Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

SG317 wrote: »
    Does Go Ahead park their Streetlites, in the red car park at the Airport? Saw 3 Streetlites parked there. Would explain why the route always has single deckers on it, eventhough they are not really suited for it.

Yes they use it as an outstation for the 33a, 33b, 102 and 2 duties on the 17a. The 17a buses they park there are double deckers. Saw two SGs and a Streetlite parked there last time I was there.

They have a small outstation at the airport now, so some buses are parked there overnight. If a route has single deckers on it, it's because the NTA insist that it must have single deckers. There is absolutely nothing that Go Ahead can do about that. They've tried, but the NTA are utter clowns who don't listen and cannot be reasoned with.

How come if that's the case nearly all single deck routes also get double deckers from time to time. The 111 which I know is interworked with the 59 on Sundays but even during the week there's nearly always a single and a double on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    How come if that's the case nearly all single deck routes also get double deckers from time to time. The 111 which I know is interworked with the 59 on Sundays but even during the week there's nearly always a single and a double on it.

59 can't be anything but double...

59 can't be anything but double...

I know but I was talking about during the week when the two routes are not interworked afaik. The 111 never needs double deckers unlike some of the other single deck routes. Should have some smaller wheelbase Streetlites the same as DB WSs as double deckers are completely nessecary on the 59.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

As far as I remember, they were given permission back in October to have one double decker on the 184/185 all day Mon-Fri because of overcrowding issues on the 184. This was back when they only had nine routes and plenty of spare buses, so the NTA were more flexible. There is only a double decker on the 111 for one run each way on weekday afternoons (between 15:25 and 17:23), which then runs dead from Brides Glen to Stillorgan to do a short 75a to Tallaght at 17:55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SG317

I meant more that it explains why the single decker allocation on the 102 is so strict. As, I have seen double deckers a number of times on the 111, 184, 185, 238 and 239 and I have seen them on the 161 even. However I have yet to see a double decker on the 102. For instance the Bray and Blanchardstown locals get more double deckers on weekends at least they did 2 months ago anyway. However the 102 which could actually use the double deckers on the weekends is allocated single deckers. The reasoning seems mainly to be that the route is outbased in the the Airport, thus it's cheaper to allocate it single deckers which are more fuel efficient. The same reason why Dublin Bus only allocate GTs and SGs to the 84/A which is outbased in Bray.

I am aware that the NTA have guidelines for single and double decker routes. However it is worth pointing out that the 63, 114 and 236 whci2h all can be SD operated are DD operated. The 236 which was previously allocated SDs is now DD operated only because it is interworked with the 76A. Therefore, if GAI are allowed to put DDs on SD routes just so they can be interworked with DD routes, it would seem ludicrous that they are not allowed to put at least some DDs on a SD route that actually needs the extra capacity. Furthermore, they stated on their Twitter feed that 102 will get some DDs when they receive their additional SGs. However, the new SGs have arrived and yet the 102 is still entirely SD operated.

I meant more that it explains why the single decker allocation on the 102 is so strict. As, I have seen double deckers a number of times on the 111, 184, 185, 238 and 239 and I have seen them on the 161 even. However I have yet to see a double decker on the 102. For instance the Bray and Blanchardstown locals get more double deckers on weekends at least they did 2 months ago anyway. However the 102 which could actually use the double deckers on the weekends is allocated single deckers. The reasoning seems mainly to be that the route is outbased in the the Airport, thus it's cheaper to allocate it single deckers which are more fuel efficient. The same reason why Dublin Bus only allocate GTs and SGs to the 84/A which is outbased in Bray.

There have actually been double deckers on the 102 I've seen pictures of them online. Every route GAI operate apart from the 59 has had both double and single deckers at some stage. When the Malahide Castle concerts the 102 was operated solely by double deckers and there were single deckers on the Southside routes like the 63, 75, 17, 18, 76, 114 and 175.

I don't think it's anything to do with fuel savings and more to do with routes being interworked. The 102 is interworked with the 33a and 33b both of which are single deck and perfectly fine with single deckers. Also when they first took over the 76 and 18 both had single and double deckers due their capacity shortage.
    I am aware that the NTA have guidelines for single and double decker routes. However it is worth pointing out that the 63, 114 and 236 whci2h all can be SD operated are DD operated. The 236 which was previously allocated SDs is now DD operated only because it is interworked with the 76A. Therefore, if GAI are allowed to put DDs on SD routes just so they can be interworked with DD routes, it would seem ludicrous that they are not allowed to put at least some DDs on a SD route that actually needs the extra capacity. Furthermore, they stated on their Twitter feed that 102 will get some DDs when they receive their additional SGs. However, the new SGs have arrived and yet the 102 is still entirely SD operated.

I think the NTA made a mistake buying 40 single deckers. I fully agree that there should be single deckers on lower capacity routes but 40 was too many. They should have got 20 or 30 single deckers 5-10 of which should've been shorter ones and put them on the 33b, 59, 63, 104, 111, 114, 161, 185, 220, 236, 238, 239 and 270 rotating some with double deckers fir example the 63 would be good with singles and doubles mixed as it can get busy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

The reason why u would see more double deckers on certain routes on a Sunday let's say is because there is spare double deckers in the garage...I'm based on the 184/185 and on a Sunday if I'm starting from the garage I always ask the supervisor for a double decker and get one if they are spare it's good to get a break even for day from driving those single deckers

ax586 wrote: »
    The reason why u would see more double deckers on certain routes on a Sunday let's say is because there is spare double deckers in the garage...I'm based on the 184/185 and on a Sunday if I'm starting from the garage I always ask the supervisor for a double decker and get one if they are spare it's good to get a break even for day from driving those single deckers

Would say that costs them more in fuel. You'd think a private company like GAI would be looking to save as much money as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Would say that costs them more in fuel. You'd think a private company like GAI would be looking to save as much money as possible.

I sometimes come back with more fuel in the double than the single...and I was blessed I had a double on Sunday 3 times I was full after leaving Bray main street on the 184

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

LastStop wrote: »
    unions?

Really? You propose a solution that seems quite obvious to help with an event, and expect it's not possible to use this day by day because of a scaremongering response. Instead of because there doesn't seem to be one at all? I'd not expect that to be much of a gap in the market either by the way. When companies are vying for drivers, who'd work for an agency that'll give sporadic work?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Really? You propose a solution that seems quite obvious to help with an event, and expect it's not possible to use this day by day because of a scaremongering response. Instead of because there doesn't seem to be one at all? I'd not expect that to be much of a gap in the market either by the way. When companies are vying for drivers, who'd work for an agency that'll give sporadic work?

Drivers with multiple categories of licence who would be looking for work if their is nothing suitable on HGV work that week.

Didn't DB want to bring in part time workers and the unions said over our dead bodies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

devnull wrote: »
    It has been commented in a few places that the passenger figures that the NTA used to determine what routes got single deckers were based on data from when those routes were run by Dublin Bus.

If that is the case, then either the data supplied by Dublin Bus was inaccurate and under reported passenger numbers, or there were a lot of passengers who were traveling on those services without paying or validating their ticket.

The Streetlite is a lightweight, economical vehicle with excellent fuel consumption as that's what it's designed to do. It's a fair bit cheaper to run than a full double decker which weighs a huge amount more and therefore is more fuel hungry.

Has anyone in the NTA ever seen a 102 in operation, not passenger figures on a sheet or presentation slide?

Anyone with a pulse who had seen one would know single deckers are unsuitable for its loads. Regardless of how cheaper it is to run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

LastStop wrote: »
    Drivers with multiple categories of licence who would be looking for work if their is nothing suitable on HGV work that week.

Didn't DB want to bring in part time workers and the unions said over our dead bodies.

I dont recall it, but we arent talking about dublin bus. And there's still no agencies out there that provide that service for bus drivers on demand or of any frequency. It tends to be coaches running services for operators. Like what used to happen with bus eireann (unsure if it still does).

There should have been private buses put on on for the concerts in addition to the 75 and 175 I know there some from Dundrum Luas Stop but there also should have been some from DL and Tallaght aswell put on by either the NTA or the concert promoters. Would've helped take some of the strain off the 75 and 175.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

dfx- wrote: »
    Has anyone in the NTA ever seen a 102 in operation, not passenger figures on a sheet or presentation slide?

Dublin Bus as a company gets approx €50m a year in taxpayer funding for what some deem as comercially unviable but socially necessary routes and services which is equivlent to over 1,200 people in Ireland on the average wage.

You would like to think that an operator getting such money running over 100 routes which many say are not getting the volumes needed to make them break even would know how many passengers were using their services. If they do not then how can we judge if the subsidy levels are too much, not enough or just right and if they are delivering value for money from the public purse?

If they are under reporting the passengers number as has been previously suggested, then it would suggest that either something has gone wrong with the process of calculating and reporting such numbers or that there are a number of passengers who are traveling going below the radar, perhaps users who are being waved on and not validating their free travel passes.

If the NTA have seen correct passenger numbers and still specified vehicles that do not meet the needs, then of course the NTA has made an error here, one which would be hard to understand bearing in mind that they were always going to carry the can for such issue, so hard to see a motivation for them to intentionally specify single deckers for routes for which it full well knows will not be adequate.

Simple fact is though if a regulator has to go out and count numbers of passengers on every service on every route because they cannot trust the figures they have been supplied, then that says more about the reliability of the supplier of the data, the accuracy of the recording equipment used or the methods used to do so and their suitability more than about the regulaor itself.

It would be interesting if someone would ask the NTA how they decided what routes to be single decker and double decker and see what ther response is, so we can verify if indeed this allocation was based on passenger information from prior to the switch over and if so, the passenger numbers prior to after the GAI transfer to see if there has been a large increase of what was reported before and after.

dfx- wrote: »

Dublin Bus as a company gets approx €50m a year in taxpayer funding for what some deem as comercially unviable but socially necessary routes and services which is equivlent to over 1,200 people in Ireland on the average wage.

You would like to think that an operator getting such money running over 100 routes which many say are not getting the volumes needed to make them break even would know how many passengers were using their services. If they do not then how can we judge if the subsidy levels are too much, not enough or just right and if they are delivering value for money from the public purse?

If they are under reporting the passengers number as has been previously suggested, then it would suggest that either something has gone wrong with the process of calculating and reporting such numbers or that there are a number of passengers who are traveling going below the radar, perhaps users who are being waved on and not validating their free travel passes.

If the NTA have seen correct passenger numbers and still specified vehicles that do not meet the needs, then of course the NTA has made an error here, one which would be hard to understand bearing in mind that they were always going to carry the can for such issue, so hard to see a motivation for them to intentionally specify single deckers for routes for which it full well knows will not be adequate.

Simple fact is though if a regulator has to go out and count numbers of passengers on every service on every route because they cannot trust the figures they have been supplied, then that says more about the reliability of the supplier of the data, the accuracy of the recording equipment used or the methods used to do so and their suitability more than about the regulaor itself.

It would be interesting if someone would ask the NTA how they decided what routes to be single decker and double decker and see what ther response is, so we can verify if indeed this allocation was based on passenger information from prior to the switch over and if so, the passenger numbers prior to after the GAI transfer to see if there has been a large increase of what was reported before and after.

Well first of all, it is worth baring in mind that the 102 while with Dublin Bus had a frequency of 20 minutes throughout some periods of the day which would of course mean there would be less people on each bus due to greater frequency. It is also worth mentioning that as has been widely reported single deckers on the 102 are unsuitable for the most part, so then why hasn't the route been converted to DDs by the NTA, when GAI's data should indicate that the 102 is having capacity issues as-well. Therefore, I don't get how you can blame DB for what you claim to be innacurate data, if GAI who also has data about loadings, are still being told to operate SDs by the NTA as you insinuate, based on the data that GAI are providing them. Therefore, I don't think it is fair to blame operators, for the NTA's SD routes, considering we don't know how the NTA chose which routes are to be SD operated and what data they based that off. It is also clear now that GAI has leniancy on what routes they can allocate DDs to, as they are allowed to allocate DDs on SD routes due to them being interworked l, therefore they could easily find a way to allocate sowe DDs on the 102 if they wanted to. However, due to the route being interworked with the 33A and 33B and it being outbased, it is more convenient for GAI to allocate SDs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

There should have been private buses put on on for the concerts in addition to the 75 and 175 I know there some from Dundrum Luas Stop but there also should have been some from DL and Tallaght aswell put on by either the NTA or the concert promoters. Would've helped take some of the strain off the 75 and 175.

That would have entirely MCDs problem. Nothing to do with the NTA. Dublin Bus or GoAhead.

The public seemed to blame the bus companies while MCD made serious profit and failed to provide a basic service.

Well first of all, it is worth baring in mind that the 102 while with Dublin Bus had a frequency of 20 minutes throughout some periods of the day which would of course mean there would be less people on each bus due to greater frequency.

Do you have a copy of the old timetable to hand by any chance so we can observe what the differences are so I can see how much of a factor this is?
    Therefore, I don't think it is fair to blame operators, for the NTA's SD routes, considering we don't know how the NTA chose which routes are to be SD operated and what data they based that off.

It's previously been said that it was based on ticket machine data from when Dublin Bus were running the services. We've not had any official word on if this is the case or not, but it would seem a logical way of doing it and certainly such information has been used to decide on timetables and vehicle allocation in the past and was also used for Network Direct and the Deloitte report into Dublin Bus efficiency.

Any operator that is being paid money to fill the gap between the number of passengers carried and the number needed to generate enough revenue to make the service viable without subsidy should know how many passengers they are carrying accurately. Free travel pass holders certainly are not all scanning their cards and I've seen some walk on the bus and a driver not do anything on his ticket machine to say they have got on, but I have no idea how widespread this is as I rarely am going up to the driver.

Maybe the NTA just decided to plump a single decker on a route they knew would have twice the demand that it could handle, but I just can't see why they would do that. One of the biggest critics of the NTA on here has said that the NTA wouldn't allow GAI to fail as it would show the NTA up with their own project, so if that was the case, then why would they set up GAI to fail by forcing them to run single decker routes where they are clearly unsuitable? It just wouldn't make sense.
    However, due to the route being interworked with the 33A and 33B and it being outbased, it is more convenient for GAI to allocate SDs on it.

I'm afraid you're putting 2+2 together here and coming up with 5 and trying to find reasons to back-up your theory rather than having anything to connect the two things in reality The 102 has been operated mostly by single deckers pretty much since day 1 of it being operated by GAI and the outbasing has only been a rather recent thing, so outbasing itself is not the reason for single deckers on the route.

Buses were detoured and I've never seen as such before around Marlay.

Last year there was 10s of extra 16s added as special runs and they got most out of the area.

It was a joke this year.

• Advertisement

Well first of all, it is worth baring in mind that the 102 while with Dublin Bus had a frequency of 20 minutes throughout some periods of the day which would of course mean there would be less people on each bus due to greater frequency.

Do you have a copy of the old timetable to hand by any chance so we can observe what the differences are so I can see how much of a factor this is?
    Therefore, I don't think it is fair to blame operators, for the NTA's SD routes, considering we don't know how the NTA chose which routes are to be SD operated and what data they based that off.

It's previously been said that it was based on ticket machine data from when Dublin Bus were running the services. We've not had any official word on if this is the case or not, but it would seem a logical way of doing it and certainly such information has been used to decide on timetables and vehicle allocation in the past and was also used for Network Direct and the Deloitte report into Dublin Bus efficiency.

Any operator that is being paid money to fill the gap between the number of passengers carried and the number needed to generate enough revenue to make the service viable without subsidy should know how many passengers they are carrying accurately. Free travel pass holders certainly are not all scanning their cards and I've seen some walk on the bus and a driver not do anything on his ticket machine to say they have got on, but I have no idea how widespread this is as I rarely am going up to the driver.

Maybe the NTA just decided to plump a single decker on a route they knew would have twice the demand that it could handle, but I just can't see why they would do that. One of the biggest critics of the NTA on here has said that the NTA wouldn't allow GAI to fail as it would show the NTA up with their own project, so if that was the case, then why would they set up GAI to fail by forcing them to run single decker routes where they are clearly unsuitable? It just wouldn't make sense.
    However, due to the route being interworked with the 33A and 33B and it being outbased, it is more convenient for GAI to allocate SDs on it.

I'm afraid you're putting 2+2 together here and coming up with 5 and trying to find reasons to back-up your theory rather than having anything to connect the two things in reality The 102 has been operated mostly by single deckers pretty much since day 1 of it being operated by GAI and the outbasing has only been a rather recent thing, so outbasing itself is not the reason for single deckers on the route.

From the old Dublin Bus timetables, the 102 was every 20 mins in the morning and midday and every half an hour up to 7, then every hour after 7, for Saturday. Weekdays, additional departures at peak times.

My point was, following your line of argument that overcrowding on the 102 from the SDs is due to DB ticket box data not accounting for all passengers, the same logic would apply to GAI as well. Since GAI has been operating the 102 for half a year now, their ticketbox data should show that the 102 is over capacity with SDs. However, if how some users have claimed, that the NTA won't let GAI operate DDs on the 102, then surely GAI's data would also not be factoring in all passengers. As the ticket box data will not be showing the actual amount of people using the route, hence why the NTA wouldn't allow DDs on the 102 as GAI's data would not be showing all the Free Pass holders and other passengers not counted by the ticket machines. So by your logic if DB gave the NTA innacururate data regarding loadings on the 102, GAI is also giving g them innacururate data, as if the NTA is still designating the 102 as a SD route, then the data GAI give the NTA from the ticket machines is innacurate as-well, as it is well documented that the 102 is full with the SDs a lot of the time.

You are right the 102 wasn't always outbased, however before it had long dead mileage to and from Ballymount, so operating SDs on the 102 from the start would have still been most convenient for GAI. So, either way if it is outbased or in Ballymount SDs are more convenient for GAI. Therefore, the fact that the 102 is so far from its base in Ballymount is one of the main reasons for SDs on the route, outbased, long dead mileage. Furthermore, it being outbased means that SDs are almost always on it, as if that is all that is kept in the red car park, then DDs can't appear on the 102.

From the old Dublin Bus timetables, the 102 was every 20 mins in the morning and midday and every half an hour up to 7, then every hour after 7, for Saturday. Weekdays, additional departures at peak times.

Do you have a copy of the timetable? The reason I ask is that if we are saying that the timetable with DB was a higher frequency which affected passenger numbers, then we can only really judge that by comparing the timetables.
    My point was, following your line of argument that overcrowding on the 102 from the SDs is due to DB ticket box data not accounting for all passengers, the same logic would apply to GAI as well.

In my experience GAI are not letting people through as easy without validating their pass or logging it on a ticket machine. I admit I use GAI less frequently than DB and the demographics of routes not serving the CC would be a little different so based on this what I'm saying is anecdotal rather than a considered study, but it's my experience none the less that this is the case.
    Since GAI has been operating the 102 for half a year now, their ticketbox data should show that the 102 is over capacity with SDs. However, if how some users have claimed, that the NTA won't let GAI operate DDs on the 102, then surely GAI's data would also not be factoring in all passengers. As the ticket box data will not be showing the actual amount of people using the route, hence why the NTA wouldn't allow DDs on the 102 as GAI's data would not be showing all the Free Pass holders and other passengers not counted by the ticket machines.

I don't know why that they are not sticking double deckers on these routes just like you don't. It's a question which should be asked of the NTA and I would suggest that you email them to find out the answer. I was just merely stating the fact that when there have been big service changes in the past, that passenger number counts have been done based on ticket machine data to predict demand, so I'd assume the same was done here. Assumption is a very dangerous thing, but as we don't have a crystal ball, we can only look at best practice for changes of these kind and what was done in the past, and all of these cases involve analysing passenger number data from ticket machines.

The one thing I have heard though is that some were surprised by the demand for some routes because the information that they had suggested that there would not be as many people using the services. So either the improvements that have been made to the services or enhanced timetables have resulted in a spike in usage, or the projections for passenger numbers were flawed, I would presume because they under estimated the passenger numbers required.

I do agree though that the important thing is that this situation is not allowed to carry on. If they have to divert a few double deckers from the DB order to keep a few AXs on for an extra year so be it. At the end of the day by the time the schools start the new academic year this issue needs to be resolved and it's unacceptable for the NTA to not address this in the coming weeks and months, I can understand why they may have found themselves in the position that they are, which may well not be their fault but they now need to take action to address it.
    So by your logic if DB gave the NTA innacururate data regarding loadings on the 102, GAI is also giving g them innacururate data.

So because one company gives inaccurate data the other one must be too? That is a big presumption to be making, as I've said, in my limited experience, GAI are letting less free travel pass holders through that DB who are waving people through. This may well be that as Go Ahead Ireland staff are new in a fairly recent company they had long lead in training and had no established culture which means it's easier to drum rules and adherence to them into staff.
    You are right the 102 wasn't always outbased, however before it had long dead mileage to and from Ballymount, so operating SDs on the 102 from the start would have still been most convenient for GAI. So, either way if it is outbased or in Ballymount SDs are more convenient for GAI. Therefore, the fact that the 102 is so far from its base in Ballymount is one of the main reasons for SDs on the route, outbased, long dead mileage.

That's a really disingenuous point to make I have to say. The fact was that when the service wasn't outbased it was almost fully single decker operated, so you cannot make a credible claim that being outbased is a main reason for it being single decker operated. The facts say something else. In any case, as recently as a fortnight ago double deckers have been on the 102 as I was on one to the airport!

Last route to have full on singles apart from 44b were 123 and that's going back a while too. Anything else has been double for years.

Last year there was 10s of extra 16s added as special runs and they got most out of the area.

It was a joke this year.

Heard from a local that Longitude will be moving to Malahide Castle next year so it shouldn't be an issue. At least that's on the Dart so public transport to it is better able to handle the crowds not sure if it's 100% true.

Last route to have full on singles apart from 44b were 123 and that's going back a while too. Anything else has been double for years.

The 59 and the 150 were single deckers too also don't forget about the bendybuses on the 4. Thought the 123 had an RV allocation for a while too. I believe AVs and AXs are banned from the route as they are too long for some of the tight turns around James'.

The 59 and the 150 were single deckers too also don't forget about the bendybuses on the 4. Thought the 123 had an RV allocation for a while too. I believe AVs and AXs are banned from the route as they are too long for some of the tight turns around James'.

The unions would have views on what vehicles can operate on what DB routes these days.

I know in Phibsborough there has been disagreements about what routes VTs should operate on and there was some discussion between Shop Stewards and management over what type of buses should operate on what routes in general following concerns about health and safety.

The unions would have views on what vehicles can operate on what DB routes these days.

I know in Phibsborough there has been disagreements about what routes VTs should operate on and there was some discussion between Shop Stewards and management over what type of buses should operate on what routes in general following concerns about health and safety.

Could be a bit of that alright look at the situation with the SGs on the 27 in Jobstown. To the best of my knowledge Ringsend only puts GTs now on the 27 now but Clontarf still puts SGs on it.

My personal belief is that GAI were given a list of routes that they are allowed put single deckers on and a list which must be double decker only and routes that they can put what they like on them. My guess is the busiest routes like the 17, 17a, 18, 75, 76/a and 175 were ordered to be double deckers and they could put what they like on the rest of the routes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That would have entirely MCDs problem. Nothing to do with the NTA. Dublin Bus or GoAhead.

The public seemed to blame the bus companies while MCD made serious profit and failed to provide a basic service.
    I blame the licence givers and the Gardai for not insisting this was part of the granting of the license to hold it. MCD should have been forced to provide buses eiter via paying the NTA, GAI, DB or private hire and have running shuttles back and forth from town all day long. Every big festival I have been to on the continent does this, very few people drive to them, it is constant shuttles from the nearest main train/bus station and major town.

It was a joke this year.
    Again, GAI can do nothign about it, DB would have gotten the farebox so there was an incentive, GAI have no incentive to even try unless NTA promise the farebox from such events or they go private with MCD, which makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

150 was half single deck and half deckers for years before it became completely deckered. And like you say the 123 had deckers along with WVs for years. Probably quite hard to pinpoint what the last completely single deck route was.

Advertisement