Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the buildup to Christmas start earlier every year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

If you don't have kids you probably shouldn't visit that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

These ads should be broadcast at the start of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

branie2 wrote: »

and threads about same should be started then too- tis is he first mention of Christmas for me this year- Cheers, only 4 bleedin months left

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

and threads about same should be started then too- tis is he first mention of Christmas for me this year- Cheers, only 4 bleedin months left

There used to be a thing here were Christmas related threads weren't done until a month before Christmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Threads merged, we only need one thread for the ould christmas rant.

• Advertisement

Ads for Christmas parties usually come out around this time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

FFS it's August! why am I hearing ads for the 'greatest santa experience' on the radio? It just makes me want to never visit that place......
    branie2 wrote: »

These experiences take a lot of planning and preparation in the coming weeks. They generally get booked out fairly fast. Business need to know what to order/staff/etc.
    I saw a good few articles regarding taking on seasonal workers from late September and nobody was complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Merry Christmas folks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Why did OP start this thread, it's just got me thinking about Christmas. Bah humbug, hate it!

pilly wrote: »
    Why did OP start this thread, it's just got me thinking about Christmas. Bah humbug, hate it!

You will be visited by three ghosts tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Good that you say so, Rathwood Santa train tickets go on sale tomorrow!

For those saying that people are grumbling please remember this:

Christmas is the WORST time of year for anyone struggling with anything, mental health, loneliness, financial troubles, marital troubles etc. etc.

To extend that experience out to four months is just pure cruelty.

Honestly, I'm actually annoyed that I'm a member on Boards at the moment because this has come up and the usual happy heads have popped up to say "ah Christmas is great, Christmas is fantastic".

Fcuk right off is all I can say and consider that not everyone around you is happy and nor should they have to be on command because you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

This year's Christmas is so last year. It's all about Christmas 2018

For those saying that people are grumbling please remember this:

Christmas is the WORST time of year for anyone struggling with anything, mental health, loneliness, financial troubles, marital troubles etc. etc.

To extend that experience out to four months is just pure cruelty.

Honestly, I'm actually annoyed that I'm a member on Boards at the moment because this has come up and the usual happy heads have popped up to say "ah Christmas is great, Christmas is fantastic".

Fcuk right off is all I can say and consider that not everyone around you is happy and nor should they have to be on command because you say so.

Go over to the Christmas forum and see the amount of joy it brings to people. I hate the Summer I find the months very depressing but I don't expect them to band to suit my feelings!

Go over to the Christmas forum and see the amount of joy it brings to people. I hate the Summer I find the months very depressing but I don't expect them to band to suit my feelings!

No-one is looking for Christmas to be banned, it's the 4 month advertising frenzy that leads up to it we're discussing.

No-one is looking for Christmas to be banned, it's the 4 month advertising frenzy that leads up to it we're discussing.

People now a days spread the cost of Christmas. Shops run promotions to help people to spread the cost. Things need to planned in advance because Christmas is so much larger. In the past people went to see Santa for five minutes now it's an experience that lasts the day.
    Christmas isn't compulsory. You can avoid it if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

People now a days spread the cost of Christmas. Shops run promotions to help people to spread the cost. Things need to planned in advance because Christmas is so much larger. In the past people went to see Santa for five minutes now it's an experience that lasts the day.

Yeah, helping people to spread the cost of Christmas is not why the ads start in earnest so early. Shops want people to spend, spend, spend whether they can afford it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I don't think it's anything as well meaning as that - the early buildup is pure moneymaking. The fact it's so much larger and Santa is a day-long thing is pretty much the issue that people are raising.
    You can't really, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Christmas is compulsory. 116 days to go!

Yeah, the shops want to help people spread the cost. :rolleyes: I presume you're very young.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yeah, helping people to spread the cost of Christmas is not why the ads start in earnest so early. Shops want people to spend, spend, spend whether they can afford it or not!
    Spider Web wrote: »
    I don't think it's anything as well meaning as that - the early buildup is pure moneymaking. The fact it's so much larger and Santa is a day-long thing is pretty much the issue that people are raising.

You can't really, to be fair.

Of course they want people to spend spend spend. We had everything bought last year by the end of November(Apart from fresh items). We bought a few things every week from about September. It we helped us.
    Christmas is very important to the retail industry it keeps many shops open for the rest of the year. This keeps people in employment during the Christmas season and the rest of the year.
    Shops are there to make money. I've never got myself into death over Christmas or has my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Yeah, the shops want to help people spread the cost. :rolleyes: I presume you're very young.

... and fresh :pac:

I'm 25. I'm very grateful that the shops can stock Christmas stock it allows me to spread the costs without having to but everything in one go!

I'm 25. I'm very grateful that the shops can stock Christmas stock it allows me to spread the costs without having to but everything in one go!

Because there's no such thing as saving up money? Get a grip.

Because there's no such thing as saving up money? Get a grip.

Of course you can save money every week. but you also don't have to go to the shops in December when there packed and busy. It allows you to check for bargains in the months coming to Christmas.

Of course you can save money every week. but you also don't have to go to the shops in December when there packed and busy. It allows you to check for bargains in the months coming to Christmas.

Jesus, you're like a dog with a bone. No-one is stopping people going to the shops before Christmas. That doesn't mean it needs to be advertised 24/7 on television and radio does it?

Basically what you're saying is you don't give a **** about mentally ill, lonely, suicidal people or those with financial worries because it's handy for you to shop in October and November? You do see how selfish that sounds don't you?

If there was no advertising or Christmas music I'm sure you'd go and do your shopping anyway so you're not really getting the point of the thread.

Jesus, you're like a dog with a bone. No-one is stopping people going to the shops before Christmas. That doesn't mean it needs to be advertised 24/7 on television and radio does it?

Basically what you're saying is you don't give a **** about mentally ill, lonely, suicidal people or those with financial worries because it's handy for you to shop in October and November? You do see how selfish that sounds don't you?

If there was no advertising or Christmas music I'm sure you'd go and do your shopping anyway so you're not really getting the point of the thread.

The Christmas ads begin on the 1st of November.
    Christmas grotto's/parties begin in November so they have to be advertised earlier.(I don't understand why you don't get this) Business need to plan.
    I buy lots of Christmas seasonal items and they wouldn't be stocked if Christmas stuff was banned until December.
    They are Christmas shops in many shops around the world that are open all year round. Should these be banned because of people with issues?
    Should we ban 181 cars being advertised on TV because people can't afford one or are depressed they don't have one?

The Christmas ads begin on the 1st of November.
    Christmas grotto's/parties begin in November so they have to be advertised earlier.(I don't understand why you don't get this) Business need to plan.
    I buy lots of Christmas seasonal items and they wouldn't be stocked if Christmas stuff was banned until December.
    They are Christmas shops in many shops around the world that are open all year round. Should these be banned because of people with issues?
    Should we ban 181 cars being advertised on TV because people can't afford one or are depressed they don't have one?

None of what you've just said has anything to do with advertising apart from the fact that they start on November 1st which is untrue.

BTW I really couldn't care less about your buying habits.

None of what you've just said has anything to do with advertising apart from the fact that they start on November 1st which is untrue.

BTW I really couldn't care less about your buying habits.

When do Christmas ads start?
    They generally start on the 1st of November on TV and radio. Certain things get away with starting earlier.
    PS we're never going to agree on this matter. I help to support shops/seasonal workers/so I am proud of it.
    If you want change to happen then make it.

• Advertisement

Did you ever have Christmas dreams before Christmas?

Advertisement