Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat earth believers

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

branie2 wrote: »
    Christopher Columbus proved the earth was round

How did he prove that?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Carry wrote: »
    There are actually flat earthers abound. They are dead serious, it seems:
    https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

Their arguments are delightfully bonkers:
    https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

I especially like this one:

Interesting times ahead considering climate change and melting ice ... :D

Well, they claim to be serious. That doesn't mean they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have evidence

I have counter evidence.

If the earth is flat, explain mountains ?

Checkmate.

And besides https://i.imgur.com/dSAs5OZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I work with a born again Christian who believes in creationism and will also tell us she gets prophetic dreams.
    She will also start praying and quote from the bible to us while work.

Quote Timothy 2:12 back at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Which timothy? There are two letters to him in the Bible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Two letters and he doesnt even write back.

Anyway - flat earth is a bit old and boring. Its been done to death. Much cooler is people who have an alternative chronology of earths history. Gary kasparov is one of these by the way. Theres different ones but for example.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

Just tell him to go to the coast and watch a ship sail over the horizon as opposed to simply getting smaller and smaller until invisible to even the most powerful binoculars.

But, I really think he's having out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Quote Timothy 2:12 back at her.
    branie2 wrote: »
    Which timothy? There are two letters to him in the Bible.

this one presumably
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

If you want to hear crazy, watch Jesus Camp on Netflix, people (especially children) can be brainwashed into believing anything. Theres one bloke, I think his name is Ted Haggard, who comes across as a sociopath, and he runs a mega church. It's terrifying that so many people, now grown up and of voting age, have a completely skewed world view because of indoctrination, God created the world in 7 days etc.

Haggard appeared in The God Delusion: The Root of all evil, and after being interviewed by Richard Dawkins, roared at him to get off his church property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

He was also found out to be a fan of male hoors and the crystal meth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Haggard#Scandal_and_removal_from_job

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I judge people by the friends they keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I read about The Highgate Vampire incident (basically lying nut jobs) a while back and apart from all the regular nonsense there were two people involved in it the nonsense (Sean Manchester and David Farrant) that really stood out.
    The things that people can delude themselves into thinking happened is fascinating.

Carry wrote: »
    There are actually flat earthers abound. They are dead serious, it seems:
    https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

Their arguments are delightfully bonkers:
    https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

I especially like this one:

Interesting times ahead considering climate change and melting ice ... :D

The White Walkers are coming from behind that wall!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just tell him to go to the coast and watch a ship sail over the horizon as opposed to simply getting smaller and smaller until invisible to even the most powerful binoculars.
    Everyone knows there's less air the higher up you go.

So the atmosphere acts like a giant lens thicker in the middle because there's more air and thinner at the top. And like a mirage this bends the rays of light which is why the horizon appears to curve even though it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

What do flat earthers fear the most?

Sphere itself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Any excuse to roll this back out.....

FtGg0oI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Some Flat-Earthers say Monday’s solar eclipse just proved the world isn't round
    The Flat-Earthers questioned why they were told not to look at the eclipse directly. They also questioned how an object could cast a shadow smaller than itself
    http://nationalpost.com/news/world/some-flat-earthers-believe-the-solar-eclipse-proved-the-world-isnt-round-heres-why/wcm/ffacd3e9-5569-45e0-b494-85173f5486a2

donald-trump-eclipse.jpg?auto=compress&crop=faces,top&fit=crop&h=421&q=55&w=750

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Read a book or something will you.
    Or wikipedia. For the love of Jesus.
    Start with Copernicus.
    Actually go way back before Copernicus. His deal was proving the heliocentric theory of the solar system. That the earth was a sphere was established by the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians and was seen as a given from then on. The first globe map of the Earth was over two thousand years ago(Greek). IIRC it was either Plato or Aristotle who described the earth as like a leather ball floating in space. They even had a good go at measuring how big it was*. A few figures were suggested. A couple were pretty accurate. The more accepted one wasn't and underestimated the size of the globe. It was this figure that convinced Columbus and others that on the other side of the Atlantic was the Indies. Finding the Americas and the Pacific in the way was a bit of a problem... Either way a flat earther hanging around in 10th century Europe would have been seen as an idiot by learned folks.

*IIRC Stick a pole in the ground measure the length of the shadow at noon, do it again 20 miles away, that gives you the two angles and one length of the side of a triangle and after that with a bit of Pythagorus going on you can work out how big the globe is and the distance to the sun while you're at it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They go round in circles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im pretty sure the argument they use for not being able to reach the edge is Nasa would stop them and wipe their memories.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the argument they use for not being able to reach the edge is Nasa would stop them and wipe their memories.......

how did that work before NASA existed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

To my HUGE surprise one of my friends ( know him for a few years) believes that the earth is flat, has a dome, and as such, we were never on the moon.

It's possible the moon landing was a hoax, but it would probably be every bit as hard to fake it as to go there - so it's not very likely.
    But that being said - why has no one gone back there in so long? I'm 43 years old - no one has stepped foot on the moon on my watch, it's 45 years ago that the last man stepped on the moon. Look at the technology in a 45 year old telly, plane, car, washing machine, camera - whatever. I'm not convinced of a faked moon landing by any stretch, but I can certainly see why the theory arose in the first place and why it still persists.

As for the earth being flat - take him to beach and have him watch a ship appear or disappear over the horizon. Ask him how and why he thinks it's done that, if the earth is actually flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Surprisingly there are some holes in their logic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

its just a thought experiment that people (from both sides) get far to worked up about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Wossack wrote: »
    its just a thought experiment that people (from both sides) get far to worked up about
    It is fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Illuminati.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Candie wrote: »
    He doesn't really believe it. It's something he says because he believes it makes him look different, interesting and special.

He'll defend it for hours to anyone and talk about it for weeks because he likes being the centre of attention, not because he really thinks anyone can fall off the edge of the world.

I've met a few of that kind, and they fool nobody. They all want people to believe they're special and insightful, but they're just attention seeking idiots.

It's the same thing with the "Elvis is alive" brigade as well.
    People make money out of peddling this ****e too!
    Thats the real deal behind it MONEY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

hm. I just pined him there to see what his excuse is today as he was adamant that a volcanic eruption of one of the caldera's (namely Yellowstone) was to happen yesterday. Did anyone hear anything about that? i haven't heard a bang so far...

Advertisement