Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the buildup to Christmas start earlier every year?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I would suggest those figures are way under estimated. It's interesting though that either way we're the biggest spenders/suckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The earlier the better. Christmas is a great time and shopping for it, is great!

Since when was 'shopping' a pastime to be enjoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pilly wrote: »
    No, that's not the actual reason for Christmas.
    It kind of is.

Jesus is not the "real" reason for Xmas. In fact, you'd have a tough time finding out the "real" reason for it at all.

Basically there have been traditional feasts and celebrations around 21st/22nd December for thousands of years, predating every major religion.

Religions don't mix well, so over time the date of the feast would remain relatively static, but the reasons for it would change with the times, according to whatever the major belief/religion was at the time.
    The old reasons would be dispensed with, the new reason being considered the "real" reason for a celebration.

In the Roman world the reason for this celebration became the birth of Jesus sometime around the 4th century. Emperor Constantine was a bit of a bible thumper, so seeing other religions like Paganism and Judaism holding feasts around this time, he made a declaration that it was Jesus's birthday around this time, thus appropriating the midwinter festivals and claiming them as a major Christian festival.

One of the more interesting aspects of the Christmas tradition is that virtually all of the things we associate with Christmas - presents, trees, decorations, singing, parties & food - don't come from Christianity at all. These are all the best bits of the other traditions that Christians chose to retain during the festival. Christianity really just brought modern christian carols and the tradition of the 12 days of Xmas. And of course, going to Mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

iguana wrote: »
    Back then they were extremely noticeable as they were like a very thick industrial tinsel with large plastic images and shapes hanging from them or with the tinsel shaped around them. No less noticeable than a Christmas tree with the lights switched off and the exact same in the day time of November 1st as December 23rd.

I see!

Remember the Christmas lights you'd see in lots of towns that were just like the normal big room bulbs? I kinda miss those. I mean, I like the slicker modern decorations but I kinda liked the more shabby 80s stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The true meaning of Christmas was well established in the first Home Alone film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just greased the turkey & put it in the oven ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

LordSutch wrote: »
    Just greased the turkey & put it in the oven ;-)

180 degrees for 4 months.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Customer demand is the reason.

Part of what we sell is seasonal.

Christmas range has been out and selling since mid August and customers have been asking about it since end July. Halloween stock range arrives next week.

We get no complaints about Christmas stock being on sale - we'll get complainers about putting Halloween out on Monday

Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I could understand people looking forward it it from about now because it's noticeably getting dark earlier in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting excited. But I'm excited for shorter evenings, colder weather, orange leaves, and Halloween. Excitement for Christmas begins in about two months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Shop near me has out the boxed of Quality Street and Roses with Cadbury heroes with snow and all on them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You know Christmas is on the way when you see the annuals for the Dandy and Beano

Advertisement