Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change, Feminism, White Genocide, Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

RayM wrote: »
    Are you a climate scientist? The 3% figure refers not to the general public, but to the tiny number of climate scientists who disagree with 97% of their peers. Climate scientist or not, you'd want to have some amount of self-confidence to disagree with that number of experts.

The river Rhine use to freeze over regularly in roman times and then stopped in about the eight century (natural climate change) its begun to freeze again this year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148890/One-Europe-s-longest-rivers-freezes-over.html for the first time in 30 years

Man only discovered carbon dioxide uses in 1630

baloney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Syphonax wrote: »
    The river Rhine use to freeze over regularly in roman times and then stopped in about the eight century (natural climate change) its begun to freeze again this year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4148890/One-Europe-s-longest-rivers-freezes-over.html for the first time in 30 years

baloney

But are you a climate scientist?

But are you a climate scientist?

No im the opposite

No im the opposite

Ah, you're just someone who disagrees with 97% of them.

Ah, you're just someone who disagrees with 97% of them.

No ive no agenda and make my own mind up with what i consider to be facts and alt facts

• Advertisement

No ive no agenda and make my own mind up with what i consider to be facts and alt facts

I take my hat off to you. It takes a lot of self-belief to disagree with 97% of the people who have spent many years studying and then dedicated their professional lives to the research of this issue.

I take my hat off to you. It takes a lot of self-belief to disagree with 97% of the people who have spent many years studying and then dedicated their professional lives to the research of this issue.

Yeah, I often use to go to church also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

B0jangles wrote: »
    The same people purport to champion "individual resonsibility", except of course when the lefties force them to be racists.

Those damn lefties also forced them to vote for Trump :(
    Trump was coming a mile off because of them. I blame the arrogant left wing fringe in America for the rise of Trump. A reality star with no experience in governing won because of them, people fed up of them just voted for Trump to spite them. It is Obama's legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Trump was coming a mile off because of them. I blame the arrogant left wing fringe in America for the rise of Trump. A reality star with no experience in governing won because of them, people fed up of them just voted for Trump to spite them. It is Obama's legacy.

You 'blame' them for Trump? You've been rooting for him and singing his praises for the last year.

Bit of buyer's remorse sneaking out perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It seems increasingly the case that if you observe a person's opinion on any one of the above four topics, the chances are you will immediately deduce their opinion on the other three (and often, perhaps: Islam, millennials, Brexit, RTE, among others)

Any time I notice someone use the word 'feminazi' on the likes of Facebook or Twitter, a quick glance at their profile usually indicates Euroscepticism, for example. They tend to hold feminists and millenials in the same ire as the 'mainstream media' and Islam.

What's the link here? Is there some secret logical thread connecting these dots?

It's a bizarre thing to observe someone's use of the word 'feminazi' and (usually*) know their opinion on issues from Brexit to... windmills.

What's the story?

*Usually: obviously there must be some Trump supporters who disagree with Brexit and support environmentalism, and who like 'milennials', or vice versa, but it's pretty rare

Everything you've listed involves being anti-establishment. What you're seeing is a set of people who don't like being told, by the mainstream establishment (media, educators, "experts", talking heads etc) that they *must* think a certain way. And people who hold intolerant views against anyone who, for instance, isn't a radical third wave "men are the root of all evil" feminist is very likely to similarly be an "oh, you support Brexit / Trump? You MUST be a racist. There's no possible legitimate reason other than you being a horrible subhuman piece of sh!t".

So essentially, these people are reactionaries - they don't like being told what to do, therefore when it seems like the entire mainstream apparatus is geared towards trying to shame them into thinking a certain way, they will push back for the sake of pushing back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is it not simply left-wing/right-wing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep climate can naturally cycle, usually down to sudden vulcanism, shifts in sun activity etc. However and outside those cycles we have seen and for quite a long time that human activity has influenced climates and environments locally and more globally. Take all those Jesus of Nazareth flicks that do the rounds at Easter, hell take the Life Of Brian and where do they film them? In arid desert like regions, Morocco and the like. Problem being that back at the time he was preaching the epistles to the apostles it didn't look like that. It wasn't nearly so arid and the arid bits were smaller. Covered in forest for a start. Nearby Lebanon was famous in the classical world for its cedars, Cedars that covered the land. Today... You mention the Romans? One of the biggest reasons they headed into the Germanic lands was for supplies of timber. They'd all but exhausted their own. Roman writers waxed lyrical and at length about trees. They were obsessed with them. They made one wild herb go completely extinct because they over harvested it. By the time of Rome the European lion was all but extinct. Earlier Greek observers had noted their slow decline and even back then put the blame on human interference. They also noted rivers silting up and local shifts in climate.
    Sorry Syph, but this is the point where you go full WTF?? 425260.gif Discovered carbon dioxide? Eh... you do realise that humans have been pumping CO2 into the atmosphere since the agricultural revolution? Burn trees you release it, clear land for farming you realise it. You speak of that "natural climate change"? Well the natural and predictable ice ages that came one after the other stopped. We should be in one now, but we're not. "Man only discovered carbon dioxide uses in 1630" I really don't know what to say... Question a theory if you will and should IMHO, but for god's sake at least do so from a position of some knowledge on the matter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Okay, swiftly backs out of thread.

You 'blame' them for Trump? You've been rooting for him and singing his praises for the last year.

Bit of buyer's remorse sneaking out perhaps?
    I'm not American and I only wanted him to win to avoid a potential conflict with Russia.  But yes I do blame them for Trump. I'd hate to live in a country like America and be told that you are a privileged person because of the colour of your skin. That alone would have made me vote for Trump.

You realise that that makes no sense whatsoever - you say you would have voted for him but at the same time you blame 'the left wing fringe' for him?

Do you blame the door when you let it slam on your own foot?

You realise that that makes no sense whatsoever - you say you would have voted for him but at the same time you blame 'the left wing fringe' for him?

Regardless of whether or not you agree with it, it makes sense.

Trump would not have got elected if the environment wasn't right for him. He timed his run absolutely perfect, the soil was just fantastic so to speak for him to grow at the right time. Trump would not have even tried to run otherwise.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with it, it makes sense.

No, it kinda, sorta makes sense if you are guessing at the reasons other people voted for Trump, whether it be a protest vote, a desperation vote or whatever other motivation you think they might have.

Pony is simultaneously saying that he/she would have voted for Trump and is also blaming The Left for the fact that he got elected.

I think its a bit much to support and want to vote for a candidate and then turn around and blame the oppostion for the fact they got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Total absence of empathy.

Is that not a crass stereotype though Ray.

Like how right wingers oftentimes stereotype leftists as beings who form viewpoints based on raw emotion instead of reason or logic.

No, it kinda, sorta makes sense if you are guessing at the reasons other people voted for Trump, whether it be a protest vote, a desperation vote or whatever other motivation you think they might have.

Pony is simultaneously saying that he/she would have voted for Trump and is also blaming The Left for the fact that he got elected.

I think its a bit much to support and want to vote for a candidate and then turn around and blame the oppostion for the fact they got elected.

I wanted Trump to win and I didn't even like him. That's how spiteful I was at being called a racist sexist, here and in real life, for not supporting Hillary.

Screw the righteous left. The American guy I mentioned here a few pages back thought I was alt-right because I didn't think it was right for lgbt people to hate and want to attack straight people. That is exactly how you get people to vote for the other candidate and for that ridiculousness alone with my friend, I hope Trump wins in 2020. Ignore human nature at your peril, mad lefties.

• Advertisement

I blame the arrogant left wing fringe in America for the rise of Trump. A reality star with no experience in governing won because of them, people fed up of them just voted for Trump to spite them. It is Obama's legacy.
    they don't like being told what to do, therefore when it seems like the entire mainstream apparatus is geared towards trying to shame them into thinking a certain way, they will push back for the sake of pushing back.

You can absolutely claim that some people voted for Trump out of spite, just like a person cutting off his nose to spite his face.

However, it's clearly a stupid thing to do.

@A Little Pony: There's a big difference between understanding why some people did a really ridiculous thing, and actually criticising everyone else on it, based on the fact that you dislike their tone.

I mean that is an objectively stupid voting strategy. Just because some people may have acted that way, doesn't make put them in the right. It makes them look like a bunch of nitwits.

I wanted Trump to win and I didn't even like him. That's how spiteful I was at being called a racist sexist, here and in real life, for not supporting Hillary.

Screw the righteous left. The American guy I mentioned here a few pages back thought I was alt-right because I didn't think it was right for lgbt people to hate and want to attack straight people. That is exactly how you get people to vote for the other candidate and for that ridiculousness alone with my friend, I hope Trump wins in 2020. Ignore human nature at your peril, mad lefties.

That's incredibly childish behaviour- absolutely and unbelievably childish.

Calling people sexist racists because they don't support your candidate is childish. Voting for someone because she's a woman is childish. Calling millions of Americans deplorable is childish. Ignoring every single scandal pre-election and expecting people to care about the ones after it is childish.

So if you want to call me a child for being spiteful at people for calling me a sexist racist for being pro-Sanders, then I'm a 2-year-old. And I didn't even have a vote, nor am I American, so what am I going to remember.... Trump's sexist comments or my "friends" ridiculous accusations to my fuking face? I was delighted they got defeated after what they said to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

We live in a generation where people blame everyone else for their own problems.

Taking responsibility for one's own actions seems to be redundant to some.

We live in a generation where people blame everyone else for their own problems.

Taking responsibility for one's own actions seems to be redundant to some.

You thanked his post so I guess this was aimed at me. What action, as an Irish person, should I take responsibility for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You thanked his post so I guess this was aimed at me. What action, as an Irish person, should I take responsibility for?

Why do people call you a racist and sexist in real life?
    There must be a reason?

What have you done to be called those labels?

Is that not a crass stereotype though Ray.

Like how right wingers oftentimes stereotype leftists as beings who form viewpoints based on raw emotion instead of reason or logic.

I'm talking about those people (thankfully only a tiny minority) who hold all the right-wing opinions: Opinions that require - at the very least - the suspension of empathy. When someone's constantly expressing the most cold-hearted, no-nonsense, oh-so-logical views on every topic, there comes a point when you decide that maybe you are, in fact, dealing with a cunt.

Why do people call you a racist and sexist in real life?
    There must be a reason?

What have you done to be called those labels?

Pro-Sanders got it a few times. Anti-Hillary after that got it more. No, I'm not a bad person, as much as you want that to be true.

But anyways, you just proved my point by calling me a sexist racist because of my viewpoint. So eh, thanks I guess for proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

You can absolutely claim that some people voted for Trump out of spite, just like a person cutting off his nose to spite his face.
    However, it's clearly a stupid thing to do.

When the two strategies presented were either vote for idiot A out of spite or vote for idiot B because of their gender I'm not sure either option isn't stupid :(

• Advertisement

tritium wrote: »
    When the two strategies presented were either vote for idiot A out of spite or vote for idiot B because of their gender I'm not sure either option isn't stupid :(

The entire thing was stupid after Sanders was out. He was the only one to bring it back to actual politics and issues. Even if you don't like him, he was always firm on trying to make the national debate productive.

After that, it was a shltshow. Trump's supporters ridiculed others, just like Clinton's. But whereas Trump's did it among themselves, Clinton's supporters had the moral highground so were happy to throw out -ists at everyone who wasn't on their side. I'd truly love to see a breakdown on personal insults among friends based on who they supported.

If you start calling people sexists for not giving a crap about gender politics, you're gonna turn them into Make America Great Again voters because that means not having little 20-year-old idiots getting away with calling you a sexist because of x,y and z. You make people who wouldn't have voted, vote against you.

Advertisement