Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Celebs whinging how bad they have it!.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Please do enlighten me so guru!. :cool:

And your post is very naive.

Nothing stopping people from giving the dosh away, they won't and don't. How do they not know if they did they might be happy?. Be worth a try.

This argument depression doesn't discriminate. I know!. Did you actually read my post?

And you're being rude, why?
    Give all their money away? Sure then they'd be broke and depressed.
    I think you need to get a grip. Concentrate on your own battle and try not picking apart others who chose to/ have no choice but to face theirs publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

It doesn't have to help directly. Someone in the public eye admitting to having to deal with mental health issues means it's ever so slightly less taboo. Bit by bit. That, I'm and of itself, helps.

Also, why would someone who has money think that just by giving money to someone else would help when it hasn't shielded them?

The whole taboo thing is odd, will always be taboo to some degree. I mean like I posted earlier how many say they can't get out of bed or begiving real life examples perhaps but they don't.

Will always be taboo to some degree.

How can giving someone money help them?. You serious?. Yes I know they might spend it on drugs so buy them something relevant with it perhaps instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm not nearly so bothered by 'celebrities' as I'm bothered by people who pay attention to celebrities.

anna080 wrote: »
    And you're being rude, why?
    Give all their money away? Sure then they'd be broke and depressed.
    I think you need to get a grip. Concentrate on your own battle and try not picking apart others who chose to/ have no choice but to face theirs publicly.

Not rude I think your post was naive same as you thought mine was ignorant, grow up buddy just an opinion.

Oh please. He's been forced at gunpoint to face this publicly. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Not rude I think your post was naive same as you thought mine was ignorant, grow up buddy just an opinion.

Very rude and aggressive.

• Advertisement

Right.. it's pretty clear you're unable to converse like a normal person, so buh bye then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Patient: I think i'm depressed Doctor..

Doctor: Whats your bank balance Mr. Patient?

Patient: 1 million

Doctor: Out you get, you can't be depressed with that sort of money in the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

MysticMonk wrote: »
    And Sinead O'Conner can stfu too..she's not sick she's just an attention-seeker.
    Both surely. It doesn't have to be just one or the other.
    pilly wrote: »
    Look, depression and/or addictions are no easier to fight when you have money.

I would argue there actually much more difficult to fight because you haven't as much incentive as when you're in the gutter with nothing.
    More difficult to fight when you have easy access to high level treatment? I know which situation I would prefer to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The whole taboo thing is odd, will always be taboo to some degree. I mean like I posted earlier how many say they can't get out of bed or begiving real life examples perhaps but they don't.

Will always be taboo to some degree.

But to a lesser degree.

More publicity = more awareness = more people that realise it's not just them and that there are places to get help.

How can giving someone money help them?. You serious?. Yes I know they might spend it on drugs so buy them something relevant with it perhaps instead.

Interested to hear your thoughts on what they could buy that would be relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I remember that eejit Robbie Williams moaning years ago about being recognised on the street. Yeah, I’m sure it gets annoying, but give it up then and do something else. He was financially stable at the time, and playing big solo gigs, so he didn’t have to keep doing it for the money.

Give it up. Go and live in Sardegna, or Loop Head, or West Kerry, where you’ll most likely be left alone, or some random city in continental Europe, where most people won’t even recognise you, and get a “regular job” and stop moaning then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

pilly wrote: »
    Now, on her I'm torn. She obviously does suffer from some kind of mental illness but the fact that she goes online threatening suicide when she has kids makes me sick.

Also, I know people who hero worship her and would worry that they think suicide is the answer because she goes on so much about it.

I know several people who committed suicide over the years and not one of them threatened to do it beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

People have this idea that the world of celebrity is just fantastic etc but it really isn't that great. I feel a lot of celebrities sacrifice their 'soul' doing it just because the pay is unbelievable in many quarters. That is when issues rise.

Suppose what I was getting at in the OP (in a gruff way) was does going public help them or the public? I think the "help" this does is very minimal. Ironically they are often reinforcing their egos ie their addict egos or alcoholic egos by playing the Martyr.

Does my opinion on it matter?. Nope. Not a jot. Just got my goat seeing Ant whatshisface all over the papers at work.

I think the message is wrong.

Suddenly social media has taken up this whole "it's good to talk" mantra and I see people with no expertise or qualifications setting up Facebook pages and blogs dispensing advice on life and mental health issues that consist of glib memes. People like Dave Avocado Wolfe telling people one day not to judge others, and the next telling them to surround themselves with positive people...a phrase that seems to have passed into discourse on the issue.

You have a mental health issue? Talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Not a chat show host. And don't solicit "you ok hun" type responses on social media.

I think the message is wrong.

Suddenly social media has taken up this whole "it's good to talk" mantra and I see people with no expertise or qualifications setting up Facebook pages and blogs dispensing advice on life and mental health issues that consist of glib memes. People like Dave Avocado Wolfe telling people one day not to judge others, and the next telling them to surround themselves with positive people...a phrase that seems to have passed into discourse on the issue.

You have a mental health issue? Talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Not a chat show host. And don't solicit "you ok hun" type responses on social media.

+1. Someone got my point!.

Suppose what I was getting at in the OP (in a gruff way) was does going public help them or the public? I think the "help" this does is very minimal. Ironically they are often reinforcing their egos ie their addict egos or alcoholic egos by playing the Martyr.

Does my opinion on it matter?. Nope. Not a jot. Just got my goat seeing Ant whatshisface all over the papers at work.

Why does going public mean they're trying to "help" anyone?
    Maybe their absence from work would be questioned? Maybe the media would get word and release a story? Maybe they want control of their situation so decide to speak out? Maybe they want to be left alone for a bit so speak out to ask for privacy?

I'm not sure why you're calling them martyrs or insinuating they do this publicly to help Joe soap at home. They're are a myriad of reasons why someone may choose to go public, many of which aren't any of our business.

And "alcoholic egos".. for someone who has admittedly had some battles themselves, you sure don't have any compassion for other people who may be struggling. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Spider Web wrote: »
    Both surely. It doesn't have to be just one or the other.

More difficult to fight when you have easy access to high level treatment? I know which situation I would prefer to be in.

Believe me I've plenty of experience in addiction, both with money and without.

Harder with money.

Why does going public mean they're trying to "help" anyone?
    Maybe their absence from work would be questioned? Maybe the media would get word and release a story? Maybe they want control of their situation so decide to speak out? Maybe they want to be left alone for a bit so speak out to ask for privacy?

I'm not sure why you're calling them martyrs or insinuating they do this publicly to help Joe soap at home. They're are a myriad of reasons why someone may choose to go public, many of which aren't any of our business.

Met a very famous Irish TV presenter before who was a chronic alcoholic who kept himself to himself also a World famous musician . They didnt "go public" as he didnt have to. Celebs do CHOOSE to go public.If they miss work can always release a cock and bull story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I'd say fame can cause lots of mental health issues, from addiction to just the absolute headfcuk of being scrutinised on a daily basis or attacked and abused by online trolls constantly or being surrounded by "Yes" men or not trusting anyone in your life because everyone is after something.

I know plenty of miserable rich folk whose lives aren't made any easier by having anything they want at their finger tips. If anything the removal of that base human concern of paying bills/having a roof over your head has only made more room for a whole range of emotional struggles that can be very isolating because society trains most of everyone else to think "sure she's minted! What the hell could she possibly have to complain about?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What I'm sick of is this attitude that if you are doing well financially then you should not be allowed to have problems or to complain.

It's symptomatic of the recession imo - those people who are still struggling seem to have gotten into their heads that and they alone know about hardship and they alone are allowed to be angry/sad/unwell etc.

It's a horrible attitude frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I am with the OP on this.

I fail to see how bressie(for example) with his "poor me"features helps anybody other than his own profile.

the new high profile of depression in recent years has made it a popular affliction.
    constant attention seeking on social media "oh i am sooo depressed". I am sceptical.

I know people with depression and issuing proclamations on social media or traditional media declaring their depression for all to see is probably the furthest thing from their mind.
    comments like "you're so brave" etc...probably drive them further into depresssion.

I amnt saying that being rich or a celebrity means one is immune from depression but that the over sharing of personal information makes me suspicious whether a person suffers or has other motives

Met a very famous Irish TV presenter before who was a chronic alcoholic who kept himself to himself also a World famous musician . They didnt "go public" as he didnt have to. Celebs do CHOOSE to go public.If they miss work can always release a cock and bull story.

What's your point? :confused:
    Yes of course they choose to go public with it, and it's their choice to make if they feel it'll make dealing with their issues any easier. I'd imagine it would be very stressful having to sneak in and out of treatment facilities, hoping no papz are following you wanting to break a story. It would be much more liberating and stress free to be like "I'm struggling, and I'm getting help". It doesn't bother me, and I'm at a loss as to why it bothers you so much.

arayess wrote: »
    I am with the OP on this.

I fail to see how bressie(for example) with his "poor me"features helps anybody other than his own profile.

the new high profile of depression in recent years has made it a popular affliction.
    constant attention seeking on social media "oh i am sooo depressed". I am sceptical.

I think Bressie and others may not have helped matters as much as people make out - though he has carved out a good career from it all - and messages like "it's okay to not be okay" dumb down what can be a very complex problem that requires a clear message of "talk to those with expertise and qualifications". Instead it just seems to be some mishmash of memes and generic stuff like "he's raised the profile of the issue". Know people who are almost addicted to life coaches and therapists with dubious qualifications, spending thousands on pseudo science instead of going to psychiatrists, know a couple that have emerged from it both poorer and in a worse health condition.

Sounds like the OP thinks well known people should never admit to having problems. You can have all the fame and money in the world, but it doesn't insulate you from pain or loss or addiction or most of the stuff humans go through. If knowing someone they 'know' has a similar problem helps someone silently suffering to feel less alone, then it's worth all the irritation that the OP feels at famous people talking about their problems publicly.

Well known people are just people too, none of us have perfect lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Spider Web wrote: »

Money doesn't always buy you the best treatment! I'm speaking through personal experience of spending a LOT of time in treatment in numerous addiction treatment centres in Ireland, from the most expensive private hospitals (e.g. St Pats) to HSE centres (Stanhope) to Cuan Mhuire (Catholic-run organisation) ... by far the most thorough is the Cuan Mhuire program, which is affordable for even those on social welfare payments. Even my private consultant says Cuan Mhuire did more for me than the private programmes ever did ... it costs my health insurer something like 30k for every month I've spent in St Pats, and we're talking lots and lots of months. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People complain when celebrities over share and when they don't share enough. I follow a few celebrities that I''m interested in. They are popular people from reality TV in the last few years and I haven't a clue about them despite them being regularly in the news. You don't have to follow/read about or watch things about celebrities if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

How many celebs will say they can't get out of bed in the morning covered in pizz and physically can't remove themselves from bed due to depression?. Can't cook can't or won't feed themselves as they hate themselves so much?. Become a recluse and don't leave the house for days on end?.

A lot I would imagine. Do you think they check their banking app and get a sudden burst of energy when they see the big number? You're very naive.

What's your point? :confused:
    Yes of course they choose to go public with it, and it's their choice to make if they feel it'll make dealing with their issues any easier. I'd imagine it would be very stressful having to sneak in and out of treatment facilities, hoping no papz are following you wanting to break a story. It would be much more liberating and stress free to be like "I'm struggling, and I'm getting help". It doesn't bother me, and I'm at a loss as to why it bothers you so much.

My point is painfully obvious. If you want to keep your privacy you can. No need for media stories and the following circus.

Papz at treatment facilities?!?!??!?!! You believe this?!?!!? This is not Los Angeles. But if you want to live in Lala land and think Paparazzi is camping outside Cuan Mhuire in the back arse of Athy in a tent or Aiseiri in the back arse of Tiperarry be my guest. I can assure you they arent though.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Sounds like the OP thinks well known people should never admit to having problems. You can have all the fame and money in the world, but it doesn't insulate you from pain or loss or addiction or most of the stuff humans go through. If knowing someone they 'know' has a similar problem helps someone silently suffering to feel less alone, then it's worth all the irritation that the OP feels at famous people talking about their problems publicly.

Well known people are just people too, none of us have perfect lives.

I think the OP has a point that might have been lost. I certainly appreciate that a celebrity is as likely to suffer mental health issues as much as a celebrity is likely to, say, break a leg. Money doesn't immunise anyone from health issues.

Again, it's the whole way the matter is packaged now that I don't like, it's almost standardised, they have issues, they talk about it to some newspaper or chat show host, they end on some right on message of the "it's okay to not be okay" variety so it's simple enough for the 20 somethings to understand. There is no real analysis of the issue, it's all reduced to the point where it's useless information.

Even back in the 80s and 90s people like Dr. Anthony Clare had media profiles, a man extremely qualified to address the issue. These days? It's Bressie and co. That's not an advance, that's a dumbing down.

Advertisement