Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Celebs whinging how bad they have it!.

Options
  • 14-08-2017 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

So with the recent news that Ant from Any and Dec who could sink a ship with the dosh he has if it was in cash is now whinging about his addictions. Same goes for Alison Canavan moaning on the Independent recently (Irish d list model) who speaks of her drink problems (her alcoholic ego is still so active and so in denial it won't allow her to say she is simply a alcoholic). Drink problem, unhealthy relationship with drink. All this twaddle to defend her ego.
    Whether it's drink, drugs or their depression I find it tiring and certainly can't relate to a millionaire's depression. I've had my battles with it in the past (suicidal etc) but very few actually get down to the real nitty gritty of depression I feel.

How many celebs will say they can't get out of bed in the morning covered in pizz and physically can't remove themselves from bed due to depression?. Can't cook can't or won't feed themselves as they hate themselves so much?. Become a recluse and don't leave the house for days on end?.
    No it's look at me aren't I great doing a trek or a and cycle that and I climbed yada whilst depressed It's bizarre, when I'm proper depressed getting dressed is enough of a chore!. It seems almost like they put a sheen on it. Also hearing of them getting support and loads of letters of encouragement? Come on people give them to folk who need it!.

Rarely see a very dishevelled scruffy celeb speaking of depression yet many big celebs can't wait to talk if it on self indulgent shows like Ellen. Cara Delevingne, Owen Wilson, Justin Biebe, JK Rowling etc etc talk of it but never see them look rough when doing so. Point is when properly depressed you couldn't give a monkey's what you look like.

Seen it many a time at support group for depressed people folk who just rolled out of bed or being taking drugs all day.

Anyway it gets tiring, I won't go into my life story as I know this forum is a hotbed of narcissism and judgement but I had addictions and gave them up (no rehab) when I hadn't a cent to my name. Hard tiring work!. But the struggle helps keeps me clean and sober which is great. Doubt if I had millions and people kissing my ass I'd have kept it, as addicts/alcoholics LOVE LOVE LOVE having their egos reinforced. Talking about it in the media is a way to reinforce the ego I mean a truly humble person wouldn't brag about it on the media.
    Some might say it helps others but I doubt the heroin addict on the street gets solace from Ant getting clean for like a month. If he was concerned with helping folk do the chair at a NA meeting, donate to rehab centres, drive someone on the Street on smack to their first meeting etc. Nope none of that gives his face in the media.
    All they do is reinforce their egos that often made them an addict in the first place!. Oh the irony.

I think these people should realize how good they have it.

I know money can't buy happiness but it can make you miserable in comfort and sometimes I wish they would keep their 'poor me's to themselves from their 12 bedroom mansions looking out onto their BMW's/Bentleys/ and Lamborghini's.

Am I saying my depression is more relevant because I'm poor and not rich and world renowned and revered like them?. Basically yes. These people are OBSESSIVE with feeling sorry themselves and it does get tiring. If the money is such a burden give it away?. Hmmm never see that. Also depression can make you eccentric and odd never see these folk mad as a brush in public.

Seems like it's 'trendy' to speak of depression/addictions with celebs #depression. and a they get 1,000,000 likes and fans kissing their ass and their new movie skyrockets in sales.

But met many many people who have had addictions and depression and never once did they say they got encouragement from a celebrity's poor me story in the press.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Depression or any other mental condition cares not for the bank balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

It's the whole" I'm not responsible for my own actions" generation we've spawned in the last 10 to 20 years isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

People with access to media, and a name to trade, are great for talking about mental ilness, and bringing it out in to the open.

Ant talking about this, for example, might help someone who is suffering similarly to make steps towards beating it.

Now, I am sure there are examples of people who have used such a story just for their own PR purposes, but I can't see, in general, how people bringing menetal ilness to the forfront of discussion is something that should be criticised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

And Sinead O'Conner can stfu too..she's not sick she's just an attention-seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Its almost as if mental illness can affect anyone regardless of their wealth or status. I would recommend not telling someone with depression that they need to just realise how good they have it.

Hopefully someday you will have a 12 bed mansion and, ergo, have no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Look, depression and/or addictions are no easier to fight when you have money.

I would argue there actually much more difficult to fight because you haven't as much incentive as when you're in the gutter with nothing.

I don't actually get what your point is to be honest. I haven't heard him whinging about how hard he has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm guessing you put this in after hours because you don't really believe that money + success means you can't be depressed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Now, I am sure there are examples of people who have used such a story just for their own PR purposes, but I can't see, in general, how people bringing menetal ilness to the forfront of discussion is something that should be criticised.

Have to agree with you there.

Plenty of positives would come from someone like Ant being open about his mental illness as he is what one would assume a very happy person, always smiling laughing and joking on TV but in the background he was an empty shell of a man. It reveals how much people hide what pains them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

'Ant' isn't out whinging about how bad he has it. He had issues for years which he kept secret until a tabloid rag got a sniff of things. At that point he prempted them by going public and taking away any story or profit they may have made of his problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Why are these people not out on jetskis making waves in the Liffey or ziplining down Kilimanjaro? I just dont' understand it if you have a bit of money its easy to go and do something fun to take your mind off the depression instead of sitting under your duvet in a little apartment feeling sorry for yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I just dont' understand it if you have a bit of money its easy to go and do something fun to take your mind off the depression instead of sitting under your duvet in a little apartment feeling sorry for yourself

Yeah, it's that easy. In fact I hear telling someone to cheer up works just as good.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    And Sinead O'Conner can stfu too..she's not sick she's just an attention-seeker.

Now, on her I'm torn. She obviously does suffer from some kind of mental illness but the fact that she goes online threatening suicide when she has kids makes me sick.

Also, I know people who hero worship her and would worry that they think suicide is the answer because she goes on so much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Influential people using their "position of celebrity" to help raise awareness for medical conditions

tumblr_ny160921Jr1s6ns18o2_500.gif

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

People with access to media, and a name to trade, are great for talking about mental ilness, and bringing it out in to the open.

Ant talking about this, for example, might help someone who is suffering similarly to make steps towards beating it.

*cough* Bressie *cough*

Why are these people not out on jetskis making waves in the Liffey or ziplining down Kilimanjaro? I just dont' understand it if you have a bit of money its easy to go and do something fun to take your mind off the depression instead of sitting under your duvet in a little apartment feeling sorry for yourself

The only part of your post that is worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think that is a pretty uninformed and poor attitude to take that people with wealth or means, can somehow be excluded from mental or emotional illness, sickness or disruption that everyone can be susceptible too.
    That same argument could me made from a lower income worker to a middle income earner suffering depression. Or a homeless person to a lower income worker experiencing an emotional trauma.

It's like that ridiculous, stupid, football thing whereby fans believe players should somehow be wired differently or be resilient to effects or human weakness or frailty because they earn six digits a week.

To be honest I might have held a similar opinion to yours. Granted not assuming money can exclude people from problems, but maybe railing against what I perceive as a softness of everyone wanting to talk about their feelings and problems, and a heightened sense of when someone is sad, or in the dumps, or having a rough time, a meteoric jump to "omg you have depression" or the frivolous use of the term.

Then I had what can only be described as a nervous breakdown. Actually still don't know what it was. Out of nowhere, just all the pressures and problems in my life accumulated and I just collapsed in my kitchen into an unrelenting mess. Plenty of people from the outside would question what I'd have to worry about. Lovely girlfriend, two wonderful kids, good job and income etc. etc but the fact is there was problems, multiple problems and really looking back it was the slog and grind month to month that just took its toll. And if I wrote everything down I think was causing the problem I'd probably be like "****, how did that all cause me to cave in, thats not a big deal" but that's just how the mind works, in that no one is fully 100% clear.

I've a different outlook on mental issues and emotional issues now then I did. I still havnt changed my outlook entirely. I know I was embarrassed when it happened, I up until a while ago struggled to talk about it, and for a relatively young man ( in my 20's) I've always had some old school ethos and mindsets. No one in my family really knew what to do or how to deal with it and looking back also while I wouldn't blame them, they didn't help or understand what was happening, making assumptions based on their own old school thinking.

I think it's pretty obvious why celebrities make news for this type of thing. Not only is it a) because they are celebrities, but also it might help people sitting in silence suffering to go "woah that guy/girl is mental rich, yet it happened to them too" and then maybe taking some action on it.

I know I can't get over my old school ways so I'll never see a counsellor or anything like that. I've had more turbulence in my life this year then I've ever had before, and I never want to experience it again. Even now some massive problems I need to contend with. But I know that I did confide in a circle I have in work, and it spawned a conversation where everyone kind of shared some serious **** they have been contending with, and while it didn't generate answers for everyone, it helped to know there was help at hand and you don't have to manage this **** alone.

It's cool that you were able to beat some issues you had when you were flat broke. You might not realise it, or it might just be no thing for you, but you could be some form of template or inspiration to many others. Maybe because you were flat broke you had nothing to lose? They say we only ever really make serious change in regards addiction etc. when we hit proper rock bottom. That, that is typically when the person realises they need to make a change, as opposed to the external influencing factors which try force the change beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Haven't a number of relatively famous people committed suicide recently? And probably a lot of less famous people too...

One would think people might have some empathy and understanding that people, of all walks of life, go through tough times and struggle to deal with them.

Just because they have money doesn't mean they are automatically happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ah jesus. Depression doesn't discsriminate, nor does it care how much money you have in the bank. I'd wager some people would rather give up all the money they have if it meant they had a decent, dark cloud free life. Money isn't everything.
    Your post is really ignorant, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Depression or any other mental condition cares not for the bank balance.

Hence why I quoted Woody Allen 'money can't buy happiness but can make sure you are miserable in comfort'.
    But as I said if they truly wanted to help folk pick up some addict from the street and speak to them, take them to meeting, give them few quid to tide them over. Of course that is ACTUALLY helping someone and god forbid they do that. ;)

Why run to the media?.

As I said met many many many people with depression and addictions in their life and yet to meet one who's said a celebs story in the media has helped them. Not one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Having that bit of money can assist in continuing the cycle, especially when it comes to substance abuse or addiction.

There is going to be dealers, people clinging on, sycophants, the works all living of your success.

Did you not see the AMA here a while back from the lad who basically maintained a full on drug habbit while in a pretty decent job? Harrowing reading, dropping out of meetings to meet a dealer in the carpark, dropping some days a few hundred quid on stuff not a bother to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

There's no doubt in my mind that some celebrities use to reveal their 'depression' or 'drink problem' as a means of increasing their profile, usually in advance of a new book release, a new tv show or a tour announement. For example, that annoying camp DJ flaunting his GP prescribed anti-depressants on Brendan O'Connors talk show a few months back.

Hence why I quoted Woody Allen 'money can't buy happiness but can make sure you are miserable in comfort'.
    But as I said if they truly wanted to help folk pick up some addict from the street and speak to them, take them to meeting, give them few quid to tide them over. Of course that is ACTUALLY helping someone and god forbid they do that. ;)

Why run to the media?.

As I said met many many many people with depression and addictions in their life and yet to meet one who's said a celebs story in the media has helped them. Not one.

You are massively oversimplifying addiction.

Why run to the media?.

Maybe you're right in some cases but you picked a bad example in Ant McPartlin. It's already been explained to you why he went to the media.

anna080 wrote: »
    Ah jesus. Depression doesn't discsriminate, nor does it care how much money you have in the bank. I'd wager some people would rather give up all the money they have if it meant they had a decent, dark cloud free life. Money isn't everything.
    Your post is really ignorant, actually.

Please do enlighten me so guru!. :cool:

And your post is very naive.

Nothing stopping people from giving the dosh away, they won't and don't. How do they not know if they did they might be happy?. Be worth a try.

This argument depression doesn't discriminate. I know!. Did you actually read my post?

I think your posts are very aggressive and bitter tbh.

brevity wrote: »
    You are massively oversimplifying addiction.

How from that post?.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It doesn't have to help directly. Someone in the public eye admitting to having to deal with mental health issues means it's ever so slightly less taboo. Bit by bit. That, I'm and of itself, helps.

Also, why would someone who has money think that just by giving money to someone else would help when it hasn't shielded them?

How from that post?.

Giving them money and bring them to a meeting?

If you give an addict money they will most likely spend it on their addiction.

I guess this celeb could try to sponsor them but if the celeb can't look after themselves, how can they help others?

• Advertisement

Please do enlighten me so guru!. :cool:

Nothing stopping people from giving the dosh away, they won't and don't. How do they not know if they did they might be happy?. Be worth a try.

This argument depression doesn't discriminate. I know!. Did you actually read my post?

Idiotic post yet again. Do you think the money is making them depressed?? It's not, a prince or a pauper could get depressed. Why on Gods green earth would they give away everything they've earned?? And how does that help what is generally a chemical imbalance of the brain

Advertisement