Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taboos in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Being any way eccentric in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Eating horsemeat, knowingly.

Consuming horse meat would solve our loose and straying equines problem straight away.

never knew we had a horse problem

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭bluedex

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think people understand the word taboo.

Taboo means something that people don't talk about not peculiarities that people find odd.

Not liking GAA is certainly something that cannot be talked about in Ireland! It's one of the most taboo things ever.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Suicide.

Mental health

Wouldn't have considered them taboo at all. In fact, it's probably gotten to the stage that it's taboo in Ireland for minor celebrities or bloggers not to have mental health issues…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

A lot or stuff used to be a taboo in Ireland. That isn't the case so much now. It's a far more open and honest society about most issues.

I suspect that's why you're also seeing a lot more discussion of transparency and corruption etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Eating disorders. Especially men with an ED.

Fairy forts!!! They're still a taboo unique to Ireland, especially amongst politicians that look like extras from a Deliverance sequel.

Eating disorders. Especially men with an ED.

Wouldn't have thought that was necessarily unique to Ireland…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Wouldn't have thought that was necessarily unique to Ireland…

Maybe you're right.

Maybe I skimmed the OP and didn't spot the taboos in Ireland not taboos elsewhere.....

As you were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Holocust and Mao. We can't talk about, even though was part of human history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Big stinking room clearing Farts on a Packed train is Fairly Taboo, can't understand why

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There is/was a restaurant in Dublin called Café Mao, tens of millions dead but it probably wasn't as bad as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Suggesting that someone might have a drinking problem.

Arghus wrote: »
    Suggesting that someone might have a drinking problem.

What?!!??! I only drink socially. I never drink at home so that's why I'm not an alcoholic! The garden's a different story, it's not the house and I only drink when I'm celebrating, or when I'm stressed, or bored, or happy, or sad… You know what you're problem is? You're a dryshíte and you're no craic. I could give up this minute but I wouldn't give you the satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

AllForIt wrote: »
    Proclaiming your not interested in GAA especially when your home county is in the final. I'm from Mayo and in the last few years I've had to pretend I'm really disappointed when we loose.

Ok you are now officially disowned.
    Get out, GET OUT. :(
    Public nudity.

The idea of going swimming or into a sauna naked is so normal in most countries. Our hangover from catholism being rammed down our throats means that we are generally quite ashamed of our own naked bodies.

And what about the pagan Sasanaigh.

They are a wee bit repressed as well and they are mostly protestants.
    Germany, most of Scandinavia, Austria...They wouldnt think twice about sunbathing naked or going into the sauna. Just my experience.

But shure they are fairly durty.
    Anyone remember Cineclub on RTE ?

Nah that's just around here.

It is also taboo to speak ill of the mods.
    Whatever you do don't mention the inbreeding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Of course we can talk about them. How could someone in all honesty say it's taboo to talk about the Holocaust and Chairman Mao in Ireland?

Now, saying Mao was good to the Chinese people and casting doubts on aspects of the Holocaust despite the multitude of evidence contradicting all of the above... not so much taboo as flying in the face of facts.

Spider Web wrote: »
    Of course we can talk about them. How could someone in all honesty say it's taboo to talk about the Holocaust and Chairman Mao in Ireland?

Now, saying Mao was good to the Chinese people and casting doubts on aspects of the Holocaust despite the multitude of evidence contradicting all of the above... not so much taboo as flying in the face of facts.

Mao was good to his people. And only on board.ie was Mao plan to improve the Chinese economy and Chinese people lives was a bad thing.

Evidence. I researched it overnight and the Holocust story is full of holes.

Facts: here is the first foreign doctor on the scene at Belsen.

Is this not evidence?
    A British doctor who said outright it was not the fault of the Germans the Jews died at the camp. The Jews he spoke to all said the German soldiers looked after them right up till around 1945. After this time the conditions at the camp got worse. The reason he said the Jews are undressed are on the ground, is the prisoners removed their clothes. We don't hear this version anymore?

Is this not evidence?
    The Red Cross also released a report in 1979, and the claim only 300,000 Jews died at the concentration camps.

This number is just a confirmation of what the Alamac of 1948 said only 300, 000 Jews are missing worldwide after WW2.

Do you know the alleged gas chambers at Auschwitz was scientifically tested for Zyklon B and they could find any traces of the substance inside the alleged Gas chamber, Strange don't you think? And the alleged gas chambers had no roof holes, the curator of Auschwitz admits on the video below, they are not original openings on the roof, they got placed there after the war.

One of the leading Gas experts who personally tested the alleged Gas Chamber at Auchwitz and found nothing to verify gassing of 6 million Jewish people.

For me there is nothing racist or anti-anti-semitic about re-reviewing history. When you advocate racism and the killing of Jews and Blacks, yes this is a problem. I sure i be sanctioned for talking about the subjects again, but that's fine, this is the world we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Of for f*** sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Spider Web wrote: »
    Just my opinion but I don't think either are taboo anymore - or maybe they are in certain parts of Ireland I've no experience of.
    There still seems to be parts of the country where suicide is seen as taboo. Where they are reported as 'sudden deaths' or 'tragic incidents' instead of being direct and honest about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For me there is nothing racist or anti-anti-semitic about re-reviewing history.
    I would actually agree 100% on this score. I personally find it extremely worrying that laws exist in Germany(and elsewhere) that will land someone in legal trouble for any questioning of the accepted historical narrative regarding Nazi Germany and in particular the Holocaust. I abhor censorship of this kind. And that includes the censorship of daft ideas as well as those that may have some merit. When any debate is considered taboo it tends to engender hardliner thinking in both the supporters of the accepted narrative and hardliner thinking in the opponents of the accepted narrative. That's not good. I say shine a light on things. If we don't I fear we're doomed to end up repeating the horrors of the past.

For me do I believe in what has come to be known as the Holocaust, that the German fascist mindset was set on the removal by many and any means necessary of all enemies of the reich? Yes. Without a doubt. There is plenty of hard evidence. Do I also believe that there are major questions even holes in the established narrative? Equally yes. Without a doubt. There is plenty of hard evidence.
    There still seems to be parts of the country where suicide is seen as taboo. Where they are reported as 'sudden deaths' or 'tragic incidents' instead of being direct and honest about it.
    It has receded a little since I was a kid, certainly in the major towns and cities, but yeah, in some areas it's still in play. Hell, it's still in play in major towns and cities at times. Depends on one's local "pull" I've noted. I knew two young guys who took their own lives and both were passed off as "accidents". In fairness this was in the late 80's and mid 90's so maybe I'm out of date there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Having a child in second class who won't be making communion. The child hasn't even gone back to school yet and already I've had an earful about how mean I'm being.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Being a heterosexual man with no interest in sport.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would actually agree 100% on this score. I personally find it extremely worrying that laws exist in Germany(and elsewhere) that will land someone in legal trouble for any questioning of the accepted historical narrative regarding Nazi Germany and in particular the Holocaust. I abhor censorship of this kind. And that includes the censorship of daft ideas as well as those that may have some merit. When any debate is considered taboo it tends to engender hardliner thinking in both the supporters of the accepted narrative and hardliner thinking in the opponents of the accepted narrative. That's not good. I say shine a light on things. If we don't I fear we're doomed to end up repeating the horrors of the past.

For me do I believe in what has come to be known as the Holocaust, that the German fascist mindset was set on the removal by many and any means necessary of all enemies of the reich? Yes. Without a doubt. There is plenty of hard evidence. Do I also believe that there are major questions even holes in the established narrative? Equally yes. Without a doubt. There is plenty of hard evidence.

I agree with most of your post

My position is always this.

I don't give a crap about governments cracking down on websites like Stormfront, we know sites of this type promote hate and division and even the murder of minorties. Good riddance to these sites.

If the event truly happened as is claimed by the masses (world opinion), there should be no inconsistencies with their version of history, least in my mind!

When i research established (official) history, i try to look at what the other side said happened too, and often you will find, there is an alternative version .

Flat Earth theory ie be a perfect example. The official narrative is the World is a ball ( circular) mass in space. Is there evidence to support the case the Earth is flat? Well i looked over their evidence and never found anything they said compelling or interesting.

I actually am of the believe the Nazis killed hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of Jews at these camps. But i don't believe they gassed them, least in the numbers claimed online. There is no photographs or videos of a building with holes in the roof to pour gas down into, first problem. Second problem, there is no documentation, or leaked memo, that shows the orders to gas million of Jews.

Executions of Jewish prisoners, over working them to death i believe this happened. We know bad and good people exist and there was likely bad Nazis at these camps, who got delight from punishing Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Why is your post in bold?

Not your ornery onager

I just say this about Mao "Great leap forward" it was a disaster at the beginning and millions died because of it. Mao even admitted he made mistakes to the Chinese people. But overall the plan helped China in later years. And Mao goal was not to murder millions of Chinese peasants, this is false history promoted by the American right. He could not have forseen he's plan would not work out as planned and we know the majority of deaths occurred in 1959-1960 when bad weather, drought and floods caused a famine

If you continue to believe Fox news hate speech about Mao, that's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Wibbs wrote: »

I agree all views should be allowed airing - silencing people will just make them more entrenched in their views. But those views need to be backed up and if they're easily contradicted with evidence (including by people who were there) it's not censorship or "propaganda" or "hate speech".

Esel wrote: »
    ^ Why is your post in bold?

If you talking to me? My English is not the best, may be easier to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you talking to me? My English is not the best, may be easier to read?

No, it's annoying - to me anyway. There is no need for it.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    No, it's annoying - to me anyway. There is no need for it.

Ok i change it!

Advertisement