Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you believe in the curse on the mayo football team

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

No they just keep getting beat by better teams.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 ShmuckRyan

What was Gavin thinking taking Brogan off that early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Curse taking shape in the form of The Kingdom this Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The curse is that they are way too wound up before matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Curse? Nonsense.....there's no mystery here, Mayo have been unlucky to be serious competitors at the same time as fine Kerry and exceptional Dubs teams of the last 10-15 years. Its a credit to them that they keep coming back for more but its difficult to have any sympathy for them when they are consistently beaten by better teams. In spite of that, they have left a couple of big games behind them and in the case of 06, they just didn't turn up. When you get to as many semi's and finals as they have in recent years, its no surprise that they don't perform to their peak every time.....Kerry and Dublin (being the 2 main and consistent examples in the last 10 years) tend to do it on the day more often than not...part of me actually wants them to win so that we don't have to listen to this $hite of curses and how they "deserve" to win one...

i'd be fearful for Kerry on sunday against Mayo to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me if they beat them. They seem to be peaking at the right time and they've a decent run of games behind them to have learnt from...too many gaps between matches for provincial winners which means they could be caught cold....counter argument of course is fatigue through the back door so its hard to know which can be better....

Shaping up nicely though.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Sympathy? As someone from mayo, I'm sorry but not one Mayo supporter would ask for your sympathy. I can genuinely say we love our football, look forward to the championship . We have had a great run of being in the top four the last couple of years, bloody hurts when it doesn't work out. But if you look at attendance we support our lads every time, year in , year out regardless. I think a minority of moaners in other counties love to go on about this curse and bash the lads , yet their own counties don't even get through qualifiers.

I've no idea if we'll beat Kerry , looking forward to a great match against a great team, but I'll be there supporting the lads as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

elsa21 wrote: »
    Sympathy? As someone from mayo, I'm sorry but not one Mayo supporter would ask for your sympathy. I can genuinely say we love our football, look forward to the championship . We have had a great run of being in the top four the last couple of years, bloody hurts when it doesn't work out. But if you look at attendance we support our lads every time, year in , year out regardless. I think a minority of moaners in other counties love to go on about this curse and bash the lads , yet their own counties don't even get through qualifiers.

I've no idea if we'll beat Kerry , looking forward to a great match against a great team, but I'll be there supporting the lads as usual.

ye might not look for sympathy but ye certainly get it outside of the county from the "bleedin heart club" that's for sure....but in fairness you'd want a heart of stone not to feel a certain amount of empathy for a lot of these lads who've come so close on a number of occasions now at this stage. But it doesn't seem to impact them nearly as much as the "sympathizers" probably think it does and even though I wouldn't be Mayo's biggest fan (don't really like a few of their marque players or the whole will they won't they poor them circus, which is not the teams fault obviously) I have nothing but admiration for the team for that.....Sunday's game will be a cracker i'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

mattser wrote: »
    kupus wrote: »
    Less of the old bottler sh1tetalk, if they were bottlers then 7 semifinals in a row is what?

Between freakish goals conceded in finals and balls that normally never bounce that friggen high to go over for a point ( i still remember the silence after that point meath scored to level the match, nobody could believe what happened in front of their eyes)
    Another game that maurice fitzgerald was on fire for (one of the finest players ever in the history of gaa)

After all that, and yet here mayo are again in a semi.

But bottlers you say.

Really ?. Never mind the fact that they were about six points up and cruising. No, it was the bounce of a ball that did it.
    Then in the replay they started a row, and got whipped. Went ahead again, and couldn't see it out.
    They didnt start a row. A vile human being said something unspeakable to an opponent that sparked a reasonable violent reaction. If the scumbag had said the same thing to me he wouldnt have lived to walk up the steps. As for the Colm point I never saw anything paranormal about a rubber bouncy thing filled with air bouncing. It was just the rubber bouncy thing doing its thing. If the Mayo goal keeper had done his thing and prevented the rubber bouncy thing from actually bouncing well the rest would have been history. I followed Mayo from a young age and never heard of the 'curse' untill recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

screamer wrote: »
    Doing something is half envisioning it and believing you can do it and half effort.

So you don't believe in all that individual skill, strength, ability to work in a team, depth of squad, quality of coaching, team formation and selection, tactics, substitutions etc. etc.

Just get a lot of fellows who will put in a lot of effort and "envision it"?

That stuff would get laughed out the gate here in Kerry. You need a lot more than effort and belief to win an All Ireland.
    I laugh at a county so inbred it elects mentally challenged individuals to public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I laugh at a county so inbred it elects mentally challenged individuals to public office.

There are very few counties who don't have anything to be embarrassed about if you look at who they elected.

I know mine does - I'm from Mayo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement