Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Celebs whinging how bad they have it!.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My point is painfully obvious. If you want to keep your privacy you can. No need for media stories and the following circus.

Papz at treatment facilities?!?!??!?!! You believe this?!?!!? This is not Los Angeles. But if you want to live in Lala land and think Paparazzi is camping outside Cuan Mhuire in the back arse of Athy in a tent or Aiseiri in the back arse of Tiperarry be my guest. I can assure you they arent though.

Didn't you base your whole post on Ant from Ant and Dec? Somehow I doubt he's getting treated in the back arse of Tipp.

I think the OP has a point that might have been lost. I certainly appreciate that a celebrity is as likely to suffer mental health issues as much as a celebrity is likely to, say, break a leg. Money doesn't immunise anyone from health issues.

Again, it's the whole way the matter is packaged now that I don't like, it's almost standardised, they have issues, they talk about it to some newspaper or chat show host, they end on some right on message of the "it's okay to not be okay" variety so it's simple enough for the 20 somethings to understand. There is no real analysis of the issue, it's all reduced to the point where it's useless information.

Even back in the 80s and 90s people like Dr. Anthony Clare had media profiles, a man extremely qualified to address the issue. These days? It's Bressie and co. That's not an advance, that's a dumbing down.

I just did a little research on Dr Clare. It seems he had a very popular radio show where 'slebs talked about their mental health issues. So it's apparently nothing new to publicize these issues, even if it is much more common.

I take your point that he was at least qualified, but I'd rather the over-sharing of today to the stigma of yesterday.

Perhaps in time the needle will settle somewhere in the middle again, or perhaps it never was and we're just more aware of every utterance of every minor personality through the magnification of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

anna080 wrote: »
    Didn't you base your whole post on Ant from Ant and Dec? Somehow I doubt he's getting treated in the back arse of Tipp.

No mentioned few celebs. Lets say for arguments sake paps did have photos of him. So what?. If he has learned ANYTHING at all in recovery its that peoples opinions dont matter at all. His sobreity/being clean is more important than peoples opinions surely.Otherwise hes learned NOTHING.
    If he was to get hung up with tabloid media hed be popping pills everytime some yahoo wrote of him online sure he'd be dead within a week.

I'd like to think his sobriety isn't that incredibly fragile and if it is that pathetic then its not worth having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

pilly wrote: »
    Believe me I've plenty of experience in addiction, both with money and without.

Harder with money.
    Fair point. I am I suppose referring more to not having any financial worries than being filthy rich. I have had my difficult times too, and not having to worry about money was a comfort in my experience.

No mentioned few celebs. Lets say for arguments sake paps did have photos of him. So what?. If he has learned ANYTHING at all in recovery its that peoples opinions dont matter at all. His sobreity/being clean is more important than peoples opinions surely.Otherwise hes learned NOTHING.
    If he was to get hung up with tabloid media hed be popping pills everytime some yahoo wrote of him online sure he'd be dead within a week.

I'd like to think his sobriety isn't that incredibly fragile and if it is that pathetic then its not worth having.

You know nothing about his sobriety. And you've inferred quite ignorantly about him and other people's struggles purely on the basis of them being celebrities. How people deal with their issues is entirely up to them.

• Advertisement

You know nothing about his sobriety. And you've inferred quite ignorantly about him and other people's struggles purely on the basis of them being celebrities. How people deal with their issues is entirely up to them.

Your right I dont know of his sobriety but if its so incredibly fragile that a pap taking his picture is a threat to him going on a bender than he doesn't stand much of a chance.Trust me on that.

Ignorantly inferred to what?. You just didn't like my tone. Meh.
    Did you read my previous posts even?. Didnt infer anything on them. Sick to death of them going public with their stories and the media having a field day with it. We all have struggles and I believe going public is not good for sobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I am sick of people like the OP who whinge about things similar to this.
    Your not forced to read or listen to it if you don't like it!

I am sick of people like the OP who whinge about things similar to this.
    Your not forced to read or listen to it if you don't like it!

Ditto this thread!. Who forced you to click on it? Pot is beside my black kettle, strange.

Ditto this thread!. Who forced you to click on it? Pot is beside my black kettle, strange.

I am giving you advice on an issue that you felt the need to create a thread about. People who start sill threads annoy me a little but not enough to create a thread moaning about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Depends on who we are talking about tho.
    One celebrity might be totally genuine. Coming out and talking about their genuine depression or addiction. May even wish to help others by saying it can happen to anyone. While another celebrity would say mass to just get their name out there and try to still keep relevant.

Problem is, it's hard to know who is genuine and who is playing the game.

• Advertisement

I am giving you advice on an issue that you felt the need to create a thread about. People who start sill threads annoy me a little but not enough to create a thread moaning about them.

Your giving me advice now on what exactly?. How gracious of you.

Can I ask does your Ego have it's own passport?.

Depends on who we are talking about tho.
    One celebrity might be totally genuine. Coming out and talking about their genuine depression or addiction. May even wish to help others by saying it can happen to anyone. While another celebrity would say mass to just get their name out there and try to still keep relevant.

Problem is, it's hard to know who is genuine and who is playing the game.

Very true. Ah being rough time for me and I'm being cynical lately so think they are all playing the media game.

You started a thread with an issue about celebrities talking about their personal lives. You clearly don't enjoy it but some people do. I gave you advice on how to avoid the issue that effected you so much that you needed to start a thread about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Simple solution; don't watch Ellen or read the likes of Heat if it bothers you that much.

Why are you so narky and rude? Are you usually this abrasive when you engage with people? I think you need to look inwards and ask yourself why such an insignificant thing winds you up so much. You've asked why do celebs go public, people have given examples why they might, but you've refuted every point with some insolent rant.
    Next time you find yourself getting so hot under the collar about a celebrity you've never met, just close the newspaper.

Why are you so narky and rude? Are you usually this abrasive when you engage with people? I think you need to look inwards and ask yourself why such an insignificant thing winds you up so much. You've asked why do celebs go public, people have given examples why they might, but you've refuted every point with some insolent rant.
    Next time you find yourself getting so hot under the collar about a celebrity you've never met, just close the newspaper.

Have you ever heard of psychological projection?. I very strongly recommend looking it up. I Suppose you think it's polite to call total strangers rude and abrasive eh!.

Insolent rant haha. I agree with loads of the people who have posted!.

The other poster "offered advice" per se. Not his or her place to do so That is egotistical and I made light of that. You really Gotta get a sense of humour pal (buy one on ebay maybe?)and stop being such a bloody snowflake!.

The other poster "offered advice" per se. Not his or her place to do so That is egotistical and I made light of that. You really Gotta get a sense of humour pal (buy one on ebay maybe?)and stop being such a bloody snowflake!.

I see no issue with what I posted and I wasn't the only one.
    You really got to stop reading things that bother you so much. Your the one with the overactive emotions if articles about celebrities effect you so much!

Have you ever heard of psychological projection?. I very strongly recommend looking it up. I Suppose you think it's polite to call total strangers rude and abrasive eh!.

Insolent rant haha. I agree with loads of the people who have posted!.

The irony of you calling me a snowflake when you're here having a meltdown over Ant from Ant and Dec entering rehab :pac:
    Bonne Nuit.

The irony of you calling me a snowflake when you're here having a meltdown over Ant from Ant and Dec entering rehab :pac:
    Bonne Nuit.

Haha yep meltdown alright won't sleep for weeks. Going to go outside now in the dark to break a few cars up to cool down haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Nothing against people being successful, rich, comfortable or even millionaires, but having a fraction of people with wealth equivalent to the GDP of Latvia while millions are being paid a pittance or starving in the third world just seems a ridiculously inefficient way to run the planet, if half of the wealth of the Gates and Soros ilk were taken off them and redistributed how could that be a bad thing in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I feel a lot of sympathy for Ant McPartlin to be honest.

If he said nothing about his issues, rest assured then certain quarters of the media would have torn him into pieces and turned all of his private business into front-page news for us all to gleefully gobble up. Celebrity in less than perfect human being shock, yum, yum, yum.

But by going public and trying to get ahead of the story, which seems a reasonable choice, given the alternative, he gets flack for having the temerity to speak about it. He can't win.

Also I don't understand how people don't get that Sinead O' Connor is an attention seeker AND someone suffering from mental illness; it isn't an either/or situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That's what makes it difficult, they have everything that people would give a limb to have a life like theirs, yet they still get hit by it.

The ops rant is cruel, ignorant and incorrect. It is treating the celebs like they are superhuman, yet they are not. The world thinks that they shouldn't suffer, yet they do. Depression, anxiety and addiction are human flaws and that is what they are, human.

They should not be forced to hide behind their public personas. They have every right to fight their illness what ever way they can to defeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I think the message is wrong.

Suddenly social media has taken up this whole "it's good to talk" mantra and I see people with no expertise or qualifications setting up Facebook pages and blogs dispensing advice on life and mental health issues that consist of glib memes. People like Dave Avocado Wolfe telling people one day not to judge others, and the next telling them to surround themselves with positive people...a phrase that seems to have passed into discourse on the issue.

You have a mental health issue? Talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Not a chat show host. And don't solicit "you ok hun" type responses on social media.

Indeed. A little like telling someone who is very aware of their unattractiveness to surround themselves with beautiful people. It would make them even more aware of their unattractiveness, thus making the problem worse.

A lot of depressed people have said that they can feel the most alone while surrounded by people.

That's what makes it difficult, they have everything that people would give a limb to have a life like theirs, yet they still get hit by it.

The ops rant is cruel, ignorant and incorrect. It is treating the celebs like they are superhuman, yet they are not. The world thinks that they shouldn't suffer, yet they do. Depression, anxiety and addiction are human flaws and that is what they are, human.

They should not be forced to hide behind their public personas. They have every right to fight their illness what ever way they can to defeat it.

Certainly dont see them as superhuman realized years ago all addictions are based on self seeking self centred self pleasure thinking. Me me me me me me and my pleasure, f everything and everyone else. Most active addicts have huge egos and little to no self esteem. How can I see someone whom I believe has no real self esteem whatsoever as superhuman?!?.

How can one see an addict as superhuman?. Your post is stupid.

I think these public stories by Ant Sinead O Connor etc are terrible for their sobriety and sanity as they reinforce their ego centric based behaviour.

They do have every right to battle their addiction whatever way they want but it's very obvious to me many are reinforcing their ego centric ways take the story I mentioned of the article the other day in the Independent by Irish model Alison Canavan. "drink problem" "drink issue" etc etc she mentions she has. Her addict mind wouldn't allow her to say in the interview that she is simply a garden variety joe soap alcoholic which would benefit her. All that palaver to "help" others and she can't even be honest with herself!.

All this "sympathy" for these celebs is absurd doesn't help them not one jot, I think it's false and
    Sympathy does not keep one sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Op, it's all well and good for you to make comments like that, but just you wait until the day you realise you are out of Merlot and have to use Shiraz for the Beef Bourgeuoin. You have not felt the real pain of this life. Come back to the thread then.

myshirt wrote: »
    Op, it's all well and good for you to make comments like that, but just you wait until the day you realise you are out of Merlot and have to use Shiraz for the Beef Bourgeuoin. You have not felt the real pain of this life. Come back to the thread then.

Sorry what the hell are you on about?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Hence why I quoted Woody Allen 'money can't buy happiness but can make sure you are miserable in comfort'.
    But as I said if they truly wanted to help folk pick up some addict from the street and speak to them, take them to meeting, give them few quid to tide them over. Of course that is ACTUALLY helping someone and god forbid they do that. ;)

Why run to the media?.

As I said met many many many people with depression and addictions in their life and yet to meet one who's said a celebs story in the media has helped them. Not one.

Ah Woody - he's definitiely my favourite paedophile, without a doubt the funniest one too.

Here's a crazy idea maybe they're telling their stories to help themselves! Kind of like you are right here, they just have a bigger audience due to being better known.

Just because you're a celebrity it's not incumbent on you to constantly strive to help others. Maybe Ant (or Dec - who the fúck knows which is which:D) finds it cathartic to talk about his own problems - maybe he doesn't give a flying fúck about yours right now, why should he in all honesty - you clearly don't care about his!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sorry what the hell are you on about?.

You are giving out about celebrities whining about how bad they have it. I am asking have you experienced a Friday where you go to prepare a meal only to realise you are out of Merlot, and (reluctantly) have to use Shiraz for the Beef Bourgeuoin. It's not ideal and can really kill the afternoon.

The point op is you have to look at it through other people's eyes, not just your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

JKerova1 wrote: »
    There's no doubt in my mind that some celebrities use to reveal their 'depression' or 'drink problem' as a means of increasing their profile, usually in advance of a new book release, a new tv show or a tour announement. For example, that annoying camp DJ flaunting his GP prescribed anti-depressants on Brendan O'Connors talk show a few months back.

I think this is very much to the point.

Years ago being a celebrity usually meant you were very successful at something and thus very good at something e.g sports, the arts, acting, music, etc.

Now a huge chunk of celebrities are often just known for being known.

Ok Ant and Dec are reasonably good at being tv hosts, but how mnay more so called celebrities are just known for being on reality tv.
    Even ex actors and ex pop stars are now just known for appearing on one or more reality tv show.

Now to increase the old profile a lot of failed celebrities need to bring themselves back into view.
    One option is to release the old sex tape, hell some have made a lucrative career for themselves out of it, ala the kardashian slappers.

But celebrities have also discovered they can milk a lot of sympathy and column inches for letting people know they have some illness or affliction.
    All the better if is one that you can kick and won't ultimately kill you.
    Also telling everyone about some abuse they have suffered can go a long way in getting them noticed.

Now I am not saying that well known people and celebrities don't suffer from the exact same things as the rest of us, but a lot of them chose not to plaster it out on media and pedal it from numerous chat show couches.

Anyone notice how David Bowie didn't let anyone know he was dying and chose not to make a fuss or milk his terminal illness.
    Did Robin Williams go out telling everyone about his diagnosis and his demons ?

Granted people like Michael J Fox has used his position to do a great job of highlight the scourge that is Parkinsons and that people can keep going with such an awful illness.

But for every Michael J fox how many are out there pedaling their problems and their "hardships" in the media with very little else to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

So with the recent news that Ant from Any and Dec who could sink a ship with the dosh he has if it was in cash is now whinging about his addictions. Same goes for Alison Canavan moaning on the Independent recently (Irish d list model) who speaks of her drink problems (her alcoholic ego is still so active and so in denial it won't allow her to say she is simply a alcoholic). Drink problem, unhealthy relationship with drink. All this twaddle to defend her ego.
    Whether it's drink, drugs or their depression I find it tiring and certainly can't relate to a millionaire's depression. I've had my battles with it in the past (suicidal etc) but very few actually get down to the real nitty gritty of depression I feel.

How many celebs will say they can't get out of bed in the morning covered in pizz and physically can't remove themselves from bed due to depression?. Can't cook can't or won't feed themselves as they hate themselves so much?. Become a recluse and don't leave the house for days on end?.
    No it's look at me aren't I great doing a trek or a and cycle that and I climbed yada whilst depressed It's bizarre, when I'm proper depressed getting dressed is enough of a chore!. It seems almost like they put a sheen on it. Also hearing of them getting support and loads of letters of encouragement? Come on people give them to folk who need it!.

Rarely see a very dishevelled scruffy celeb speaking of depression yet many big celebs can't wait to talk if it on self indulgent shows like Ellen. Cara Delevingne, Owen Wilson, Justin Biebe, JK Rowling etc etc talk of it but never see them look rough when doing so. Point is when properly depressed you couldn't give a monkey's what you look like.

Seen it many a time at support group for depressed people folk who just rolled out of bed or being taking drugs all day.

Anyway it gets tiring, I won't go into my life story as I know this forum is a hotbed of narcissism and judgement but I had addictions and gave them up (no rehab) when I hadn't a cent to my name. Hard tiring work!. But the struggle helps keeps me clean and sober which is great. Doubt if I had millions and people kissing my ass I'd have kept it, as addicts/alcoholics LOVE LOVE LOVE having their egos reinforced. Talking about it in the media is a way to reinforce the ego I mean a truly humble person wouldn't brag about it on the media.
    Some might say it helps others but I doubt the heroin addict on the street gets solace from Ant getting clean for like a month. If he was concerned with helping folk do the chair at a NA meeting, donate to rehab centres, drive someone on the Street on smack to their first meeting etc. Nope none of that gives his face in the media.
    All they do is reinforce their egos that often made them an addict in the first place!. Oh the irony.

I think these people should realize how good they have it.

I know money can't buy happiness but it can make you miserable in comfort and sometimes I wish they would keep their 'poor me's to themselves from their 12 bedroom mansions looking out onto their BMW's/Bentleys/ and Lamborghini's.

Am I saying my depression is more relevant because I'm poor and not rich and world renowned and revered like them?. Basically yes. These people are OBSESSIVE with feeling sorry themselves and it does get tiring. If the money is such a burden give it away?. Hmmm never see that. Also depression can make you eccentric and odd never see these folk mad as a brush in public.

Seems like it's 'trendy' to speak of depression/addictions with celebs #depression. and a they get 1,000,000 likes and fans kissing their ass and their new movie skyrockets in sales.

But met many many people who have had addictions and depression and never once did they say they got encouragement from a celebrity's poor me story in the press.

At least "Ant" can suffer in comfort!

Advertisement