Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taboos in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Public nudity.

The idea of going swimming or into a sauna naked is so normal in most countries. Our hangover from catholism being rammed down our throats means that we are generally quite ashamed of our own naked bodies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

Public nudity.

The idea of going swimming or into a sauna naked is so normal in most countries. Our hangover from catholism being rammed down our throats means that we are generally quite ashamed of our own naked bodies.

No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Expressing admiration for any facet of English history or culture, however limited, except their football clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pension Plans.

Death.

KungPao wrote: »
    A German (true story) once mentioned to me that Ireland seems a little anti-Jewish as 'we' are staunch supporters of Palestine and didn't give a fook during WW2 about the Jews seeking refuge. Also our president sending his condolences for the passing of Herr Hitler also raises eyebrows!

We weren't alone in that regard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

The MS St. Louis was a German ocean liner. In 1939, it set off on a voyage in which its captain, Gustav Schröder, tried to find homes for over 900 Jewish refugees from Germany. After they were denied entry to Cuba, the United States, and Canada, the refugees were finally accepted in various European countries, including Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK, and France. Historians have estimated that approximately a quarter of them died in death camps during World War II.

Apart from a hiccup in Limerick in 1904, the Limerick Pogrom (more correctly a boycott) and head cases like Oliver J Flanagan and Charles Bewley, the Irish were tolerant of the Jewish community although indifferent to the Holocaust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Saying Father Ted was a shitty comedy full of shitty catchphrases. People will go on about how your man in The Big Bang Theory says 'bazinga' or how Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances uses the same catchphrases like "the lady of the house speaking" but they think twenty odd minutes of "DRINK FECK ARSE GIRLS", "Will you have a cup of tea? Go on go on go on go on...", and "the money was just resting in my account" is comedy genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Calling someone with mental health issues a 'cray-cray' while tapping the side of your head. Or whirring your finger around the side of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Round dodging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Suggesting that that 70s/80s children TV show, Bosco, was a load of manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Malari wrote: »
    What IS it about? I've never heard anything about that. It must REALLY be taboo. :P

This is one always observed in our family, carry over from the previous generation. As it was explained to me; money was tight and the dead were buried in their "good clothes". Often a new pair of shoes would be bought for them to be buried in. As the body is laid out on a table, including the shoes, new/unworn shoes on a table signifies death. It's so silly but the panic has been bred into me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    No it's not.

Germany, most of Scandinavia, Austria...They wouldnt think twice about sunbathing naked or going into the sauna. Just my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Couple of posts here saying 'death'. Have to say Ireland is probably one of the few places where death ISN'T a bit taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Chatting up the opposite sex in a non-drinking environment. So much more acceptable in other Countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

These thread always produce posters who are projecting their own issues on the nation usually( but not confined) to sexual repression, either they are genuinely not aware that they are doing it or else its a coping mechanism of some sort.

Own your repression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

mariaalice wrote: »
    These thread always produce posters who are projecting their own issues on the nation usually( but not confined) to sexual repression, either they are genuinely not aware that they are doing it or else its a coping mechanism of some sort.

Own your repression.

Right back at you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Whispered wrote: »
    This is one always observed in our family, carry over from the previous generation. As it was explained to me; money was tight and the dead were buried in their "good clothes". Often a new pair of shoes would be bought for them to be buried in. As the body is laid out on a table, including the shoes, new/unworn shoes on a table signifies death. It's so silly but the panic has been bred into me :D
    Money's so tight you waste it on shoes for someone who'll never walk in them. There's a word for that but it's not 'taboo'!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Money's so tight you waste it on shoes for someone who'll never walk in them. There's a word for that but it's not 'taboo'!

I wasn't talking about taboos. I was answering a question about where the superstition came from. You'll find that a lot of superstitions are a bit silly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Ireland is very weird about this. I find, at least in the rural west where I grew up, taking religion too seriously is viewed negatively but so is being completely irreligious.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

(This is just my shot at thinking of an Irish taboo, not which side I agree with..)

Questioning whether having a child with Down Syndrome is actually a blessing and saying anything against the whole "special" culture that plays up a rosey image and trivialises the reality of taking care of a child/adult with Down Syndrome.

9 out of 10 cases in the UK where screening detects down syndrome end in abortion.
    In Iceland it's close to 100 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Phone boxes on mountain tops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Saying Father Ted was a shitty comedy full of shitty catchphrases. People will go on about how your man in The Big Bang Theory says 'bazinga' or how Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances uses the same catchphrases like "the lady of the house speaking" but they think twenty odd minutes of "DRINK FECK ARSE GIRLS", "Will you have a cup of tea? Go on go on go on go on...", and "the money was just resting in my account" is comedy genius.

If you ever say that again...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Father Ted was funny despite the catchphrases, not because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

Ireland is very weird about this. I find, at least in the rural west where I grew up, taking religion too seriously is viewed negatively but so is being completely irreligious.

I agree, you absolutely can't say that you just don't believe in God at all, people look at you weird and try to persuade you but you also don't want to actively practice religion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I agree, you absolutely can't say that you just don't believe in God at all, people look at you weird and try to persuade you but you also don't want to actively practice religion!

It’s the old Irish problem of most of the population being raised by a school system that is largely based on religious “faith formation” (brainwashing) from about age 5. Then you’ve got to couple that with the fact that, despite all the recent social progress and liberalism, it is only a decade and a bit over being Europe’s Bible Belt a a still has attitudes to abortion that are more in line with the US Deep South.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think people understand the word taboo.

Taboo means something that people don't talk about not peculiarities that people find odd.

Well it means things that go against social norms too Murph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Public nudity.

I dunno. Not really one to buy this Catholic shame thing. It's more just wishing to keep one's nudity private. It's not restricted to Catholic countries at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Liking cats, but sure if you died one of those would eat your face while a dog would guard your corpse. :p

On the public nudity thing 59% of Irish are ugly buggers and we don't tan well neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Eating swans

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

Success.

Can't have ****ing anything in this country.

• Advertisement

Eating horsemeat, knowingly.

Consuming horse meat would solve our loose and straying equines problem straight away.

Advertisement