Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    ^ Did you actually play Days Gone?

I'm just doing some high level trolling.

And I did play it. It's everything I hate about dull open world games in one mediocre package. It just does absolutely nothing to stand out which in my books is worse than aiming high and failing.

Now I'm off to play disaster report 4. Now, that's how you do jank.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got a ping that someone was talking **** about Days Gone. Oh, just Retro? False alarm then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I got a ping that someone was talking **** about Days Gone. Oh, just Retro? False alarm then.

512205.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    512205.jpg

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

And I did play it. It's everything I hate about dull open world games in one mediocre package. It just does absolutely nothing to stand out which in my books is worse than aiming high and failing.

I sincerely doubt you played Days Gone and if you did, you didn't play more than an hour of it. It's a game that shot itself in the foot in terms of having you too weak at the beginning with a piece of crap motorbike and not introducing its most interesting mechanics until later in the game. Despite it's problems at the start, by the time I got to horde killing stage, I loved the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm still waiting for days gone to drop in price to that sweet €20 spot, i'm surprised it hasnt yet tbh.. God of war was €20 within less than a year and that was feckin GOTY :eek::confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Retro tends to lash out if you diss Nintendo, Zelda or Ace Combat 4. When you see a post like that you can almost hear him typing a diatribe on something we all love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Anyone in here have a Facebook/Youtube/Twitch/Mixer gaming stream they want to promote. Should the old forum be reactivated, as streaming has gone very mainstream now, and everyone is doing it.

I myself have recently set up a Facebook Gaming page and would like more local followers. I would also like to support other players here, and I'm usually generous when it comes to financial support for those trying to get ahead and need the encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Switch problem isn't really the shovelware. Its discoverability. There is so little curation or thought in what is presented to you, new released bombard the store and the better games and swamped under a flood of titles.

I don't care if someone puts rubbish games on the store, but it has to be easier to promote and enable customers to find the gems and the well received titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, I don't have any issue with the shovelware myself, it's the complete inability to discover gems within it. The interface feels thrown together and for all the criticisms for algorithms, the store needs a few of them. Heck, I don't even think you can view a list of your wishlisted items - right? I don't think I'm being dim like, I can't even track what I've popped on the wishlist.

• Advertisement

I sincerely doubt you played Days Gone and if you did, you didn't play more than an hour of it. It's a game that shot itself in the foot in terms of having you too weak at the beginning with a piece of crap motorbike and not introducing its most interesting mechanics until later in the game. Despite it's problems at the start, by the time I got to horde killing stage, I loved the game.

Yeah I heard it's a game where you have to play through 40 hours of the most boring and generic open world guff before you unlock abilities that make the game slightly more tolerable.

I'd call that awful game design and it's true, I noped right out of there because it was wasting my time and I had far better games to play. And as I don't much like games that follow the standard open world template I doubt it would have held much for me.

IMO the critical response from reviewers was spot on about this game.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Heck, I don't even think you can view a list of your wishlisted items - right? I don't think I'm being dim like, I can't even track what I've popped on the wishlist.

You can. If you go to your profile (top right in the shop) there's a wishlist section. I usually just go on once every few weeks and wishlist stuff. Find I can keep abreast of the avalanche of shovelware that way. But yeah, definitely could do with curation, although there's not a lot of hidden gems actually in the store.

For all the flak the switch store gets it's a damn site better than the disaster in the 3DS. It's impossible to even browse a list of most games.

Not that that excuses the switch store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can. If you go to your profile (top right in the shop) there's a wishlist section. I usually just go on once every few weeks and wishlist stuff. Find I can keep abreast of the avalanche of shovelware that way. But yeah, definitely could do with curation, although there's not a lot of hidden gems actually in the store.

*mind-blown gif*

Yeah, see it now, but the fact it's hidden behind a bunch of clicks into your settings kinda proves the point lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ERG89 wrote: »
    Animal Crossing is doing really well but I find every iteration of it to be basically like Nintendo's FIFA; basically a few bells and whistles added to the same game.

A few bells wouldn’t get you very far with Animal Crossing... you’d be paying them to that capitalist overlord Tom Nook before you know it ;)

First DLC mission in Ace 7 down. Hands are sweaty. That's it for me tonight. Finished with 3 missiles left. Also said boss that was murdering wasn't even close to the end of the mission!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Been playing my Switch way more as well, finished Links Awakening which was great and almost done BOTW now.

Only thing I've noticed is the games for it are relatively expensive, and much more difficult to find cheap like other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Now I'm off to play disaster report 4. Now, that's how you do jank.

Black to BOTW and hitting the same four blobs of jelly until your sword breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

probably the funniest and most concise videogame review I've ever seen

Speaking of garbage on the Switch store, Jim Sterling's latest video is how he spotted at least one infamous "asset flip" game on the platform. Here's hoping this isn't a thin end of the wedge scenario but sad to see those rebadged Unity packs finding their way on another system

• Advertisement

Started FFXIII-2 again last night on the PC with a view to actually finishing it this time.

PC is definitely the way to play this even if it needs some serious modding. You have to mod it to run at 60 FPS as it's limited to console FPS caps and even drops frames when there is no need to. Also gets rid of some chugging due to some awful controller code in the game. There's other mods as well to fix broken graphical effects and stop the game crashing, it thinks your machine has a 2GB RAM limit (like a console) and if you go beyond 2GB RAM utilisation it crashes.

Real grade A Square Enix conversion. Just like Nier Automata. At least the community is there to fix these issues.

Anyway once it's fan patched the game works beautifully in 60 FPS and its a much better feeling game than on console.

People really should give this game more of a chance. Whatever your feelings about FF13, FF13-2 is a much, much better game. The story is absolute nonsense but it's just so much more fun. The battle system is still top notch but the game is improved so much by the non-linear structure, actual level design, interesting mechanics outside of battle and some monster catching mechanics. It's just a blast to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hi guys doing another quiz over on forum games.

PEEHS: Videogame Picture Quiz

It's like Pointless where you guess the videogame boxart you think the least people will pick. PM me your answers

Started FFXIII-2 again last night on the PC with a view to actually finishing it this time.

PC is definitely the way to play this even if it needs some serious modding. You have to mod it to run at 60 FPS as it's limited to console FPS caps and even drops frames when there is no need to. Also gets rid of some chugging due to some awful controller code in the game. There's other mods as well to fix broken graphical effects and stop the game crashing, it thinks your machine has a 2GB RAM limit (like a console) and if you go beyond 2GB RAM utilisation it crashes.

Real grade A Square Enix conversion. Just like Nier Automata. At least the community is there to fix these issues.

Anyway once it's fan patched the game works beautifully in 60 FPS and its a much better feeling game than on console.

People really should give this game more of a chance. Whatever your feelings about FF13, FF13-2 is a much, much better game. The story is absolute nonsense but it's just so much more fun. The battle system is still top notch but the game is improved so much by the non-linear structure, actual level design, interesting mechanics outside of battle and some monster catching mechanics. It's just a blast to play.

It's been sat on my shelf for years after I got it for buttons and never touched it. Might actually dig it out this week. Good to hear it's improved on the first one.

Actually if memory serves this got enhanced visually on the One X and 60fps. Theres a side by side on youtube I think.

Just ignore the story. It's utter guff.

FF13-3 is excellent as well, it's pretty much a spiritual sequel to Valkyrie Profile. It's timed though but most of the fun is in learning how to break the time system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ha yes same here. 2nd run through. I can't find anything else on the Switch thats worth playing. Just re-releases or kids games.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I tried FFXIII-2 way back when on a i5-4690k and r9390 and it was maybe the worst PC port I ever tried. Got a 9700k and 2060 now so should have a better time with it but from what I heard it's basically single threaded or something so there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

The Nal wrote: »
    Ha yes same here. 2nd run through. I can't find anything else on the Switch thats worth playing. Just re-releases or kids games.

Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Kirby Star Allies, Mario + Rabbids, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade 2, Yoshi's Crafted World.

Wealth of good stuff on the Switch for all tastes that should appeal to anyone. Although if by kids games you mean games with cute graphics and no violence, well then that's your own prejudice to get over as it means you are missing out on some game of the generation contenders.

I tried FFXIII-2 way back when on a i5-4690k and r9390 and it was maybe the worst PC port I ever tried. Got a 9700k and 2060 now so should have a better time with it but from what I heard it's basically single threaded or something so there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Yeah it was awful and they never patched it. And the fan patching isn't easy either, one of the most important ones is pretty low level and windows defender keeps flagging it as a threat so need to add it to exceptions. But it will run at 60 FPS. If I remember correctly the game would stutter ever 10 seconds if you didn't have a controller connected as it was checking for one and the game had slowdown hard coded into it so would slow down where it expected heavy strain on a console even if your PC could handle it.

Saying that there are still baffling moments when the game drops to 30 fps when fan patched. I'm on a 1070 at 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They did some really great work with them on the Xbox One X. I ran through the first two again last year and they look like current generation games there.

• Advertisement

Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Kirby Star Allies, Mario + Rabbids, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade 2, Yoshi's Crafted World.

Wealth of good stuff on the Switch for all tastes that should appeal to anyone. Although if by kids games you mean games with cute graphics and no violence, well then that's your own prejudice to get over as it means you are missing out on some game of the generation contenders.

I liked Luigi's Mansion 3 up to a point; but its core loop got a little bit repetitive after a relatively short period of time. The
    sewer
    floor was super tedious, and overall feels like a game whose (otherwise pretty excellent) gimmick can't really sustain itself past a couple of levels. Not a €60 game in other words.

Advertisement