Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural - Season 13 *Spoilers*

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Penultimate ep wasn't all that great, tbh. Anyway - bring on the finale.

No Wayward Sisters spin off, if you've not already heard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yikes, that was all over the place. Didn't think it was great. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pretty underwhelming finale alright. I'm generally more of a fan of the standalone episodes than the big Season Arc stuff anyway, but this "cliffhanger" just seemed all too familiar. We've been here with Dean and Sam several times, but with Dean in particular over the last few years, we've already had Dean-mon and the Mark of Cain as season finale cliffhangers. Michael taking over Dean's body for me was very 'meh' - we already know its not gonna stick. They'll resolve that within a few episodes next season I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next season I need to see Sam and Dean taking on the Wacky Racers in the Impala.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In fairness, Jensen posted a picture of his new 'role' on Instagram last week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhzweLRgTe7/?hl=en&taken-by=jensenackles

I was 100% sure that it was going to be apocalypse-world Dean.

In hindsight, I think I would have preferred that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

How's Jensen Ackles' Brummie accent?

"By order of the Peaky F*cking Winchesters!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That felt like a very rushed ending.
    And the wire work during that fight was awful, especially with Lucifer's run before jumping.

Not being an expert on the situation, if you were going to stab yourself with a knife, wouldn't you do it quickly rather than slowly?

With that final shot with Dean's eyes, all we were missing was either a Vincent Price laugh or the Twilight Zone music

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah we were both a little disappointed too.

For starters, half the characters from last week just fecked off - Ketch, Rowena, Charlie. I suppose the episode would have been too crowded with them in it.

Then there a feeling like they didn't quite know how to wrap it up. Now I was happy enough with the Lucifer/Jack stuff as that has been brewing all season but the fight itself was underwhelming and yep, poor wire work. If they weren't able to do it convincingly, then they shouldn't have bothered. I wonder if Ackles just wanted to fly around after all these years and had it put in...

It's the final ending though that was the biggest disappointment. We've been here before. I least hope they let it play out for longer this time. From reading an interview, Ackles was saying how he was happy to finally get to play someone new so, given he's a producer, did he push for something like this? And is he a Peaky Blinders fan?
    The glowing eyes thing was weird - saw someone think it was a nod to 'Thriller'. Director Robert Singer is a veteran of the show so there was some reason for it.

Yeah i was trying to reference the Thriller video when I said the Christopher Lee laugh. Of course i always get the Hammer guys mixed up and meant Vincent Price. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

You know I really do believe that we as the fans have something to own up for. It's our love of the show that keeps it going (like look were heading into season 14 for heavens sake!) but I think that also comes at a cost. That cost is the eventual diluting of the shows cannon and previous story telling to the point where you get a season finale like the one just witnessed and even again some of the scenes from last weeks episode. The longer Supernatural runs the more watered down certain elements get.

Compare this season just gone and last nights finale with say the finale of season five... I kind of have a greater appreciation for that now no over the top poorly done wire works or arch angel hadouken style fights. Sometimes in the not showing there is greater mystery a greater appreciation leaving it up to the imagination. Take season five the expected battle between Luci and Michael, we could be told as extra dimensional entities that their battle wouldn't necessarily have to be something even witness-able to humans!

I don't feel I'm articulating this very well... but just look at the scene from when Cas was first introduced and angels in general...all they were capable of and the very alien unknowable enigma of them

We've gone from that to an extreme of over exposure and I think a very fast and loose style of retconning with the shows internal cannon.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Supernatural I LOVE me some wayward son playing and always will but as seasons and time goes on these things nag me more and more and yet it's my love for the show that pushes it and perpetuates it more so its a viscous cycle! I know posters here have highlighted (and they're right too) the excellent nature of some of the standalone episodes and the comedy that can be found in nearly all episodes but I do think were reaching a point of no return or diminishing returns.

I think I can safely say we all seen every plot point coming in that and the last few episodes! Heck I've even solved the problem for next season..All they need is another men of letters angel caster outter egg thing they used on Lucifer before and the jobs done. Dean will be back in the first 2-3 episodes...just like Deanmon

/Ramblings over :D

That video backs up what I was thinking about how when Castiel first appeared his true form burned the eyes of someone. So why don't all angels just do that to their enemies.
    And speaking of angels, remember the whole heaven thing? That was suddenly and randomly dropped. Lucifer is now God. Nope never mind. Let's forget that happened but we'll bring back Naomi with no real explanation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

As an episode, I didn't think it had a lot of drive. I barely remember Maggie. Or Michael. Fun to see Bobby in a bunker properly - guessing he helps get Dean back next year. Let's stop regurgitating old villains, though, k?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That video backs up what I was thinking about how when Castiel first appeared his true form burned the eyes of someone. So why don't all angels just do that to their enemies.

That's when they're in their own domain I imagine.
    On earth it seems both Angels and Demons have to have a host body to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I haven't watched since wayward sisters but just on the getting stale thing.

I'm enjoying this and last season more than some of the post S5. Some have been hit and then others pick up nicely. For instance the season where Mitch Pileggi came back as grand dad and Sam had no soul

The problem is this. There's too much resurrection of characters.

I rolled my eyes to high heaven when i saw Castiel coming back. I know Misha has a good fan base but it's bad enough Sam and Dean coming back from the dead how many times between them?

It's like there's no bit of tension as you know that they'll bring back whatever characters suit.

When Crowley was killed off they should have 100% kept Cas and Rowena dead too

From reading the last few posts even Charlie seems to have appeared I'm guessing as the alternate reality version like Bobby.

I think a nice way to freshen things would be get back to the hunting monsters and spirits.

So permanently kill of Cas, have the men of letters bunker leveled to ground and get back to the road. Either kill or lock up Lucifer and put him to bed at this stage and have the angels decide to just seal themselves off in Heaven

A nice way to have the likes of Bobby come back for a episode would be say Sam and Dean investigate a case Bobby worked so it's a flashback episode with him and Rufus rather than this alternative reality thing

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Well despite criticisms of the show getting stale et al my own included! one still can't help but LOVE the fact that the fandom can produce things like these!

There ain't no community like the supernatural community. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Very good, lady dean had it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Well despite criticisms of the show getting stale et al my own included! one still can't help but LOVE the fact that the fandom can produce things like these!

There ain't no community like the supernatural community. :D

Their first one is miles better. Based on a Taylor Swift song as I found out later. Addictive as hell though , it’s on my YouTube playlist.
    Their Sherlock Holmes one is good as well but they’ve never hit the highs of the first supernatural parody.

Advertisement