Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Moto G5S - G5S+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    The G5S Plus is available on Amazon.it for €229 for the next two hours.

It's been €229 since yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I have a G5s case that I bought instead of a G5S Plus.

Willing to post on for free if someone shoots me a pm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Hi,

what are peoples thoughts on 5gs vs 5gs plus?

I prefer the sound of 5gs as sounds like other one is slightly too big to use one handed and only other difference is the dual cameras which I wouldnt get much use from.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Looking for advice please. If I buy the Moto G5S from amazon.de is there a way to check if it will work in the USA? A couple of years ago my wife bought the Moto G3(XT1541) from amazon.fr and it would not work on the USA networks at all which was a disaster on holiday. Checked it on http://willmyphonework.net/ while we were there :(

27zknpl.jpg

What is the exact model number of the G5S being sold through amazon.de please?

I really need this phone to be able to connect to USA networks(AT&T, T-Mobile etc.), I don't suppose anyone has tried this handset over there yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It will work on some carriers but not on Sprint for example. You may have to go into the phone options *#*#4636#*#* to change the radio option if you're in an area without strong GSM coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

It will work on some carriers but not on Sprint for example. You may have to go into the phone options *#*#4636#*#* to change the radio option if you're in an area without strong GSM coverage.

It's primarily the most common carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile that I'd like to be able to connect to. Do we know the exact model number of the G5S being sold through amazon.it/de - can someone who has bought one take a look inside and it should say beside the battery:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's primarily the most common carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile that I'd like to be able to connect to. Do we know the exact model number of the G5S being sold through amazon.it/de - can someone who has bought one take a look inside and it should say beside the battery:)

The back is sealed isn't it? I'll check the girlfriends later for a model number.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phone-details/378/Motorola-Moto-G5S?prepay=1

What about this one at Tesco mobile? Would it be difficult to route and unlock later if I wanted to change network? It's €229 sold locally and I don't want the larger plus.

Board.surf wrote: »
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/phone-details/378/Motorola-Moto-G5S?prepay=1

What about this one at Tesco mobile? Would it be difficult to route and unlock later if I wanted to change network? It's €229 sold locally and I don't want the larger plus.

I am in the process of returning it as thet won't unlock it. Just bought it off amazon uk instead for about the same price.

I am in the process of returning it as thet won't unlock it. Just bought it off amazon uk instead for about the same price.

When you say they, do you mean Tesco won't unlock it? I am asking if it can be unlocked otherwise, Tesco obviously won't do it for you. I've bought locked phones before and unlocked then with a process from online that took 19 minutes,

• Advertisement

When you say they, do you mean Tesco won't unlock it? I am asking if it can be unlocked otherwise, Tesco obviously won't do it for you. I've bought locked phones before and unlocked then with a process from online that took 19 minutes,

Sorry for confusion. Yes tesco will not unlock it.

Sorry for confusion. Yes tesco will not unlock it.

I think it is a given that a company wouldn't sell a phone on their network and then unlock it. It works out at about €240 euros from amazon. Having bought one from amazon that arrived broken, I won't be shopping with them again for electronics. I also bought cases for it, and they sent me the wrong cases.

Regardless, does anyone know how easily it could be unlocked if I bought the phone from Tesco? I'm finding it difficult to confirm online as there are so many variants of the phone. I'd prefer to just pick it up in the town if the option was there to unlock it in future.

I think it is a given that a company wouldn't sell a phone on their network and then unlock it. It works out at about €240 euros from amazon. Having bought one from amazon that arrived broken, I won't be shopping with them again for electronics. I also bought cases for it, and they sent me the wrong cases.

Regardless, does anyone know how easily it could be unlocked if I bought the phone from Tesco? I'm finding it difficult to confirm online as there are so many variants of the phone. I'd prefer to just pick it up in the town if the option was there to unlock it in future.

Respectfully disagree. They are selling the phone at its retail unlocked price. So I don't see how Tesco can justify locking it as it's anti competitive.

I buy loads of electronics off amazon and never had an issue. Sure they don't make the phone. Only middleman same as Tesco or any other shop.

Respectfully disagree. They are selling the phone at its retail unlocked price. So I don't see how Tesco can justify locking it as it's anti competitive.

I buy loads of electronics off amazon and never had an issue. Sure they don't make the phone. Only middleman same as Tesco or any other shop.

Jeez, look it's obvious. It's a Tesco mobile phone and specifically says in the t&cs. I'm not saying it's moral or convenient. But everyone knows and expects it to be a Tesco mobile phone when that's what you bought. All networks do it, and it's not Tesco mobile ireland only who do this! I also never said anything about your experiences with amazon. I'm entitled to my opinions and my experience have been different. The item wasn't packaged well and broke as a result. That was amazons fault.

Anyway, I asked a question and politely want to see if someone knows the answer. I'm not here to debate you on whether or not my opinions are allowed. About amazon, or about the sales policy of Tesco mobile and whether you should read a product description before purchase. Thanks.

Jeez, look it's obvious. It's a Tesco mobile phone and specifically says in the t&cs. I'm not saying it's moral or convenient. But everyone knows and expects it to be a Tesco mobile phone when that's what you bought. All networks do it, and it's not Tesco mobile ireland only who do this! I also never said anything about your experiences with amazon. I'm entitled to my opinions and my experience have been different. The item wasn't packaged well and broke as a result. That was amazons fault.

Anyway, I asked a question and politely want to see if someone knows the answer. I'm not here to debate you on whether or not my opinions are allowed. About amazon, or about the sales policy of Tesco mobile and whether you should read a product description before purchase. Thanks.

Noone said your opinion is not allowed. Stop playing the victim and being dramatic. Hope you get sorted on the phone. I'll leave you to it

Does anyone know, in general, if you can unlock a g5s or g5s plus to any network, if it's locked to one network. Years ago you could pay like €20'and get it done or DIY online.

The companies that provide codes are saying they don't have them for this handset yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Board.surf wrote:

I got mine on Amazon UK for the same price unlocked. Very impressed with the phone, the only disappointment being no compass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've had decent success in getting phones unlocked at local unlocking stores. More reliable than the web in my personal experience. YMMV.

The problem is updates. I'd prefer a unlocked phone from new (without a carrier firmware) as it gets updates better.

I got mine on Amazon UK for the same price unlocked. Very impressed with the phone, the only disappointment being no compass.

Compass is such a weird omission. The G3 had it, the G4 and G5 don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

beauf wrote: »
    The problem is updates. I'd prefer a unlocked phone from new (without a carrier firmware) as it gets updates better.

Lenovo aren't exactly pulling their finger out on the updates for this phone, last security patch is June 1, 2017..

I'm worried about BlueBorne, the bluetooth vulnerability, not really concerned with the recent client/handshake issue surrounding wifi..

There's a lot of, 'script kiddie' friendly apps and scripts for BlueBorne.

The Lenovo forums are like stodgy porridge, not very dynamic or satisfying, for such a large company.

Features are being removed from the phone too, the camera app is being tweaked every week or so, not always for the better, oversaturation gone, HDR blur introduced, followed by the removal of slow motion recording.

Anyone thinking about this phone, If you're not bothered by NFC, I'd strongly recommend looking at reviews for the Xiaomi Mi A1 (https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1-8776.php), or the Nokia phones, if you can find them.

I forgot what a blessing getting regular security updates is, coming from a Nexus 5..

Oh well.

Armis Security, who published a comprehensive paper on BlueBorne, have an app for testing your device's vulnerability to BlueBorne.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.armis.blueborne_detector&hl=en

Technical paper attached as a .pdf also.

• Advertisement

I was disappointed with the updated from all my MotoG phones. I though it would be a mini nexus or pixel with regard to updates but it isn't.

Best for updates seems to be Apple Google Phones, and Windows Phones. All the other are woeful with the exception of flagship phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Folks, have had Moto phones the last few years and no issues, I want to move from my G+ to either a G5S+ or a Samsung A7 2017 and can't decide between the two after endless internet comparisons so onto here for advice.
    I will go for one with the better camera.

Opinions?
    Cheers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭budhabob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭SM01

Hi all, apologies to begin with for hijacking a thread. A quick question regarding unlocking a Moto G5.

O2 in the Uk are selling the Moto G5 for £90 in a black Friday deal. I'm thinking of buying it for my father (he's using an original Moto E with a Three SIM presently.)

Does anyone know if the process of unlocking a G5 is straightforward and easy to do with an eBay code from a reliable seller. At this price it's very tempting.

Thanks in advance

Online codes can be hit and miss though you get a refund with the better services if they can't get an unlock.

I prefer going to a shop for an unlock they usually go that bit extra effort in my experience.

That said just buying it unlocked can be worth the extra. It will often be on a generic firmware that might get updates better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

SM01 wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies to begin with for hijacking a thread. A quick question regarding unlocking a Moto G5.

O2 in the Uk are selling the Moto G5 for £90 in a black Friday deal. I'm thinking of buying it for my father (he's using an original Moto E with a Three SIM presently.)

Does anyone know if the process of unlocking a G5 is straightforward and easy to do with an eBay code from a reliable seller. At this price it's very tempting.

Thanks in advance

Would be interested in this also as I was about to pull the trigger on amazon for £129. Also buying for a parent. How much are codes on eBay roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Moto G5S Plus.

Updates being pushed out to Euro versions of this phone. Purchased mine from Amazon.it, finally got a patch for it last night.

NPSS26.116-26-4

Android security patch level
    1 October 2017

Edit: Blueborne Bluetooth vulnerability has been patched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Any negatives to purchasing this from Amazon.it? Any extra steps required on receipt of the phone?

Advertisement