Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat earth believers

Options
  • 21-08-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

To my HUGE surprise one of my friends ( know him for a few years) believes that the earth is flat, has a dome, and as such, we were never on the moon.
    He is adamant he's right...I'm just about done laughing here but..any opinions ? I mean - how do you convince someone that the earth is round...you can even see it on Long distance flights...>sigh<.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I have evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Suggest going on a trip to see the edge ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

To my HUGE surprise one of my friends ( know him for a few years) believes that the earth is flat, has a dome, and as such, we were never on the moon.
    He is adamant he's right...I'm just about done laughing here but..any opinions ? I mean - how do you convince someone that the earth is round...you can even see it on Long distance flights...>sigh<.

Just tell him to walk to the edge and prove its flat then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You won't.

Just ask him opinion on vaccines and chem trails, and let him shitetalk himself to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

it's turtles all the way down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

discworld-by-terry-pratchett.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

He's right about the moon thing at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

if-the-earth-was-flat-cats-would-have-pushed-everything-21413617.png

He doesn't really believe it. It's something he says because he believes it makes him look different, interesting and special.

He'll defend it for hours to anyone and talk about it for weeks because he likes being the centre of attention, not because he really thinks anyone can fall off the edge of the world.

I've met a few of that kind, and they fool nobody. They all want people to believe they're special and insightful, but they're just attention seeking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Candie wrote: »

He doesn't really believe it. It's something he says because he believes it makes him look different, interesting and special.

He'll defend it for hours to anyone and talk about it for weeks because he likes being the centre of attention, not because he really thinks anyone can fall off the edge of the world.

I've met a few of that kind, and they fool nobody. They all want people to believe they're special and insightful, but they're just attention seeking idiots.
    Lol. I just followed the first posters advice and told him to get into a car and start drivving.And to ring me before he fell off. >sigh<:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have never met them, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Is it any worse than believing in 76 genders

• Registered Users Posts: 34,580 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    He's right about the moon thing at least.

Watch out for Buzz Aldrin, he may deck you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Christopher Columbus proved the earth was round

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

He's having you on, and succeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I mean, this is obviously how the dinosaurs became extinct.

a8yLGY6_700b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

There two different beliefs. Never having gone to the moon,is different to believing the earth is flat.

There is evidence Nasa has faked moon/Apollo photographs. Why they did this not sure? The evidence we never went to the moon is not strong though. The Soviets/ Russians would have said something by now. We as species did not just go one time to the moon, we went there numerous times, and many Nasa employees and astronauts were involved in the moon project for decades. This would be hard to fake.

Flat earth. Moon looks like a circle, does it not when you look it at night. If it was flat surely the shape would resemble this shape at night? If we talking about the surface of the planet, yes it is flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Just tell him to walk to the edge and prove its flat then :P

Day and night cycles ( Sun revolves around the earth) and different time zones countries experience compared to another, is all the evidence you need the earth is circular and shaped like a ball. Inside our Earth the land surface is flat there is no land shaped circular in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

branie2 wrote: »
    Christopher Columbus proved the earth was round

Read a book or something will you.
    Or wikipedia. For the love of Jesus.
    Start with Copernicus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

:dizzy: he's now saying it's not exactly flat but shaped like a saucer and the northpole is the rim so we can't fall off...#IGIVEUP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russell

Alternatively...

Oi! No! The world is round, it's been round, and it will be round forever! - Stephen Hawking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

how do you convince someone that the earth is round

If the Earth was flat and there was a real risk of falling off, it would be important to convince round-earthers that they are wrong, but the Earth is round and flat earthers are not in any danger.

It's a bit like God - if the God of the Bible existed, it would be important that everyone believes it, but God, and afterlives are not real so people can believe or not, makes no odds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As far as I can tell, before the internet the last people to believe that the earth was flat were in ancient Babylon some 3k years ago. So either your friend is a really insightful clasdical scholar who is expounding on their beliefs, or else hes had too much internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Get him a login, this place needs a new idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I suspect that for at least some "flat earthers" it's simply a familiar sort of attention-getting behaviour. Ditto for those who claim the U.S. never went to the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I work with a born again Christian who believes in creationism and will also tell us she gets prophetic dreams.
    She will also start praying and quote from the bible to us while work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

There are actually flat earthers abound. They are dead serious, it seems:
    https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

Their arguments are delightfully bonkers:
    https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

I especially like this one:
    The earth is surrounded on all sides by an ice wall that holds the oceans back. This ice wall is what explorers have named Antarctica. Beyond the ice wall is a topic of great interest to the Flat Earth Society. To our knowledge, no one has been very far past the ice wall and returned to tell of their journey. What we do know is that it encircles the earth and serves to hold in our oceans and helps protect us from whatever lies beyond

Interesting times ahead considering climate change and melting ice ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Academic wrote: »
    I suspect that for at least some "flat earthers" it's simply a familiar sort of attention-getting behaviour. Ditto for those who claim the U.S. never went to the moon.

It also makes them feel special, to them everyone else is wrong and they are the only people to "get it".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Does he watch football on Sky Sports? Ask him to explain satellite TV or how eclipses work or seasons or why summer daylight is longer than winter days. Or why can't you see My Everest from Ireland?

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Does he watch football on Sky Sports? Ask him to explain satellite TV or how eclipses work or seasons or why summer daylight is longer than winter days. Or why can't you see My Everest from Ireland?

Or just if he has GPS in the car, or Google Earth on his phone, or a million other things that prove him wrong. Not that it'll make any difference, he stands out as a flat-earther, that's why he says he believes it.

Advertisement