ops 1 Campaign where your cruising down a Vietnam river with the Stones, Sympathy for the Devil playing, which is truley awesome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

Always loved the remixes that they used in bioahock infinite and then how they explained how they are in columbia.

The best part was you'd first hear them and recognise the song but no idea how.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The opening helicopter ride in Vietcong with I wanna be your dog by The Stooges was one of the best parts of that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

It wasn't scripted but I have vivid memories of a moment in San Andreas when the riots had broken out and the story was at a particularly tense moment, when I hopped on a motorbike and Free Bird was just starting. I rode out of the city and for those 9 minutes I just enjoyed the open road and the music and forgot all about the corrupt cops and the riots and the violence, probably rose tinted glasses but I remember it as one of the most immersive moments in any game I've played.

For a scripted moment, the mission in Saints Row that played out to Kanye West's Power was fantastic. And every other scene in Life is Strange has a pitch perfect licensed musical accompaniment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I really liked the moment in Max Payne 3 when this song kicked in during the last level:

I think Rockstar in general are really good at picking songs for specific moments of gameplay.

2 that spring to mind are:

1 - The moment in Red Dead Redemption when you go into Mexico for the first time and this song creeps in. It's legitimately one of my favourite experiences ever playing a game.

2 - When this song plays in red dead redemption 2..... don't watch if you haven't played the game obviously!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where is the best place to buy a pre-made gaming pc these days? Not interested in building one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

In relation to songs, the cover of Firestarter during the title sequence of Just Cause 3 was brilliant. There Jimi Hendrix song, 1983, at the end of Spec Ops: The Line was a perfect way to finish that game.

Watchdogs 2 had a Leatherface song on one of the stations and it was such a joy when I heard it first. I love that band but I hadn't heard them for years. A pretty obscure choice but a brilliant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Watchdogs 2 had a Leatherface song on one of the stations and it was such a joy when I heard it first. I love that band but I hadn't heard them for years. A pretty obscure choice but a brilliant one.

You just reminded me. Watch Dogs 2 had garbage radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Opened up my 4 year old PS4 for the first time today after Ghost of Tsushima was making it sound like a hoover. Good God, the amount of dust in there. Cleaned it as best I could, will test it later to see if it made a difference.

Edit: Made the world of difference. Much quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You just reminded me. Watch Dogs 2 had garbage radio stations.

Yeah, tbf, the rest of the music was cack. The Leatherface track stuck out like a sore thumb.

They have a lot of english songs in legion but it is set in London. Brush your teeth and footballs coming home. Damn songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Where is the best place to buy a pre-made gaming pc these days? Not interested in building one.

I'd say ask on the building and upgrading forum anyway?

Somebody there should be able to recommend a build from somewhere that'll assemble it for you.

(That said though, building isn't that hard once you've some patience, I built mine about 5 years ago with zero experience. The downside is if you do something stupid you've to work it out yourself. But the upside is you end up a lot more confident about fixing issues yourself, or gradually swapping in upgrades over time. Plus you end up with a better machine for the same price versus a pre-build ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Started GTA5 recently.

I can see why people were frustrated with RDR2. GTA5 is straight into the action with no let up. Very funny it is too. Trevor throwing out off the hip psychological advice and observations looks and sounds like Jordan Peterson :). Also, the 80s and Country radio stations are a perfect backdrop to the mayhem. The talk radio is brilliant too.The sheer amount of vehicles is incredible and the all handle so well. Love just flying the planes. It's brilliant how you can switch between the characters including chop the dog. Actually, I drive a lot more safely when chop is on board :). And it's all so snappy on series x.

Wonder how better the updated version will be ? 4K 60 FPS ? Don't think I'll wait for it. Will replay again in a few years when it's cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished Call of the Sea last night, which was a very pleasant game to play over a few nights this Christmas. You play a woman who arrives on a mysterious island in search of her husband’s lost expedition, and basically solve elaborate puzzles over a half dozen discrete levels.

The puzzles (all in first person) are mostly solid, with one or two that are a tad obtuse. The environments are cool, and are just the right size to allow multi-tiered spaces to explore while being compact enough to make the large, multi-step puzzle solving enjoyable. The story’s grand, but not why you’re here.

While it’s an indie game, I do think its puzzling and adventure elements struck me as the angles Tomb Raider and Uncharted should’ve doubled down on rather than the endless shooting and cinematic platforming. It has that vibe of uncovering ancient secrets in a way that’s more involved than just automatically climbing cliffs or shooting waves of goons.

Anyway, not a GOTY or anything like that, but a throughly enjoyable and focused game that can be dusted off in a few sittings. On Game Pass so the cost of entry is low :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,680 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm afraid it would take an indie studio to take over Tomb Raider to restore it to it's once glorious self. The fascination with open world and uncharted-like gameplay in most games these days to justify the AAA budget is so annoying. Imagine Outer Wilds (not the fecking Obsidian RPG) was bought up by Ubisoft because they saw what a great idea it was and then added icons all over the map and a combat system because that's what sells.

I look forward to the indies of '21.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm afraid it would take an indie studio to take over Tomb Raider to restore it to it's once glorious self. The fascination with open world and uncharted-like gameplay in most games these days to justify the AAA budget is so annoying. Imagine Outer Wilds (not the fecking Obsidian RPG) was bought up by Ubisoft because they saw what a great idea it was and then added icons all over the map and a combat system because that's what sells.

I look forward to the indies of '21.

I really enjoyed the last 3 tomb raider games and would not like to see them go back to the ps1 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I enjoyed the reboot a lot but Rise of the Tomb Raider went to far with the collectibles, crafting and unlockables.

Speaking of Tomb Raider.

The last 3 games are on sale on Xbox store at the moment. 3, 6, 15 quid ish respectively.

Worth getting ? First 2 for 9 quid sound great. Will probably get them. How does the last one play ( shadow of the tr ) ?

Or, are these regularly on sale ???

Started GTA5 recently.

I can see why people were frustrated with RDR2. GTA5 is straight into the action with no let up. Very funny it is too. Trevor throwing out off the hip psychological advice and observations looks and sounds like Jordan Peterson :). Also, the 80s and Country radio stations are a perfect backdrop to the mayhem. The talk radio is brilliant too.The sheer amount of vehicles is incredible and the all handle so well. Love just flying the planes. It's brilliant how you can switch between the characters including chop the dog. Actually, I drive a lot more safely when chop is on board :). And it's all so snappy on series x.

Wonder how better the updated version will be ? 4K 60 FPS ? Don't think I'll wait for it. Will replay again in a few years when it's cheap.

It's one of my favourite games. But I played it originally on a 360 and then on PC(many times) so seen the best graphics available also afaik the updated version is just called GTA Online so it will just be an updated online version without the single player content.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Tomb Raider.

The last 3 games are on sale on Xbox store at the moment. 3, 6, 15 quid ish respectively.

Worth getting ? First 2 for 9 quid sound great. Will probably get them. How does the last one play ( shadow of the tr ) ?

Or, are these regularly on sale ???

Absolutely worth every penny at those prices, shadow is not as good as the other two but still worth it imo, Rise is my personal favorite.

I really enjoyed the last 3 tomb raider games and would not like to see them go back to the ps1 days.

The first TR in the new trilogy was alright but went too shooty shooty in it. 2nd tried to be open world and an Uncharted clone and failed at both, have up half through from the boredom and i heard Shadow is more boring than 2 so bit even gonna try that when it comes to plus unless I'm really really stuck for a game.

Bring back ol' triangle boobs I say.

Anyone play free to play Vigor? Worth the install?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The first TR in the new trilogy was alright but went too shooty shooty in it. 2nd tried to be open world and an Uncharted clone and failed at both, have up half through from the boredom and i heard Shadow is more boring than 2 so bit even gonna try that when it comes to plus unless I'm really really stuck for a game.

Bring back ol' triangle boobs I say.

I don't know, I enjoyed all of the three reboots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Tomb Raider reboot games are just infinitely frustrating to me - the worst excesses of modern blockbuster game design. There're the archetypal modern AAA games - glitzy, shallow and overlong. They fail at being Uncharted clones as they simply don't have the quality of writing, performances or direction Naughty Dog brought to the table even at their worst. The more open-ended levels are pure busywork, and the games generally simply get bogged down by endless combat sections that all blur into each other.

The worst thing is there are hints of what could be. I only played the first two games, but the optional tomb sections were an enjoyable teaser of what could've been. But that stuff feels pushed off to the side, and the vast majority of time in a playthrough is nowhere near as engaging or interesting.

Obviously earlier Tomb Raider games have no shortage of shortcomings, especially now. But there's a genuine sense of exploration and tomb diving - raiding, even :pac: - that are completely absent in the new ones, in favour of a sort of bland mush of early-mid 2010s design tropes.

I don't know, I enjoyed all of the three reboots.

Same here, nextgengamer get them and make up your own mind on them.

Same here, nextgengamer get them and make up your own mind on them.

Got the first two for 9 quid. On the backlog they go!

Obra Dinn is claaaaasss! Just solved my first 3 fates. Even though they were easy, I feel like I'm an actual detective instead of just following a usual 'detective mode' trail from clue to clue. I also feel like it's gonna get a lot tougher but I'm instantly sucked into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Looking to pick up cyberpunk 2077. I'm out of luck aren't I? Since they don't have it on the Ps Store anymore and it's technically non essential so I don't think Tesco would be selling it

• Advertisement
Advertisement