Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I can't remember exactly but i used cotton buds like a video i was following. Hardly any dust came off. Turns out the model i got was lumped into a great deal as a new model which 'fixed the fan noise issue' was released. I could try replace the thermal paste but that still mightn't fix it. I'm gonna give it one more clean at the weekend, see what i can do, thanks.

You can replace the fan too. Nothing about the fan that's specific to either console and same housing in each.

If you're taking apart the console to reapply the thermal paste you'll have the heat sink out fully so be sure to clean that fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fair play to Neil for rising above, something the Quartering could never do unless he can get a 12 minute video out of it to ensure monetisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It's a fairly genius PR move in fairness from Druckmann. It'll be brought up every time the Quartering has a go at him...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't use Twitter so it's really weird to see a tweet shared that's positive, empathic and compassionate. It's the polar opposite of the predominant volume of tweets I'll see in a day lol .

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't use Twitter so it's really weird to see a tweet shared that's positive, empathic and compassionate. It's the polar opposite of the predominant volume of tweets I'll see in a day lol .

Best I'd seen recently was Patton Oswalt raising money for a guy that was giving him shít on Twitter after going through his feed and realising the guy had medical bills he needed to get funding for.

https://www.comicsands.com/patton-oswalts-kind-and-generous-response-to-a-twitter-troll-may-have-just-saved-the-trolls-life-2627076351.html

I thought that was a classy move. I'd be slightly more cynical about ND's tweet because it's such a great PR move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Best I'd seen recently was Patton Oswalt raising money for a guy that was giving him shít on Twitter after going through his feed and realising the guy had medical bills he needed to get funding for.

https://www.comicsands.com/patton-oswalts-kind-and-generous-response-to-a-twitter-troll-may-have-just-saved-the-trolls-life-2627076351.html

I thought that was a classy move. I'd be slightly more cynical about ND's tweet because it's such a great PR move.

That's insane. It can be very hard to put human faces & stories on shítposters - here included - but that's a turning of the cheek I'd struggle with. Even before reading that I got the impression Oswalt was a thoroughly decent person; positively Hanksian. Had his own share of personal tragedy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Even though I'm one of the few people who hasn't played Skyrim, I was thinking what type of naming will they go with for Elder Scrolls 6? It's mainly known by people as Skyrim and rarely Elder Scrolls. So would they go with Skyrim 2?
    What other games have fallen into this problem?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Even though I'm one of the few people who hasn't played Skyrim, I was thinking what type of naming will they go with for Elder Scrolls 6? It's mainly known by people as Skyrim and rarely Elder Scrolls. So would they go with Skyrim 2?
    What other games have fallen into this problem?

The series usually is Elder Scrolls X: Region, named for whatever new region it's set in. Most fans just call the iteration by the Region name. So for 6, there are some places in the Elder Scrolls' world that haven't been visited by a main series title - while there's no reason they couldn't return to one from the really old versions.

The whole continent is mapped out so there are reasonable guesses; Elder Scrolls 6: Elsweyr for instance, visiting the predominantly desert region the Khajiit are from (aka, the Furry Provence). IIRC no main game has visited that part of the world yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Going by the pointless reveal trailer from E3 2018, many think it'll be Hammerfell. But sure that could have been any old generic landscape cobbled together for the "trailer".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the brief video clip shared under those tweets says all you need to know :pac:

https://twitter.com/nimo52846699/status/1270862403580854273?s=21

But seriously. Hope this little show of compassion shows TheQuartering the error of his outrage-mongering ways. Having to be perpetually offended and furious, churning out a half dozen outraged or cynical videos a day, must be catastrophic on one’s mental wellbeing and indeed basic human empathy levels.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Going by the pointless reveal trailer from E3 2018, many think it'll be Hammerfell. But sure that could have been any old generic landscape cobbled together for the "trailer".

Oh yeah I forgot there was a "reveal" trailer. I wonder if any of the "Beyond Skyrim" project will get released before number 6; that mod project is definitely biting off more than they can chew but what they've achieved so far has been pretty amazing. IIRC there are two regions nearly ready (Iliac Bay and Roscrea), with Morrowind not far behind.
    I think the brief video clip shared under those tweets say all you need to know :pac:

https://twitter.com/nimo52846699/status/1270862403580854273?s=21

But seriously. Hope this little show of compassion shows TheQuartering the error of his outrage-mongering ways. Having to be perpetually offended and furious, churning out a half dozen outraged or cynical videos a day, must be catastrophic on one’s mental wellbeing and indeed basic human empathy levels.

Truly Oscar Wide reborn with such peerless wit as "Cuckmann" :rolleyes: :D

That's the thing that gets to me. The relentless negativity displayed by people like that must make for such a shítty existence. Why would you ever want to be like that? Constantly hating on people and scouring the internet looking for morsels to feed your prejudices.

Lads like that need a good dose of MDMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fair play to Neil for rising above, something the Quartering could never do unless he can get a 12 minute video out of it to ensure monetisation.

They're both complete twats, they'd probably get along great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The series usually is Elder Scrolls X: Region, named for whatever new region it's set in. Most fans just call the iteration by the Region name. So for 6, there are some places in the Elder Scrolls' world that haven't been visited by a main series title - while there's no reason they couldn't return to one from the really old versions.

The whole continent is mapped out so there are reasonable guesses; Elder Scrolls 6: Elsweyr for instance, visiting the predominantly desert region the Khajiit are from (aka, the Furry Provence). IIRC no main game has visited that part of the world yet.

Yeah I knew they were named like that, just I mean going by name recognition, I think Skyrim is a more recognisable name these days than Elder Scrolls.
    Like I'm sure as far as some people are concerned, no other games came before it, the same way people just know Street Fighter 2 or GTA 3

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I was bored the other week (hey, it was a lockdown) and I watched a debate video between the Quartering and some other youtuber, can't remember their name. It was gas. The quartering lad tripped over his own contradictions for around 30 minutes and then essentially admitted to grifting. It made me chuckle in a way that only inane content during a lockdown can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's the thing that gets to me. The relentless negativity displayed by people like that must make for such a shítty existence. Why would you ever want to be like that? Constantly hating on people and scouring the internet looking for morsels to feed your prejudices.

Money.

Jim Sterling has said that his positive videos get a fraction of the views of a video where he angrily rants about EA, Activision etc. so he caters to the audience that want that.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Money.

Jim Sterling has said that his positive videos get a fraction of the views of a video where he angrily rants about EA, Activision etc. so her caters to the audience that want that.

I get the money is the main reason for it but I'd rather make my money doing absolutely anything but ranting about inane guff the whole time. It's got to wither your personality completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

J. Marston wrote: »
    Money.

Jim Sterling has said that his positive videos get a fraction of the views of a video where he angrily rants about EA, Activision etc. so he caters to the audience that want that.

I cant stand any of those ranting youtubers, the only one that does get a genuine laugh from me is zero punctuation, because he occasionally does like games and still gives them a load of stick for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

• Advertisement

I made it thirty seconds into that before giving up.

What was the point of it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I was bored the other week (hey, it was a lockdown) and I watched a debate video between the Quartering and some other youtuber, can't remember their name. It was gas. The quartering lad tripped over his own contradictions for around 30 minutes and then essentially admitted to grifting. It made me chuckle in a way that only inane content during a lockdown can provide.

this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

this one?

I don't know who these people are, and after watching a couple of minutes, I'm quite happy for that to remain the case.

Oh yeah I forgot there was a "reveal" trailer. I wonder if any of the "Beyond Skyrim" project will get released before number 6; that mod project is definitely biting off more than they can chew but what they've achieved so far has been pretty amazing. IIRC there are two regions nearly ready (Iliac Bay and Roscrea), with Morrowind not far behind.

Replying to my own post, as turns out Beyond Skyrim must have heard, releasing a Morrowind update. It's looking really good, I've no idea how they coordinate so many projects (though some Tamriel regions are more im lmbo than others; Black Marsh IIRC remains in pre-planning). Worth checking out their Iliac Bay and Elsweyr updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

this one?

No. Not that one.. The other youtuber in the one I watched was called Joel I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I started playing Plague: A tale of innocence tonight, free on XBGP for PC so why not - looked a little different. Well, what a splendid game! Gorgeous looking, decent voice acting and storyline, no hand holding or hints for puzzles [basically no HUD] and it's sucked me right in. On chapter 5 after first session - giving me a nice little break from TW3 for a bit. If you have XBL for either Xbox or PC there's no reason not to give it a go.

Last years Underrated Gem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/17/nothing-lidl-about-crowds-as-surge-makes-supermarket-scrap-ps4-sale-thecube

I was in Lidl once, I hate crowds and doubt I'll ever go back. They decided to sell PS4s for €95 to entice people back to their store after a 3 month lockdown. I imagine it was pretty much my version of hell.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/17/nothing-lidl-about-crowds-as-surge-makes-supermarket-scrap-ps4-sale-thecube

I was in Lidl once, I hate crowds and doubt I'll ever go back. They decided to sell PS4s for €95 to entice people back to their store after a 3 month lockdown. I imagine it was pretty much my version of hell.

Ah, that's what I love about France, that striking / rioting is built into their psyche (AFAIK they teach civil disobedience in schools). They'll war on the streets over anything - including discount PS4s it seems!

Wonder how many units they really had; my understanding is they often stock very few of those super-discounted items in single stores. So unless you're one of the first 4, 5 people there you're outta luck.

Advertisement