Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taboos in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Proclaiming your not interested in GAA especially when your home county is in the final. I'm from Mayo and in the last few years I've had to pretend I'm really disappointed when we loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Smoking in houses that are shared with non-smokers.
    In general, smoking in shared spaces seems to be a lot more frowned upon in Ireland than most countries

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Discussion of wealth.

You should, by rights, pretend to have purchased everything you own in Penney's for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Saying you drink neither tea nor coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Not littering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not owning a car: some people look at me as if i have two heads when i say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

I think that being seen to have emotions or be emotionally affected by events in your life seems taboo in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not owning a car: some people look at me as if i have two heads when i say that.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Saying you support a football team from this country is certainly taboo. Allow me to demonstrate.

''Who do you support?''
    ''Shelbourne.''
    ''No but who do you really support?''

You have to pretend to be a Manc or a Scouser and call each other the scum and things like that. Basically you're to adopt English football as if it's your own... unless England are playing that is.
    Saying you drink neither tea nor coffee.
    Vita nova wrote: »
    In general, smoking in shared spaces seems to be a lot more frowned upon in Ireland than most countries
    AllForIt wrote: »
    Proclaiming your not interested in GAA especially when your home county is in the final. I'm from Mayo and in the last few years I've had to pretend I'm really disappointed when we loose.
    RayM wrote: »
    Hating the Irish rugby team, and all who sail in it.
    Ludikrus wrote: »
    Hating GAA

I don't think people understand the word taboo.

Taboo means something that people don't talk about not peculiarities that people find odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Telling a Barry's tea drinker that you drink Lyons:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Putting new shoes on the table
    WTF is all that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Steve F wrote: »
    Putting new shoes on the table
    WTF is all that about?

What IS it about? I've never heard anything about that. It must REALLY be taboo. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Saying that Jack Charlton wasted a golden generation of players who could have done a lot more if they didn't just hoof the ball up into the air and keep passing it back to the keeper, and ultimately 88, 90, and 94 were failures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

Expressing admiration for Israel or Jews in general.

Criticizing the lgbt movement.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think people understand the word taboo.

Taboo means something that people don't talk about not peculiarities that people find odd.

You have a point but the meaning of taboo is a lot broader than you present:

Synonyms (http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/taboo)
    Banned, outlawed, prohibited, unthinkable, anathema, disapproved, forbidden, proscribed, reserved, restricted, unmentionable, beyond the pale, frowned on, illegal, off limits, out of bounds, ruled out, unacceptable
    Etymology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo)
    The term "taboo" comes from the Tongan tapu or Fijian tabu ("prohibited", "disallowed", "forbidden"),[3] related among others to the Maori tapu, Hawaiian kapu, Malagasy fady. Its English use dates to 1777 when the British explorer James Cook visited Tonga, and referred to the Tongans' use of the term "taboo" for "any thing is forbidden to be eaten, or made use of".[4] He wrote:

Not one of them would sit down, or eat a bit of any thing.... On expressing my surprise at this, they were all taboo, as they said; which word has a very comprehensive meaning; but, in general, signifies that a thing is forbidden.[5]

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You have a point but the meaning of taboo is a lot broader than you present:

Yes, so saying you prefer Lyons over Barry's is not taboo.

Or shoes on the table is superstition not taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    A German (true story) once mentioned to me that Ireland seems a little anti-Jewish as 'we' are staunch supporters of Palestine and didn't give a fook during WW2 about the Jews seeking refuge. Also our president sending his condolences for the passing of Herr Hitler also raises eyebrows!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, so saying you prefer Lyons over Barry's is not taboo.

Or shoes on the table is superstition not taboo.

No, but go back and look at all the cases you list (7 in total) in your original post and apply the definition above and you'll see how some of them could certainly be considered taboo in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Not saying thanks for the bus driver ;)

I think a lot of taboos still exist in Ireland when talking to anyone over the age of about 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

pone2012 wrote: »
    Totally agree to this... I love reading, hate drinking..did the obligatory bit of drinking from 18/22 but it got old fast... Started reading, training and studying

I barely see my friends anymore as a side effect...

I think there's a problem with people been seen drunk in public now as well. Where when I started out drinking back when I was younger it was more acceptable and common place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Abortion.
    Contributing the cause of the Troubles to any one else other than IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

The oul lung cancer thing and other related illnesses probably to blame for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Building roads through or near fairy forts:)
    To me this is the only serious answer that actually fits the OP. It's fairly unique to Ireland (although there are other countries like this)and genuinely taboo for those who follow it. Every other taboo mentioned is just "something 2% of the population might internally frown at you for".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Resist ZOG wrote: »

Criticizing the lgbt movement.

Ah sure the Jews are a great bunch of lads altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Speaking ill of the dead.

Even if the deceased was an insufferable prick/arsehole/bitch.

Talking about people with disabilities in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Asking Gals for Anal....

Advertisement