Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Yes, they continue to support their multiplayer games. However they all but abandon their single player games.

I mentioned that recently elsewhere
    Just finished Splinter Cell, the first game. Was shorter than I remember and hard as nails but had a lot of fun. Had to apply a mod to get it to modern resolutions. Looking through the PCG list of Splinter Cell games they've all had atrocious PC version releases. All of them with harsh DRM, glitches or even no digital release like with Pandora's Tomorrow. There's an unholy version of double agent on steam. Jesus Christ Ubisoft. All that money and can't even bother to do a proper release for any of the most iconic Tom Clancy titles. I feel bad for even giving them any money when I got the Prince of Persia trilogy recently.

Modders on a budget of €0 and only their spare time seem to be able to apply important quality of life fixes for these old titles. It boggles my mind that they don't have long-term customer sanctification initiatives like this to really hammer in that their brand is super reliable. It's nothing to them finanically. They could literally just ask the modder for permission and then patch it into the games so bare minimum of work. But nope; Enjoy no digital Pandora Tomorrow release because it's "too buggy" meanwhile eat Double Agent ass and 4:3 aspect ratio.

Pandora Tomorrow and similar actually had online multiplayer. Again it would be pittance to them to host a small cloud server for fans to continue to enjoy. Really frustrates me how they just don't give a single f'ing toss about their customers, legacy or games. Haven't bought anything they've made that's newer than a decade. I think Far Cry 2 was the latest game I bought from them DRM free on GOG which bugs out if you don't cap the framerate. Now they've got that shyte launcher that doesn't work with my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

1. Ezio
    2. Altair
    3 .Kassandra/Yer man
    4. Bayek
    5. Arno
    6. Edward
    7. Connor
    8. Frye Twins
    9. Michael Fassbender
    10. Shay Cormac

FTFY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Connor was a bland character but in a pretty decent story. But his blandness was compounded by playing the first few chapters as Haytem who was such a better and more interesting character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started back into bangai-o missile fury last night.

I never really got the bangai-o games but last night it just clicked.

It's such an amazing game. The controls are complex but once you master them there's nothing else like it. It's just all about balancing i-frames as there is so much **** on screen but there's no other feeling like wiping out an entire screen of enemies with a burst of 4000 missiles that brings the 360 to it's knees.

Each level is totally different from the last with each playing like a mini puzzle rather than it being a straight up shooter.

It's one of the best games ever made and it's a crying shame Treasure has disappeared from game development and also that this game isn't on the backwards compatibility list and stuck as a 360 digital download.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

martyos121 wrote: »
    Oddly enough Syndicate was one I really enjoyed, not quite up there with the Ezio trilogy or Black Flag, but well above the rest (not counting Origins and Odyssey since I don’t really consider them as part of the same series, excellent in their own right though).

Syndicate also had one of the best DLC packs I’ve played in Jack the Ripper, it’s really well done and genuinely chilling.

All I really want is Black Flag 2, but 50% more piratey.

I think the added features of the carriages and the grappling hook did more harm than good to Syndicate. You ended up zipping around the place too quickly to enjoy a lot of the atmosphere, architecture, incidental NPCs and scenery that AC is so good at. On top of that the side quests you had to do repeatedly were incredibly repetitive, doing the same thing in the same copy-pasted factory in a different part of the map. That's always a problem in AC but I noticed it most in Syndicate.

I think I personally was particularly disappointed because I lived in London at the time and was looking forward to exploring it like Paris in Unity (which I loved), but it never really felt like it established that since of place as you were just jumping around between different missions which were always in really generic warehouses and back alleys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone else old & crusty enough here that when seeing "Syndicate", they kept thinking of that old Bullfrog game? No, just me then? Great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

pixelburp wrote: »
    Anyone else old & crusty enough here that when seeing "Syndicate", they kept thinking of that old Bullfrog game? No, just me then? Great. :D

Now that was a great game. I loved Syndicate Wars too. I know they're supposedly meant to be played with a mouse, but I played them as co-op games on Megadrive and Playstation respectively and thought they were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Aye, i only played Syndicate Wars though, cant remember if it was on PC or Playstation that i played it..

Anytime i seen screens/gameplay of the XCOM game it always reminded me of Syndicate Wars.. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes

But in fairness to me it's the only syndicate people should be talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Meanwhile the other "Syndicate" sits on my shelf, still in its cellophane wrapper, eyeballing the other "Thief", wondering who will be the first to get played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

gizmo wrote: »
    Meanwhile the other "Syndicate" sits on my shelf, still in its cellophane wrapper, eyeballing the other "Thief", wondering who will be the first to get played.
    Play Syndicate first. I found Thief to be a depressing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Jaysus. I completely forgot that 2014(?) Thief game existed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gizmo wrote: »

Ohhhh yeah, there was a EA reboot. FPS wasn't it? Such a weird dredging of an old IP that. Never played the Thief reboot either: was it really as bad as it was said to be, or did post DLC give it some polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Jaysus. I completely forgot that 2014(?) Thief game existed.

There was a lot of excitement for that game and it just went totally flat immediately.

I don't think it was even down to bad reviews, just it being a great big meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I thought Thief was an alright game. Very stingy on achievements though(played on Xbox) if just playing the main story which I just did. Think I only got 3 or 4 achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It was actually 12 achievements but they were still stingy if only sticking to main story.

515178.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just grabbed Trovor saves the Universe from Epic, seems a fun platformer with a few fun twists. My only gripe after playing through a level, is that it seems you can only run one save game?? this sucks if you have a couple or more people who'd like to play the game

Ohhhh yeah, there was a EA reboot. FPS wasn't it? Such a weird dredging of an old IP that. Never played the Thief reboot either: was it really as bad as it was said to be, or did post DLC give it some polish?

Thief is only ok.

It's biggest sin is following up 3 of the best and most unique games ever made, non linear immersive Sims, with triple A linear dreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Since thief came up, this is one of my fave videos that resonates with me a lot on modern gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A guy I know setup a Youtube channel a month ago focusing on horror games (news, letsplays, interviews, etc.). It's good to support local and I usually hate reaction videos and rarely watch Lets Plays but this has been a joy to follow.

For any Until Dawn fans, he put up an interview with the writers Larry Fessenden & Graham Reznick. Really interesting hearing about the writing process behind it and the '10,000 page script', the PS3 version and their disappointment with the direction Man of Medan went as they were told "shorter games will make more money" even though they were ready to get stuck into a full Until Dawn 2 game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A guy I know setup a Youtube channel a month ago focusing on horror games (news, letsplays, interviews, etc.). It's good to support local and I usually hate reaction videos and rarely watch Lets Plays but this has been a joy to follow.

For any Until Dawn fans, he put up an interview with the writers Larry Fessenden & Graham Reznick. Really interesting hearing about the writing process behind it and the '10,000 page script', the PS3 version and their disappointment with the direction Man of Medan went as they were told "shorter games will make more money" even though they were ready to get stuck into a full Until Dawn 2 game.

[/YOUTUBE]xycZnCNJ_3Y[/YOUTUBE]

Already subbed to the channel, but must give that video a watch, sounds interesting :D

Gameriot is doing a Lets Play of Sleeping Dogs, forgot how great that game was. Highly recommend it if anyone hasn't played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's a shame there was no Sleeping Dogs 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think I spent about 3 hours on the tutorial level thanks to my lack of experience with beat 'em ups. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    It's a shame there was no Sleeping Dogs 2.

There's a live action film in the works. Donnie Yen (Ip Man) is playing Shen.

On a side note if you like martial arts beat em up films and have yet to see any of Ip Man films you should rectify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw someone's before and after of cleaning their PS4 on Reddit...

https://i.redd.it/lqp8cmhjdn351.jpg

I dread to think what the inside of mine looks like. Sounds like a jet engine.

Where in the Jesus was he playing it, in the middle of a war field? I opened mine recently thinking the same and it was spotless. I was hoping it looked like the above though as there wasn't enough to clean to make a difference to the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Where in the Jesus was he playing it, in the middle of a war field? I opened mine recently thinking the same and it was spotless. I was hoping it looked like the above though as there wasn't enough to clean to make a difference to the fans.

Did you just give the fan a wipe or did you clean out between the heatsink fins.

Not done this on a PS4 but I've done it on PC fans and my laptop but you can grease the brushless fans easily enough and it quietens then a good bit but that depends on the casue of the noise in the first place. Pop the blade out of the fan a a drop of light oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Can imagine the state of my PS4 as I smoke in the living room where it is set up. I've never opened up a console. I'm pretty crap when it comes to electronics or manual labour so would probably break the thing.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Did you just give the fan a wipe or did you clean out between the heatsink fins.

Not done this on a PS4 but I've done it on PC fans and my laptop but you can grease the brushless fans easily enough and it quietens then a good bit but that depends on the casue of the noise in the first place. Pop the blade out of the fan a a drop of light oil.

I can't remember exactly but i used cotton buds like a video i was following. Hardly any dust came off. Turns out the model i got was lumped into a great deal as a new model which 'fixed the fan noise issue' was released. I could try replace the thermal paste but that still mightn't fix it. I'm gonna give it one more clean at the weekend, see what i can do, thanks.

Advertisement