Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Not so much the remote and the drone, more the remote and the camera. The drone still seems to connect, and i can pair them using the button on the drone (where the camera sits), and it seems to pair just fine.

It's just getting the camera itself to work. I can see through the camera lens on the phone, but it doesn't actually work for me if i try to move it or take a photo/video.

Here are two screenshots, to give an example. POV is fine with the camera working, but on the bottom left it's telling me no camera is attached (N/A):

DRONE01.png

And if i try to calibrate it:

DRONE02.png

(but yet it must be detected, as i can see through it...?!).

It's frustrating, as I have all the pieces of another drone there if i can get that to work. :(

I had this exact same problem - never resolved it and ended up ordering a new one, gearbest were a nuisance to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I had my first proper outing with the drone yesterday. Its great fun! I’m not sure I will ever be too bothered about shooting video with it but it was great fun just flying it around a field and getting used to the controls.

I had one panicked moment where I couldn’t see it in the sky (Was still in line of sight) but it was fine once I used the phone screen to get my bearings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I had my first proper outing with the drone yesterday. Its great fun! I’m not sure I will ever be too bothered about shooting video with it but it was great fun just flying it around a field and getting used to the controls.

Nice one, it really is a superb flying drone. Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

Hi,

In this drone should you be able to see the camera on the phone no matter how far away the from is. Mine cannot see the camera on the phone if it is more than 50 meters away. It still records. Once it comes back camera displays on phone again. It also does not show battery left or anything just drone out of range.

newholland wrote:
    In this drone should you be able to see the camera on the phone no matter how far away the from is. Mine cannot see the camera on the phone if it is more than 50 meters away. It still records. Once it comes back camera displays on phone again. It also does not show battery left or anything just drone out of range.

Are you in line of site of the drone, it shouldn't lose connection until a lot further away. Where are you flying it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would it go 1km before you lose connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

surely it goes further than 1km.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Would it go 1km before you lose connection?

bassy wrote:
    surely it goes further than 1km.

Yep and yep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep and yep

ted how far have you flown your drone away from you and do you always have to keep it in your eyesight in the air>?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 spiller9020

Are the antennas perpendicular with drone. Antennas tips should be pointing towards ground and facing drone. If that doesn't solve it, and your range is still too short (less than 50m), probably antenna connector is not properly fixed inside drone. Unfortunately this is a common problem and only way to fix is open case and manually plug in again the connectors. It's non complicated but not for all users. I posted a video a while back of a strip down of a drone, antenna cable is in leg of drone, follow cable to little circuit board on drone, it's usually push on clip.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    ted how far have you flown your drone away from you and do you always have to keep it in your eyesight in the air>?

Flew straight out to sea to test..

bassy wrote:

Buildings and trees get in the way, so always needs to be in line of sight.

These are what the antennas connectors look like

Fimi X8 SE footage

Still one month until release, but should be sub 400euro....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

tedpan, where is the best (reliable) place to buy Fimi x8?

tw0nk wrote:
    tedpan, where is the best (reliable) place to buy Fimi x8?

Unfortunately there's nowhere without taking a risk on customs. Gearbest and banggood have the drone(preorder), although my experience with gearbest has been better with only 1 out of at least 20 orders was stopped for customs vs 2 out of 2 with banggood.

Not sure if it was this thread but somebody listed a discount code which brought the price down to 389e at gearbest.

Both companies have terrible customer service and support but deliver the product, patience is also a requirement with deliveries averaging 3 weeks.

The drone isn't released for another month, so basically forget about it and you'll get a nice surprise in about two months. I think this one will be worth the wait..

Gearbest would be the best in my opinion for orders, my first drone which i ordered of Banggood was stopped at customs ( 100 euro fee) a drone battery i order also got nabbed by customs , i have order over 50 items from gearbest including drones and had no problems getting through customs. As tedpan said patience is a requirement with deliveries and their tracking system is useless ( just forget about it till it arrives, my average waits are approx 3 weeks). Always select priority line delivery to ireland, shipping via DHL, UPS, etc.... will get you flagged by customs. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Gearbest would be the best in my opinion for orders, my first drone which i ordered of Banggood was stopped at customs ( 100 euro fee) a drone battery i order also got nabbed by customs , i have order over 50 items from gearbest including drones and had no problems getting through customs. As tedpan said patience is a requirement with deliveries and their tracking system is useless ( just forget about it till it arrives, my average waits are approx 3 weeks). Always select priority line delivery to ireland, shipping via DHL, UPS, etc.... will get you flagged by customs. hope this helps.

Or on gearbest they do ship some items from EU warehouses in Czech republic, you can select it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A few dumb questions from someone who has less than a beginner's knowledge:

Should you not use it in the rain? How does it handle strong winds? Is it suitable in any way for use in a residential area like a big back garden or are we talking long distance use mainly?

They are not waterproof.

A few dumb questions from someone who has less than a beginner's knowledge:

Should you not use it in the rain? How does it handle strong winds? Is it suitable in any way for use in a residential area like a big back garden or are we talking long distance use mainly?

Never fly in rain or strong winds.

It's a violation of IAA policy to fly near buildings or gatherings of people without express consent from the concerned parties.

These drones give you the best rewarrs when used out in nature's wide open spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Strongly considering buying this. Are there extras I should consider buying with it? Battery etc?

https://m.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_1315310.html?wid=1349303

Also, is WiFi connector essential?

Also, are there any discount codes going?

Noob to this, any advice appreciated.

WiFi connector (USB dongle) not essential, I never use it. 380 euro on gearbest is abt the best price at the moment. An extra battery is definitely a must and maybe a backpack case for transportation. Ensure you use priority shipping from gearbest to avoid customs. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

My drone arrived!

I have the RC connected with the iPhone cable however, the Mi drone WiFi network isn’t showing up on my phone.

Any ideas?

My drone arrived!

Nice one!
    I have the RC connected with the iPhone cable however, the Mi drone WiFi network isn’t showing up on my phone.
    Does it work with the cable?

I've never connected the controller using the WiFi dongle, so not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

My drone arrived!

Any ideas?

Are you setting up your personal hot spot? I find I have to do that every time I use the drone with an iPhone.

Going to get one of these when the price is reduced a bit. What would ye reckon a good price is and how low have you seen this price reduced to in the past if I can ask?

310e is the lowest I've seen, that was well over a year ago. If you can get it for around 380e you're doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Going to get one of these when the price is reduced a bit. What would ye reckon a good price is and how low have you seen this price reduced to in the past if I can ask?

You could pre order the fimi x8 the successor to the mi drone that's getting a lot of rave reviews for 370 from banggood with the 502C6B code. It's in pre order stage at moment though so you'll be waiting a month or two for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

scottigael wrote: »
    You could pre order the fimi x8 the successor to the mi drone that's getting a lot of rave reviews for 370 from banggood with the 502C6B code. It's in pre order stage at moment though so you'll be waiting a month or two for it.

Reviews I've seen are mixed.

See a lot of ppl getting them on facebook groups and being disappointed. Gimbal on camera not steady and not being able to handle any kind of wind at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭padair

Does anyone know where app had gone on the app store? Can't find it anywhere more

• Advertisement

padair wrote:
    Does anyone know where app had gone on the app store? Can't find it anywhere more

No idea, I checked last week and it's not available. Maybe Google have removed it temporarily? The apk is available if you search on Google.

Advertisement