Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change, Feminism, White Genocide, Donald Trump

Options
  • 14-08-2017 1:19pm

It seems increasingly the case that if you observe a person's opinion on any one of the above four topics, the chances are you will immediately deduce their opinion on the other three (and often, perhaps: Islam, millennials, Brexit, RTE, among others)

Any time I notice someone use the word 'feminazi' on the likes of Facebook or Twitter, a quick glance at their profile usually indicates Euroscepticism, for example. They tend to hold feminists and millenials in the same ire as the 'mainstream media' and Islam.

What's the link here? Is there some secret logical thread connecting these dots?

It's a bizarre thing to observe someone's use of the word 'feminazi' and (usually*) know their opinion on issues from Brexit to... windmills.

What's the story?

*Usually: obviously there must be some Trump supporters who disagree with Brexit and support environmentalism, and who like 'milennials', or vice versa, but it's pretty rare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Boredom. Human fúcking boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It's as if these people went to college in the States and after a few weeks they were invited to the frat house to get laid.

Upon reaching the entrance of the frat house they were informed "Dude, you need an ideology to get into the frat house maan!"

"Hey dude there's a guy selling ideologies over there, get one quick then you can come in and get laid"

(lad walks over to fella dressed in American flag holding a pack of ideologies and quickly picks up an off-the-shelf ideology before heading back to the frat house to drop his pants)

No independent thought required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It's the politics of fear.
    White men afraid that their power and place in the world is receding.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd fly in the face of that rule tbh... I'm anti-feminist as I believe it's become a group (in the Western World at least) that effectively lobbys against rather than for equality, but I believe Climate Change is real, Donald Trump is a reality TV star whose elevation to the Oval Office is a sad reflection of the failings of the American education system and I don't even recognise the term "White Genocide"?

Islam makes me uncomfortable though tbh. I don't like the religion's treatment of women and while I agree that people have the right to their religious beliefs, and not to be discriminated against for holding them, I think they're all nonsense and have no place in education, healthcare or any public institution.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd fly in the face of that rule tbh... I'm anti-feminist as I believe it's become a group (in the Western World at least) that effectively lobbys against rather than for equality, but I believe Climate Change is real, Donald Trump is a reality TV star whose elevation to the Oval Office is a sad reflection of the failings of the American education system and I don't even recognise the term "White Genocide"?
    Well I'm mainly talking about the employment of derogatory language like 'feminazi' as opposed to 'everyone who doesn't identify as a feminist'.

Nevertheless, there are outliers, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

There's plenty of people with nuanced views. Unfortunately the far left and the far right are the people that shout the loudest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When talking about the far left or right, it's a bunch of extremely fragile people moaning about how others have uncritically adopted an entire warped ideology and use it to sling about empty terms and blame everybody else for everything, while not having the self-awareness to realise they are guilty of exactly the same thing as those they criticise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

What's the link here? Is there some secret logical thread connecting these dots?

Total absence of empathy.

It seems increasingly the case that if you observe a person's opinion on any one of the above four topics, the chances are you will immediately deduce their opinion on the other three (and often, perhaps: Islam, millennials, Brexit, RTE, among others)

Any time I notice someone use the word 'feminazi' on the likes of Facebook or Twitter, a quick glance at their profile usually indicates Euroscepticism, for example. They tend to hold feminists and millenials in the same ire as the 'mainstream media' and Islam.

It's a bizarre thing to observe someone's use of the word 'feminazi' and (usually*) know their opinion on issues from Brexit to... windmills.

What's the story?

*Usually: obviously there must be some Trump supporters who disagree with Brexit and support environmentalism, and who like 'milennials', or vice versa, but it's pretty rare

The link is that they see things like the EU or liberals as disempowering them and things like sticking it to the man (or EU, or feminazis, or environmentalists, or anyone who wants them to modify their behaviour) as empowering. Trump is a boor, bulldozing to get the results he wants, and he's an aspirational figure for the masses who would love to just take what they want or say what they want, but feel they're being stifled by the 'PC brigade'.

I forget who said it but I read someone saying that Trump is not a strong man, but he's what weak men think a strong man is like. The weak men who get upset because a woman complains about being groped (instead of just shutting up like in the good old days when men ruled the world and the roost) are the ones who will stand behind ole Grab 'Em By The Pussy until the very bitter end.

The motivated ignorance of accepting such catchphrases as 'Fake News' even when it's a blatant truth is also a feature of the same crowd. Nothing is allowed challenge their view that Muslims, feminazis, libtards, leftists, and the mainstream meeja are everything that's wrong with the world. They need a saviour like Trump or Farage - or Jeremy Clarkson! - to restore the world to the utopia when men were men and women and johnny foreigner knew their place.

It's handy to have something or someone to blame for everything wrong with your life while also giving you a cause. I'm being slightly tongue in cheek here. Slightly.

The problem with this ilk is that there are sometimes decent points to be made in among the dung, but the smell of bigotry and intolerance is so overpowering that they're missed or dismissed as being more of the same and nobody takes anything they say seriously. Motivated ignorance can work from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

White Genocide? Presumably thats the same thing as White genocide conspiracy theory on wikipedia? I literally never came across this before. If this is believable then im going to re-read the Holocaust denial theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's a bubble. People with one view generally end up talking to others who hold the same views online. Then they come in contact with other stuff and buy into it too.

That's a generalisation of course so it's not true always but it is to a certain extent. I'd say that if you hold one of those opinions it increases your chance of holding another. When you hold two opinions there's an even greater chance of picking up a third. And this works for most groups, not just the right wing.

And as i said, it's a generalisation. I said there's a chance, not that they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Syphonax wrote: »
    White Genocide? Presumably thats the same thing as White genocide conspiracy theory on wikipedia? I literally never came across this before. If this is believable then im going to re-read the Holocaust denial theory.

I've seen it here a few times. generally they bring up Peter Sutherland and say that "Liberals" and "Neo liberals" and "Globalists" want to swamp people with foreigners (generally muslims) so that they destroy european culture and race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't share my views on any of those subjects here, I'm too busy showing my contempt for useless goodfornothing cnuts!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Whites are keen on the sex, not so much on the babas though; ergo - their own fault.
    That said, Sutherland is probably the President Jackson of our times. If you feel he has our interests at heart - go ahead. I won't be joining you. The EU are power-hungry federalists who will walk over us to their goal. In fact, they already have several times. Britain won't be the last to leave. A currency union without fiscal union was utterly insane, akin to giving a single person in Busaras control of all the coaches' brakepedals around Ireland.
    I would be pro women's rights and equality. Only a bitter bastard would argue against it. Trump is a reality TV nonce. Humans aren't powerful enough to alter climate in either direction to any meaningful extent. They are ants on a beach ball. Millenials can't be judged against other generations because their circumstances are entirely different. I admire them and wish them well.

So OP - can you package me up and sell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It sounds like you're fond of labelling people and putting them in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think the majority of people hold more nuanced views but the crazed margins just seem more prevalent online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

You would think the way some 'feminists' rabbit on in countries like the US or UK or IRE they were living under brutal Islamic oppression. I can perfectly understand feminism during the times of Pankhurst but some just want to chase the next 'civil rights' case, make themselves feel good and hope this generation did something,  even if it is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Sleepy wrote: »

Islam makes me uncomfortable though tbh. I don't like the religion's treatment of women and while I agree that people have the right to their religious beliefs, and not to be discriminated against for holding them, I think they're all nonsense and have no place in education, healthcare or any public institution.

Can I join your ideology?

Syphonax wrote: »
    It's not something you tend to observe in this tranquil corner of the internet, more on Twitter and Facebook.

What are the chances this shower oppose Trump, favour environmentalism, and have no strong feelings towards, say, transgender people?

https://twitter.com/BurningRomeInc/status/897108810967502848

https://twitter.com/Death_Thumbs/status/897102244281241600

https://twitter.com/TomFauld/status/897101508310859777

https://twitter.com/MaryLuvsFreedom/status/897101001584455684

https://twitter.com/EDMLive/status/897097931240742912

It sounds like you're fond of labelling people and putting them in a box.
    Only if they're white. All part of the great white genocide (for safety's sake, I identify as a 53-year old black trucker named Yolanda).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Only if they're white. All part of the great white genocide (for safety's sake, I identify as a 53-year old black trucker named Yolanda).

You used the word 'black'

Racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You used the word 'black'

Racist.

It's OK if he's actually black ... oh wait, colour and race are social constructs, so we should all go round calling each other the "n" word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I see the same thing. People hide it in real life but it's there.
    I don't know what white genocide is, but white guilt is the basis of political correctness. Only a white person can be racist and only a man can be sexist, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

professore wrote: »
    It's OK if he's actually black ... oh wait, colour and race are social constructs, so we should all go round calling each other the "n" word.

Naggers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Only one of those issues can have an impact on me getting bread at the end of the day. The rest of'em can stir it up amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You would think the way some 'feminists' rabbit on in countries like the US or UK or IRE they were living under brutal Islamic oppression. I can perfectly understand feminism during the times of Pankhurst but some just want to chase the next 'civil rights' case, make themselves feel good and hope this generation did something,  even if it is ridiculous.

So, women should just shut up and be happy with the inequalities that still exist? Because you don't think they are bad enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Lux23 wrote: »

So, women should just shut up and be happy with the inequalities that still exist? Because you don't think they are bad enough?
    Name some. Please don't say gender pay gap because that is nonsense. Women in the workforce have different lifestyles generally and take leave more often. If you said to me women didn't have the vote, weren't allowed to work or oppressed under religious subjugation like many are in the Muslim world, I would agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Candie wrote: »
    I forget who said it but I read someone saying that Trump is not a strong man, but he's what weak men think a strong man is like.

I think it was Peggy Noonan who said that. And she's an old school Republican too. I certainly read a recent article by her which was along those lines.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I think it was Peggy Noonan who said that. And she's an old school Republican too. I certainly read a recent article by her which was along those lines.

The one where she says he's now become an unfunny Woody Allen? Ironically, I laughed at that one. :)

I think I read it in the New Yorker, it was along the lines of "Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a stupid man's idea of a smart man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Vote For Pedro.

Advertisement