Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the buildup to Christmas start earlier every year?

Options
  • 17-08-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Do the shops have anything to gain by being the first to bring out the Christmas stuff?

At this point only March,April,May,June,July are relatively Christmas-free but those months are also slowly being eaten into and a thicker level of "background Christmas" persists year round. At the same time you have the Mozzies and some of the atheists being anti-Christmas, shops staying open and taking away from emphasis on the day itself. I reckon between this and people being told most of the year to consumerise for Christmas they'll eventually kill the goose that lays the golden egg and the feastday itself will fade into obscurity and by the time this happens I'll actually welcome it because I'll be blue in the face from hearing about Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Only 130 sleeps to go!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Do the shops have anything to gain by being the first to bring out the Christmas stuff?

At this point only March,April,May,June,July are relatively Christmas-free but those months are also slowly being eaten into and a thicker level of "background Christmas" persists year round. At the same time you have the Mozzies and some of the atheists being anti-Christmas, shops staying open and taking away from emphasis on the day itself. I reckon between this and people being told most of the year to consumerise for Christmas they'll eventually kill the goose that lays the golden egg and the feastday itself will fade into obscurity and by the time this happens I'll actually welcome it because I'll be blue in the face from hearing about Christmas

You're not helping matters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

why does christmas start earlier and earlier every year

Each year Santa Clause's spys are telling him you've been even more good than the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

there should be no mention of it until after Guy Fawkes night

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

It's the same with everything. I saw Easter Eggs in Tesco in January of this year. It's chocolate. It's EFFING CHOCOLATE. STOP. Cracks me up. I once asked a Tesco employee friend why it's put out so early. His answer? "Because people buy it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It doesn't. It's all in your head.

What actually happens is that as you get older, you are less aware of the passage of time; you're busy, you're better able to disengage your brain and shut down instead of getting bored.

As a result, every year the Xmas rush sneaks up on you just a little bit faster than you expected. As a child, it felt like Xmas would never come. As an old fogey, it feels like Xmas starts earlier every year.

It doesn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'll be blue in the face from hearing about Christmas

Well you are the one that brought it up in fairness, it was out of my mind until I read this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hadn't thought of Xmas until you started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

seamus wrote: »
    It doesn't. It's all in your head.

What actually happens is that as you get older, you are less aware of the passage of time; you're busy, you're better able to disengage your brain and shut down instead of getting bored.

As a result, every year the Xmas rush sneaks up on you just a little bit faster than you expected. As a child, it felt like Xmas would never come. As an old fogey, it feels like Xmas starts earlier every year.

It doesn't.

I notice the month it starts in seems to keep getting earlier. Hearing about Christmas in August seems odd to me compared to what it was like in the 90's. At one time people were outraged to hear about Christmas in October, then September, now it's after creeping way back into August.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bah Humbug!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The build up should be continuous imo. Hit the ground running in the 26th December.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

It should only be talked about, advertised on TV, or shops should begin being decorated after Hallowe'en. And a law enacted to make that a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's to fcuk with small kids heads.Santa talk and they havnt even returned to school.

Imagine being a primary school teacher and the kids are talking about Santa.

Anyway Jingle bells Jingle bells , jingle all the way.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I saw Halloween decorations for sale in Dunnes stores, Ennis yesterday. Might be raining a lot but it's still summer ffs!

I think Christmas should run from October to March. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Noveight wrote: »
    I saw Halloween decorations for sale in Dunnes stores, Ennis yesterday. Might be raining a lot but it's still summer ffs!

It's autumn.

*runs away

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I started a similar thread Yesterday but it was closed because it's to early to talk about Christmas on Boards.
    Well to answer you question.
    There is a demand. People who really love the Christmas season will go to Brown Thomas in the first few day of the Christmas shop opening and buy a few bits and pieces. They've being doing it for a few years now and if it wasn't successful they wouldn't bother.
    Another reason is shops(Especially supermarkets) are a lot bigger and they have sections dedicated to seasonal stock be it Easter, Summer, Back to school or Christmas. Shops want to make as money as possible. There not going to leave shelves empty and Halloween stock is limited enough.
    If the shops did go down the route of only bringing thing in the 1st of December. People couldn't spread the cost. The shops would also be a nightmare all together. The demand for retail goods have grown so much in the past few years.
    Christmas is a very important time to retail. It helps to keep them open for the rest of the year. When seasonal jobs for Christmas are advertised in September for people to start work at the end of September/start of October people don't seem to mind this.
    Also, it's very easy to avoid Christmas for the next few weeks with kids. It's not advertised on the Radio/TV until November. Avoid bringing your kids to Brown Thomas and don't talk to them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

August, September, October - Autumn
    (At which Halloween is the last day of this season. So it's understandable)
    November, December, January - Winter
    Feburary, March, April - Spring
    May, June, July - Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

To get fools to part with their money.

PS OP,
    It has being starting at about this time for the last ten years or so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

August, September, October - Autumn
    (At which Halloween is the last day of this season. So it's understandable)
    November, December, January - Winter
    Feburary, March, April - Spring
    May, June, July - Summer
    It's autumn.

*runs away

You're actually right, but I ain't buying it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why does the buildup to Christmas start earlier every year?

...if you visit the Christmas forum it never ends!

Wall to wall Christmas all year round.

For me Christmas starts in December & ends on the 6th of January. I don't let the retailers dictate when it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You think that's bad ... I saw hot cross buns in Dunnes Galway!

You think that's bad ... I saw hot cross buns in Dunnes Galway!

They seem to be on sale all year round now!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Anything Christmasy should be banned before Halloween in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Does this include whinging threads about it?

caniask86 wrote: »
    Anything Christmasy should be banned before Halloween in my opinion.

What about all the seasonal workers that are taken on in October?
    What about people trying to spread the cost?

Does this include whinging threads about it?

I started a positive thread yesterday and it was closed because the mods don't want Christmas threads!
    I think the people who whinge about this do people like me(Who loves this) a big favor. They make people aware of the Christmas shops being open with their Facebook posts and they let everybody know the Christmas department is open. This ensures that the shops make money and they'll do it again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What about all the seasonal workers that are taken on in October?
    What about people trying to spread the cost?

Christmas is in December, and anything to do with Christmas has traditionally been kept back until after Halloween!

That is, until recent years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

In that case there should be no advertising for summer or selling summer clothes, or selling barbecues etc. until at least mid June. I don't get why people get so annoyed about this - just ignore it if you don't wanna hear about it and there's no obligation for you to go into Brown Thomas Christmas shop or wherever if you don't want to.

Advertisement