Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the buildup to Christmas start earlier every year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

branie2 wrote: »
    Did you ever have Christmas dreams before Christmas?

Of course I do. I dream about the day, magical Christmas from my childhood, Christmas lights, what I need to do around the house for Christmas/etc.
    You?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes, I do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

When do Christmas ads start?
    They generally start on the 1st of November on TV and radio. Certain things get away with starting earlier.
    PS we're never going to agree on this matter. I help to support shops/seasonal workers/so I am proud of it.
    If you want change to happen then make it.

No we won't agree and things will not change so long as people like yourself fall for the myth that "Christmas is getting bigger every year" (your words).

Christmas is not getting bigger every year, people are MAKING a bigger deal of it every year. There's a difference. If anything the actual reason for Christmas is getting smaller every year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Spider Web wrote: »
    September is when Tesco deck out their Christmas section and when that Christmas Movies TV channel starts airing. When we were kids in the 80s and 90s, mere murmurs of Christmas would commence after Halloween, but that was it. Murmurs only. Ads and decorations only started two or three weeks after.

Bullcrap. My granda died on the 31st of October 1990 and the next day I went into town with my aunts to pick up some stuff for the funeral and all the city street decorations and lights were up. It has stuck in my mind as I was so miserable and seeing the decorations up created a little crack in my sadness and reminded me that life would be happy again.
    pilly wrote: »
    If anything the actual reason for Christmas is getting smaller every year.

The actual reason is to stick a big celebration into the middle of miserable, cold, dark winter months so they become something to look forward to rather than just struggle through.

iguana wrote: »
    Bullcrap. My granda died on the 31st of October 1990 and the next day I went into town with my aunts to pick up some stuff for the funeral and all the city street decorations and lights were up. It has stuck in my mind as I was so miserable and seeing the decorations up created a little crack in my sadness and reminded me that life would be happy again.

The actual reason is to stick a big celebration into the middle of miserable, cold, dark winter months so they become something to look forward to rather than just struggle through.

When have a mixture of papers from when I was born in early November 1992. They were all about Charles and Diana visiting places, the up coming referendums in late November and the majority of the ads were Christmas ads. If I ask somebody tough when did Christmas ads/etc start back then I'm always given the response that it began around the 8th of December!

• Advertisement

No, that's not the actual reason for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

No, that's not the actual reason for Christmas.

People should remember the real meaning; god sending us his son (who was really him), to save us from him because a talking snake told some naked people to eat fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ipso wrote: »
    People should remember the real meaning; god sending us his son (who was really him), to save us from him because a talking snake told some naked people to eat fruit.

You are mixing up two thing there Jesus was an actual historical figure, Adam and Eve is creation myth.

The simple solution to all this do not engage with it until you are ready or not at all if you do not want too.

I do not put up a Christmas tree until Christmas week and never have, Christmas is simple and family based in our house and always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

No way in hell were the town Christmas decorations up anywhere in Ireland just after Halloween nearly 30 years ago. Not a chance. I'm sure you'll insist it was the case but nah. Unreliable memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Whats with the agro?

If you don't like Christmas, **** off. Don't bring down others enjoyments.

• Advertisement

Whats with the agro?

If you don't like Christmas, **** off. Don't bring down others enjoyments.

Ironic post is ironic.

_Dara_ wrote:
    No way in hell were the town Christmas decorations up anywhere in Ireland just after Halloween nearly 30 years ago. Not a chance. I'm sure you'll insist it was the case but nah. Unreliable memory.

Yeah I'm not falling for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In Ennis, and I'm sure it happens in other times around the country, we put up the light in town in early November, and put them on near the end of the month.

_Dara_ wrote: »

Well they were. It's your memory that's unreliable. My boyfriend that I dated in 1995 was an electrician for the company who put up the city lights and he used to work special early am shifts at the weekend through October to get the lights up. I specifically remember that on his last 5am shift he got to work at 4am because he forgot the clocks were going back. Luckily for him it was the height of the cafe era and there was a decent 24 hour cafe for him to get a big breakfast in.

Yeah I'm not falling for it either.

I have childhood memories that I was 100% sure were true, even splicing together events from two separate days into the one day and being fully sure it happened. Childhood memories are especially unreliable. The poster probably saw one shop festooned and remembers it being more widespread.

Well they were. It's your memory that's unreliable. My boyfriend that I dated in 1995 was an electrician for the company who put up the city lights and he used to work special early am shifts at the weekend through October to get the lights up. I specifically remember that on his last 5am shift he got to work at 4am because he forgot the clocks were going back. Luckily for him it was the height of the cafe era and there was a decent 24 hour cafe for him to get a big breakfast in.

Sorry, I don't believe you. Someone working to get Christmas lights ready doesn't mean turning them on was imminent. You often see unlit Christmas lights up for a few weeks before they are turned on. To get them all done, you'd need to start preparations early.

In Ennis, and I'm sure it happens in other times around the country, we put up the light in town in early November, and put them on near the end of the month.

Lights can even be put up earlier. Especially in cities. I was involved with the Christmas lights committee before.
    You have to put them up at night so you don't disturb traffic, weather has to be good, you've to try and source cherry pickers/etc at a good rate to save on costs. The local business who pay the council rates and contribute to the lights every expect a good few weeks out of the lights because they do help get people into the town.

Exactly! Christmas light prep work can start quite early.

Sorry, I don't believe you. Someone working to get Christmas lights ready doesn't mean turning them on was imminent. You often see unlit Christmas lights up for a few weeks before they are turned on. To get them all done, you'd need to start preparations early.

I never said they were turned on. They were just up. But back then there were a lot more decorations made of a sort of industrial tinsel with plastic shaped and images rather than just lights. So they were much more noticeable before they were switched on. They were turned on on the Friday nearest the 1st of December.

I never said they were turned on. They were just up. But back then there were a lot more decorations made of a sort of industrial tinsel with plastic shaped and images rather than just lights. So they were much more noticeable before they were switched on. They were turned on on the Friday nearest the 1st of December.

Yes, the end of November was when the lights were switched on usually. Definitely not November 1st as per your first post that I replied. I've lived in Dublin on and off for 15 years and the lights are turned on earlier now than they were in 2002!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Bullcrap
    Relax with the aggression. I remember clearly in October and November - in the era you mention - being excited about things starting to get Christmassy in a few weeks.

Ah here freshpopcorn, I love Christmas but your stuff about how shops are helping customers to budget and plan, by promoting Christmas earlier and earlier, is wishful thinking. Most items for Christmas presents are available any time anyway - it's not like they're only wheeled out for Christmas and that the shops are doing people a favour by making them available in September/October. They're available anyway, just presented in a particular way! So you can budget either way - just set aside a Christmas fund.

Yes Christmas is a crucial time for businesses to make money but the Amazons and Nikes and Sonys are gonna win out there, not local businesses that you're proud to support.

It is probably the worst time of year for people in a dark place due to e.g. death (although it's a time that makes some folk in that situation feel happier) but it really doesn't have to be rubbed in people's faces at all before November. I think people saying "**** off if you don't like it" could show a little empathy towards those who find it a very painful time. Think of people who have lost a child or their partner and what it must be like for them.

Yes, the end of November was when the lights were switched on usually. Definitely not November 1st as per your first post that I replied. I've lived in Dublin on and off for 15 years and the lights are turned on earlier now than they were in 2002!
    I never said they were on in November. I said they were up.

Ah here freshpopcorn, I love Christmas but your stuff about how shops are helping customers to budget and plan, by promoting Christmas earlier and earlier, is wishful thinking. Most items for Christmas presents are available any time anyway - it's not like they're only wheeled out for Christmas and that the shops are doing people a favour by making them available in September/October. They're available anyway, just presented in a particular way! So you can budget either way - just set aside a Christmas fund.

Yes Christmas is a crucial time for businesses to make money but the Amazons and Nikes and Sonys are gonna win out there, not local businesses that you're proud to support.

It is probably the worst time of year for people in a dark place due to e.g. death (although it's a time that makes some folk in that situation feel happier) but it really doesn't have to be rubbed in people's faces at all before November. I think people saying "**** off if you don't like it" could show a little empathy towards those who find it a very painful time. Think of people who have lost a child or their partner and what it must be like for them.

I buy a lot of hand crafted gifts for Christmas which wouldn't be available all year round.
    I know from speaking to the owner of the local gift shops that from mid October to December is what pays the rent for the rest of the year for her and the same goes with other business in my town. I have only ever bought one item off Amazon when I was about 16.
    All the large tins of biscuits/sweets/new books/etc are only really out for the Christmas season.
    It's a terrible time of year for lots of people. We didn't have much money growing up uncle/grandparents/etc all died/got bullied at school but I don't think my personal problems should effect other peoples lives.

I never said they were on in November. I said they were up.

Ah, my mistake. In fairness, that's not the same as the lights being on and certainly didn't warrant the 'bullcrap' comment, you'd barely notice them until they are lit up. They are only preparing at that point. That's not what we are talking about. People are insisting that Christmas adverts and decorated streets (inc. lighting) always started in earnest right after Hallowe'en, which wasn't the case.

Relax with the aggression. I remember clearly in October and November - in the era you mention - being excited about things starting to get Christmassy in a few weeks.

I totally agree! I enjoy Christmas but hate the whole 'bah humbug' sentiment. Let people react however they want to the season. Different strokes.

I buy a lot of hand crafted gifts for Christmas which wouldn't be available all year round. I know from speaking to the owner of the local gift shops that from mid October to December is what pays the rent for the rest of the year for her and the same goes with other business in my town. I have only ever bought one item off Amazon when I was about 16. All the large tins of biscuits/sweets/new books/etc are only really out for the Christmas season. It's a terrible time of year for lots of people. We didn't have much money growing up uncle/grandparents/etc all died/got bullied at school but I don't think my personal problems should effect other peoples lives.

So why should your personal shopping preferences effect other people's lives?

So why should your personal shopping preferences effect other people's lives?

How does it? I'm not telling people what they can and can't do.
    Having the Christmas stuff in the shops is clearly what people want. If it wasn't selling the shops wouldn't stock things early. I am also helping to get seasonal jobs in the months in the lead up to Christmas. Which can help families with bills.
    Don't you want these jobs to exist in the months of October/November?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spiritnsoul

The earlier the better. Christmas is a great time and shopping for it, is great!

Ah, my mistake. In fairness, that's not the same as the lights being on and certainly didn't warrant the 'bullcrap' comment, you'd barely notice them until they are lit up. They are only preparing at that point. That's not what we are talking about. People are insisting that Christmas adverts and decorated streets (inc. lighting) always started in earnest right after Hallowe'en, which wasn't the case.

Back then they were extremely noticeable as they were like a very thick industrial tinsel with large plastic images and shapes hanging from them or with the tinsel shaped around them. No less noticeable than a Christmas tree with the lights switched off and the exact same in the day time of November 1st as December 23rd.

• Advertisement

Back then they were extremely noticeable as they were like a very thick industrial tinsel with large plastic images and shapes hanging from them or with the tinsel shaped around them. No less noticeable than a Christmas tree with the lights switched off and the exact same in the day time of November 1st as December 23rd.

Still have those type decorations in my local village. :D

Advertisement