Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrorist attack in Finland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

LeBash wrote: »
    Yup, shoot 4 in Ballymun and you're from some place called gang land. Stab 1 person and be brown and you're a terrorist

Its an ideological thing, not a racial thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

chupacabra wrote: »
    Its an ideological thing, not a racial thing.

Sure you hear kids in the north strand saying they want to be gangbangers when they grow up the rascals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

2smiggy wrote: »
    is any attack any where a terrorist attack these days ? even one fellow with a knife ?

A terrorist attack is defined as a calculated use of violence or a threat of violence against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear.

So yes, one man with a knife can be considered a terror attack. It depends on the motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I very much doubt it is ethnic Finns travelling to join ISIS.
    Are we back to this again though? It doesn't make a blind bit of difference if they're "ethnic" - they are Finnish citizens. The kind that closing borders will do nothing against. That's why those people need to be the focus!!!
    chupacabra wrote: »
    Photos from the scene show one clearly dead person lying on the ground covered up.

Unless it's confirmed from a legit source though, I'll wait. Too much **** being spread online to take it at face value. Hell, there were screenshots from Black Mirror trending on Twitter yesterday as being from Barcelona.

EDIT: One confirmed dead now https://twitter.com/tassagency_en/status/898564513670332416

Yeah it is a bit of a sausage fest in here isn't it.

Free pork sausages for all civil people in here

Not all of us swing sausages! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

A friend of mine is living in Turku and she messaged me to say she is safe. She claimed it's a local crime and not a "terror" attack as is being portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Are you involved in the investigation, OP? How do you know it's a "terrorist" attack?

fxotoole wrote: »
    Are you involved in the investigation, OP? How do you know it's a "terrorist" attack?

Are you an authority on reliable sources and opinion?

Are you an authority on reliable sources and opinion?

No but I know better than to jump to conclusions

No but I know better than to jump to conclusions

Oh how morally pontificating of you sir. You seem annoyed we have snack bars, Khlav khalash and sausages, they might calm you down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/898545333222989825
    Shouts in this video:
    1st "...pois"= ..Get out
    2nd "Varo!"=Watch out (s.)
    3rd "Varokaa!" =Watch out (pl.)

Source? can you speak finnish? Because I'm watching a periscope of a finnish guy and he says the attacker was shouting allah akubar

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YqGomVYaPgxv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Oh how morally pontificating of you sir. You seem annoyed we have snack bars, Khlav khalash and sausages, they might calm you down.

We also have crab juice or Mountain Dew

No one ever goes for Mountain Dew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

We also have crab juice or Mountain Dew

No one ever goes for Mountain Dew

That's cos it's too wet

I'll have one Allahu Ackbar, hold the racism.

Source? can you speak finnish? Because I'm watching a periscope of a finnish guy and he says the attacker was shouting allah akubar

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YqGomVYaPgxv

There are literally hundreds of Finnish people on Twitter saying it.

I'll have one Allahu Ackbar, hold the racism.

Beer it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

fg1406 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is living in Turku and she messaged me to say she is safe. She claimed it's a local crime and not a "terror" attack as is being portrayed.

I don't know, there seems to be more than one suspect which wouldn't suggest a "local" crime but maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nordicgael

police confirmed 8 people stabbed. two people have died other 6 in hospital.
    One attacker- male -shot in leg by police - hes alive and in police custody.police have not identified the attacker yet.
    3 of the injured people are in intensive care in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't know, there seems to be more than one suspect which wouldn't suggest a "local" crime but maybe.

There's only one suspect which suggests exactly that

Nordicgael wrote: »
    police confirmed 8 people stabbed. two people have died other 6 in hospital.
    One attacker- male -shot in leg by police - hes alive and in police custody.police have not identified the attacker yet.
    3 of the injured people are in intensive care in hospital.

Fair play to the cops for stopping him and catching him. If he is affiliated with others, hopefully they'll be able to draw that from him in questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

SourceHere's the scary bit of that news article though:
    According to Finnish intelligence, around 70 Finnish adults had traveled to join ISIS in Iraq and Syria by the end of 2015.

I suppose when you are a country with a million people in it or 10 million people in it or 100 million people in it. It's inevitable you gonna have x number of fruitcakes in your country. Statistically you will have them. Finland has over 5 million in population so there's gonna be a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A lot of these guys are second generation muslims that have grown up in the country they launch an attack on, in the last 2 years over a million illegal mostly muslims have come into Europe so if most are let stay then it looks like we will have attacks like this for decades to come.

Although probably not in Hungary where they kept them out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Sweet Prince

Imagine a school where all of the pupils had as equal a say as teachers/principals in decisions at every level, whether they wanted to study a certain subject that day, not study at all, not turn up to school, do the leaving cert, don't do it.....

Imagine the chaos. Isnt it fair to say, at a minimum, that nothing would be done or accomplished simply due to stalemates/arguing? I think so.

Giving every single person a say/platform is a mistake. It destroys leadership, it destroys direction, it destroys accountability, it destroys responsibility. Nothing, absolutely nothing, good comes out of it.

The analogy is apt for Europe (and practically everything else) these days. The advent of the internet in general, and social media in particular, has given voices to people that shouldn't be heard. The ignorant, the uninformed, the nasty, the selfish. Left or right of the political spectrum, its the same across all of it, bubbles of ignorance popping next to each other in self-indulgent rage.

That's why this immigration/refugee/culture crisis will not be solved. There is no political action that can be taken without having an army of lackwits blast their indignation (again, left or right). Nothing can be done anymore.

THAT is why there isn't even the semblance of action to be seen anywhere across Europe. The third world will continue to flow into Europe, human rights or not, and nobody is empowered to do anything about it.

This will continue for some time until it quite literally reaches war-like conditions, and its amazing how quickly civility can disappear. Could be a matter of a week or two.

Out of this mess a new political system will emerge, where one of two things will happen. Either the internet will be severely curtailed and controlled, perhaps reducing it to pure information with no personal interaction....or else a new group of people will emerge who make decisions in the complete dark, the population will know these people pull the strings but that is all they will know.

And that's why these killings and cultural clashes will continue in frequency, resentment and frustration will continue to ferment and grow dangerously, and the inevitable backlash of Europeans versus everyone else will happen.

I'm happy to hear out anyone elses opinions on what the future holds, because at this point in time we are all just rehashing the same tired comments over and over.

Short version: Life is going to increasingly become worse over the next prolonged amount of time, these type of mass murders are just the tip of the iceberg, look forward to very serious accommodation problems going forward, very serious employment problems going forward, and ultimately very serious social problems going forward. Might as well get used to them happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

There has been no confirmed reports that it was a terrorist attack yet. I know it can be quite annoying when people say things like this when something appears like the usual terrorist attack but for instance a car rammed a crowd of people at an airport in Amsterdam a few months ago around the time of the terror attacks in London and it just turned out to be a man who fell ill at the wheel. So it's not always the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

wakka12 wrote: »
    There has been no confirmed reports that it was a terrorist attack yet. I know it can be quite annoying when people say things like this when something appears like the usual terrorist attack but for instance a car rammed a crowd of people at an airport in Amsterdam a few months ago around the time of the terror attacks in London and it just turned out to be a man who fell ill at the wheel. So it's not always the case

Interior Minister Paula Risikko described the suspect as "foreign-looking" and linked the attack to the murder of 14 people in Barcelona.

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    Interior Minister Paula Risikko described the suspect as "foreign-looking" and linked the attack to the murder of 14 people in Barcelona.

Link? I find it hard to believe any kind of government official described a criminal suspect as 'foreign looking'.. foreign like?? chinese?? brazilian?? Was she implying middle eastern??

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Update from my friend in turku, she told me that in the video that's floating about in the media the Finnish phrase "varokaa" is yelled which means "look out", not allahu Akbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Update from my friend in turku, she told me that in the video that's floating about in the media the Finnish phrase "varokaa" is yelled which means "look out", not allahu Akbar.

I read that on the Indo site too.

Practically every single mass stabbing or shooting or car ramming some witness claims to have heard allahu akbar even when it turns out to not be related to islamic terrorism at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

wakka12 wrote: »
    Link? I find it hard to believe any kind of government official described a criminal suspect as 'foreign looking'.. foreign like?? chinese?? brazilian?? Was she implying middle eastern??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40978446
    Interior Minister Paula Risikko described the suspect as "foreign-looking" and linked the attack to the murder of 14 people in Barcelona. Finnish authorities have said, however, that it is too early to describe the incident as terrorism.

Advertisement