Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Moto G5S - G5S+

Options
  • 14-08-2017 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

The Lenovo Moto G5S and G5S+ are available for, seemingly, immediate despatch, via Amazon.it (Italy).

G5S+: https://www.amazon.it/Lenovo-Smartphone-Memoria-Interna-Grigio/dp/B0744VXT1B/

Disponibilita immediata.

I placed an order.. I'll lose out on a UK charger, but Clove and Amazon.co.uk aren't shipping till late August, early September.

Both Clove and Amazon.it specifically mention NFC, both sites also use proper and correct pictures of the phone, while Amazon.co.uk does not..

Sealed phone, battery is enclosed.. Camera is dual lens, which I've never owned myself. Look forward to this. The buttons seem better quality too, which was a criticism of the Moto G5 and G5 Plus.

---

Full disassembly. Battery = Motorola HG30, with proper socket for wires and elastic pull tabs. There is scope to replace it, if you really need to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Very nice to see they are bringing back the 5.5" Moto G. They were being scallywags reducing the G5 to 5.2", it was purely marketing to sit it under the Moto Z Play which has the same processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭914

Only €11 more than the current g5 plus. Great price

There's already a review on the Amazon.it site.

The phone still does not have a compass.

The motion screen activate is now through the power button instead, much like Nexus devices, instead of hand motions in front of the screen.

Some blurring using the selfie camera, but user admits it could just be them not being used to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

That particular one doesn't appear to be dual Sim?

Might matter to some.
    May have to wait for that one on Amazon.de?

• Advertisement

biebiebie wrote: »
    That particular one doesn't appear to be dual Sim?

Might matter to some.
    May have to wait for that one on Amazon.de?

The reviewer is saying it is either a second SIM or a MicroSD, noth both.

Amalgam wrote: »
    The reviewer is saying it is either a second SIM or a MicroSD, noth both.

Strange. The G5 Plus Dual Sim has 2 Sims and 1 SD (all at the same time).

So if true about the 5S dual Sim then that could be a backwards step for some.

Youtube user, Manuel Felice Alonzi (https://www.youtube.com/user/alonzimanuel) has posted up the first unboxing of the Moto G5S+, in the last few hours.

The phone popped up last week on Amazon Italy, ready for delivery, a few customers seem to have got their hands on an early batch.

There's a language barrier if you're not Italian.. but he goes through the unboxing, power on, OS and camera in a clear manner.

PRIMO UNBOXING MOTO G5S PLUS

Recensione MOTO G5s PLUS

Focus on camera MOTO G5s Plus

4k30 sample MOTO G5S PLUS

(nice and clear full screen)

Sample rallenty MOTO G5S PLUS (slow motion)

Sample 1080p60 MOTO G5S PLUS

Sample 720p30 MOTO G5S PLUS

---

I'm impressed. I'm coming from a Nexus 5, that's the only previous experience I have of a proper wedge like phone..

I picked mine up for €269, including P&P. Roll on delivery day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

These are popping up on Amazon.co.uk today for Pre-order

G5s plus - £259 approx €283

G5s - £219 approx €239

The G5s plus is probably pushing my budget but then i am really unsure if i should go for the g5s or the g5 plus.

Decisions to be made !

Looking at the specs am i right in thinking G5 < G5s < G5 Plus < G5s Plus .

There is very little between the G5s and the G5 Plus - Processor is the difference really. But if i get the G5s i can get the UK charger etc and not need to be messing around ordering it seperate.

Outkast_IRE, here's a side by side compare listing at GSM Arena.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8698&idPhone2=8699

---

Not just the main processor.

Horses for courses.. strange little speed bumps making the choice difficult.

The Plus model only has Bluetooth 4.1, as opposed to 4.2 on the G5S.

Only the Plus will have 4K recording or any of the depth of field effects associated with the dual lens set up.

The raw pixel 'count' of the single lens is 16M, versus 2x13M on the Plus.

5.2" screen for 5S, 5.5" for the Plus.

Adreno 505 GPU in the G5S, Adreno 506 GPU in the G5S Plus.

I went for the Plus because I wanted to geek out on the camera, the idea of changing the depth of field after taking a photo is just pretty neat.

Reminds me of commercial products like the, 'Lytro'. Manuel Felice Alonzi touches on this further up the thread, by using a slider to alter a photo, after taking it.

Pull the video time bar to 3m40s for depth of field shenanigans.

• Advertisement

I hate the way it says Moto on the top of the screen glass

But if i get the G5s i can get the UK charger etc and not need to be messing around ordering it seperate.

I have the G5 Plus from Germany.
    I just use a EU to 3 pin converter I got in Argos for about a fiver. Works perfectly and turbo charging isn't affected at all.
    A 2 pin charger is handy when you're abroad also ;)

Do note that there is no compass sensor on these new Moto G's. Google Maps on foot will be a pain in the ass to use without a compass sensor. It's essential for orientation, you will be like Mr Bean walking one way and then realising it should have been the other way. It's desperately annoying.

Think i will pull the trigger on the Moto G5s Plus at the weekend.

Seem to be able to get the Phone, Screen Protectors and a good case for about €300 all in. Thats not bad at all.

Got the phone this morning, lovely phone.

XT1805 Moto G5S Plus 3+32GB Lunar Grey

269 Euro all in, P&P included.

Ordered from Amazon Italy, but all signs seem to suggest despatched from Amazon UK.

---

Delighted with my purchase.

Milled from a single chunk of 'metal', I couldn't tell you what type of material it is though..

Slippy in that brushed aluminium way, you'll need a bumper at the very least, to give yourself piece of mind.

My 'Single-SIM' has in fact, dual sims, but at the expense of using a MicroSD card, very clear dialogue for setting up one SIM as a 'preferred data' SIM.

Phone box is tiny, like a plump paperback, delivered in a standard Amazon C2 parcel.

---

Some negative stuff, Microsoft Outlook app prompts a, 'account found' dialogue and puts a tick beside any Gmail account you've offered when setting up the phone. This may confuse you as you've not arrived at any Gmail app prompting beforehand. Just hit Skip and once you're in to the UI, Google services will kick in and have your email ready in the Gmail app.

Annoying, confused me somewhat at the start.

A LinkedIn app is there too, placed on the front screen, the app seems hardwired in. Pity. I don't intend to root, so, it's a case of just disabling..

Fingerprint scanner is quick and there's clear dialogue for supplementing that with either a shape or numeric password to unlock the phone from an Off state. Great stuff.

More stuff in a bit..

€269 all in is very impressive for what you are getting with this.

Did you get it through parcel motel?

Straight from Amazon, delivered direct.

Price on this phone seems to be creeping up, hovering between 300 and and 330, depending on where you browse.

If you still have a chance to get in under the 'pre-order' price guarantee, on Amazon UK, do so.

This model does indeed have NFC and.. an FM radio, which I am pleased to have! ..just to state that.

I have yet to try any USB thumb drive access..

Amalgam wrote: »
    Straight from Amazon, delivered direct.

Price on this phone seems to be creeping up, hovering between 300 and and 330, depending on where you browse.

If you still have a chance to get in under the 'pre-order' price guarantee, on Amazon UK, do so.

Its listed at €259 on amazon italy right now

Set up dialogue menu on first power up is: English (US).

So, ordering from italy shouldn't pose a problem, for language, when setting up.

Get yourself a bumper, at the very least.

Charger is Europe two prong, with a rather short lead, 1m, 1.5m..? at the max.

USB Media Explorer works fine. Plugged in a Leefco Access microSD Reader (microUSB), with a SanDisk 16GB card inserted, contents popped up as expected.

No system prompts or hurdles to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very nice to see they are bringing back the 5.5" Moto G. They were being scallywags reducing the G5 to 5.2", it was purely marketing to sit it under the Moto Z Play which has the same processor.

A lot of people myself include prefer the smaller size.

So put in the order last friday and still no confirmed date from amazon.co.uk.
    Trying to be patient here but the case and screen protectors have been delivered already.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My girlfriend got a Moto Z Play from Amazon last week but it needs to be rebooted everytime you want to charge it so we are returning it.

She really liked the Z but did say she found it hard to reach the opposite side of the screen when using one hand.

I've been looking at other Motorola's for her and am stuck between the G5 Plus and the G5S Plus.

Currently the G5S Plus is €229 from amazon.it.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

emmetkenny wrote: »
    My girlfriend got a Moto Z Play from Amazon last week but it needs to be rebooted everytime you want to charge it so we are returning it.

She really liked the Z but did say she found it hard to reach the opposite side of the screen when using one hand.

I've been looking at other Motorola's for her and am stuck between the G5 Plus and the G5S Plus.

Any thoughts?

That's a great price but at 5.5 inch, it's too big for my shirt pockets. Will continue to wait for the moto x4.

Any thoughts?

Great price for the g5s plus. Although if she found it difficult to navigate with one hand the g5s plus is also 5.5 inch the same as the z play.

You could possibly look at the g5 plus as that has a 5inch screen and would be easier to navigate.

Moto g5s has a 5.2 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

914 wrote: »
    Great price for the g5s plus. Although if she found it difficult to navigate with one hand the g5s plus is also 5.5 inch the same as the z play.

You could possibly look at the g5 plus as that has a 5inch screen and would be easier to navigate.

Moto g5s has a 5.2 inch screen.

I'd say the one handed use was more to do with coming from a OPX than anything.

Is there much of a difference in specs for the G5S Plus and G5 Plus?

I'd say the one handed use was more to do with coming from a OPX than anything.

Is there much of a difference in specs for the G5S Plus and G5 Plus?

Size, processor and camera are the differences

You can compare both here http://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8699&idPhone2=8453

I think the g5s plus is better priced to.

914 wrote: »
    Size, processor and camera are the differences

You can compare both here http://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8699&idPhone2=8453

I think the g5s plus is better priced to.

I thought that the processors are both the same in the EU model - Snapdragon 625?

One other difference is that the older G5 Plus has 2 X SIM trays plus a third for an SD card (pro)

As far as I know ahe G5S plus uses a hybrid system so you can have 2xsims but no SD card or 1 SIM + 1 SD card but not all 3 at the same time (con).

biebiebie wrote: »
    I thought that the processors are both the same in the EU model - Snapdragon 625?

One other difference is that the older G5 Plus has 2 X SIM trays plus a third for an SD card (pro)

As far as I know ahe G5S plus uses a hybrid system so you can have 2xsims but no SD card or 1 SIM + 1 SD card but not all 3 at the same time (con).

Your right just checked moto uk and it states the following for moto g5 plus

"Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 625 processor with 2.0 GHz octa-core CPU and 650 MHz Adreno 506 GPU"

https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-g-plus#Specifications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

The G5S Plus is available on Amazon.it for €229 for the next two hours.

Advertisement