Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change, Feminism, White Genocide, Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

B0jangles wrote: »
    Thanks for the link but I'm still not seeing why it's bad?

Seriously?

Look at the clashes in the US over the weekend.

You think these white nationalists/supremacists are not influenced by identity politics?

Almost their entire worldview is based on identity.

Surprise, surprise, they also think they are victims because of their identity.

They also name their supposed oppressors based on their identity.

One of the most basic fundamentals of the Nazi ideology is identity politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I may be a bit cynical, but it seems like maybe the problem some people have with 'identity politics' is that suddenly a whole slew of people who had very limited political power in the past (black people, gay people, women, etc) now have some and as a result want their issues to get some attention and it's bothering the people who already had a seat at the big table.

No. There were white supremacists and fascists in the past in far larger numbers.

If anything giving more political power to black people, gay people, women etc had a very negative impact on these groups. People who would normally just follow the herd started thinking that actually the black people and the gay people are more like them than their previous identity based views allowed them to realize.

The popularity of white supremacy took a serious nosedive because people were moving away from identity politics and moving towards and idea that we are all one people.

Now it's coming back. I don't know why but I seriously doubt it's because people in these racists circles are only just now realizing that minority groups are getting a seat at the table.

Surely a poor white man has more in common with a poor black man than he does with a rich white man? Maybe that was Trumps best trick in the end? He convinced poor white people that he was just like them?

I think realistically you have to do away with identity politics and encourage people to see the similarities in each other rather than the differences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I blame the arrogant left wing fringe in America for the rise of Trump. A reality star with no experience in governing won because of them, people fed up of them just voted for Trump to spite them. It is Obama's legacy.
    they don't like being told what to do, therefore when it seems like the entire mainstream apparatus is geared towards trying to shame them into thinking a certain way, they will push back for the sake of pushing back.

You can absolutely claim that some people voted for Trump out of spite, just like a person cutting off his nose to spite his face.

However, it's clearly a stupid thing to do.

@A Little Pony: There's a big difference between understanding why some people did a really ridiculous thing, and actually criticising everyone else on it, based on the fact that you dislike their tone.

I mean that is an objectively stupid voting strategy. Just because some people may have acted that way, doesn't make put them in the right. It makes them look like a bunch of nitwits.
    I said I would have voted for him purely on a foreign policy decision. But that would just be one vote. The main question you have to ask is how did a reality tv star beat a veteran politician? My theory is it is the climate which won it for Trump, even if Hillary was awful.

Trump normally would not have stood a chance but millions of Americans got fed up of Washington and got fed up of being told what to do and what to say and what to think and how to think. Trump should never have won the election but I predicted he would win for mainly those reasons, as I said before the soil was just right for Trump at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The dumbing down of the human race. A huge number of people cannot even form their own opinions anymore such is their reliance and belief in social media platforms to get their news. At the same time many media outlets have their own subtle agendas set. People should be aware to this.

It worries me greatly that many seem incapable of forming their own opinions at a time when so much information is available and eat up whatever is fed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    The modern left is CRINGE. Who wants to hang out with a bunch of saddos who'll denounce you for not being 100% right on, all the time?

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

The modern left is CRINGE. Who wants to hang out with a bunch of saddos who'll denounce you for not being 100% right on, all the time?

Username checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RayM wrote: »
    How about you re-read my post (properly this time) and come back to me. :)

Oh I read your post just fine, you feel that people that have right wing views are cunts.

If you said neo nazi views like the losers that were protesting in the States the other day then no issue at all but you didn't, maybe you should re read your own post "and come back to me". :)

Oh I read your post just fine, you feel that people that have right wing views are cunts.

If you said neo nazi views like the losers that were protesting in the States the other day then no issue at all but you didn't, maybe you should re read your own post "and come back to me". :)

He made it clear as sunlight that he was talking about a tiny minority. He even used the words 'tiny minority'. This tells even me, even after the most casual glance that he's talking about a tiny minority, and that your statement - that he said anyone who disagreed with him are c*nts - is wrong. Very wrong, in fact. Because he specifically said it applies to a......tiny minority.

RayM wrote: »
    I'm talking about those people (thankfully only a tiny minority) who hold all the right-wing opinions: Opinions that require - at the very least - the suspension of empathy. When someone's constantly expressing the most cold-hearted, no-nonsense, oh-so-logical views on every topic, there comes a point when you decide that maybe you are, in fact, dealing with a cunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I think we can agree that calling some who you believe lacks empathy a cúnt, isn't that empathetic and is a bit ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ok, read it again, especially the parts that Candie highlighted, and then come back to me. But not, I repeat not before you've given yourself a few slaps. Thx :)
    I think we can agree that calling some who you believe lacks empathy a cúnt, isn't that empathetic and is a bit ironic.

I agree. It betrays a dreadful lack of empathy towards people who hold nothing but unempathetic opinions on every topic. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have no idea how you've come to this conclusion. The post was very clear.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Resist ZOG? FFs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Trump is an embarrassment.
    He really needs to go.
    He's living on another planet.

Complete disappointment as a supposed anti- establishment figure.
    I wish he'd fcuk off already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

diograis wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

'Hey look a white male who criticized the diversity narrative! Denounce him! Get him fired from his job! Another one who doesn't think transsexual bathroom rights are the most important civil rights issue in history! He's literally worse than Hitler!'.

Yeah, no thanks.

'Hey look a white male who criticized the diversity narrative! Denounce him! Get him fired from his job! Another one who doesn't think transsexual bathroom rights are the most important civil rights issue in history! He's literally worse than Hitler!'.

Yeah, no thanks.

Maybe one day someone will actually say something like that to you outside of your imagination, and you'll get to say no thanks for real.

Until that day, it's nice to daydream.

Candie wrote: »
    Maybe one day someone will actually say something like that to you outside of your imagination, and you'll get to say no thanks for real.

Until that day, it's nice to daydream.

Hmm I must have daydreamed that guy being fired from Google so. Or that bakery being persecuted for not supporting the lgbt movement. Or that Labour MP being forced to resign because she said Britain has a problem with Asian men preying on white girls. Or the scientist being forced to apologise for wearing a t shirt. Or the trigger warning and anti free speech movement in the academic world.

Hmm I must have daydreamed that guy being fired from Google so. Or that bakery being persecuted for not supporting the lgbt movement. Or that Labour MP being forced to resign because she said Britain has a problem with Asian men preying on white girls. Or the scientist being forced to apologise for wearing a t shirt. Or the trigger warning and anti free speech movement in the academic world.

No we're talking about you. YOU. You seem to feel that it's something you're at risk of being told. I think you're safe enough.

Candie wrote: »
    No we're talking about you. YOU. You seem to feel that it's something you're at risk of being told. I think you're safe enough.

Look at all my examples. People fired or forced to apologise because they did or said something that upset the leftie losers.

Funny how modern liberals hate free speech so much. Perhaps we need some Stalinist show trials? That'll really show the thought criminals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Look at all my examples. People fired or forced to apologise because they did or said something that upset the leftie losers.

Funny how modern liberals hate free speech so much. Perhaps we need some Stalinist show trials? That'll really show the thought criminals.

The incessant stream of histrionics, wailing and strawmanning makes it incredibly difficult to take your concerns and arguments, such as they are seriously.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The incessant stream of histrionics, wailing and strawmanning makes it incredibly difficult to take your concerns and arguments, such as they are seriously.

Everything I said is true. **** the regressive modern left.

• Advertisement

Everything I said is true. **** the regressive modern left.

Except that it isn't. You've taken a few carefully cherrypicked examples and used them to tar the entire modern left with. As I said, strawmanning.

H. H. Asquith

Except that it isn't. You've taken a few carefully cherrypicked examples and used them to tar the entire modern left with. As I said, strawmanning.

No it's the reality now. Certain topics are verboten. **** the left.

No it's the reality now. Certain topics are verboten. **** the left.

Proof? Not cherrypicked examples but actual evidence of this?

H. H. Asquith

Re read my examples. Why should you be dragged into an equality kangaroo court because you don't want to support the lbgt movement? Fired from your job because you dared suggest there are differences between the sexes?

I particularity liked how Sarah Champion MP was forced to resign for pointing out the race reality of the rape gangs in England.

Uncle Joe would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Evidence is only cherry picking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

How exactly can you provide proof without being accused of cherrypicking?

"Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position."

Can you point me to examples of people writing anti-diversity manifestos at tech companies and getting to keep their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I don't care much for peoples feelings. I also don't go out with the intention of hurting anyone's feelings.

My issue with some groups or individuals with in groups, is to be offended and not allow the accused offender to apologise.
    Example, a fee weeks ago while in shop pushing a buggy, I asked a person to move out of the way, normal problem when in town.
    ME - "Excuse me Ms. you are blocking the path"
    Girl (mid 20's) - "No excuse me, what gives you the right to define me as a Miss??"

I ignored her and and used the buggy to brush her aside. I thought that **** was only in the campus of USA Universities.
    Sadly I was mistaken.

I really hate (mostly if not always white people) who follow a group chanting about 'killing/destroying' the group that they are from.
    I seen a BLM video of where the leaders began chanting "Kill all Whiteys"... Low and behold, there is "whitey himself" in the group chanting, along with Whiteys White friends. Absolutely idiotic.
    Might as well walk down the road saying "kill myself"

Also women and men are not equal - Neither is superior, but nor is one inferior.
    Also gender Quotas- totally against those.

I worked in a big international company, there was a big drive on to get gender equality in the work place.
    3 big departments in the company - Warehouse pickers, sales/PR and IT.... Have a guess which department after 9 months of Gender equality remained as 93% men.

People being offended, offends me, and I hate people who are offended :)

marcus001 wrote: »
    How exactly can you provide proof without being accused of cherrypicking?

Quite easily. Post a study of some kind for example. Something scientific looking at a link between so-called PC culture and censorship.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

I don't see how it can be described as a ideology in and of itself - people tend to be predominantly concerned with issues that they themselves face, that's just human nature.

As groups made up of previously excluded people get a seat at the table of political power, more issues, their issues, will be brought to the table. That might be tiresome for those who already had a seat at that table and who are now seeing their concerns being pushed down the list of priorities.

Are the groups that are new to the table being asked to sit and wait, are they being told "we'll get to your problems eventually, right after we deal with ours" ?

I think they might just say "We've waited long enough", and I think they'd be right.

Its a bit worrying that youre oblivious to the fact that many Trump voters for example would say yes to this. That many of them were protesting in their vote against the jobless wastelands that their communities had been turned into while so many of the mainstream politicians busied themselves with other things that were on the agenda.

But of course it was just racist rednecks who voted Trump right?

Ironically they have a lot in common, in terms of their concerns, with the anti water charge protesters over here even though Paul Murphy would probably be horrified to be compared to Trump

Because much as it might be trendy to pretend otherwise, that trump protest vote hasnt had its seat at the table. It hasnt been living it up. Its been struggling through like most people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Quite easily. Post a study of some kind for example. Something scientific looking at a link between so-called PC culture and censorship.

We could just use our eyes and ears. Not many people would seriously suggest that PC culture isn't leading to censorship. Anyone who denies it is suspect.

Advertisement