Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taboos in Ireland

Options
  • 15-08-2017 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Nighttime wonderings... what taboos exist in Ireland that don't exist in other countries? Which ones annoy you the most?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

All is permitted !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

You can't touch randomers' knobs in the street or walk around in the nip with a French tickler in your backdoor. Our Catholic background has left us very repressed compared with Continental Europe where ticklers are not only legal, but mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Suicide.

Mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Leaving the immersion on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Breast feeding. Some sort of Catholic guilt thing I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I was watching this Rich Hall clip on his experience of Ireland.. skip to 1:15

'Cork Man Drowns'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Not finishing your dinner in the presence of your mother... Que... "think of the poor people in africa"

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Stepping outside of any social norm is usually pointed out and criticised in Ireland. It's the nature of many people in this country. We generally don't like or trust those different to us and we tend to fear what we don't understand.

Example include, but are not limited to people who don't drink, people who are career focused rather than people focused and I've also found that a lot of people look at me strangely when I tell them that I read. I wouldn't exactly describe it as a taboo, but as it's different than sitting in front of the tv for hours on end, it can be frowned upon and viewed as boring or unimaginative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"What do you mean, you don't drink?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

A scary tattoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Not having the classic Irish hotel wedding with 250 guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Saying you support a football team from this country is certainly taboo. Allow me to demonstrate.

''Who do you support?''
    ''Shelbourne.''
    ''No but who do you really support?''

You have to pretend to be a Manc or a Scouser and call each other the scum and things like that. Basically you're to adopt English football as if it's your own... unless England are playing that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I can't think of anything that is taboo. I can think of lots of things i wouldn't want to discuss with randomers/strangers and lots of stuff from said people that i don't want to hear about. I don't want to hear about your period, for example, but menstruation isn't taboo...just not my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Omackeral wrote: »
    Saying you support a football team from this country is certainly taboo. Allow me to demonstrate.

''Who do you support?''
    ''Shelbourne.''
    ''No but who do you really support?''

You have to pretend to be a Manc or a Scouser and call each other the scum and things like that. Basically you're to adopt English football as if it's your own... unless England are playing that is.

Have a bag of walkers taytos next time someone says that to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Paying for water ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Suicide.

Mental health
    Just my opinion but I don't think either are taboo anymore - or maybe they are in certain parts of Ireland I've no experience of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

People speaking in fluent Irish is seen as almost exotic and strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sex talk in public

Death

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Stepping outside of any social norm is usually pointed out and criticised in Ireland.

I've also found that a lot of people look at me strangely when I tell them that I read.
    I really don't think Ireland is unusual in this regard. A lot of the Med, especially rural areas would be hyper normative and anti-reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Building roads through or near fairy forts:)

• Advertisement

"What did you think of the match?"
    "What match?"
    "What do you mean, 'what match?'?"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

brown sauce in your tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Having absolutely no interest whatsoever in reality tv or 'celebrity' culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Stepping outside of any social norm is usually pointed out and criticised in Ireland. It's the nature of many people in this country. We generally don't like or trust those different to us and we tend to fear what we don't understand.

Example include, but are not limited to people who don't drink, people who are career focused rather than people focused and I've also found that a lot of people look at me strangely when I tell them that I read. I wouldn't exactly describe it as a taboo, but as it's different than sitting in front of the tv for hours on end, it can be frowned upon and viewed as boring or unimaginative.

Totally agree to this... I love reading, hate drinking..did the obligatory bit of drinking from 18/22 but it got old fast... Started reading, training and studying

I barely see my friends anymore as a side effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Mentioning that certain areas are a lot better than they were a few years or decades ago.

Trying to finance things by saving and not taking a few small loans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Living at home with the parents!! although it's more common now, whenever anyone says they do its usually followed by an excuse as if they have to justify it to the person they are talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not wanting children

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Hating GAA

Hating the Irish rugby team, and all who sail in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Male victims of domestic violence

Advertisement