Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrorist attack in Finland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

shaunr68 wrote: »

So this interior minister is completely speculating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭gw80

wakka12 wrote: »
    So this interior minister is completely speculating

You seem to be more outraged that a politician is not being politically correct than the fact people have been stabbed to death, for whatever reason.

Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

This post has been deleted.
    Well, as others have already indicated, “Finnish authorities have said, however, that it is too early to describe the incident as terrorism.”

It’s always possible that it’s just a mentally ill person inspired to commit a copycat crime based on what’s been in the news lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Poland or Hungary etc.. Don't have a problem with terrorism. Wonder why huh.

So would a truck ramming into people in the streets of Budapest or a knife-wielding man stabbing people in Budapest change your opinions on this whole thing at all?

Just because Poland or Hungary hasn't had a major attack yet means nothing. Ireland's been immune so far, yet our Govt. is nothing like Poland's or Hungary's.

The reality is, the whole western world is a bloody target right now and as much as I hate saying we should 'accept it', what other choice do we have?

Most of these attackers have EU Passports, so the idea that we can just deport them is gone. Outside of increasing policing and counter terrorism funds and powers, there's little else Govt.'s can do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

35000 Muslims live in Poland, 32000 in Hungary.

Less than there are in Ireland.
    If you add them up it would just about reach our figure of 63,000.

Intolerance is a great thing. It keeps your country safe

gw80 wrote: »
    You seem to be more outraged that a politician is not being politically correct than the fact people have been stabbed to death, for whatever reason.

Get a grip

If you look at my post history youll see I care more about events like this probably more than most people.
    Also you wouldnt even be posting in this thread had there not been a chance this was islamic terror, nor would a thread about it even exist if islamic terror had been ruled out as motive
    Get off your high horse

Pointing out the a suspect was foreign looking is just strange, nothing to do with PC. I wasnt outraged, I simply found it very odd that a government official would even allude to a suspects physical appearance

Surprised theres been no updates yet.
    The attack is being treated as terror related and the suspect is an 18 year old moroccan male.
    http://news.sky.com/story/finland-terror-stabbings-suspect-is-moroccan-man-18-10995118

Would really be naive to say this couldn't happen in an Irish city. Attacks in Barcelona, Stockhom and now a Finnish city and foiled terror plots in norway and madrid means anywhere in european is a target. Not just cities of countries involved in middle eastern military operations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Would really be naive to say this couldn't happen in an Irish city. Attacks in Barcelona, Stockhom and now a Finnish city and foiled terror plots in norway and madrid means anywhere in european is a target. Not just cities of countries involved in middle eastern military operations

Add Russia to the list. Eight stabbed this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Seems Finnish police have detained 4 Moroccans and are looking for a 5th. #nothingtodowithislam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

fg1406 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is living in Turku and she messaged me to say she is safe. She claimed it's a local crime and not a "terror" attack as is being portrayed.

Claimed wrong unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Add Russia to the list. Eight stabbed this morning

Sorry no room left on the map:

-euww2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

So would a truck ramming into people in the streets of Budapest or a knife-wielding man stabbing people in Budapest change your opinions on this whole thing at all?

Just because Poland or Hungary hasn't had a major attack yet means nothing. Ireland's been immune so far, yet our Govt. is nothing like Poland's or Hungary's.

The reality is, the whole western world is a bloody target right now and as much as I hate saying we should 'accept it', what other choice do we have?

Most of these attackers have EU Passports, so the idea that we can just deport them is gone. Outside of increasing policing and counter terrorism funds and powers, there's little else Govt.'s can do now.

It won't happen in Poland or Hungary. Muslim immigrants would be scared to do it there, as they know that, unlike Western Europeans, locals won't be lighting candles and twitting cats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

longshanks wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that the attacker was a top-level scientist who definitely wasn't a Muslim...:rolleyes:

I'd hazard a guess this thread will follow a boringly predictable path.
    The only thing predictable is these Islamic terrorist attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

It won't happen in Poland or Hungary. Muslim immigrants would be scared to do it there, as they know that, unlike Western Europeans, locals won't be lighting candles and twitting cats.

I doubt that would deter an ISIS militant. What difference would it make when you do at the end whether the locals react badly? If anything, that's the best visuals you could have, 'these Europeans hate us!'

What I would say is you are less likely to be radicalised there because not everyone is treating you as a special part of the multicultural project, you're a grunt like everyone else, and keep that crap to yourself.

scopper wrote: »
    What I would say is you are less likely to be radicalised there because not everyone is treating you as a special part of the multicultural project, you're a grunt like everyone else, and keep that crap to yourself.

Multiculturalism has nothing to do with it at all. Pretty much all these radical muslims born in Europe come from the ghettos in big cities like Paris, Marseille, Brussels etc. Even in Cambrils where it has one of the highest populations of muslims per capita in Spain, the authorities in the Muslim community can't track them because they don't even attend their Mosques.

Stop acting like Muslims are given preferential treatment in society cause that's plainly untrue. I treat muslims I know the exact same as everyone else, and that's just what they want. But if most of these lads are raised in poverty with little opportunities in life, it's easy to see how they can become radicalised because the same happens the world over with other groups, just like white supremacists in the US.

Economic circumstances are the catalyst for radicalism of all kinds imo.

Multiculturalism has nothing to do with it at all. Pretty much all these radical muslims born in Europe come from the ghettos in big cities like Paris, Marseille, Brussels etc. Even in Cambrils where it has one of the highest populations of muslims per capita in Spain, the authorities in the Muslim community can't track them because they don't even attend their Mosques.

Stop acting like Muslims are given preferential treatment in society cause that's plainly untrue. I treat muslims I know the exact same as everyone else, and that's just what they want. But if most of these lads are raised in poverty with little opportunities in life, it's easy to see how they can become radicalised because the same happens the world over with other groups, just like white supremacists in the US.

I live in Turku. They arrived in Finland in early 2016 seeking asylum as reported on local news.

The police had to hold back Finns who wanted to beat the crap out of the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure didn't some illegals arrive on the back of a truck here a week or two ago, no passports to say who they are or where they came from.

Asylum seekers how are ya, if they were genuine they would have the necessary documentation with them.

We need to stop using our Navy as a free taxi service in the Med and improve our border security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Its a myth that all radical ideologies arise from economic hardship or that they are the main fuel for radicalism. Most of the 9/11 hijackers came from relatively well off, if not affluent backgrounds. Many of the recent perpetrators of terrorism had held down respectable jobs or had been accepted to university. Many are not from the ghetto, even though often they take refuge in them. And the video above highlights that the white supremacists in the US are not the downtrodden poor that you claim. Plenty of economically depressed groups and regions around the world that don't turn to hateful ideologies. A bit simplistic trying to append the social class theory onto all social phenomena. Not everything can be crammed through the narrow prism of a such a confined philosophical or theoretical template. Fact is hate and radicalism are often borne of circumstances not related to material well being.

Islamic state have claimed responsibility for the attack in Russia , though the suspect is believed to have had mental health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Islamic state have claimed responsibility for the attack in Russia , though the suspect is believed to have had mental health issues

Haven't they all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Haven't they all.

It'd make sense, though.

If I was targeting impressionable people to do bullshi things, in order to advance a cause, people with mental health issues would be high on my agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

I remember a time (pre-9/11, to be exact), like I'm sure most here do, where I didn't even really think about Islam, never mind think of it as linked to the reshaping of western society as we know it. So, as Baldrick put it - how did we get from one state of affairs....to the other state of affairs?

briany wrote: »
    I remember a time (pre-9/11, to be exact), like I'm sure most here do, where I didn't even really think about Islam, never mind think of it as linked to the reshaping of western society as we know it. So, as Baldrick put it - how did we get from one state of affairs....to the other state of affairs?

I doubt many people in Britain thought much of Ireland before the IRA started their bombing campaign over there and the Army was deployed up the North. I know I'll get slated for comparing the IRA to ISIS as the IRA were more 'justified' in their methods according to some, but it's a relevant example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

They'll claim whatever they can. Doesn't mean that the culprit was a fully signed up member. If you're suicidal, mentally unstable and murderous then it's quite handy for them if you're also of Muslim extract in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I doubt many people in Britain thought much of Ireland before the IRA started their bombing campaign over there and the Army was deployed up the North. I know I'll get slated for comparing the IRA to ISIS as the IRA were more 'justified' in their methods according to some, but it's a relevant example.

Yes and it was deliberate, bombing campaigns in Britain may have been callous but they had a logical underpinning. I would even argue that the Al-Qaida's bombing of the Madrid trains was "logical" to their goals - causing Spain to withdraw from Iraq.
    The latest wave of attacks does not, even Al-Qaida have been critical of the philosophy behind a lot of ISIS actions yet it appears they have little shortage of locally sourced recruits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I dunno. In the 80s there was the unrest in Iran, Lebanon and Libya, there were the hostage takings (and some killings) by Islamist extremists, the Iranian embassy siege in London; Lockerbie. Israel and Palestine was a constant. Ditto in the 70s - starting with the Munich Olympics hostage takings and subsequent killings.

As of September 2001 though, things have spiralled even more.

Advertisement